Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read comments in various threads about apostles and prophets don't exist today. Also that the miracles that Jesus did and the apostles only happened back then. Then the comments that for the most part scriptures were pertaining to the Jews only. Oh and that God doesn't speak to us except through the Bible.

So here is my question: If the Bible only pertains to the Jews why read it if you are not a Jew? This also implies that the Bible is nothing more than a history book of the accounts of others lives.
If miracles only occurred back then, why pray for a miracle? Why pray at all?
If apostles and prophets don't exist today why are we warned of "false prophets" (to me this implies there are prophets). If God doesn't speak to us, then how do we receive direction in our personal lives?

My point in all this is I am tired of the continual debate trying to minimize the Power of the Living Word in our lives. By faith I believe He talks to me and I hear His voice. By faith I believe that I can pray and whatever I have need of when I pray in Jesus name it is answered. By faith I believe I serve the same God as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and that He is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever. By faith I believe the Word of God is a Living Word and that it applies to me as well as it did to those in the Bible. By faith I believe that all things are possible with God and that He intended for All Teachings to Be Continued throughout eternity.

Okay, I am just frustrated with the reasoning of people who argue that the Bible, (in part) is not applicable to us today .
Church members were praying for a man with a failing heart. His son was running down the hall of the hospital to find his father had been declared dead after fifteen minutes of resuscitation failed to bring him back. What happened next was a miracle:
Man Declared Dead Comes Back to Life

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Church members were praying for a man with a failing heart. His son was running down the hall of the hospital to find his father had been declared dead after fifteen minutes of resuscitation failed to bring him back. What happened next was a miracle:
Man Declared Dead Comes Back to Life
What an awesome testimony of His miraculous supernatural power to heal!!!
:amen:

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have had your attitude 47 years ago when I was 23 years old and still in the Pentecostal church. But I have had 47 more years of practical experience walking with God in the light of His countenance. I have asked more questions of God about miracles and supernatural gifts than you have had hot dinners and I have come to the conclusions that I am writing in my posts concerning signs, wonders and miracles. There is a saying, "Don't judge me before you know me." The most clear answer that I have had in my prayers and questioning is that miracles, signs and wonders that turn unbelievers to Christ are not generally happening today in Western churches (although they are in third world countries), is that our churches cater mainly for believers and are basically self sufficient and self indulgent. Most, churches have no real effect on the community around them, not like a Korean church in 1907 that had all the people in the streets radiating from the church turn to Christ. And a woman evangelist in tent meetings in the United States at the turn of the 20th Century, had people fall down on their faces and turn to Christ up to 20 miles from her tent. That is the power of God. Quite different to what is going on with modern showmen in massed meetings, mainly attended by church people, and on TV, asserting that they are having miracle meetings, but little evidence of any miracles taking place. A true sign and a wonder is one which is nation-wide news and turns whole communities to Christ. The man in the white suit can wave at the choir and they all fall down, but the unbeliever living three doors down from that meeting venue is untouched and couldn't care less. If we want Early Church miracles, then we need the Early Church concentration of true repentance, commitment to Christ, and holy living, and preaching the gospel with conviction so that sinners will fall down and repent, instead of making "easy believer" decisions which they will probably keep to for a couple of months, and then when the going get tough they chuck it all in and go back to their previous lives.

So, don't tell me I don't believe in miracles. They are not always spectacular, and in my case I have experienced miracles where they were anything but spectacular, but they changed my life and greatly strengthened my faith in Christ. I have never had a healing miracle because I haven't needed one, and if I did get an uncurable disease, I wouldn't be begging God for a miracle but instead I would put my trust in Him to do what He wants with me. After all, at the end of this year, I will have had my allotted three score years and ten, so any time after that is at God's discretion - as long as I have any use in this life. If God decides to heal me supernaturally, that would be a bonus, but my condition for Him is that as a result my whole family, relatives, and non-Christian friends, whom I pray for every day, turn to Christ; otherwise, thanks, but no thanks.

Okay, Oscarr, i guess we all have our different beliefs. If yours works for you then great, and mine works for me just as great. One day we will all learn the whole truth and realize just how much we missed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Miracles, Divine healing, and other manifestations of the Holy Spirit, and lives of the Old Testament saints are just as relevant today. Please don't lose hope. Peace in Christ :).

So, if Jesus is the same that means He did not come in the flesh, die on the cross, raise from the dead, did not ascend to heaven or did not send the Holy Spirit? It appears you are saying his works are always the same that of which He did in his ministry on earth.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Alec Taylor, writer of the Pilgrim Bible Notes. said that in 15 years in a pentecostal church, he went to hundreds of healing meetings but never saw one actual healing.

A friend of mine who went to a local charismatic church said if he was ill he didn't want them to pray for him as everyone they prayed for, soon died,

God does heal today, but I don't believe that anyone has the gift of healing as so many claim. I know of Christians who doctors gave less than six months to live have survived for many years. One of those is my wife.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, if Jesus is the same that means He did not come in the flesh, die on the cross, raise from the dead, did not ascend to heaven or did not send the Holy Spirit? It appears you are saying his works are always the same that of which He did in his ministry on earth.
It does not mean that....you are really reaching. lol....to state that He is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever refers to the manifestation of His Power in us and through us, what He did for others He is still doing for us today.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alec Taylor, writer of the Pilgrim Bible Notes. said that in 15 years in a pentecostal church, he went to hundreds of healing meetings but never saw one actual healing.

A friend of mine who went to a local charismatic church said if he was ill he didn't want them to pray for him as everyone they prayed for, soon died,

God does heal today, but I don't believe that anyone has the gift of healing as so many claim. I know of Christians who doctors gave less than six months to live have survived for many years. One of those is my wife.
I understand there are arguments to both sides of this topic. I guess for me, since I have experienced it, it is easier to believe than those who have never seen it or experienced it. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to his Disciples in the book of John that they would do the works that He did (and John says that there were so many of them there wouldn't be enough room on earth to store all the books that recorded them), but even greater works because He was going to the Father.

The context of the verse, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever" is in the context of imitating the way of life of our leaders and imitating their faith, and not be drawn away to false doctrines and teachings. It shows that Jesus does not change with every wind of doctrine or standards. Our cultures and standards change from century to century and decade to decade, but Jesus does not change His own standards and foundations of what He taught. If He said in His day that His disciples did the works He did and even greater ones, He has not changed from that. This means as His disciples, it is possible for us to do the same works He did, and even greater ones.

The trouble with our churches, is that they are nothing like the Church of the First Century, so those in our churches have an almost impossible time trying to do even a fraction of the works that Jesus did, let alone the greater ones. It is not Jesus' fault that we don't see His works today. It is the Church. The Church in all its denominations and variant teachings, is its own worst enemy. The Church in general has decided that the works of Jesus will not happen, in the way it teaches easy believerism, no need for repentance and turning from sin because Jesus has forgiven us our sins so we don't need to worry about them any more, and therefore no need to make the effort to live a holy life because that is just legalism, and we are free from the Law. So, until our modern Church returns to the foundations that the Early Church was built on, we won't see the works that the Early Church was able to accomplish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

That parallels my experience in the Charismatic church I attended from 1973-78. I went to all the healing meetings, heard all the "big name" healing ministries that came through our city, and saw same people meeting after meeting going up for prayer for healing. I have a good Christian friend and brother who broke his ankle, and at a healing meeting had his ankle "lengthened". Those close to him saw the movement, but afterward there was no actual change, so he went up for prayer when the next healing guy came to town. In all the years I was with Pentecostal and Charismatic churches 1966-78, I never saw one person healed of an incurable condition, such as heart disease or cancer. I became very disillusioned, and was a skeptic of the modern healing ministry. It seemed like a fraud to me, because there were great promises and claims but no results. But I had another Christian brother who was deaf in both ears, and went for an operation in one ear, after receiving prayer for hearing, and spending time in private prayer himself. On the way home, he realised he could hear, but it was through the ear that wasn't operated on! That was the only real healing that I heard about in those days. So I knew that God could heal, but had serious doubts about the modern healing "ministry". So I put it on the back burner for many years.

About three years ago, I decided to find out once and for all, so I went to my favourite Christian second hand bookshop and bought every book I could on healing. I read all the authors and writers from the Methodist Holiness movement which involved a healing ministry, right to the present day. It was quite an education, and I read many testimonies about people who were healed of all sorts of medical conditions. Then I started asking God about why it is not happening on a regular basis in our churches. That's when He told me that today's churches are nothing like the Church the Holy Spirit founded on the Day of Pentecost, and until the Church returns to those foundations, we will never see the greater works that Jesus promised to His disciples.

From what I read, it was when leaders and people started praying and agonising for the lost, and preached the gospel in power, requiring repentance from sin, and total commitment to Christ as Lord, and determination to live a holy life, that revival happened and people were not only getting saved but healed as well. When the revival died out as a new generation of believers who did not have the same passion for souls took over the leadership, the healings vanished as well.

Two years ago we had a well-known healing evangelist, who had remarkable results in Africa with millions attending his open air meetings and hundreds being healed, holding a crusade in Auckland, and 2000 people (pretty good for New Zealand), attended. Now this man had an excellent reputation for getting people saved and healed. 40 people received Christ for the first time, and many people were prayed for to receive healing. Not one healing of any incurable disease was reported. If it was so, it would have been all over our newspapers. New Zealand is a small country and so a number of people miraculously healed of incurable cancer, blindness, deafness, or heart disease would have been big news here. In 1922, when Smith Wiggleworth held meetings in Wellington NZ and people were healed, it was reported in the local newspaper because those healings were genuine and newsworthy.

But do your newspapers splash headlines on the front page, "Evangelist in White Suit Heals One Hundred Incurable Cancer Patients At Last Sunday Night's Crusade!" Why, because in spite of all the showmanship and groups falling over at the wave of his hand, nothing like that actually happened. How many people in wheelchairs jumped up and began running around the room, leaping and praising God like the lame man in Acts 3? If that had happened, wouldn't that be front page news?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read comments in various threads about apostles and prophets don't exist today. Also that the miracles that Jesus did and the apostles only happened back then. Then the comments that for the most part scriptures were pertaining to the Jews only. Oh and that God doesn't speak to us except through the Bible.

So here is my question: If the Bible only pertains to the Jews why read it if you are not a Jew? This also implies that the Bible is nothing more than a history book of the accounts of others lives.
If miracles only occurred back then, why pray for a miracle? Why pray at all?
If apostles and prophets don't exist today why are we warned of "false prophets" (to me this implies there are prophets). If God doesn't speak to us, then how do we receive direction in our personal lives?

My point in all this is I am tired of the continual debate trying to minimize the Power of the Living Word in our lives. By faith I believe He talks to me and I hear His voice. By faith I believe that I can pray and whatever I have need of when I pray in Jesus name it is answered. By faith I believe I serve the same God as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and that He is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever. By faith I believe the Word of God is a Living Word and that it applies to me as well as it did to those in the Bible. By faith I believe that all things are possible with God and that He intended for All Teachings to Be Continued throughout eternity.

Okay, I am just frustrated with the reasoning of people who argue that the Bible, (in part) is not applicable to us today .

Miracles happen, our God is a God of miracles, His Engagement with us has always involved miraculous Intervention. Cessationism is not a biblical Position but every claim needs to be tested as not all that is claimed for God is of Him.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟251,947.00
Faith
Christian
Miracles happen, our God is a God of miracles, His Engagement with us has always involved miraculous Intervention. Cessationism is not a biblical Position but every claim needs to be tested as not all that is claimed for God is of Him.

Who said cessationists don't believe in miracles? Cessationists would be the first to affirm that God can and sometimes does perform miracles. Cessationists would be more than willing to pray for someone to be healed, even miraculously.

But praying for healing is not the gift of healing. The gift of healing is a person having the supernatural ability to heal someone else, of even permanent disabilities, by just a touch or a command. No praying is necessary. And the healing would be instantaneous and 100% effective, just as the disciples did in the NT with the lame instantly walking and the blind instantly seeing. If someone has to pray for healing it proves they do not have the gift of healing.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who said cessationists don't believe in miracles? Cessationists would be the first to affirm that God can and sometimes does perform miracles. Cessationists would be more than willing to pray for someone to be healed, even miraculously.

But praying for healing is not the gift of healing. The gift of healing is a person having the supernatural ability to heal someone else, of even permanent disabilities, by just a touch or a command. No praying is necessary. And the healing would be instantaneous and 100% effective, just as the disciples did in the NT with the lame instantly walking and the blind instantly seeing. If someone has to pray for healing it proves they do not have the gift of healing.

So I guess by that Definition the apostles did not have the gift of healing

Mark 9:29
He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟251,947.00
Faith
Christian
So I guess by that Definition the apostles did not have the gift of healing

Mark 9:29
He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."

I wouldn't say exorcism is healing. Look at the examples in Acts of the disciples healing people. Nowhere does it say they prayed for healing.

Upvote 0

Thomas1987

Feb 4, 2018
Ivano-Frankivsk
✟10,352.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea i don't understand why people pray for miracle . Miracle is something that does not happen usually but when Jesus was here on earth 2000 years ago he was healing people left and right , moreover he was raising people from grave so it was not a miracle but common thing .

Pray for healing instead of miracles .

• Informative
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

nutsofacto

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2018
Las Cruces, New Mexico
✟25,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yea i don't understand why people pray for miracle . Miracle is something that does not happen usually but when Jesus was here on earth 2000 years ago he was healing people left and right , moreover he was raising people from grave so it was not a miracle but common thing .

Pray for healing instead of miracles .

Thomas 1987
I totally agree with you....it seems that many (if not most) of so-called Christians don't understand the absolute and incomprehensibly has the power to do anything, so all-powerful that He can do what He wants with every molecule in the UNIVERSE!
And about miracles - I've seen them and experienced at least three (but I'm sure there have been many I didn't recognize) - the first when I was ONE-YEAR OLD (that will test the faith of many folks) and the last was the 27th of December last year when I woke up a 7:30 AM after going to bed the night before with an 80 y/o worn-out and sickly baody and mind with a renewed old body and the mind and spirit of a 30 y/o!!!!! And someday, maybe soon, I will experience another and even greater miracle when Jesus comes for me and escorts me to PARADISE!!! Christians are the most blessed people on the planet - if only they could understand what the bible REALLY says and what our Wonderful God does for His people!!

• Agree
Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
In 1922, when Smith Wiggleworth held meetings in Wellington NZ and people were healed, it was reported in the local newspaper because those healings were genuine and newsworthy.

A friend of mine loaned me a book on Smith CWiggleswoth. He said Wiggleswoth had a gift of healing, and after reading it I said I didn't
believe that was so as when he saw a woman in the street who had an ailment. he said "Come to the meeting this evening and you will be healed." If he had the gift of healing he would have healed her there. The healing meetings are just mass hypnosi

s.

We have a member of our church who was born with cerebral palsy. His parents who were pentecostals dragged him to every healing meeting there was. He never had any improvement and it turned him of that sect. When they moved to this area they attended a local charismatic church. The came to us as he said "We were starved of teaching there"

In my last home town a local charismatic church held two days of healing meetings, In an interview with the local newspaper, the pastor said that one person was healed of a headache. One of our members who attended said she had terrible nightmares after that meeting so didn't go to the second.

The pentecostal, tongues. prophecy, healing, movement is not new, it has occurred many times in history and has been involved in all sorts of all sort of force false teaching and false prophecies.

• Informative
Upvote 0