Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As of today:

Hundreds of self-service railroad ticket machines in northern England are offline after a ransomware attack.

The security firm Sophos was recently called in by a company that spotted suspicious software on its computers. Sophos disabled a ransomware attack that had infected over 100 computers before the attack was launched. When the cybercriminals realized that they were being deleted, they launched an attack that destroyed some files on a small number of unprotected computers.

Folks, I'm with Microsoft on requiring TPMs on Windows 11 computers.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As of today, the Lemon Duck malware is able to encrypt both Windows and Linux computers. It is actually an older technology that slips in while your computer is cleaning out some other malware. Once inside, it patches the computer's vulnerabilities, including the ones it used to enter.

Since all vulnerabilities are repaired, most anti-malware detectors leave it alone.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MS released an hour-long video defending Windows 11 today--of the first 66 comments, 3 were positive and 63 were negative.

Reading the commentaries on tech sites (I haven't seen the video) it seems that:

MS acknowledged the problems caused by the inability of most computers to upgrade to 11, while praising the superiority of 11 to 10--which only got people more upset.

MS denies that 11 is rigged to force users to buy new computers with 11 installed. But the Preview versions show that 11 runs well on a lot of older computers if the TPM program is not activated; MS does not intend to allow that option.

To be fair, ransomware is a problem that is getting worse, and MS needs to use TPM to protect Windows users.

And Folks, if you buy a good computer and take good care of it, it will survive long enough to become obsolete. Back when MS introduced a new operating system every two years, users understood that.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Computerworld published an article two days ago, warning that some computer manufacturers are using stickers announcing that the machines they are selling can be upgraded to Windows 11. However, they are avoiding lawsuits by not claiming that these PCs can actually run 11.

"HP, for example, tells customers "Our current Windows-based PCs will be upgradeable to Windows 11 when it's available later this year," albeit with a caveat that some features require specific hardware. Likewise, Dell states, "All Dell PCs with Windows 10 currently being sold on dell.com will be able to upgrade to Windows 11" on its website."

Smart move! The complete Windows 11, with its heavy power requirements and untested TPM system, has not yet been released to the public, and we cannot be sure how well it will run.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Microsoft has been sending updates to people running their Windows 11 Preview Edition. Almost everyone reports that it runs well; HOWEVER, it does not operate the power-hungry TPM security system.

I wonder? Is MS having trouble getting TPM to run well?

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
THIS JUST IN!

A few hours ago, Microsoft took everyone by surprise when they released a new Windows 11 Beta version. Conflicting reports say that it is only for developers, while others say that it is available for anyone whose PC can accept it.

I can find nothing on whether or not it will run the controversial TPM chip.

And now--This just in!--The Windows 11 beta version is available right now if you are part of the Windows Insider program. It is not available to anyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING!

Folks, the Windows 11 Preview version that I installed yesterday is the single biggest computer disappointment I have had in 28 years. It re-arranges things. Period.

Putting "Settings" in the task bar saves me one step.

A change of scenery is always nice, but it sometimes takes me up to five seconds to find something they moved.

If you're upset because your computer can't accept Windows 11, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: Dreams65
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Vince53 ,
I tried the Windows11 preview. I hated it. It used too much CPU on my PC and also I did not like the whole "all the same icons combined together" feature. God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
@Vince53 ,
I tried the Windows11 preview. I hated it. It used too much CPU on my PC and also I did not like the whole "all the same icons combined together" feature. God bless!

Only problem is you're comparing a beta with an official stable release. When windows 11 js officially out and tested and updated for the months to come. It probably will be much more stable than w10. Just like w10 is miles ahead of w8 and 7.

As to the unwanted features and apps and crap people are talking about, like I said earlier in the thread like w10 they can all be turned off. What I would love though is for Microsoft to give us the ability to Uninstall them. Nobody likes Cortina or any of the other Microsoft only features in w10 or 11. So being able to choose to Uninstaller them would be great.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you wish to install Windows 11, the Preview is available for free if you join the Windows Insider Program. If, and only if, TPM is turned on; and if, and only if, your rig meets the requirements, it will install the Windows 11 Preview.

Meanwhile... Microsoft e-mailed a memo to computer manufacturers, asking them to submit drivers they needed to add to Windows 11. But the original memo said that 11 would be released on October 29, 2021. Why did they delete that? And why do none of the Windows 11 Previews use TPM?

Is it possible that MS is having major problems getting TPM to work well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Starting with Windows 1, Control Panel was a friendly icon on your desktop. It gave geeks, geek wannabes, and curious people a chance to look inside their computer. And if you had a problem, Control Panel might contain the solution.

But over the decades, Microsoft got frustrated as idiots used Control Panel to mess up their rigs, run up expenses by calling MS technical assistance without telling them what the user had actually done, and costing them sales by bad-mouthing Windows. So they want to get rid of it.

New versions of Windows don't have Control Panel on the desktop. For a while, you could find it along the tops of certain programs, but they got rid of that. And finally, every icon in Control Panel is now a shortcut.

In your search bar, type Control Panel, and make a shortcut on your desktop. But even then, MS gives you different configurations that try to sort and explain things so you can't see everything. Choose the classic configuration. Then, if you have a problem, Control Panel might have the solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Vince53

You can still activate GodMode in Windows 11.

With an Administrator account, create a new folder on the desktop and replace the default name with this string: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Open the folder and you will be able to access every utility in Windows.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the previous post, Dreams65 is correct about installing God Mode. I have it inside my Help folder in case of an emergency.

Meanwhile, "Settings" began life at the top of Control Panel in Windows 1. It disappeared in Windows 95, and was partially replaced by "System," which had its own icon in Control Panel.

Over the decades, Settings and System have blended. When you press the Settings button in Windows 11, it takes you to System.

System now does what Control Panel used to do, but it forces you to read an explanation before you change something.

Attachments

• Control Panel.png
    Control Panel.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Asus and Asrock have released Bios updates on their websites for THEIR OWN motherboards only. These updates will turn on TPM automatically.

Problems have arisen in which some modern motherboards don't have a TPM chip, but have TPM built in. These two companies claim that their BIOS updates will make those motherboards compatible with Windows 11.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Windows 11 has a recovery mode to use when all else fails. It is designed to use when you can't even get into Windows.

Use the On/Off switch on your computer. Hold it down for ten seconds. Then hold it down for ten seconds to turn off your rig. Do this two more times. After the third time, turn it on, and Windows 11 will take you into Recovery Mode, which will give you some options.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Critics are angry about MS pushing Edge as the default browser on Windows 11. I have preferred Edge for years, however. I have two other browsers on my Windows 11 Preview Edition, and both of them work fine.

11 gives you a choice of switching browsers automatically for different types of files. This is so confusing that many users simply make Edge their default browser.

My opinion? All of the major browsers work fine.

Reactions: Dreams65
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Microsoft has just released a Windows 11 installation that requires a clean install--you must remove all your programs. The current Preview versions simply upgrade Windows 10 without destroying your other files.

My advice? Don't do it. The new version does not include the controversial TPM security program. I suspect that MS is having major problems with TPM, and 11 is untrustworthy unless those problems are solved.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Microsoft re-released its free Windows 11 Compatibility Check today. Some folks will be glad to know that 11 will now accept SOME 7th generation computer chips.

This is good news because it indicates that MS is getting control over the difficult and controversial TPM program that makes most computers ineligible for 11.

Upvote 0