• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

SDA denomination predicts weakening of first amendment in the future

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by BobRyan, Mar 17, 2021.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member Supporter

+6,331
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    [Staff Edit]

Understood - that is the "pressure" (or at least some part of the pressure) that one might expect to favor the government stepping in and carving out a no-work-day. But event that "should not" go so far as to also demand that people work on the Bible Sabbath and not just limit itself to no-work-on-Sunday.

However if you look at some countries in the EU that are facing stringent economic measures - they actually demand a 6 day work week - so given Sunday as a day off - they are pretty close to saying people must work on the Bible Sabbath or they are not good patriotic citizens.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
  2. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,733
    Christian
    Private
    I think the bible predicted it first.

3. BobRyan

+6,331
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    no doubt

4. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,733
    Christian
    Private
    So what's the big deal then? It's only been applied to an American context. Taking credit for something like this would seem to have the wrong focus and it would be better to point to the biblical prediction and simply say the SDA agrees with it rather than make it appear it is something never heard before. Christian religious freedoms will fall through out the world and the US is among those but for some reason there is an old lie that America is the new Israel and untouchable to corruption. Claims like this prey on those lies. The US will fall as the rest and if I would apply any biblical passage to them it would be the church of Laodecia.

5. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,671
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I am curious if our resident SDA posters would be as opposed to making Saturday a national holiday as making Sunday a national holiday. Or if, just perhaps, this appeal to the First Amendment to the US Constitution is largely just a facade for furtherance of SDA religious propaganda.

-CryptoLutheran

6. SabbathBlessings

SabbathBlessings Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,781
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    We are not opposed to anything that will allow us to keep God's commandments. The national day of rest should be on God's Holy Sabbath, but that's not what's going to happen.

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,602
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, but would you be as opposed to making Saturday a national holiday as making Sunday a national holiday?

8. SabbathBlessings

+1,781
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    It's God's Sabbath. We can talk hypothetical all we want, but the national day of rest is not planned to be on God's Holy day.

9. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,602
    Anglican
    Married
    So...no answer is going to be forthcoming?

10. ViaCrucis

+21,671
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    That's what I thought. This has nothing to do with the First Amendment. Thank you for the honesty.

-CryptoLutheran

11. SabbathBlessings

+1,781
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    You misunderstood. I do not think government should allow or force anyone to worship or not worship regardless of the day. God gave us all free will and the government is not above God. If there was a national day of rest, Saturday should be the logical choice since that is God's Sabbath, His chosen day of rest not Sunday. Hope this clarifies for you. It's still a moot point because we all know the National day of rest will not be on Gods Sabbath.

12. ViaCrucis

+21,671
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I don't think you know how the First Amendment works.

Also, this response only further demonstrates that this whole thread is disingenuous.

If you cared about the First Amendment and the US government not establishing religion, then it shouldn't matter whether the day is Sunday or Saturday.

The fact that you only care if it is Sunday, but if it is Saturday it's totally okay, only reveals the blatant hypocrisy going on here.

-CryptoLutheran

13. SabbathBlessings

+1,781
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Did you not read what I said? Also I do not represent "the whole thread" . I said very clearly I do not think the government should be dictating any laws on religion Sunday or Saturday, that goes against our free will that God gave each of of us. You are free to believe as you wish though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  14. ewq1938

ewq1938 Age isn't a number. It's a three lettered word. Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+5,872
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    There will never be a national day of rest. People are used to having two days off, and many people like to have different days off so there will never be a consensus to make one certain day a day of rest let alone a religious day of rest. When the AC comes, I'm sure he will want to be worshiped every day not on one day.

15. ViaCrucis

+21,671
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Then as a proponent of the separation between Church and State, as enshrined in the non-establishment clause of the First Amendment, I would expect you to be as opposed to Saturday becoming a national holiday as you would Sunday becoming a national holiday.

Can you tell me that you would oppose making the Sabbath a national holiday in the same way that you would oppose making Sunday a national holiday?

-CryptoLutheran

16. tall73

tall73 Sophia7's husband Supporter

+4,505
    Christian
    Married
    I am a former Adventist minister. While that particular poster was not the clearest initially on the subject, Adventists do not propose the government endorse Sabbath either.

They do a lot of work for religious liberty, even when they don't always agree with the person, because they often run into issues with it themselves in workplace Sabbath issues.

I disagree with Adventists theologically on some issues, but they are not for state sponsored or endorsed, or established religion.

17. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+10,753
    Non-Denom
    Perish the thought that someone or some religious group would decided to dedicate a day like Friday for worship. Hint, hint, Friday is the Sabbath for Muslims.

18. BobRyan

+6,331
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I have never claimed that "America is the new Israel" or is "untouchable to corruption" not sure where you are getting that.

19. BobRyan

+6,331
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Indeed we all would expect that "I hope"

20. BobRyan

+6,331
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Presumably almost all denominations , monotheistic groups are doing that - but not using the state to hold a gun to everyone else's head to force them to comply with the worship practice of any one group on any specific day.