• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Any other chess lovers?

Discussion in 'General Hobbies and Interests' started by coffee, Jan 19, 2020.

1. coffee

coffee New Member

+34
    United Kingdom
    Protestant
    Private
    I love learning about chess - I've finished going through Nimzowitsch's My System and my current reading list consists of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, Chess Praxis and Zurich 1953. Anyone else love reading chess books? What are your favourites?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Sinner Supporter

+4,454
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would be considered a beginner (at best) in my abilities, but I have some very fond memories (and one treasured photo) of playing chess with my grandfather when I was a child. Maybe it’s time to pick it up again.

3. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,279
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Yes... I got back into it after I had a rough spin with close friends dying... It got my brain going again.

4. ChristianGirl_96

ChristianGirl_96 Well-Known Member Angels Team Supporter

+1,328
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I have a old chess set somewhere. How do you teach beginners?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. coffee

coffee New Member

+34
    United Kingdom
    Protestant
    Private
    I've heard that the book "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch is great for learning to play chess as a beginner. I haven't read the book myself but I've looked at a preview of it on Google Books and it seems to be an excellent introduction. It first teaches you the rules, and then teaches you to understand the move notation, and then goes on to teach you some essential positions you need to know as well as basic strategy and tactics. Available here on Amazon

6. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,690
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    I enjoy chess a lot but plateaued around 2200 and haven't really played much in the past 4 years. There's no where local with good mentors outside of travelling to London, maybe Cambridge, but I've since switched to Go where I'm now 4 Dan.

7. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,921
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    I like playing chess, but do not read about chess.

They should have a game section here where a game of chess could be played.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I grew up playing chess with my aunt. She permitted three games during my weekend visit. Checkers and Scrabble were the others. As you can see, it wasn’t a fair fight. She had a 30 year lead. :p

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it and played frequently with my partners and a friend I met online. I’ve wanted to pick it up again. :)

~Bella

9. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,173
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    If you are using Microsoft Windows you may have a game called 'Chess Titans' installed on your computer and you can play against the computer. It is very good at helping the beginner learn how to play. One of the most helpful is the option to highlight where you can move a piece and turn off the option when you're ready. The 'Help' section has all the rules, legal moves, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Tone

Tone "Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great." Supporter

+6,278
    United States
    Messianic
    Private

I have read some chess books and magazines, but I can't recall the names...I think one was the art of chess...or something like that. I have played my fair share of it, and consider myself an advanced beginner. I downloaded a chess game not too long ago and easily made it to the master level, but haven't won since. I haven't had the required focus and time to make the next breakthrough...but, someday I would like to advance to the next level.

11. Credos4Christ

Credos4Christ 7 days without prayer makes 1 weak.

+63
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Chess is a great game! :)

It works our logic muscles and teaches us foresight—it also includes plenty of intensity!

Unfortunately my skill-cap has kind of tapered off after being on hiatus from it for so long, but I'm still fascinated by it and rebounding would probably be a cinch.

12. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,279
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    I had 3 family friends die in 6 weeks so my business collapsed and if took 2 years to recover.

To regain my mental focus I played chess on line for a year or so - worked wonders.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  13. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+8,476
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I tried chess but my paws were too big to move the pieces around! :(

14. Credos4Christ

+63
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Sounds ruff. ;)

15. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,921
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Came across this young fellow magnus carlsen the other day.
    Looks like a prodigy

16. Credos4Christ

+63
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    He definitely is a prodigy.

He partook in his first tournament at 8 years old. At age 22, in 2013, he became the second youngest world chess champion.

There's a brilliant documentary about him called 'Magnus' that's available on Netflix. Totally recommend it!

17. Lost4words

+8,476
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Plus, i get dog tired playing!

18. Credos4Christ

+63
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    I guess you were barking up the wrong tree!

19. Lost4words

+8,476
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Yes, i thought i would have be pawfect at chess too!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Credos4Christ

+63
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Well you do have great pet-tential!