Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, yes, you believe the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows His handiwork, only it lies about what that handiwork was.
It doesn't lie, man does. Rather than man hearing and seeing the message it contains which is 'wow, God created us, aren't we splendid and awesome because He is'? -- man hears and sees the message 'doubt God created anything and imagine that all this is a freaky mess that was not created at all'

Well, I don't accept your idea that it lies. And I still say, your idea that it lies to us is contrary to scripture.
Man lies. That is scripture 101. God doesn't. That is Scripture as pure as it gets. He said He is the creator and even told us how He did it. Let God be true but every man a liar.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is false. We could see the movement of light away from Supernovae 1987a, and see it strike a ring of debris around the supernova.

SN1987A and the Age of the Universe

There was a 7 month lag between the supernova explosion and the illumnination of the rings around the supernova. This means that we measured the speed of light at the supernova by measuring the distance and time it took for light to move between the superonova and the rings of debris around it. All you need is simple trigonometry:

SN1987Atrig.gif

You need evidence, not made up fantasies that start with "perhaps".

So, is this to say that the speed of light at the supernova was calculated to be the same speed of light we have here on earth? And with that, how far away was this supernova?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, is this to say that the speed of light at the supernova was calculated to be the same speed of light we have here on earth? And with that, how far away was this supernova?
The way we calculate it involves seeing how much time it took to, for example go to the other side of the rings ir some such marker I think. The time we see something take here and the time something takes there can only matter if time in both places exists at all, and exists the same way. We also need to know the distances and that also involves time needing to be the same there. Ask someone to prove time is the same there as it is here and see what happens.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,273.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The way we calculate it involves seeing how much time it took to, for example go to the other side of the rings ir some such marker I think. The time we see something take here and the time something tkes there can only matter if time in both places exists at all, and exists the same way. We also need to know the distances and that also involves time needing to be the same there. Ask someone to prove time is the same there as it is here and see what happens.

You mean you don't even know HOW it is measured? You declare that it is wrong, but don't even know the basics of it? Priceless!

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The way we calculate it involves seeing how much time it took to, for example go to the other side of the rings ir some such marker I think. The time we see something take here and the time something tkes there can only matter if time in both places exists at all, and exists the same way. We also need to know the distances and that also involves time needing to be the same there. Ask someone to prove time is the same there as it is here and see what happens.

Well, I was doing some reading about this, and it is a measurement that is independent of time. The only time used in the calculation was time in which events were observed here on earth, which is normal time as we know it.

The functions used in the radial distance and its calculation was purely a function of distance determined using angles and lengths in a triangle, then correlated to time which we observe here on earth (normal time).

I think my real question isnt if the science is sound, because it makes perfect sense. Rather, I suppose my question is, where is the research paper that shows the mathematics used?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You mean you don't even know HOW it is measured? You declare that it is wrong, but don't even know the basics of it? Priceless!
I was keeping it simple. If anyone wants to talk nitty gritty start anytime. In the end we will see it amounts to the same thing. Been there done that.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I was doing some reading about this, and it is a measurement that is independent of time. The only time used in the calculation was time in which events were observed here on earth, which is normal time as we know it.
Do you think there is time in our solar system? Space and time? You see, they take a slice of that time, and space...together, and treat it as just space. The base line for any parallax measure includes time. Unless space and time were the same all the way to a star, the so called distance measured would have zero value.
The functions used in the radial distance and its calculation was purely a function of distance determined using angles and lengths in a triangle, then correlated to time which we observe here on earth (normal time).
No. Not purely distance. Time exists here and when we take, say, the space earth moves in the solar system in six months, that is a big base line, and it has to include time if time exists here.
I think my real question isnt if the science is sound, because it makes perfect sense. Rather, I suppose my question is, where is the research paper that shows the mathematics used?
When you find it, time will be involved.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No. Not purely distance. Time exists here and when we take, say, the space earth moves in the solar system in six months, that is a big base line, and it has to include time if time exists here.

"Time exists here...... If time exists here"

Really Dad, we all know that you make stuff up as you go along, but you are tripping over your own words now, and within a single paragraph.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think there is time in our solar system? Space and time? You see, they take a slice of that time, and space...together, and treat it as just space. The base line for any parallax measure includes time. Unless space and time were the same all the way to a star, the so called distance measured would have zero value.

If you have a triangle, and you have a base, hypotenuse and angle between the two, then recognizing the length of the opposing side of the triangle, can be done regardless of time. Which is all that was done in calculating distance between the supernova and its surrounding debris.

The only time involved was the handful of months that passed between when light from the supernova arrived and light from the debris arrived.

Given the simple equation of velocity=distance x time, we have the speed of light.

How fast or slow light travelled through space at a given time is irrelevant when you have your final result of when that light arrived. And there is no mathematical model that could change that, as it is based on simple and fundamental algebra.

Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you have a triangle, and you have a base, hypotenuse and angle between the two, then recognizing the length of the opposing side of the triangle, can be done regardless of time. Which is all that was done in calculating distance between the supernova and its surrounding debris.
Nothing can be done without time. We live in a world where time exists and exists a certain way in relation to space. When we take a swath of space, that is taking time and space..unless you claim they exist independently of each other?
The only time involved was the handful of months that passed between when light from the supernova arrived and light from the debris arrived.
There is that also. But time exists with space! If we took the solar system, for example and held it in our hands if we could we would be holding time and space, not just space. Now when we take a slice of that space and time and represent that slice with a line, the line does not just represent space. We cannot draw a line to the stars and expect all the time and space between will equal the slice from our solar system! Not unless we have some reason, some prrof, some evidence. We don't. If you or anyone else thinks we do..post it!
Given the simple equation of velocity=distance x time, we have the speed of light.
Velocity involves time! Distance involves time..at least distances here in our solar system. And time involves time. In all ways time is involved.
How fast or slow light travelled through space at a given time is irrelevant when you have your final result of when that light arrived.

No. How fast anything happens here depends on what time is like here. We observe the move,ent in time but we can't see time. Science doesn't even know what it is.
And there is no mathematical model that could change that, as it is based on simple and fundamental algebra.

It is not a matter of changing math, it is a matter of knowing what the numbers mean and represent.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Time exists here...... If time exists here"

Really Dad, we all know that you make stuff up as you go along, but you are tripping over your own words now, and within a single paragraph.

The quote was

" it has to include time if time exists here." (another way to say this is "it has to include time because time exists here")

That refers to the obvious, that time exists here. Unless you do not think time exists here?

The issue is whether time also exists where stars are, and exists the same.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The quote was

" it has to include time if time exists here." (another way to say this is "it has to include time because time exists here")

That refers to the obvious, that time exists here. Unless you do not think time exists here?

The issue is whether time also exists where stars are, and exists the same.

The word "if" introduces a conditional clause, so what is conditional about time existing here, when you have already stated it to be a fact that it exists here?

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing can be done without time. We live in a world where time exists and exists a certain way in relation to space. When we take a swath of space, that is taking time and space..unless you claim they exist independently of each other?
There is that also. But time exists with space! If we took the solar system, for example and held it in our hands if we could we would be holding time and space, not just space. Now when we take a slice of that space and time and represent that slice with a line, the line does not just represent space. We cannot draw a line to the stars and expect all the time and space between will equal the slice from our solar system! Not unless we have some reason, some prrof, some evidence. We don't. If you or anyone else thinks we do..post it!
Velocity involves time! Distance involves time..at least distances here in our solar system. And time involves time. In all ways time is involved.

No. How fast anything happens here depends on what time is like here. We observe the move,ent in time but we can't see time. Science doesn't even know what it is.

It is not a matter of changing math, it is a matter of knowing what the numbers mean and represent.

ok, so when using algebra to calculate the third side of a triangle, the triangle exists in space, and therefore time.

So, if hypothetically, I have a triangle and I know the length of two sides, in relation to objects in space, what is your proposal for why we cannot know length of the third side ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ok, so when using algebra to calculate the third side of a triangle, the triangle exists in space, and therefore time.
False. The triangle exists in a computer or paper. Not in actual deep space, except by imagination. t represents time as well as space so we NEED time to exist where the star is also, or the imaginary line cannot and does not equate into distance. Parallax is dead.
So, if hypothetically, I have a triangle and I know the length of two sides, in relation to objects in space, what is your proposal for why we cannot know length of the third side ?
That depends in what space and where and if time exists in or with that space as it does here. You don't know that to be the case for deep space.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That depends in what space and where and if time exists in or with that space as it does here. You don't know that to be the case for deep space.

Ok, point A on a triangle is the planets location in reference to the sun during winter. Point B is the planets location in reference to the sun during summer. Do you believe this distance (between point A and B) is known or unknown?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, point A on a triangle is the planets location in reference to the sun during winter. Point B is the planets location in reference to the sun during summer. Do you believe this distance (between point A and B) is known or unknown?
The distance includes space and space includes time. You cannot separate time from the solar system, it is part of it. Now, prove time is a part of the space around stars and that time is the very same also as here?

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The distance includes space and space includes time. You cannot separate time from the solar system, it is part of it. Now, prove time is a part of the space around stars and that time is the very same also as here?

All I did was ask,

"Ok, point A on a triangle is the planets location in reference to the sun during winter. Point B is the planets location in reference to the sun during summer. Do you believe this distance (between point A and B) is known or unknown?"

Its a simple question. Do you think such a distance is known or unknown?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All I did was ask,

"Ok, point A on a triangle is the planets location in reference to the sun during winter. Point B is the planets location in reference to the sun during summer. Do you believe this distance (between point A and B) is known or unknown?"

Its a simple question. Do you think such a distance is known or unknown?
We know that time is like and that it exists here. So here where it exists, of course we can get distances.

Upvote 0