Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"White privilege" doesn't actually exist. If it did, more poor white people would be able to exploit this "privilege" to get out of poverty.

Some of us understand the theory of "white privilege," but believe it to be false and unsupported by data.
You are clearly not among those who understand. White privilege isnt a magic wand for every conceivable situation. Its just a relative advantage compared to being non-white in similar circumstances..

• Agree
Reactions: Evan Jellicoe
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
At the same time, there is also lots of plain racism among law enforcement. Some conscious white-robe style, but most is probably just baked-in to the culture of policing and the society at large. I mean crime statistics are worth nothing when explaining why an individual black guy who's done nothing wrong could be followed around like he must be a suspect of something, which happens all the time..... And its not just police practices. There's been policies of using black neighborhoods as basically piggy banks for funding police departments with the absurd escalations of penalties for little tiny things. I cant even get started on the insane and racist "war on drugs" without writing a whole novel.....
Very true.

‘I Got Tired of Hunting Black and Hispanic People’
NJ Police Targeted Black and Latino Neighborhoods to Fulfill Ticket Quotas, Cops Say
DOJ finds Ferguson targeted African-Americans, used courts mainly to increase revenue

There are many other stories that find the same practices done across the country.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It does, actually. Most crime is indeed intraracial. That said, a black person is far more likely to kill a white person than the other way around; and a black person is far more likely to commit a murder than a white person is; and a black person is far more likely to be the victim of a murder than a white person is.

White (incl. Hispanic) killing white (incl. Hispanic): 2,677
White (incl. Hispanic) killing black: 234
Black killing black: 2,600
Black killing white (incl. Hispanic): 514
My apologies. This is what happens when one doesn’t read clearly enough.

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is a racist argument. Whites were the leading cause of white homicide, yet no one feels the need to point this out. Most crime is intraracial.
Now that I’ve read this right, how is it racist to say that blacks are more likely to be killed by other blacks?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are clearly not among those who understand.

Oh, I understand, all right.

White privilege isnt a magic wand for every conceivable situation. Its just a relative advantage compared to being non-white in similar circumstances..

And if that were true, the "advantage" should show up statistically, even after controlling for other factors.

And it doesn't.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Really, what kind of benefits because I seem to be missing out? Last I checked minorities qualify for more benefits than caucasians.
That’s just your privilege talking. You don’t need benefits if you are white.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...And if that were true, the "advantage" should show up statistically, even after controlling for other factors.

And it doesn't.
I think whites fare better on pretty much every social statistic we track. Is there something else youre referring to?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think whites fare better on pretty much every social statistic we track. Is there something else youre referring to?

But that effect disappears when you control for other factors. Race is not actually the causative factor. "White privilege" doesn't actually exist.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is white privilege? What questions should white Americans be asking? Two academics weigh in

White privilege is the automatic, taken-for-granted advantage bestowed upon white people as a result of living in a society based on the premise of white as the human ideal, and that from its founding established white advantage as a matter of law and today as a matter of policy and practice.

No I don’t buy it. Yeah sure a black person might go somewhere and it’s possible they might be discriminated against and as a result they might not get a particular job but that’s not going to happen on a scale that will greatly influence their life. Your not going to come across business after business that won’t hire you because your black. It will not happen. There are a lot of successful black Americans, We’ve had a black president who served two terms. I think a lot of people assume they are being discriminated against when they might not be. I see it happening with George Floyd’s case. There’s no evidence to support racial discrimination in that case but that’s what everyone is claiming. It’s an assumption that has no evidence to support it and I see this happening quite often.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Now that I’ve read this right, how is it racist to say that blacks are more likely to be killed by other blacks?
When discussing issues of police brutality, there invariably a person that will call out "black-on-black" crime as an issue. Most crime is intraracial, so pointing this out is not needed. The fact that white-on-white crime is not term proves that point. But in the broader context, those that bring this up are trying to derail the discussion from police misconduct, it's akin to bringing up heart disease killing more Americans in a discussion about terrorism. Moreover, the people that bring this up don't actually care about the topic; many black activists and organizations are focused on broader issues of crime, the people that make these statements are unaware of this because they actually don't care about the topic, they simply want to distract from the topic of police misconduct.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But that effect disappears when you control for other factors. Race is not actually the causative factor. "White privilege" doesn't actually exist.
How do you know this? I mean, are there race-sorted statistics youve studied for how often people whove done nothing wrong get followed around by cops, or similar?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What study are you referring to controls for these factors and shows no effect.

No I don’t buy it. Yeah sure a black person might go somewhere and it’s possible they might be discriminated against and as a result they might not get a particular job but that’s not going to happen on a scale that will greatly influence their life. Your not going to come across business after business that won’t hire you because your black. It will not happen. There are a lot of successful black Americans, We’ve had a black president who served two terms. I think a lot of people assume they are being discriminated against when they might not be. I see it happening with George Floyd’s case. There’s no evidence to support racial discrimination in that case but that’s what everyone is claiming. It’s an assumption that has no evidence to support it and I see this happening quite often.
Minorities Who 'Whiten' Job Resumes Get More Interviews
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Are you taking into consideration that whites make up 61% of the population compared to blacks making up 12%? Then factor in that 42% of those whites attended college compared to 34% of blacks. So that’s 57,000,000 whites who attended college compared to 13,200,000 blacks who attended college. So yeah when you look at the statistics the math adds up.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When discussing issues of police brutality, there invariably a person that will call out "black-on-black" crime as an issue. Most crime is intraracial, so pointing this out is not needed. The fact that white-on-white crime is not term proves that point.

Black-on-black murder gets highlighted in part because a black person is more than six times as likely to be killed in intraracial violence than a white person is.

Murder is indeed a particular issue within the black community; just as suicide is a particular issue within the native American and white communities (and in some cases that manifests as "suicide by cop").

Slide20.PNG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Are you taking into consideration that whites make up 61% of the population compared to blacks making up 12%? Then factor in that 42% of those whites attended college compared to 34% of blacks. So that’s 57,000,000 whites who attended college compared to 13,200,000 blacks who attended college. So yeah when you look at the statistics the math adds up.
What study are you quoting? Please provide your sources.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When discussing issues of police brutality, there invariably a person that will call out "black-on-black" crime as an issue. Most crime is intraracial, so pointing this out is not needed. The fact that white-on-white crime is not term proves that point. But in the broader context, those that bring this up are trying to derail the discussion from police misconduct, it's akin to bringing up heart disease killing more Americans in a discussion about terrorism. Moreover, the people that bring this up don't actually care about the topic; many black activists and organizations are focused on broader issues of crime, the people that make these statements are unaware of this because they actually don't care about the topic, they simply want to distract from the topic of police misconduct.
Maybe it’s not what you think. Maybe it’s brought up for a different reason. Maybe it’s because BLM-types bring up police brutality against blacks but don’t say anything about black-on-black crime, and it comes across as hypocritical. What kills more blacks every year? Police? Or abortion and black on black crime.

It’s not racists to ask. Not if all lives matter.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a racist argument. Whites were the leading cause of white homicide, yet no one feels the need to point this out. Most crime is intraracial.

Thats why I asked the question.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Maybe it’s not what you think. Maybe it’s brought up for a different reason. Maybe it’s because BLM-types bring up police brutality against blacks but don’t say anything about black-on-black crime, and it comes across as hypocritical. What kills more blacks every year? Police? Or abortion and black on black crime.

It’s not racists to ask. Not if all lives matter.
Again, that's a distraction. Black Lives Matter is focused on the police brutality and the criminal justice system. This is like complaining that Susan G Komen is not focusing on heart disease because their focus is on breast cancer. It is not hypocritical, it is those seeking to distract from the main issue of policing and criminal justice in America. Bringing up abortion is another distraction, why not bring up heart disease or diabetes? This doesn't happen in other discussions, we only see this form of distraction when it comes to those calling out police misconduct.

The "what about black-on-black crime" group does not care about the topic they're bringing up, else they'd see there is already focus on the very topic they claim is being ignored. Black Lives Matter is not mutually exclusive from other causes, there are many organizations focused on crime in Black communities. Nonetheless, the main issue is that when a black person murders another black person, we can be assured that the alleged crime will be prosecuted and punished accordingly, this is not the case with police violence.

Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2. But then to step back and ask why black people are so much poorer that white people on average, and youd have to be deliberately blind not to see a whole history of intense racism on this continent

I would agree with this statement in the past and that history of discrimination has definitely played a role in the poverty of blacks because the blacks during that time were not able to put their children in a better financial situation. But that’s not the case today. I mean what can we do that we haven’t already done to level the playing field? We can’t change the past, all we can do now is make things better now and in the future. So what’s the solution? What do you propose?

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0