Anti-Cancel Culture Crusader Charlie Kirk Tries to Cancel Christian Rapper Lecrae

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lecrae performed at a get-out-the-vote event sponsored by Democratic Senate then-candidates Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff.

Charlie Kirk, founder of Talking Points USA, and frequent critic of "cancel culture", then tells Pastor Jack Hibbs in front of a crowd at Calvary Chapel that Lacrae shouldn't be allowed to perform at churches again.

Charlie Kirk says rapper Lecrae shouldn't be allowed to perform in churches after Warnock support

Charlie Kirk, founder of the conservative student group Turning Point USA, said prominent Christian entertainer Lecrae "should never be allowed" to perform in Christian churches after he campaigned for Raphael Warnock, a pro-choice Democrat.
Kirk, author of The MAGA Doctrine, made the comments at Pastor Jack Hibbs’ Calvary Chapel Chino church the week of the inauguration of President Joe Biden.
Lecrae was a featured performer at a December 2020 event in Atlanta called "Get Out the Early Vote Rally & Concert," which was hosted by Democrats Warnock and Jon Ossoff before Georgia's runoff elections. While there, the artist stressed the importance of one’s freedom to vote.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's an exact apples to apples comparison with regards to the "scope" of cancel culture, but it definitely is hypocritical for someone (who's gone on and on about "I should be able to say what I want no matter who it offends")

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As it turns out, the same "conservatives" who decry """"cancel culture"""" don't mind "canceling" things they don't agree with: the Dixie Chicks, France/french fries, just to name a few.
Ringo

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
As it turns out, the same "conservatives" who decry """"cancel culture"""" don't mind "canceling" things they don't agree with: the Dixie Chicks, France/french fries, just to name a few.
Ringo
The only reason why they've latched onto this cancel culture mailaise is because the Republican Party is devoid of ideas. They attached themselves to Donald Trump, a man who only deals in white grievance and narcissism. He had no policy besides the fomenting racism and false culture wars. Then, predictably, he lost.

Since the party has purged their intellectuals and they have no policy to speak of, they go with what they embraced for 4 years, white grievance and culture wars. Expect more complaints about liberals destroying society as they amplify stories like these because there isn't much else they can speak of.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ringo
Boycotting Disney World because *gasp* they let in the gays.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if it's an exact apples to apples comparison with regards to the "scope" of cancel culture, but it definitely is hypocritical for someone (who's gone on and on about "I should be able to say what I want no matter who it offends")

Yeah, I'm not aware of a sustained effort on the part of Kirk to go after Lecrae, but Kirk, who already has a large platform, was speaking to a famous preacher in front of a megachurch, so he's wielding a not insignificant stick.

Lecrae doesn't seem to play churches much these days:
Lecrae Tour Dates and Concert Tickets
Lecrae's Concert & Tour History | Concert Archives

but he does tour with a bunch of other Christian artists and Kirk is directly undermining the guy's fanbase.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been cancelled a number times before right here at CF.

Does CF owe me a platform for every darn thing I might care to say?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................ no.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'm not aware of a sustained effort on the part of Kirk to go after Lecrae, but Kirk, who already has a large platform, was speaking to a famous preacher in front of a megachurch, so he's wielding a not insignificant stick.

Lecrae doesn't seem to play churches much these days:
Lecrae Tour Dates and Concert Tickets
Lecrae's Concert & Tour History | Concert Archives

but he does tour with a bunch of other Christian artists and Kirk is directly undermining the guy's fanbase.

The way I sort of see it, the overlap in fans between Lecrae and Charlie Kirk was probably already pretty slim to begin with in terms of the numbers, so there's a solid chance that the type of people who love Kirk's content and follow him probably weren't Lecrae fans to begin with (given his stances on issues)

And on the flip side, someone who's a fan of Lecrae probably isn't getting their marching orders from someone like Charlie Kirk.

Seems more like Kirk was playing to an audience that already wanted to hear him bash democrats (as he's been known to do) by speaking with a pastor who's also had a history of bashing liberal principles.

...I mean, that IS the reason why people hire Charlie Kirk for speaking events in the first place. It's not for "astute political wisdom", it's so that people can go see someone who can confidently deliver rehearsed talking points for issues that they already know they agree with him on, and recite those lines, themselves, in discussions with other people.

I've used this analogy a few times in the past, but people go to see guys like Charlie Kirk, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Dinesh D'Souza speak for the same reason vegans go to listen to lecturers at "Veg-Fest" events...it's not because they're honestly expecting to learn something new, or have their views challenged in any way, it's so they can learn new "comebacks" to use as rebuttals when ideological opponents challenge them in their own personal lives.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If I posted all truly great things prominent Christians tried to cancel over the years, a. youd all (mostly) love half of them and b. I'd be banned (canceled) permanently for posting the other half.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....and Dinesh D'Souza.....
Its fun for me when people mention D'Souza because I got in a big argument with him after one of his presentations. This was years ago back when he was taken somewhat seriously. Ah memories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,377.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It's patently ridiculous for kirk to complain about the cancel culture and then call for cancellation of Lecrae. Hypocrisy in my mind. Let the churches decide if they want him or not. Especially because it involves politics.

This is what we've been complaining about. Cancel culture is serious. And it's not cool to complain about then call for it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The way I sort of see it, the overlap in fans between Lecrae and Charlie Kirk was probably already pretty slim to begin with in terms of the numbers, so there's a solid chance that the type of people who love Kirk's content and follow him probably weren't Lecrae fans to begin with (given his stances on issues)

And on the flip side, someone who's a fan of Lecrae probably isn't getting their marching orders from someone like Charlie Kirk.

Not sure if that's entirely true. My understanding of Lecrae is that, at least for a time, his audience was largely white.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've been cancelled a number times before right here at CF.

Does CF owe me a platform for every darn thing I might care to say?

No.

But I don't think you should lose your job over any opinions expressed.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No.

But I don't think you should lose your job over any opinions expressed.
Employers in Right to Fire states can fire you without any reason as long as they do not do so because you are a member of a "protected class".

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Employers in Right to Fire states can fire you without any reason as long as they do not do so because you are a member of a "protected class".

Sure.

I also believe that without the ability to openly express and discuss our opinions we will lose our ability to solve problems. Robust discussion and debate is pretty important to western civilization. We can have these discussions behind closed doors or openly....but popular ideas aren't typically good ideas. They just appeal to the mediocre majority.

Upvote 0