SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think the funny thing about Captain Marvel is the negative trolling campaign. It failed spectacularly, and now the adherents jumping to next sinking ship of excuses. Is it the best movie of all time? No. But they want it to fail so badly that they've become a hilarious parody.

First it was going to bomb opening weekend, then it wouldn't make $500 million, then it wouldn't make $1 billion, then it wouldn't pass the domestic take of <insert movie here>, then it's because it's a Marvel movie (well, duh :doh:), then it's ascribing descriptions to how it passed $1 billlion (e.g., crawling, lumbering, just stretching, etc.), and that doesn't even get into the all the failed financial analyses that fall apart within a day or two of the aritcle/video; e.g., "It didn't even pass Deadpool's domestic box office!" (passes Deadpool domestic box office the next day). Their seething hatred is apparent, and I think when Captain Marvel and Black Panther are the titles that garner such attention, that's certainly an indicator.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Not even remotely true, but thanks for playing.

Yes, it's true.

I'm an entertainment critic by day, and I can tell you from experience that people watch what ratings I give to certain films.

If I give low marks to a film that's being pushed by the "good and proper" crowd, or high marks to a film that they want to see go away, they pounce.

For example, remember the adaptation of "Ender's Game"? The "good and proper" crowd wanted it to go away because of Orson Scott Card, yet I rated the movie based on the movie itself... and as a result, I was gay-bashed by these same individuals despite being very openly straight.

So yes... it happens.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Y

For example, remember the adaptation of "Ender's Game"? The "good and proper" crowd wanted it to go away because of Orson Scott Card, yet I rated the movie based on the movie itself... and as a result, I was gay-bashed by these same individuals despite being very openly straight.

I don't understand what that means.

If you're saying that liberals "gay-bashed" you, I don't understand what "gay-bashed" means.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's true.
No, it really isn't. I'm on the left and very little to me is political.

I'm an entertainment critic by day, and I can tell you from experience that people watch what ratings I give to certain films.
Okay.

If I give low marks to a film that's being pushed by the "good and proper" crowd, or high marks to a film that they want to see go away, they pounce.
There are trolls of every political persuasion. Should we return to talking about the pre-release response to Captain Marvel?

Should I believe those trolls represent the entirety of the political right?

As I said above, there are trolls of every political persuasion.

BTW, I saw "Ender's Game" and I've read the books. I thought the movie was pretty good and I could not possibly care less about Card's political views.

So yes... it happens.
I'm not doubting that it happens. I'm simply doubting that trolls represent the entirety of a single political spectrum.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, a lot of their box office draw is because they've built a brand in a deliberate matter. However, the movie still has to be decent enough to get anywhere and the folks at Marvel are pretty smart about writing films that audiences enjoy.

Agreed, it definitely was a decent movie and many liked it - it had a lot of the action movie tropes that get higher ratings.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0