Does the day of Christ resurrections tell us to change the worship of Sabbath?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..to Sunday, or the first day of the week?

Some people claim the Sabbath was changed by the resurrection or say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection', or they are told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection, but did they? Did the resurrection somehow make the Sabbath to cease or cause a change in the day of worship?

Worship is the reason for the Sabbath from Creation and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on, so we must be careful we don't change to ideas of men. Christ warned that this would happen...

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So what should we do, follow what man says and 'traditions' that man comes up with? God gives us is the truth and we find it in His Word..
John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
1 Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

If we turn from Gods truth what happens...

2 Thessalonians 2:10
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the clear and obvious truths of God’s Word.

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

So what does it tell us clearly in the Word of God when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law.

Acts 5:29
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, what do we have from Gods Word. Well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. But He decidedly and repeatedly told us to keep holy the seventh day of the week. In Gethsemane on Thursday night and on the cross on Friday morning and afternoon, our salvation hung in the balance. By sundown Friday it was all settled. The price had been paid. The salvation of those who would accept it was assured. Then came the Sabbath day of rest, and Jesus our Lord rested in the tomb.

On Sunday morning, He rose and another work week began. Christ began working again. We see no changes made and if there was something that we should focus on, the resurrection of Christ is in no way as important as is Calvary. Those who wish to abandon a clear command of God to keep the seventh day for another day, might as well say they keep Friday holy in honor of Calvary. But we keep a day holy because God says to, not because man says to do it or we decide to.

Some say that they keep Sunday because it is the "great memorial of our redemption." This is not true. The sign or symbol or memorial of our redemption is the Bible Sabbath. Our keeping of it is the sign by which all men shall know that we belong to God our Creator and that it is He, and not we ourselves, who is saving us from sin and will ultimately redeem us from this evil world. The seventh-day Sabbath is the seal of the law and the sign that He is our Creator.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

And through whom we are sanctified so we may be saved by the Redeemer and stand perfect before God.

Ezekiel 20:12
Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So do we break the Law the Creator wrote with His own finger, and continue in sin..
Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The answer is clear, 'God forbid.'

Reactions: BobRyan

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
..to Sunday, or the first day of the week?

Some people claim the Sabbath was changed by the resurrection or say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection', or they are told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection, but did they? Did the resurrection somehow make the Sabbath to cease or cause a change in the day of worship?

Worship is the reason for the Sabbath from Creation and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on, so we must be careful we don't change to ideas of men. Christ warned that this would happen...

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So what should we do, follow what man says and 'traditions' that man comes up with? God gives us is the truth and we find it in His Word..
John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
1 Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

If we turn from Gods truth what happens...

2 Thessalonians 2:10
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the clear and obvious truths of God’s Word.

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

So what does it tell us clearly in the Word of God when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law.

Acts 5:29
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, what do we have from Gods Word. Well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. But He decidedly and repeatedly told us to keep holy the seventh day of the week. In Gethsemane on Thursday night and on the cross on Friday morning and afternoon, our salvation hung in the balance. By sundown Friday it was all settled. The price had been paid. The salvation of those who would accept it was assured. Then came the Sabbath day of rest, and Jesus our Lord rested in the tomb.

On Sunday morning, He rose and another work week began. Christ began working again. We see no changes made and if there was something that we should focus on, the resurrection of Christ is in no way as important as is Calvary. Those who wish to abandon a clear command of God to keep the seventh day for another day, might as well say they keep Friday holy in honor of Calvary. But we keep a day holy because God says to, not because man says to do it or we decide to.

Some say that they keep Sunday because it is the "great memorial of our redemption." This is not true. The sign or symbol or memorial of our redemption is the Bible Sabbath. Our keeping of it is the sign by which all men shall know that we belong to God our Creator and that it is He, and not we ourselves, who is saving us from sin and will ultimately redeem us from this evil world. The seventh-day Sabbath is the seal of the law and the sign that He is our Creator.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

And through whom we are sanctified so we may be saved by the Redeemer and stand perfect before God.

Ezekiel 20:12
Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So do we break the Law the Creator wrote with His own finger, and continue in sin..
Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The answer is clear, 'God forbid.'
The Sabbath remains the same and will never change. We worship our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth everyday, Sunday through Saturday. Keeping Sabbath has its roots in Judaism and if one desires to observe it ,no harm done ! There is no Sunday observance or replacement for the Sabbath. It just doesn't exist. Consider this understanding.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Sabbath remains the same and will never change. We worship our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth everyday, Sunday through Saturday. Keeping Sabbath has its roots in Judaism and if one desires to observe it ,no harm done ! There is no Sunday observance or replacement for the Sabbath. It just doesn't exist. Consider this understanding.
Blessings.
If you admit that the Sabbath was never changed why do you keep Sunday?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I keep every day alike, for the Lord!
Blessings.
Why? Is it wrong to consider God's thoughts and ideas far greater than our own? I've always considered omniscience an attribute I will never possess.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why? Is it wrong to consider God's thoughts and ideas far greater than our own? I've always considered omniscience an attribute I will never possess.
No not wrong. " Let each be convinced in his own mind".
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you admit that the Sabbath was never changed why do you keep Sunday?
We are not to forsake assembling together, and the early church did that on Sunday, the Lord's (Jesus Christ) day.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus in His own Words said heaven and earth would pass away before one dot of an i or cross of a t could be changed from His holy law warning us not to break or teach others to break the least of these commandments.

Only God can make a day holy, not man and God only made the seventh day Sabbath holy from the very beginning. Gen 2:1-3 All other days are working/labor days or common days, not holy days Exodus 20:9

This is what God says when we keep God's holy day as a common day

Eze 22:26 Her priests have violated My law and profaned My holy things; they have not distinguished between the holy and unholy, nor have they made known the difference between the unclean and the clean; and they have hidden their eyes from My Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.

How do you think God feels when we exalt a day God made as a working day to do labor and man recreates that and assigns it to God has His holy day in lieu the day God deemed holy in His very own Words that He wrote, and He spoke. Exodus 20:8-11 Isa 58:13 There is no commandment for Sunday keeping, there is for Sabbath-keeping Exodus 20:8-11 and commandment is just that, not something that is optional. Sunday is not sacred by God, not sanctified, blessed or made holy by God, God only did so with the seventh day Sabbath. Exo 20:8-11 Gen 2:1-3

The only day in all of God's Word where God says this- this is the Lord thy God speaking here...and who this argument really is with.

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.

Isa 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
14 Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

God does not change and the choice is up to us, do we follow man and their traditions or obey the commandments of God. Jesus in His own Words tells us which path to follow. Mark 7:7-8 Mat 15:3-9

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus in His own Words said heaven and earth would pass away before one dot of an i or cross of a t could be changed from His holy l
Actually, that is not what he said. Jesus said:

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law UNTIL everything is accomplished" in him, which it was at his ascension.
warning us not to break or teach others to break the least of these commandments.
And they are not broken in the Lawgiver's new covenant law (Mt 22:37-40), for according to his own apostle, "he who loves has fulfilled the law" (Ro 13:8, 9-10).

He who loves God and neighbor as self has fulfilled the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law UNTIL everything is accomplished" in him, which it was at his ascension.

And they are not broken in the Lawgiver's new covenant law (Mt 22:37-40), for according to his own apostle, "he who loves has fulfilled the law" (Ro 13:8).
Not everything in the law or Prophets has been accomplished as the Second Coming of Jesus Christ has not happened therefore not one i or dot can be removed from His holy law and if we break or teach others to break the least of these commandments we will be in fear of judgement and sin. Mat 5:17-30.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law UNTIL everything is accomplished" in him, which it was at his ascension.

And they are not broken in the Lawgiver's new covenant law (Mt 22:37-40), for according to his own apostle, "he who loves has fulfilled the law" (Ro 13:8).
Why do you add words Jesus never said.

So fulfilling the law doesn't include God.

The NC was given to the Jews of the OT.

Jeremiah 31: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

This goes right along with what Jesus prayed for His disciples.

John 17: 1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Jesus kept the old covenant and had new covenant beliefs but why wouldn't He? He was a Jew.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not everything in the law or Prophets has been accomplished as the Second Coming of Jesus Christ has not happened therefore not one i or dot can be removed from His holy law and if we break or teach others to break the least of these commandments we will be in fear of judgement and sin. Mat 5:17-30.
Salvation has been accomplished, that's what he came to do (Mt 20:28), everything else is simply the effects of that work in time.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you add words Jesus never said.
Please present your Biblical demonstrtaion of my error.
So fulfilling the law doesn't include God.
Straw man. . .
The NC was given to the Jews of the OT.
The NC was given to those in Christ, both Jew and Gentile (Ro 11).
Jeremiah 31: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
This goes right along with what Jesus prayed for His disciples.
John 17: 1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Jesus kept the old covenant and had new covenant beliefs but why wouldn't He? He was a Jew.
Jesus was born, lived, preached and died under the Old Covenant.
The New Covenant began after his atoning death.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Salvation has been accomplished, that's what he came to do (Mt 20:28), everything else is simply the effects of that work in time.
No, judgement is the last day. John 12:48 At that time our fates will be sealed. Rev 22:11

People can still come to Jesus now and people can still fall away now and why breaking and teaching others to break the least of these commandments affects our status in heaven Mat 5:19-30 as we will be in fear of judgement and sin. And nothing can be changed from His holy law as heaven and earth have not passed and Jesus has not come in the cloud where every eye shall see Him Rev 1:7 and His people meet Him in the air. 1 Thes 4:17

Personally, I trust the teachings of Jesus just the way He states, no need to add our words and edit His teachings. Our faith should be in His every Word. Mat 4:4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Judgment is simply the result of rejecting the already-accomplished work of salvation.
So you believe in OSAS.

Jesus rebukes this teaching in His own Words as many believers will say to Him Lord Lord at His Second Coming, but do not submit to His will or keep His law Mat 7:21-23 and the law He is referring to is the Ten Commandments Rev 22:14-15 God's version, not what was changed by man scripture warned us about Dan 7:25 But suit yourself, we have free will and all gets sorted out soon enough.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
About Jesus fulfilling the Law and the Prophets,

Jesus uses the same phrase here

I think Jesus means the general message of the Law and the Prophets, not every prophecy.

Upvote 0