Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Parallax measurements depend on time. They depend on time either existing, or existing the same as it exists on and near earth deep out in space. Unless time were the same, a year is not a year out there, therefore a lightyear is not a light year.

parallax.jpg

In fact, the stars were created to help us mark time, and so it is reasonable to speculate that the galaxies may be like giant sprockets in God's great time machine of the universe, that sets the time for earth! Therefore, of course it would determine the time/space here, and consequently the laws, that are dependent on time.
Hows that for some real science?

If we want to use miles or some distance rather than lightyears, that is OK, but the method is only good to about 326 'light years' away. For the sake of illustration we can grab a number in a what if scenario for the difference in time where the star is. Let's say for example that time exists at the star in a way that works out to about 1/7 of what time is here near earth. That would mean that if the star was 280 light years away, it would be something like 40 years away in actual time. Now if time didn't really exist as we know it where the star is, then all bets are off as to how long light would take to reach earth. We don't need to speed light up, simply change the time involved in getting here!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ygrene Imref

SteveNZ

Adventurer for my King
Oct 24, 2011
Nelson New Zealand
✟8,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do they depend on time?

Seems to me they depend on straight lines...
Believe me as a surveyor who completed geodetic astronomy. *Before GPS.
The assumption that what we observe is a straight line is pretty weak. The movement of a stars position is accepted. ie we pretend the star has moved whereas it could be any reason Such as bending rays or even some time issue.

Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do they depend on time?

Seems to me they depend on straight lines...
Straight lines that cannot be translated into time such as light YEARS! Not unless you prove time exists out there and exists the same as here. This is funny. Boy are you guys hooped!

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believe me as a surveyor who completed geodetic astronomy. *Before GPS.
The assumption that what we observe is a straight line is pretty weak. The movement of a stars position is accepted. ie we pretend the star has moved whereas it could be any reason Such as bending rays or even some time issue.
Right. But regardless of where we move in relation to the star or visa verso, unless time existed where the star was, it would not matter for distances determined in time...like light years!

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Straight lines that cannot be translated into time such as light YEARS! Not unless you prove time exists out there and exists the same as here. This is funny. Boy are you guys hooped!

A light YEAR is a measure of distance, not time. WE can redo wvery thing in Parsecs if it will make you happy.

Doh!

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
On what evidence should we base the assumption that time moves differently away from earth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Right. But regardless of where we move in relation to the star or visa verso, unless time existed where the star was, it would not matter for distances determined in time...like light years!
How could a star exist without time? A star's existence is dependent on the burning of fuel over time.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A light YEAR is a measure of distance, not time. WE can redo wvery thing in Parsecs if it will make you happy.

Doh!

False. A light year is a measure of how far light would travel in a year. That means time. Totally. If time didn't exist as it does here a few light years away, then one could not claim light would take a year to get here...regardless of how many miles away it is!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How could a star exist without time? A star's existence is dependent on the burning of fuel over time.
Ha. In your version of the universe maybe. If distances are not known, (and they wouldn't be if time was not the same) that means size is not known either of course. That means a star could be tiny. If a star was room sized, for example, I doubt that they would have came up with the stellar evolution nonsense that they did. Once we knock out time all else falls by the wayside for science!

This is fun.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

SO once again you are resorting to your old trick of "You can't prove me wrong, so I'm probably right!"

Learn a new song, dad, this one's getting old...

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Ha. In your version of the universe maybe. If distances are not known, (and they wouldn't be if time was not the same) that means size is not known either of course. That means a star could be tiny. If a star was room sized, for example, I doubt that they would have came up with the stellar evolution nonsense that they did. Once we knock out time all else falls by the wayside for science!

This is fun.
:doh:You really don't have a clue, do you? Nothing you said addresses my comment. Neither a star nor any other energy source can exist without time. Energy is produced by the transformation of matter over time.

Nor can motion exist without time. If you remove time then you can't move.

This stuff about stars being room-sized is just idiotic.If that were the case then all the stars we see would have to be withing a few thousand miles of earth.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Hey, why not! Since science has no clue, it is anyone's guess.
Science most definitely has clues as well as evidence, experiments, results, peer review, and self-correction. You on the other hand, have none of these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

We can observe from the spectra of the star itself that time exists, as well as the same physical laws that are here on Earth. The emission and absorbance lines in starlight are determined by the very same laws found here on Earth.

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
False. A light year is a measure of how far light would travel in a year. That means time. Totally. If time didn't exist as it does here a few light years away, then one could not claim light would take a year to get here...regardless of how many miles away it is!

It's just a distance. That's all.

Do you reject measuring anything in metres? After all, a metre is defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in one 299,792,458th of a second.

Upvote 0
D

DerelictJunction

bolding mine.

Distance is a measurement of "how far" one point is from another.

Parallax measurements don't need the time of light travel in order to measure the distance of the top of a tower from an observer on the ground. In the same way parallax measurements of star distances don't need the time of light travel either.

At this point, I have to wonder about your capacity to understand simple physical concepts.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Parallax measurements depend on time.

Actually, they don't -- they depend on simple geometry.

So you're wrong right out of the gate.

Upvote 0