Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Phishing" involves attacking the weakest part of your security system: you. Phishing attacks often send official-looking forms and statements requiring you to sign in when you didn't have to sign in before. And one tech site warns that as new users get Windows 11, they might be tricked into giving away their passwords, because you really do have to sign into many familiar sites when you get a new operating system.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with things like TPM is that what’s hiding underneath that security is a program. Like all programs it will have bugs. But the user will have no way to know that it is compromised or fix it. It certainly deals with some security issues, but there’s a good chance that the cure will be worse than the disease.

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anything in Windows 11 that would tempt me to update my system. I'll probably hold on to Windows 10 until 2025.

For me the current start menu, Windows Explorer, and Windows media player are trash. I've had to install third party software to replace all three. I use Start10 from Stardock to give me the same control over the start menu I had in Windows 7. I use Directory Opus instead of Windows Explorer and use JetAudio as a replacement for Windows media player.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hedrick correctly points out that we cannot be sure how well the TPM program will work, and Microsoft has not yet released a Preview version that runs TPM. MS hopes to release Windows 11 in time for Christmas shopping, and let you download it for six months beginning in January 2022. My advice is to wait at least two months to download it, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Windows 10 will continue to work fine until September 2025.

And as Dream 64 correctly points out, Windows 11 is essentially an upgrade to Windows 10 that will only work on new, powerful computers. Most of 11's improvements are only cosmetic and can be downloaded for free.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟414,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I had to succumb to using Windows 10 for my college work. So naturally with me being a Windows Insider, the pc upgraded to Windows 11 Insider Preview. And actually...call me shocked, but it is NOT bad at all. I daresay it maybe better than Linux...call me shocked.:sorry: But I won't say that officially just yet. Either way it is fast, light, and durable. I like Windows 11...

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesse, your statement that the Windows 11 Preview runs well agrees with most of the other testers. And I intend to install 11 when it comes out.

But do be aware that when the TPM program (not just the chip) is turned on, you will be using a lot more power than you are now.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only thing Microsoft does well is force software that is bloated with buggy, unwanted "features" down the throats of its unwitting user base; "features" they never requested but are forever destined to deal with - kind of like how the world must now deal with the likes of Microsoft's multi-billionaire owner - an unwanted, unrequested, "feature" which properties can't be edited to ignore of turn off.

Yes, like OneDrive that removed some important files off my PC never to be seen again.
And I am not even on Windows 10! I found a copy of 7 for my now two year old PC. At some point I will have to jump to a new Windows version so I can hope Windows 11 is better than 10. I find it amusing that I can update to Windows 10 'with all the features you love' :idea:^_^:swoon:

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I had to succumb to using Windows 10 for my college work. So naturally with me being a Windows Insider, the pc upgraded to Windows 11 Insider Preview. And actually...call me shocked, but it is NOT bad at all. I daresay it maybe better than Linux...call me shocked.:sorry: But I won't say that officially just yet. Either way it is fast, light, and durable. I like Windows 11...

Do you think it will work for old games? I play some very old 17-20 year old PC games so that is my top propriety.
Next is how it works for my other files and general ease of use. Nothing about 10 made me want to switch so I am sticking with 7 until it is unusable.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it will work for old games? I play some very old 17-20 year old PC games so that is my top propriety.
Next is how it works for my other files and general ease of use. Nothing about 10 made me want to switch so I am sticking with 7 until it is unusable.

What games do you still play? I'm also an old gamer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟414,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Coffee,
I feel Windows 11 will be able to play old games.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Part 2

Sure enough, the Windows 8 computers with 10 installed were using the then-current BIOS system. When real Windows 10 computers came out, they used the new UEFI system. 10 could run on either one, but 11 can only run on UEFI. That's why no Windows 7 or 8 computer can run 11.

But it really didn't matter. The first Windows 10 computers can't run 11 either. Most computers built (not "bought") in 2020 or 2021 can run 11 well. Some older rigs can run 11 poorly. But the first true Windows 10 computers can't run 11 at all.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What games do you still play? I'm also an old gamer.

The Sims 2 and Sid Meirs's Alpha Centauri. I am concerned more for the first since I still have all my original disks. AC is now switched to a downloaded version from Gog because the disk wouldn't install on this PC. I still have a disk drive as I made sure of that.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Sims 2 and Sid Meirs's Alpha Centauri. I am concerned more for the first since I still have all my original disks. AC is now switched to a downloaded version from Gog because the disk wouldn't install on this PC. I still have a disk drive as I made sure of that.

Never played AC, but I started with Civ 2. I'm an old wargamer and still have the original Civilization board game along with about 20 Avalon Hill games.

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In another low-key statement, Microsoft has reported that the Windows 11 Start Menu will include an icon advertising movies for sale in the Microsoft Store. It appears that you will be able to delete the icon. There will be a Microsoft Store icon, however, that you cannot delete.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟414,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I bought a mac and am now using it. No more Windows PCs for me. And on top of that, the mac is good for my college....

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Context Menus have changed some.
I use TortoiseGit for Repo management for my code (Mostly C#, but come C++)
And On Win 11, in the Explorer, you can right click on the base of the repo & run a Git Pull/ Push / Commit ect without issue.

Now it's changed a bit (tell I figure out how to change it)

upload_2021-7-20_18-22-8.png
then Show More Options to get
upload_2021-7-20_18-23-44.png

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This isn't new, but MS has explained that once you install Windows 11, you have ten days to change your mind, and there will be no problems going back to 10, with all your files intact.

After 10 days you can still go back, but you will have to do a clean install of 10.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's an exact quote from a Microsoft mailing sent out yesterday:

I want to buy a PC now, will I be able to install Windows 11 later?
Most Windows 10 PCs currently being sold will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. For the PC to be able to upgrade to Windows 11, it must meet the minimum hardware specifications and specific hardware is required for some features. Specific timing will vary by device.

In other words, budget PCs, and older PCs that have not been sold yet might not be able to run Windows 11.

Upvote 0