Why remember? (Moved from General Theology)

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
should we still remember the sabbath day?

Exodus 20:8-11(NKJV)
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

i mean we still agree that it is wrong to murder!

so shouldn't it also be wrong to forget?

Last edited by a moderator:

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it pleases you to observe the Sabbath, as laid down in the Jewish law, then do so. It's not compulsory.

Hey, could I have your address so I can remove your goodies from your home?;) After all, "do not steal" is just a old Jewish law! :doh:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,430.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, could I have your address so I can remove your goodies from your home?;) After all, "do not steal" is just a old Jewish law! :doh:

No it's not. It's one of the 10 commandments which were summarised by Jesus as love God with all your heart and love your neighbour as yourself. Jesus also told us to treat others as we would like to be treated. I would not want anyone to steal from me, and removing someone's property isn't loving them - so I wouldn't do it.

Whether or not you would, is another matter.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,430.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if you don't want to comment in this thread you simply don't have to?

No, I'm just wondering why, after all the Sabbath threads we've had on this forum recently AND all those in the Sabbath day sub forum, we need another discussion on the subject?

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Remember" is not referring to "not forgetting" or "thinking about it again." Rather, it is referring to making the Sabbath a reality, to *actually* observing it. It is just like when the thief on the cross said, "Remember me in your kingdom." He was not asking Jesus to think about him, but to *actually* bring him into His kingdom, to make His kingdom a reality for him.

When Christ was in the tomb, He was fulfilling what He began on the 7th day of creation; He "ended His work which he had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done." Christ rested in the tomb on the 7th day, being Himself the rest which all of the Scriptures spoke of. And when we are baptized into Christ, we are baptized into His death. In other words, in our baptism we enter into Christ's sabbath rest. Those in Christ (those who have been baptized into Christ) are always "remembering" the Sabbath, as the true Sabbath rest is now the defining reality of their lives.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

9Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

It would be wrong to "forget" about what God has said to remember... remembering and practicing are two different matters...and then in practice do we do what God has said or what man has added, so it is with the Pascha (called Easter in the King James) it was to be celebrated in remembrance of His death till He comes...do you, or do you celebrate His resurrection? Just curious...what God tells us in scripture or what men later added...Hmmm?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it's not. It's one of the 10 commandments which were summarised by Jesus as love God with all your heart and love your neighbour as yourself. Jesus also told us to treat others as we would like to be treated. I would not want anyone to steal from me, and removing someone's property isn't loving them - so I wouldn't do it.

Whether or not you would, is another matter.

Okay...(and I'm playing the advocate) did Jesus throw out the 4th commandment? Is the 4th only for the Jews and the other nine for everyone else? If so, please show me this.

Remember that I teach that we aren't "under law"...so I'm not trying to put you under law.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
here are some nice scriptures to reflect upon with prayers to God that we may see HOW one fulfills the law according to the heart of God as opposed to our own standards of righteousness and interpretation of scriptures.

Matt 12:3-12 (YLT)
And he said to them, `Did ye not read what David did, when he was hungry, himself and those with him-- how he went into the house of God, and the loaves of the presentation did eat, which it is not lawful to him to eat, nor to those with him, except to the priests alone? `Or did ye not read in the Law, that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple do profane the sabbath, and are blameless? and I say to you, that a greater than the temple is here; and if ye had known what is: Kindness I will, and not sacrifice--ye had not condemned the blameless, for the son of man is lord even of the sabbath.' And having departed thence, he went to their synagogue, and lo, there was a man having the hand withered, and they questioned him, saying, `Is it lawful to heal on the sabbaths?' that they might accuse him. And he said to them, `What man shall be of you, who shall have one sheep, and if this may fall on the sabbaths into a ditch, will not lay hold on it and raise it ? How much better, therefore, is a man than a sheep? --so that it is lawful on the sabbaths to do good.'

Luke 6:5-11 (YLT)
and he said to them, --`The Son of Man is lord also of the sabbath.' And it came to pass also, on another sabbath, that he goeth into the synagogue, and teacheth, and there was there a man, and his right hand was withered, and the scribes and the Pharisees were watching him, if on the sabbath he will heal, that they might find an accusation against him. And he himself had known their reasonings, and said to the man having the withered hand, `Rise, and stand in the midst;' and he having risen, stood. Then said Jesus unto them, `I will question you something: Is it lawful on the sabbaths to do good, or to do evil? life to save or to kill?' And having looked round on them all, he said to the man, `Stretch forth thy hand;' and he did so, and his hand was restored whole as the other; and they were filled with madness, and were speaking with one another what they might do to Jesus.

Isa 56:1-7 (YLT)
Thus said Jehovah: `Keep ye judgment, and do righteousness, For near is My salvation to come, And My righteousness to be revealed.' O the happiness of a man who doth this, And of a son of man who keepeth hold on it, Keeping the sabbath from polluting it, And keeping his hand from doing any evil. Nor speak let a son of the stranger, Who is joined unto Jehovah, saying: `Jehovah doth certainly separate me from His people.' Nor say let the eunuch, `Lo, I am a tree dried up,' For thus said Jehovah of the eunuchs, Who do keep My sabbaths, And have fixed on that which I desired, And are keeping hold on My covenant: I have given to them in My house, And within My walls a station and a name, Better than sons and than daughters, A name age-during I give to him That is not cut off. And sons of the stranger, who are joined to Jehovah, To serve Him, and to love the name of Jehovah, To be to Him for servants, Every keeper of the sabbath from polluting it, And those keeping hold on My covenant. I have brought them unto My holy mountain, And caused them to rejoice in My house of prayer, Their burnt-offerings and their sacrifices Are for a pleasing thing on Mine altar, For My house, `A house of prayer,' Is called for all the peoples.

Isa 1:2-31 (YLT)
Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth, For Jehovah hath spoken: Sons I have nourished and brought up, And they--they transgressed against Me. An ox hath known its owner, And an ass the crib of its master, Israel hath not known, My people hath not understood. Ah, sinning nation, a people heavy with iniquity, A seed of evil doers, sons--corrupters! They have forsaken Jehovah, They have despised the Holy One of Israel, They have gone away backward. Wherefore are ye stricken any more? Ye do add apostasy! Every head is become diseased, and every heart is sick. From the sole of the foot--unto the head, There is no soundness in it, Wound, and bruise, and fresh smiting! They have not been closed nor bound, Nor have they softened with ointment. Your land is a desolation, your cities burnt with fire, Your ground, before you strangers are consuming it, And a desolation as overthrown by strangers! And left hath been the daughter of Zion, As a booth in a vineyard, As a lodge in a place of cucumbers--as a city besieged. Unless Jehovah of Hosts had left to us a remnant, Shortly--as Sodom we had been, To Gomorrah we had been like! Hear the word of Jehovah, ye rulers of Sodom, Give ear to the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah, `Why to Me the abundance of your sacrifices? saith Jehovah, I have been satiated with burnt-offerings of rams, And fat of fatlings; And blood of bullocks, and lambs, And he-goats I have not desired. When ye come in to appear before Me, Who hath required this of your hand, To trample My courts? Add not to bring in a vain present, Incense--an abomination it is to Me, New moon, and sabbath, calling of convocation! Rendure not iniquity--and a restraint! Your new moons and your set seasons hath My soul hated, They have been upon me for a burden, I have been weary of bearing. And in your spreading forth your hands, I hide mine eyes from you, Also when ye increase prayer, I do not hear, Your hands of blood have been full. Wash ye, make ye pure, Turn aside the evil of your doings, from before Mine eyes, Cease to do evil, learn to do good. Seek judgment, make happy the oppressed, Judge the fatherless, strive for the widow. Come, I pray you, and we reason, saith Jehovah, If your sins are as scarlet, as snow they shall be white, If they are red as crimson, as wool they shall be! If ye are willing, and have hearkened, The good of the land ye consume, And if ye refuse, and have rebelled, By the sword ye are consumed, For the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken. How hath a faithful city become a harlot? I have filled it with judgment, Righteousness lodgeth in it--now murderers. Thy silver hath become dross, Thy drink polluted with water. Thy princes are apostates, and companions of thieves, Every one loving a bribe, and pursuing rewards, The fatherless they judge not, And the plea of the widow cometh not to them. Therefore--the affirmation of the Lord--Jehovah of Hosts, the Mighty One of Israel: Ah, I am eased of Mine adversaries, And I am avenged of Mine enemies, And I turn back My hand upon thee, And I refine as purity thy dross, And I turn aside all thy tin, And I give back thy judges as at the first, And thy counsellors as in the beginning, After this thou art called, `A city of righteousness--a faithful city.' Zion in judgment is redeemed, And her captivity in righteousness. And the destruction of transgressors and sinners is together, And those forsaking Jehovah are consumed. For men are ashamed because of the oaks That ye have desired, And ye are confounded because of the gardens That ye have chosen. For ye are as an oak whose leaf is fading, And as a garden that hath no water. And the strong hath been for tow, And his work for a spark, And burned have both of them together, And there is none quenching!

1Cor 3:4-23 (YLT)
for when one may say, `I, indeed, am of Paul;' and another, `I--of Apollos;' are ye not fleshly? Who, then, is Paul, and who Apollos, but ministrants through whom ye did believe, and to each as the Lord gave? I planted, Apollos watered, but God was giving growth; so that neither is he who is planting anything, nor he who is watering, but He who is giving growth--God; and he who is planting and he who is watering are one, and each his own reward shall receive, according to his own labour, for of God we are fellow-workmen; God's tillage, God's building ye are. According to the grace of God that was given to me, as a wise master-builder, a foundation I have laid, and another doth build on it , for other foundation no one is able to lay except that which is laid, which is Jesus the Christ; and if any one doth build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw-- of each the work shall become manifest, for the day shall declare it , because in fire it is revealed, and the work of each, what kind it is, the fire shall prove; if of any one the work doth remain that he built on it , a wage he shall receive; if of any the work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; and himself shall be saved, but so as through fire. have ye not known that ye are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God doth dwell in you? if any one the sanctuary of God doth waste, him shall God waste; for the sanctuary of God is holy, the which ye are. Let no one deceive himself; if any one doth seem to be wise among you in this age--let him become a fool, that he may become wise, for the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it hath been written, `Who is taking the wise in their craftiness;' and again, `The Lord doth know the reasonings of the wise, that they are vain.' So then, let no one glory in men, for all things are yours, whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things about to be--all are yours, and ye are Christ's, and Christ is God's.

Jer 7:21-31 (YLT)
Thus said Jehovah of Hosts, God of Israel, Your burnt-offerings add to your sacrifices, And eat ye flesh. For I did not speak with your fathers, Nor did I command them in the day of My bringing them out of the land of Egypt, Concerning the matters of burnt-offering and sacrifice, But this thing I commanded them, saying: Hearken to My voice, And I have been to you for God, And ye--ye are to Me for a people, And have walked in all the way that I command you, So that it is well for you. And they have not hearkened, nor inclined their ear, And they walk in the counsels, In the stubbornness, of their evil heart, And are for backward, and not for forward. Even from the day when your fathers Went out of the land of Egypt till this day, I send to you all my servants the prophets, Daily rising early and sending, And they have not hearkened unto Me, Nor inclined their ear, and harden their neck, They have done evil above their fathers. And thou hast spoken unto them all these words, And they do not hearken to thee, And thou hast called unto them, And they do not answer thee. And thou hast said unto them: This is the nation that hath not hearkened, To the voice of Jehovah its God, Nor have they accepted instruction, Perished hath stedfastness, Yea, it hath been cut off from their mouth. Cut off thy crown, and cast it away, And lift up on high places lamentation, For Jehovah hath rejected, And He leaveth the generation of His wrath. For the sons of Judah Have done the evil thing in Mine eyes, An affirmation of Jehovah, They have set their abominations in the house On which My name is called--to defile it, And have built the high places of Tophet, That are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, To burn their sons and their daughters with fire, Which I did not command, Nor did it come up on My heart.

Matt 5:3-9 (YLT)
`Happy the poor in spirit--because theirs is the reign of the heavens. `Happy the mourning--because they shall be comforted. `Happy the meek--because they shall inherit the land. `Happy those hungering and thirsting for righteousness--because they shall be filled. `Happy the kind--because they shall find kindness. `Happy the clean in heart--because they shall see God. `Happy the peacemakers--because they shall be called Sons of God.

Matt 6:33 (YLT)
but seek ye first the reign of God and His righteousness, and all these shall be added to you.

Luke 8:9-10 (YLT)
And his disciples were questioning him, saying, `What may this simile be?' And he said, `To you it hath been given to know the secrets of the reign of God, and to the rest in similes; that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.

lets understand what God wills for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay...(and I'm playing the advocate) did Jesus throw out the 4th commandment? Is the 4th only for the Jews and the other nine for everyone else? If so, please show me this.

Remember that I teach that we aren't "under law"...so I'm not trying to put you under law.

Let me give you a big clue:

Matt 5:7 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Has our world come to an end? No! Then the law remains...every bit of it!

Yes, if you are a believer you have been delivered from under law to under grace. To remain under law is death because "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (His agape love)".

Now, once you have accepted Christ, what then? Is there no change in the lifestyle? Yes...

However, we are still imperfect. The law now becomes a standard for Christian living. That doesn't imply we are under law because under grace every time you sin the law can't touch you...it cant' condemn you.

Can I back this, scripturally?

Yes:

Rom 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. 11 And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,430.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Matt 5:7 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Yes, Jesus did fulfil the law and the prophets.
He fulfilled the law on sacrifice for sin because he offered himself, once and for all, as a sacrifice for the sin of the world. He fulfilled the law on the Sabbath because he can give us rest (Matt 11:28) and is himself our Sabbath rest, (Heb 4). He fulfilled the festivals; crucified for sin on Good Friday to make us right with God, (Yom Kippur), he was the Passover Lamb, the Passover bread without leaven, ie sin, and the true vine. He sent his Spirit at Pentecost, 50 days after his resurrection.
Jesus fulfilled the prophets because they all pointed to him. He was the second Adam; greater than Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Elijah. He was descended from king David and fulfilled the promise God made to him. His blood was of the New covenant, prophesied by Jeremiah, he gave people the sign of Jonah, regarding his resurrection, and he fulfilled Ezekiel's prophecy by giving his Spirit who would live in all people.
For the Jews who had the Jewish law and prophets; Jesus fulfilled them. For Gentiles who didn't, we just have Jesus. Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the author and perfection of our faith; we don't need anyone or anything else.

I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Has our world come to an end? No! Then the law remains...every bit of it.

The Jewish law remains for the Jew. They believe the Messiah will fulfil it but don't accept that Jesus was the Messiah.
Gentiles, who were never given the law, and only kept it if they converted to Judaism, have Jesus. Just Jesus; he is all we need.

Yes, if you are a believer you have been delivered from under law to under grace.

We cannot be delivered from something we were never required to obey. We have been delivered from sin and death; the second exodus, with Jesus, greater than Moses, as our deliverer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
F

from scratch

Matt 5:7 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Has our world come to an end? No! Then the law remains...every bit of it!

Yes, if you are a believer you have been delivered from under law to under grace. To remain under law is death because "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (His agape love)".

Now, once you have accepted Christ, what then? Is there no change in the lifestyle? Yes...

However, we are still imperfect. The law now becomes a standard for Christian living. That doesn't imply we are under law because under grace every time you sin the law can't touch you...it cant' condemn you.

Can I back this, scripturally?

Yes:

Rom 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. 11 And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
I have a string of clues you wouldn't like from the Bible.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Great thread!

The Jewish sabbath just ended here in God's country of Texas, and I celebrated it by watching pre-season football :)

This was one of the longest running threads on GT........

http://www.christianforums.com/t7620348-101/#post59427767
What Commandment did God say to; "Remember", that the world wants to forget?

It is a strange thing that 99% of Christendom profess to love Jesus, and yet, they transgress the 4th Commandment every time they forget to keep the Sabbath day holy week after week, year after year. Those same 99%, when questioned regarding the other nine commandments will most likely say that they keep them, and that all people should obey them as well, because its wrong to steal, commit adultery, use the Lord's name in vain, murder, lie, dishonor your father or mother, covet, or worship graven images of God, or worship any other gods, other than God.

Since God himself wrote all of these Commandments with His own finger, how is it that men and women who profess to be Christians, ignore one of the 10?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7656525/
What Commandment did God say to; "Remember", that the world wants to forget? (8)

MOD HAT ON

Closing for a little cool down and review

MOD HAT OFF
MOD HAT ON

After further review, this thread will remain closed. It has run its course and there way more heat than light.

Thank you. And please review the rules, especially the part about flaming.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
lets just surmount remembering the Sabbath and lets remember God at all times. after the 7th day comes the 8th and this is the day Jesus is calling us to.
Interesting.
According to Leviticus 23:39, both the 1st day and 8th day are "sabbaths". Not sure what the significance of that is....

YLT Search Results for "eighth day"
"eighth day"
occurs in 21 verses in the YLT.

Lev 23:
36 seven days ye bring near a fire-offering to Jehovah, on the eighth day ye have a holy convocation,
and ye have brought near a fire-offering to Jehovah; it is a restraint, ye do no servile work.
39 'Only -- in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, in your gathering the increase of the land, ye do keep the feast of Jehovah seven days;
on the first day is a sabbath, and on the eighth day a sabbath;

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay...(and I'm playing the advocate) did Jesus throw out the 4th commandment?
Is the 4th only for the Jews and the other nine for everyone else? If so, please show me this.

I am not sure..but...I am willing to learn...

http://www.christianforums.com/t6748067/
Is the fourth commandment done away with?

Should Christians keep the seventh day Sabbath holy?

Are we being deceived by not remembering the Sabbath?

The Bible says that the New Covenant will have two aspects. One, God forgives us of our sins, which are the violations of the law, which include the forth commandment. 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Two, God will write His law on our hearts.

We know from Scripture that keeping of the Ten Commandments saves no one, but rather, they point out our need for a Savior. It's God's grace that saves us.

This tells me that we don't keep the commandmends to get saved, but rather, once we are saved we will keep them because we love God and neighbor.

Romans 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!

Shall we break the law of God because we are now saved?

God tells us that the keeping of the law is motivated by love for God and love for neighbor.

Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?'' Jesus said to him, " `You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the first and great commandment. "And the second is like it: `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.''

How we love God and neighbor is defined in the Ten Commandments.

The first four teach us what pleases God and the last six teaches us what will please others.

How does God write these two aspects of the law on our hearts.

Under the Old Covenant they were commanded to keep the commandments or die.

Under the New Covenant we are free from that fearful aspect of death for not keeping the law and are now under grace, in other words, God frees us from the law and its penalty so that we now are free to obey or not obey without fear. This will open us up to obey God from the heart.

Ephesians 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart,

Look at it this way. Lets say a guy hires a maid, she comes to his house twice a week. The guy puts up a list of chores for her to do, which entail, laundry, dishes, cooking and cleaning. If she does not do these things she will risk the chance of being fired. As she begins to work for him, several months go by when they begin to fall in love and get married. The first thing she does when she comes home from her wedding is she removes the list of chores. Does this mean she will no longer do these things? No, it means she does not need the list to tell her what to do because she loves her husband.

God takes away the law so that we can keep the law because we love Him. If I saw that maid doing all the house work for free I would have to ask why she was doing it. Her response would be, because she Ioves him.

If someone asked me why I was keeping the Sabbath, since we are no longer under the law but under grace, I wound have to say, because I love Him.

The Ten Commandments have not been done away with, we just have a different relationship to them now. They go from being written on stone to being written on our heart through freedom and love.

Listen to how the Ten Commandments are referred to by Paul.

Ephesians 6:2 "Honor your father and mother,'' which is the first commandment with promise:
Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

Listen to how Jesus refers back to them.

Luke 18:18-21 Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?'' So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. "You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery,' `Do not murder,' `Do not steal,' `Do not bear false witness,' `Honor your father and your mother.' '' And he said, "All these I have kept from my youth.''

Jesus was even concerned about the Sabbath forty years after His resurrection.

Matthew 24:16-20 "then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. "Let him who is on the housetop not come down to take anything out of his house. "And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those with nursing babies in those days! "And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.

Jesus even said He was Lord of the Sabbath and how the Sabbath was made for man.

These are not words that do away with the law or the Sabbath, but rather, confirm the Sabbath and the law.

What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0