Why are Catholics and Orthodox treated differently by protestants?

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. It wasn't until almost a thousand years that the Catholic church became similar to what you may know it as. And barely even that.

His main contribution was that he realized that Christians must cease being persecuted, but once he started befriending Christians, he realized they were also embroiled in a dispute of their own. The priest Arius had recently just popped up, teaching a new doctrine that Jesus was more created being than divine, and was against the Trinity. This was about to tear the church apart. Constantine, being a new believer, knew nothing of the details, but could see it wasn't a good situation. So he called all of the bishops of the day to convene and settle the matter. All he did was call a Council. That's hardly a "pope". He didn't even have very strong views about it. He just wanted them to settle this dispute and stop fighting. And he barely accomplished this. He didn't create some "one world religion" or unify much of anything. His own son turned out to be more Arian friendly, and undid a lot of his father's work. It took hundreds of years and a lot of see-sawing in church leadership until we finally got a lot of important matters settled on scripture canon, the nature of Christ, Trinity, etc..

All this guy did was help people stop getting killed, and thought the church's infighting was unseemly. He lent his power to put an end to some of it. That's it! All in all, it's actually pretty boring, and not the big conspiracy-fest that it's in B-quality Evangelical documentaries like "Wheat and Tares".
See thank you THIS is useful in helping me

• Friendly
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm afraid you're going to confuse him. Just mentioning the bishop of Rome circa 400 AD will make him think "Pope" again...even though he was far from that too.

edit: I mean, the good men of that office were hardly authoritarian, as they later became associated with.
glad you know all men

I seek truth I hold nothing before truth

However NOT giving me the information I NEED to see the truth how do you expect me to know??

Simply writing me off and not helping me is turning your back on me when I seek truth

I had a misunderstanding that has been brought to light in speaking to Matt

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Gladly my friend

I believe the Word of God was made flesh and sent to earth

He told us important information that set things straight

He laid down His life for us He took our punishment

To believe in Christ is to be born again

One can not see the kingdom of God unless they are born again

We are all sinners and deserve hell but God is the most merciful indeed

i believe baptism should be a decision made by the person and shouldn't be made for them as in infant baptism

I believe the Bible as the inspired Word of God

Christ is litteraly the Word of God thus His Word is completely true

You can not get to heaven by works

Faith leads you to do good works

We should NOT practice circumcision as Paul who was Saul pointed out we are not under the law rather by being in Christ we astabish the law and need not flesh circumcision

There is one God

The one God sent first His Word then at the Word acceding to heaven and sitting at the right hand of God

God sent His Spirit (Holy Ghost) to be the Comforter for believers

To be persecuted or/and killed for Christs sake would be a honour

No need to fear death for this world is evil and in heaven is no evil why would anyone want to stay on earth longer then they have to

Christ told us to share the good news of the Gospel and it is our duty to do so

Christ is the head of the true church which is all true believers

Do not fear rebuke rather encurage it for its better to find out you error and get in line with truth then be in error

There is no way to heaven except through Christ

I hold that we are to love one another as Christ loves us

To be a leader one must be a servant the more you wish to lead the more of a servant you must be

Christ is to be loved above all including ones self and ones physical family

Mans traditions mean nothing To me because God is Spirit and God is to be worshipped in Spirit

I don't believe Christians should be political due to the fact we are just pilgrums on earth heading to our home in heaven so the politics of earth I see no point in
I see, but you didn't answer my question so I'll ask one more time; Which faith community are you a part of?

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see, but you didn't answer my question so I'll ask one more time; Which faith community are you a part of?
I have yet to find a institution which lines up Biblically or that can ease my worries about what I see them do thus I am not a part of one

I tried many different institutions I seen things that looked contrary to the teachings of the Bible

I asked those in charge why

They could give me no anwser

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a big reason I came to this website

If those around me are unable to tell me why what they do seems contrary to the Bible

And they can't tell me why what they do is in fact correct

Then this is huge red flag

You shouldn't do things just because man told you this is how its done because this is how we always done it

the Word of God litteraly came to earth did he not reveal all we NEED to know?

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything I know Biblically I know from studying the Bible myself as no one around me that I found wished to study from anything but protestant or catholic prospective

I study because I seek to know the truth nothing more

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
glad you know all men

I seek truth I hold nothing before truth

However NOT giving me the information I NEED to see the truth how do you expect me to know??

Simply writing me off and not helping me is turning your back on me when I seek truth

I had a misunderstanding that has been brought to light in speaking to Matt

That was a lighthearted comment to ArmyMatt, about even mentioning Rome could be dangerous. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to write you off.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
the Word of God litteraly came to earth did he not reveal all we NEED to know?
The answer to that question depends on what you mean by "ALL". We do know that Christ reveals the Father. We also know that the Old Testament reveals all one needs to know for salvation. However, I don't think one can say that one can learn ALL one needs to know from scripture, Old and New, alone. In fact, that isn't even scriptural. Which leads to:

Everything I know Biblically I know from studying the Bible myself.. I study because I seek to know the truth nothing more
I certainly respect that kind of zeal. It's very important that it is kept.
However, it should be tempered by knowing that one can't learn what all the scriptures mean all by themselves.
In Acts chapter 8 there's a story of a man who was reading the scriptures alone and we have the following exchange, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”
We all need guidance on our spiritual journey.

As mentioned in my first post in this thread; I grew up in an Independent, Fundamental, KJV Bible ONLY church that was about as anti-Catholic as one can ever be. Jack Chick tracts were my "comic books" when I was a middle schooler.
My journey to Orthodoxy began in that church.
It took me 40+ years to finally come home to the Church began by Christ and His Apostles. The church that the book of Acts records the beginnings of. The one that the NT epistles were written to. The one that assembled the oral tradition of Christ on earth into the four Gospels. I can think of no better place to take guidance from.
I hope and pray that some day you find your way home as well.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I say things many believe im being a jerk

I'm not trying to come off this way I'm speaking to my understanding and hoping if I error someone would be kind enough to correct me

Also you must understand before you mentioned the book that references Constantine I never knew of this as I stated before i know baccicly nothing on orthodox and when you didn't immediately counter my link with your information I had nothing to go on but what I already thought I knew I believe discussion should go like this

one person provides their information if the other disagrees they provided theirs and from this the truth can be known

otherwise the one in error is lost in their error until the new information is provided

I am on here to seek the truth nothing more I have no imagination that I know everything nor am above error

I can not know what I don't know without being shown what I don't know

you're not a jerk at all. that was a comment on the weakness of the link. I would say, start with the actual history from that time period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jack Chick tracts were my "comic books" when I was a middle schooler.

Sidenote: I don't know why Orthodox (or Catholics with their own styles, for that matter) don't make their own comic books.

I know it's not forbidden to use sacred icon styles at least. I once saw an Orthodox Children's bible that used art inspired from icons. It was nice. Wouldn't be awesome to see a bonafide "graphic novel" like this of the whole scriptures that could be enjoyed by both young and old?

edit: Speaking of that, the proclivity for Protestants to use any medium to teach or spread the basic message of the Gospel has to be admired.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was a lighthearted comment to ArmyMatt, about even mentioning Rome could be dangerous. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to write you off.
All is well my friend!

I can understand now how you could feel that

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to that question depends on what you mean by "ALL". We do know that Christ reveals the Father. We also know that the Old Testament reveals all one needs to know for salvation. However, I don't think one can say that one can learn ALL one needs to know from scripture, Old and New, alone. In fact, that isn't even scriptural. Which leads to:

However, it should be tempered by knowing that one can't learn what all the scriptures mean all by themselves.
In Acts chapter 8 there's a story of a man who was reading the scriptures alone and we have the following exchange, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”

As mentioned in my first post in this thread; I grew up in an Independent, Fundamental, KJV Bible ONLY church that was about as anti-Catholic as one can ever be. Jack Chick tracts were my "comic books" when I was a middle schooler.
It took me 40+ years to finally come home to the Church began by Christ and His Apostles. The church that the book of Acts records the beginnings of. The one that the NT epistles were written to. The one that assembled the oral tradition of Christ on earth into the four Gospels. I can think of no better place to take guidance from.
I can wholeheartedly understand your point this is my hurtles though perhaps you all can help me with them?

The Ethiopian in the book of Acts that Phillip met

If memory serves me correctly the Ethiopian knew what the passage was saying his question to Phillp was dose he speak of himself or another

To this Phillip tells him of Ch

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christ the Ethiopian believed and was baptized

As for OT I believe Christ said

Search the Scriptures for in them you believe you have eternal life it is the Scriptures that testify of Me

Also its my understanding to follow the law is to not follow Christ HOWEVER to follow Christ is to adstablish the law EXCEPT you are not under the curse because you are in Christ not under law

When I say "all" I mean this

Christ made it plain and simple

Those who believe in Christ believe His Word and thus are saved

For believe ing Christ we put ourselves to death

We are born again in Christ not of flesh and blood but of spirit

In this is all one NEEDS to know to get to heaven and isn't that all we strive for to be home with our Lord free from the evils of earth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sidenote: I don't know why Orthodox (or Catholics with their own styles, for that matter) don't make their own comic books.

I know it's not forbidden to use sacred icon styles at least. I once saw an Orthodox Children's bible that used art inspired from icons. It was nice. Wouldn't be awesome to see a bonafide "graphic novel" like this of the whole scriptures that could be enjoyed by both young and old?

edit: Speaking of that, the proclivity for Protestants to use any medium to teach or spread the basic message of the Gospel has to be admired.
Our parish has a few "Liturgy for Children" books that use icons and imagery to help to follow along in the service. At some point, as a catechumen, I picked one up to follow along in the service and found it beneficial even as an adult.
However, I think your point is one worthy of looking at. The children's Sunday School in our parish did a "living icon" based on the Icon of the Nativity as a Christmas play this year. The depth in that one image is surprising, I learned a couple of tidbits from the kids that I'd never noticed before in the Icon/story.
Maybe there's a reason that I'm unaware of, but yeah, it would be an interesting endeavor. Or..maybe it exists already and just needs better promotion. ;)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So basically we look weird, therefore we're evil.
I was totally in awe the first time I walked into an Orthodox Church. I was by myself and had no idea what to expect. The smell of incense, no pews, the chanting not to mention the visual imagery. People lighting candles and praying in front of icons. I just stood there taking it in trying not to do something stupid:)

Attachments

• 9AED9D0C-7238-4FB4-9BC9-0BF943885741.jpeg
    9AED9D0C-7238-4FB4-9BC9-0BF943885741.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was totally in awe the first time I walked into an Orthodox Church. I was by myself and had no idea what to expect. The smell of incense, no pews, the chanting not to mention the visual imagery. People lighting candles and praying in front of icons. I just stood there taking it in trying not to do something stupid:)
Old English font for the Orthodox and comic sans for protestants... is there a take-away there? :)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Old English font for the Orthodox and comic sans for protestants... is there a take-away there? :)
I just assumed whoever created the meme was using a more stylistic font for the Orthodox compared to a more common font for Protestants which I think is consistent not only in how they each adorn their sanctuaries but down to their respective clergy's attire.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

There is a YouTube Channel called "Bible Illustrated," where Orthodox perspectives (and opinions of this individual) are explained through almost iconographic imagery.

Channel:
Bible Illustrated

Here's a video:

Upvote 0