Word Of Faith Movement - Your Opinion

Your Opinion Of The "Word Of Faith" Movement?

• Biblical Sound

• Satanic Heresy - Gnosticism Re-labelled And Sold As Christianity

• I Don't Know

Results are only viewable after voting.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With regards to the Jesus going to Hell part I am convinced it is because of the creed and the KJV archaic language. A lot of WoF preachers consistently use the KJV and I know people who are not WoF but they believe Jesus went to Hell solely off of the KJV when Hell shoukdnsometimes be translated as Hades (where the rich man went).

I personally believe Jesus went to "Abrahams bosom" when he died but thats just me. Regards I dont think all WoF preachers should be deemed heretics for making a doctrinal error due to translation reasoning. Of course some probabably got the idea off of another oreacher but I dont think its "satanic heresy" more of just a misunderstanding of Scripture and the original languages.

Sheol = Hades = the grave
Hades =/= Gehenna
Gehenna = the lake of fire

The KJV translates Hell for the words Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sheol = Hades = the grave
Hades =/= Gehenna
Gehenna = the lake of fire

The KJV translates Hell for the words Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna.

I heard Gehenna might have had a double meaning when Jesus said it. Gehenna was a literal place and a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard Gehenna might have had a double meaning when Jesus said it. Gehenna was a literal place and a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem.

Me too.
lol,... Sometimes I think we're discussing shades of black.
They all sound uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Or maybe he just went into the earth....you know the grave....isnt that what he said.

*[[Mat 12:40]] KJV* For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Earth:
h1. G1093

Original: *γῆ*

Transliteration: *gē*

Phonetic: *ghay*

*Thayer Definition*:

# arable land
# the ground, the earth as a standing place
# the main land as opposed to the sea or water
# the earth as a whole
## the earth as opposed to the heavens
## the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals
# a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

Origin: contracted from a root word

TDNT entry: 12:17,1

Part(s) of speech: Noun Feminine

*Strong's Definition*: Contracted from a primary word; _soil_ ; by extension a _region_, or the solid part or the whole of the _terrene_ globe (including the occupants in each application): - country, earth (-ly), ground, land, world.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have read that the literal garbage dump Gehenna Jesus spoke of was previous a spot of child sacrifice to Moloch. Which using the name of a real place to emphasize his point with double meaning would have more impact to the Jews he was talking to. Gehenna was a dump and bad place. I wouldn't be surprised if ancient jews viewed it as cursed. Some place you don't want to be temporarily.. let alone forever.

Upvote 0

AboundingGrace

Oct 2, 2014
✟264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read that the literal garbage dump Gehenna Jesus spoke of was previous a spot of child sacrifice to Moloch. Which using the name of a real place to emphasize his point with double meaning would have more impact to the Jews he was talking to. Gehenna was a dump and bad place. I wouldn't be surprised if ancient jews viewed it as cursed. Some place you don't want to be temporarily.. let alone forever.

It WAS a dump. Josiah defiled the place of the sacrifices of which you speak and the Jews would not go in any more. Dead animals and dead criminals were cast in and burned. The FIRE was not quenched and the WORMS did not die. They were carcases and the worms fed on what the fire did not destroy.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have read that the literal garbage dump Gehenna Jesus spoke of was previous a spot of child sacrifice to Moloch. Which using the name of a real place to emphasize his point with double meaning would have more impact to the Jews he was talking to. Gehenna was a dump and bad place. I wouldn't be surprised if ancient Jews viewed it as cursed. Some place you don't want to be temporarily.. let alone forever.

If I am not mistaken the "word of faith movement" teachers teach that upon death a Christian goes to heaven to be with God. ...

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If I am not mistaken the "word of faith movement" teachers teach that upon death a Christian goes to heaven to be with God. ...

Unless you are the Christ then you somhow become sin and burn in hell for three days...

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I also dont understand how it compares to Gnosticism...like at all..

Depends, probably on what sort of Gnosticism we're talking about.

What is unavoidably true is that Kenneth Hagin and the premier founders of WoF were, implicitly, influenced by the teachings and philosophies of certain "spiritist" groups such as New Thought.

And thus amounts to nothing more than "magickal thinking" masquerading as Christian teaching.

-CryptoLuthearn

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends, probably on what sort of Gnosticism we're talking about.

What is unavoidably true is that Kenneth Hagin and the premier founders of WoF were, implicitly, influenced by the teachings and philosophies of certain "spiritist" groups such as New Thought.

And thus amounts to nothing more than "magickal thinking" masquerading as Christian teaching.

-CryptoLuthearn

It is amazing how some speak like they know something.

Yet what they say shows they have are ignorant of the subject.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
:doh:

That's called a matter of opinion, right there.

Helps when you don't contradict yourself

It maybe an opinion to you if you can't see the truth of a matter.

Having an opinion is being uncertain of truth.

Example 1: It is not my opinion that God is real.... I know God is real.

Example 2: It is my opinion there is no life on other planets..... I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Haven't seen any comments much from my invitation to you to consider the Shunamite woman in 2 Ki 4.

If your child died how would you react compared to how she responded?

Did she lie when she answered "it is well" when asked how things were?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As I said.

not having a clue to what faith is.

Faith -- trust.

I have faith in the promises of God which are mine in Christ, by the Gospel. That Jesus who suffered death on the cross has made satisfaction on my account, that He being the righteousness of God has become the righteousness of those who, by the grace of God, have no righteousness of their own. Who being the Just One has suffered death, bearing the weight of the world's sin, has become Victor quia Victima by His resurrection. Having conquered sin and death in His body, trampled down death by death, and by the grace of God taken hold of downtrodden sinners and lifted them up together in Himself, and under His righteousness presented them just and justified before God the Father. That our sins are forgiven, and hope restored, that He who having died, has risen, has ascended, and is coming again--and on that Day we will stand with Him, before our God and Judge, just and in our own bodies sharing in and with Him the life that He has now and forever. And thus shall we ever live, with God, world without end.

So, yes, I'm quite aware of what faith is, "[T]he assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1). For we hope in that unseen reality, the resurrection of the dead, the very redemption of our bodies (Romans 8:23), that coming Day that even creation itself groans for (Romans 8:22), that Day of Christ's return, and that with our sight we shall see what is now unseen (Job 19:26, 1 Corinthians 13:12) and which we trust in, ours only by faith. The glory that makes all present sufferings pale by comparison (Romans 8:18).

But if there is one thing faith is not, faith is not magick.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Faith -- trust.

I have faith in the promises of God which are mine in Christ, by the Gospel. That Jesus who suffered death on the cross has made satisfaction on my account, that He being the righteousness of God has become the righteousness of those who, by the grace of God, have no righteousness of their own. Who being the Just One has suffered death, bearing the weight of the world's sin, has become Victor quia Victima by His resurrection. Having conquered sin and death in His body, trampled down death by death, and by the grace of God taken hold of downtrodden sinners and lifted them up together in Himself, and under His righteousness presented them just and justified before God the Father. That our sins are forgiven, and hope restored, that He who having died, has risen, has ascended, and is coming again--and on that Day we will stand with Him, before our God and Judge, just and in our own bodies sharing in and with Him the life that He has now and forever. And thus shall we ever live, with God, world without end.

So, yes, I'm quite aware of what faith is, "[T]he assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1). For we hope in that unseen reality, the resurrection of the dead, the very redemption of our bodies (Romans 8:23), that coming Day that even creation itself groans for (Romans 8:22), that Day of Christ's return, and that with our sight we shall see what is now unseen (Job 19:26, 1 Corinthians 13:12) and which we trust in, ours only by faith. The glory that makes all present sufferings pale by comparison (Romans 8:18).

But if there is one thing faith is not, faith is not magick.

-CryptoLutheran

Nicely put, my friend.

Upvote 0