enroute
✟1,404,763.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. Wrong. The gist of the matter is that humans are infected with sin, and it manifests in many different ways, such as cruelty, sadism and the love of power. I'm white and I've suffered police brutality not once but twice, once at the hands of a white cop, and once at the hands of a group of white and latino cops.
But have you ever been treated like you have no right to be...anywhere?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Has anything like this ever happened to you.
Yes, and much worse. I've been physically assaulted for having white skin. Got a flat tire in a black area of town at night. While I was bent over changing the tire I was struck on the back of the head with a large bottle. There were about 10 black guys who'd snuck up behind me. I managed to run away, as they chased me yelling "you white so-and-so" and such stuff. Don't know what might have happened if they'd caught me. Killed me maybe? I don't know. (Yes, I outran 10 young black guys. Adrenalin is a heck of a drug! :D) I mention the details only to mention this one: since I was changing my tire, the trunk of the car was open. There were a few things of value in there in plain view, like an electric guitar and a skateboard. They did not steal anything. I guess it was purely racial hatred.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, and much worse. I've been physically assaulted for having white skin. Got a flat tire in a black area of town at night. While I was bent over changing the tire I was struck on the back of the head with a large bottle. There were about 10 black guys who'd snuck up behind me. I managed to run away, as they chased me yelling "you white so-and-so" and such stuff. Don't know what might have happened if they'd caught me. Killed me maybe? I don't know. (Yes, I outran 10 young black guys. Adrenalin is a heck of a drug! :D) I mention the details only to mention this one: since I was changing my tire, the trunk of the car was open. There were a few things of value in there in plain view, like an electric guitar and a skateboard. They did not steal anything. I guess it was purely racial hatred.

I don't mean to diminish your experience, but it was probably a bunch of youngsters drinking and acting dumb and they decided to scare the smell out of you. This could also explain why they didn't catch you...they probably didn't want to.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There seems to be a view that if a white person had a bad experience with police, that it negates the Black experience. However, as we see from the data on policing, the level of interactions and the level of unjustified interactions for Black people is disproportionately higher. The disproportionate policing is not caused by crime, behavior, or whatever other excuses are foisted by those dismissing police misconduct, it is a race problem in policing. It will not simply disappear because the color of the police officers change, the departments require substantive reform and restructuring.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't mean to diminish your experience, but it was probably a bunch of youngsters drinking and acting dumb and they decided to scare the smell out of you. This could also explain why they didn't catch you...they probably didn't want to.
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it was 10 white guys just trying to "scare" a black guy in a white neighborhood, right? No, if that happened it would be an indictment of Western Civilization itself.

No, it left a real big lump on my head. I think they expected they'd knock me unconscious, which is why they were hanging back several yards away, except for the one who hit me. So I had a headstart on the others, and I guess I actually just outran the one guy. Plus I didn't have to run too far because just a block away there was a restaurant with a well-lit parking lot and people outside, and that's where I ran.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it was 10 white guys just trying to "scare" a black guy in a white neighborhood, right?

Yeah, I probably would, but I would also consider historical precedents, so I might go a little harder on the white guys.

I'm sorry you had that experience, no one should be subject to meaningless violence.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"I outran 10 young black guys..." Outrunning black guys?
Yeah I remember you got bent out of shape when I said that some years ago.
That must mean it's an extraordinary feat. :doh:
I think the International Olympic Committee has a link to a list of medal winners over the decades. You could check that and find out if it's extraordinary. :)

Trigger Warning: Contents may include reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The disproportionate policing is not caused by crime,...
It is caused by crime. You are interested enough in this subject that I have to assume you've seen the statistics, and you know that.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,763.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oooh! :eek: That is terrible! I am glad you were able to get away! You out ran 10?? How old were you when this happened?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,763.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I probably would, but I would also consider historical precedents, so I might go a little harder on the white guys.

I'm sorry you had that experience, no one should be subject to meaningless violence.
At least he didn't get the cops called on him .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Tony Timpa anybody remember hearing about this guy?

Tony Timpa: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
Oh yeah there's a long list of dead white people names no one has ever heard. This happened a few months ago in my city. The cops said they shot him because he rammed their vehicle, but it turns out he rammed the vehicle because they'd already shot him. I've never seen a picture of what Mr. Goodale looked like, so how do I know he was white? Because the report refers to him as "a man" and not "a black man". Being white is not that important a detail I guess.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Tony Timpa anybody remember hearing about this guy?

Tony Timpa: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
Yes, I do remember Tony Timpa and Daniel Shaver. The family of Daniel Shaver recently thanked BLM organizers for giving them a platform to discuss police violence. Unfortunately, the racists out there attempt to foist any death of a white person at the hands of the police and argue it is being ignored by Black people. The reality, they are simply describing themselves because police brutality is the main focus, but they also correctly point out that police brutality disproportionately affects the Black community.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"Overpolicing". If anything, there is underpolicing.
There is overpolicing and underpolicing depending on the tactic and location. Stop-and-frisk is an example of overpolicing; the fact that crime did not increase after the unconstitutional and racist practice ended demonstrates that.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is overpolicing and underpolicing depending on the tactic and location. Stop-and-frisk is an example of overpolicing; the fact that crime did not increase after the unconstitutional and racist practice ended demonstrates that.
I agree that stop-and-frisk is unconstitutional and should never have been done.

Upvote 0