Sep 10, 2012
✟19,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I played someone was that you?

I love chess.

Even though AI and algorithms are pretty good at spotting abnormalities, playing online/correspondence is still basically a matter of trust and goodwill.

Open games could be played in a thread here and its pretty easy to generate a png or jpg or gif image from a FEN or game notation. :oldthumbsup:

bUNaSkNKN0pic0pabEI1UWZIV09IUVhRZ3YwU2VnUUljdUlCZEJaQnZCOUlhZFNLQlFJdW51NlpzSlpRSlk4MFk0UTRmTCFWTEswVEtHNFhkUlQwUlA_NUdLMFpqejFUS0NWRUNFWllQU1hKRTJZN1NUNVhUOQ,,.gif

Upvote 0

Lion IRC

Sep 10, 2012
✟19,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe we can play a friendly here in this thread - I'll post board images of the game so onlookers can spectate and follow the game as it progresses.
Maybe best for folks who can make moves within 24 hours otherwise slow pace can be a little boring to watch.

Learners welcome :)
Algebraic notation (E2 moves to E4) is easy to follow and we can chat/share descriptive notations alongside so folks can see how...

1 e4 c5 equates to;
1 P-K4 P-QB4(pawn to queen’s bishop 4)

2 Nf3 d6 equates to;
2 NKB3 P-Q3 (knight to king’s bishop 3 pawn to Queen 3)

3 d4 c5xd4 equates to;
3 P-Q4 PxP (pawn takes pawn)

4 Nxd4 Nf6 equates to;
4 NxP N-KB3 (knight takes pawn)
etc.

bUNZSWd2WlJsQklCdkIhVA,,.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I love chess.

Even though AI and algorithms are pretty good at spotting abnormalities, playing online/correspondence is still basically a matter of trust and goodwill.

Open games could be played in a thread here and its pretty easy to generate a png or jpg or gif image from a FEN or game notation. :oldthumbsup:

bUNaSkNKN0pic0pabEI1UWZIV09IUVhRZ3YwU2VnUUljdUlCZEJaQnZCOUlhZFNLQlFJdW51NlpzSlpRSlk4MFk0UTRmTCFWTEswVEtHNFhkUlQwUlA_NUdLMFpqejFUS0NWRUNFWllQU1hKRTJZN1NUNVhUOQ,,.gif

I am really computer illiterate not sure what you are saying, but if you know a way to play a game here i would play.

Reactions: Lion IRC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone ought to write a book like "Everything I need to know I learned from chess"...or maybe start I thread on CF to discuss it (I wouldn't; I haven't learned enough from it :) ).

For instance: Be even courteous to those who are your enemies, but contemplate your actions and responses well.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I love learning about chess - I've finished going through Nimzowitsch's My System and my current reading list consists of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, Chess Praxis and Zurich 1953. Anyone else love reading chess books? What are your favourites?

I like playing chess, but I like chess puzzles better, and in that regard I recommend The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. Instead of trying to find checkmate in so many moves, it focuses on using retrograde analysis to prove what happen earlier in the game, such as proving whether white can castle, whether there is a promoted piece on the board, or on which square white's queen was captured. It is not given that they played well, but it is given that they played by the rules, so when you eliminate the impossible, then whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like playing chess, but I like chess puzzles better, and in that regard I recommend The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. Instead of trying to find checkmate in so many moves, it focuses on using retrograde analysis to prove what happen earlier in the game, such as proving whether white can castle, whether there is a promoted piece on the board, or on which square white's queen was captured. It is not given that they played well, but it is given that they played by the rules, so when you eliminate the impossible, then whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Then maybe you'd like this puzzle. I could never figure it out. Black to mate in two.
9YoI8jS.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I played chess in High school but find the game boring as usually you come across an opponent who is good because he has memorized endless move combinations that others have done instead of being able to think of interesting moves themselves it is akin to studying history and repeating it and then thinking you are a genius because you can remember.
What I thoroughly enjoy is a game of speed chess with 4 players two on each team. Each "side" has 2 players that use opposite colors. When you take an opponents piece you give it to your teammate and on his turn he can eithe move a piece of his or place a captured piece on the board. There are limitations to where you can place pieces though and I haven't played for so long I can't remember them one is you can't place a pawn on the last row to get it "upgraded" to another piece. Speed chess is more fun this way a regular speed chess game with 2 players can get monotonous if too fast as people play their favorite canned openings and the first half a dozen moves are repeated over and over in games. I never got rated but likely it is way below 2000 I can't even remember the ratings but I once beat someone rated 2200 whatever that means but I probably caught him on a bad day as he normally beats me every game. but then at the time he was about 4-5 years older and played chess constantly while I more play it for fun than anything.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can see how to get a stalemate in two but I see no way to put the white king in check in 2 moves

I could never figure it out either, but there is a solution and another surprising thing is apparently there is only one solution; since the set-up is symmetrical. As a hint I believe the solution relates to what Soyeong (post 53) was saying. If you get it maybe don't say right away so others can get frustrated too!o_O

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I could never figure it out either, but there is a solution and another surprising thing is apparently there is only one solution; since the set-up is symmetrical. As a hint I believe the solution relates to what Soyeong (post 53) was saying. If you get it maybe don't say right away so others can get frustrated too!o_O
Is it white's move now or black's move?

Upvote 0