Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WASHINGTON - The Federal Air Marshal Service is squelching the First Amendment rights of its rank-and-file employees by not allowing them to speak out about alleged security lapses in the commercial airline industry, the American Civil Liberties Union charged in a lawsuit Thursday

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7591272

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think this shouold be more then a first amendment case.
I think we need to hear from the people that are in the trenches.
They know where security holes are.

We need to know all potential problems.
Someone needs remedial training or to be fired.

Who better to point out problems then those that experience the security regularly?
Come on people, wake up!

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Billnew said:

Who better to point out problems then those that experience the security regularly?
Come on people, wake up!

I agree someone needs to hear from people about holes in security, but I don't agree those people need to be the press who will squawk about it, ad nauseam, worldwide. Terrorists watch CNN, too. Why display our weaknesses to the enemy just so some schmoo can get his picture on the evening news. The ACLU would probably defend a spy using 'free speech' arguments. Its a wonder they have the time what with all the work they do representing NAMBLA.

Report the problems to people that can resolve them.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

awesome liver

Mar 1, 2005
✟16,471.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
tollytee said:
I agree someone needs to hear from people about holes in security, but I don't agree those people need to be the press who will squawk about it, ad nauseam, worldwide. Terrorists watch CNN, too. Why display our weaknesses to the enemy just so some schmoo can get his picture on the evening news. The ACLU would probably defend a spy using 'free speech' arguments. Its a wonder they have the time what with all the work they do representing NAMBLA.

Respectfully

the problem with that is that "whistle blower" laws have been eased in recent years after clinton. people are punished instead of rewarded for pointing out inadequacies. so what's the next solution? take the case to the people instead of waiting for a person or persons to exploit known weaknesses which are not known by the general public.

the aclu would defend a suspected terrorist if his civil liberties were violated. it would not be his freedom of speech to be defended. it would be whether he is allowed to have due process.

nambla as an organization has every right to express their opinions as long as they aren't inciting behavior that is against the law no matter how you may feel about their content. if the worst content that pushes morality is allowed to be aired, then the rest of us are given that same opportunity to voice our opinions and thoughts. in a society not based on majority rule but on the right of individuals, this is one of the most important aspects of our culture.

this case is a first amendment issue because the case needs standing and the first amendment is the most obvious and most important issue here. if the workers are not allowed to speak their concerns if their superiors are playing deaf mute and dumb, then they need other sources where they can bring their concerns to be dealt with in an expediant manner.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
tollytee said:

Respectfully

They shouldn't need to go to the press but if no one else listens then they should.
But they should have a way for people's concerns to be addressed

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Billnew said:
They shouldn't need to go to the press but if no one else listens then they should.
But they should have a way for people's concerns to be addressed

I am with you on this. The problems do need to be addressed but not in the press. If it is revealed that the concerns were reported and ignored, then that will be different but nothing I have read on this issue so far indicates to me that that is the case.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billnew said:
I think this shouold be more then a first amendment case.

We need to know all potential problems.
Someone needs remedial training or to be fired.

Come on people, wake up!

Agreed with some of the above.... Why broadcast to everyone what our security problems are? Why not just fix it with the approiate people at the approiate level?

Upvote 0