Calgary
✟29,071.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The origin of the Sabbath has been debated by Bible scholars with some that argue that the Sabbath originated at the time of Moses.
It's not so much the origin of the Sabbath that's debated, it's more the origin of the command to keep the Sabbath that's debated.

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's not so much the origin of the Sabbath that's debated, it's more the origin of the command to keep the Sabbath that's debated.
Yeshua said that Shabbat was made for Adam...

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because that is what He told the Samaritan woman at the well.
How do you know He is who He claims to be?

Luke 24: 25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well what would you do if Jesus showed up today and repeated His actions from the Bible..

Mark 6:2
And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

Would you condemn Him for keeping the Sabbath and say His followers are free from His Law.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As a non-Jewish Christian, the Torah is totally irrelevant to me. Paul never taught the Gentile churches to observe the Torah as the basis of Christian doctrine, in fact, the Gentile believers had no idea of what it was about, much less have any interest in it.
On the contrary the true apostles have always explained and recited the whole Bible to everyone. Furthermore, many congregations would have contained some gentiles who had shown an interest in Hebrew faith already.

Christians observed the day after the Sabbath so that the Jewish ones could do synagoguish things the day before in addition. Sunday only got colloquially or metaphorically called "Sabbath" in some circumstances.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm just a Gentile guy who reads and believes the New Testament. The Jewish Law, including the Ten Commandments is irrelevant to me. I live and walk in the Spirit who teaches and guides me according the righteousness of Christ which has been bestowed on me as God's free gift. "By grace I am saved through faith, not of myself, but is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast." Also,
"There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit." (Romans 8:1). Walking after the flesh involves trying to follow the Commandments through my own strength in order to establish a righteousness that is apart from the righteousness of Christ. If I tried to follow God's moral laws and commandments in the flesh, then grace is no more grace for me, and I have fallen away from Christ and remain lost in my iniquities and sins.
I'm just a Gentile guy who reads, and believes, both the OT and the NT.

Pail also says the following:

Galatians 5: 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Tell me, how do you keep the spirit of the law and avoid the letter of the law? The spirit of the law is contained in the letter of it. We cannot keep the spirit of any law and disregard the letter of it. I can't say I'm obeying the spirit of even a traffic law while breaking the letter of the it

John said the following.

1John 3: 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because that is what He told the Samaritan woman at the well.
Yeah, and why did the disciples live in fear for a day after Jesus' death and finally have their faith confirmed after Jesus' ressurection?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
This does not seem to align with NT teaching, unless you are stating that the apostles are in an unsaved state when they died as they kept every Sabbath Acts 13:42-44 Acts 16:8 Acts 18:4 etc. etc. decades after the death of Jesus when He died and on His death His covenant ratified and nothing could be changed to His covenant.

Jesus commissioned the apostles to observe everything He commanded. Mat 28:18-20 His faithful followers kept the Sabbath according to the commandment after His death Luke 23:20.

I think it’s up to Jesus who is saved and who is not. God kept the Sabbath, Jesus kept the Sabbath, His apostles kept the Sabbath and His faithful followers kept the Sabbath according to the commandment. Luke 23:56 Seems like the group to be in instead of doing our own thing, as we were made in the image of God to follow Him.

Once God blesses something as He did the seventh day Sabbath, man can not reverse Num 23:20 and in all of your assessment, not one passage was quoted from scripture, yet alone a thus saith the Lord about God’s holy Sabbath day. If you prayerfully research all the Sabbath scripture in God’s Word almost all have a thus saith the Lord around them, so thats some big shoes one would need to fill to disprove God’s Sabbath and His holy day that He said in His own Words. Isaiah 58:13. There is no scripture in all of God’s Word that says we can break any of His commandments- Jesus said we are not to break the least of them. Math 5:19-30 The one commandment God said Remember, the one that is holy and blessed by God is doubtful that is a least commandment, but even if so, Jesus told us to keep. Jesus said heaven and earth would pass before one dot if an i or cross of a t could be removed from His holy law. Mat 5:18 My faith is in His every Word and until God says we can break His Sabbath and His holy day, my faith is in Him.

This is what God says:

Isaiah 56:1

Thus says the Lord:

Keep justice, and do righteousness,
For My salvation is about to come,
And My righteousness to be revealed.

2 Blessed is the man who does this,
And the son of man who lays hold on it;
Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant—

We should be a servant to God instead of following the crowd keeping mans traditions over the commandments of God. Mark 7:7-8 Mat 15:3-9
Hi, I’ve been pondering the keeping of the Sabbath and, what you have said seems to make sense. Most Christians either do not believe keeping the Sabbath is relevant or the day (Saturday) has changed to Sunday. My question is if we are to keep the Saturday Sabbath, where are we to worship, have fellowship, etc.

Upvote 0

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi, I’ve been pondering the keeping of the Sabbath and, what you have said seems to make sense. Most Christians either do not believe keeping the Sabbath is relevant or the day (Saturday) has changed to Sunday. My question is if we are to keep the Saturday Sabbath, where are we to worship, have fellowship, etc.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are several denominations that keep the Sabbath. The Adventist church is the largest, but there are others. There are Messianic congregations also, and I have met a few people who worship on Sabbath privately and other independent congregations too.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Fearful!

We are promised to be blessed when we keep the Sabbath and His holy commandment. Isa 58:13-14 Isa 56:1-6 Eze 20:12 Eze 20:20 Isa 66:22-23

I like my church the Seventh day Adventist as it really focuses on the Bible. It’s the largest Sabbath-keeping church out there but there are other denominations who also keep the Sabbath.

Here are some websites where you can see sermons online to get an idea before checking it out.

AmazingFacts.com
SumTV.com
Clash of Minds Clash Of Minds | Clash Of Minds
Itiswritten.com
3ABN.com

I would check out a few different churches in your area. I checked out several Adventist churches in my area when I moved before finding the right fit. I would sincerely pray about it to Jesus, He wants nothing more than to bless and sanctify us.

Feel free to ask me any questions! You can PM me as well.

God bless and Happy Sabbath!

Upvote 0

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
There are several denominations that keep the Sabbath. The Adventist church is the largest, but there are others. There are Messianic congregations also, and I have met a few people who worship on Sabbath privately and other independent congregations too.
Unfortunately I only know of Adventist Churches which I don’t feel comfortable with, mostly due to their following of Ellen White. I live in Mississippi. Any advise would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Unfortunately I only know of Adventist Churches which I don’t feel comfortable with, mostly due to their following of Ellen White. I live in Mississippi. Any advise would be appreciated.
Sorry, I live on the west coast. An internet search is your best bet to find a local church.

Have you actually read Ellen White? Try her small booklet Steps to Christ to see what she's all about. You can download it from the internet for free.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just curious if you ever read one of her books? I wouldn’t listen to everything you read on the Internet. In the days of Jesus so called people of God killed Jesus, mocked His Prophets and killed His disciples. The SDA follows the Bible and EGW tells us to test everything from the Bible.

That said, you do not need to be an Adventist to keep the Sabbath commandment. The Seventh day Baptist is probably the second largest Sabbath keeping denomination, not sure about what other doctrine they teach..

Try to tune out the noise and I would sincerely pray about it and allow His Spirit to lead you.

God bless!

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless one acknowledges and accepts that Jesus has become the believers' Sabbath rest which replaces the obligation to keep the Saturday Sabbath, they may be religious, but they can't claim to be Christian.
So how do you get together with the church brethren and when..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟328,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would humbly point out to you, that the tradition of creating a religious business, and then building shrines of worship made of wood and stone to worship in, doesn't come from God or the Scriptures. In the Old Covenant, men were required to find a Levite Priest, who alone had access to the Oracles of God. But now everyone has access to the intent "they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD".

As a result of this fulfilled prophesy, "WE" sit in Moses' seat (Matt. 23:1-3) and can hear Moses and the Prophets each time we study "In Faith".

Remember;

Duet. 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.

12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, "Who shall go up "for us" to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea "for us", and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

We don't need someone to bring HIS Word to us.

My friend, you have already discerned that "many" of this world's religions "Who come in Christ's Name", promote questionable doctrines and traditions. Consider that from the beginning, God has called His people out of them. Abraham is one of many examples. When asked about the future and the "sign of the times", here is what the Jesus of the Bible most feared for His Disciples.

Matt. 24: 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

And Paul's words.

2 Cor. 11: 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, "transforming themselves" into the apostles "of Christ".

And again;

Col. 2: 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

These all, and many many more, are warnings regarding ONE specific religion which exists in the garden God placed both you and I in. And although to consider this undeniable truth may be uncomfortable, and even cause offence, in my view ignoring these warnings of this One True God, is Spiritual suicide. After all, it wasn't the Egyptians or the promoters of Greek gods, or even the Jews who betrayed Jesus unto death. It was a "Christian".

I too, like you, sought out a religion with manmade shrines of worship to adopt and support, mostly for the fellowship. And I set about studying God's Word in belief (Faith) that HE would show me His True church, out of all the religions to choose from, in order to worship God in the manner Jesus instructed, and to Pray to the Father, acceptably with reverence and Godly fear.

What I found, and am still finding after 30 years, is that Jesus didn't partake of the religions of the world God placed Him in, and HE didn't advocate that I do either. Here is what HE said, to the offence of "many".

Matt. 6: 1 Take heed (There is that warning again) that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. 2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

What I found, was the truth that God doesn't need random, self-proclaimed "ministers of righteousness" to teach me HIS Truth. HE is perfectly capable to directing my footsteps without me having to choose between the "many" religious sects or businesses and their differing philosophies. And it is true I was alone for a while, but God led me to others who had been brought to the same conclusion so now I have several families to fellowship with and we do get together most every Sabbath to discuss Scriptures and share the events of the past week for edification.

Now this lifestyle would never be accepted by the religious businesses of this world, because in order to grow they NEED men to adopt and then promote and support their particular religion. Without money, these religious businesses could not exist.

I have learned that this is not the case with God's Church throughout history, and certainly not in Jesus' time, and am convinced it is still not true today, "by reason of use".

In closing, I advocate for trusting the Scriptures and the God who Inspired them for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

God's Speed to you Fearful, as you "Seek the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness". Feel free to PM me anytime you need to talk or fellowship.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So how do you get together with the church brethren and when..
The Jewish Sabbath was designed to be a day of rest. Because Saturday was the only day when the Jews were not at work, they had the time to get together for fellowship and worship. Christians went to the Temple and to the synagogue to share the Gospel, not to engage in Jewish worship. They worshiped on the first day of the week which was Sunday. There is no such thing as a Sunday sabbath. Some churches call it that to describe their day of worship, but the Sabbath was not for worship but for rest after six days of working. The legal obligation to keep the Jewish Saturday sabbath became obsolete as soon as the Day of Pentecost arrived and the Christian church was born. Furthermore, no Gentile was ever obligated to keep the Jewish sabbath.

Upvote 0