Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then I still don't see the "secret". I used to love mate in 2 or whatever chess books but I was never a "genius" figuring out every one of them in good time.
Me neither, I only know the solution because someone told me. :) Even then I argued for awhile, but they were right. I will wait awhile before I give the answer, in case someone else wants to try and figure it out.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Then maybe you'd like this puzzle. I could never figure it out. Black to mate in two.
9YoI8jS.jpg

That is a brilliant puzzle because it combines both mate in so many moves puzzles with retrograde analysis puzzles. For those trying to solve it, I think I can give a good hint without giving away the answer:
What was white's last move?

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi :)
LOL
I was offering a handshake to start off our game. :wave:
We can perhaps ask another thread poster to toss a virtual coin for us. Heads you play white, tails I play white :idea:

OK cool...

Reactions: Lion IRC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like playing chess, but I like chess puzzles better, and in that regard I recommend The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. Instead of trying to find checkmate in so many moves, it focuses on using retrograde analysis to prove what happen earlier in the game, such as proving whether white can castle, whether there is a promoted piece on the board, or on which square white's queen was captured. It is not given that they played well, but it is given that they played by the rules, so when you eliminate the impossible, then whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Wow. Chess forensics.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a brilliant puzzle because it combines both mate in so many moves puzzles with retrograde analysis puzzles. For those trying to solve it, I think I can give a good hint without giving away the answer:
What was white's last move?

Yes, it's a great puzzle. Something that I was never clear on was why there isn't two solutions, depending on what one assumes from your hint. (I've always seen two answers to your hint, is there really only one?) Don't tell me now, but just curious if it clear to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0