Why are Catholics and Orthodox treated differently by protestants?

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally if I’m persecuted I just walk away but if I’m attacked or my life is threatened I’ll defend myself.
Sorry just want to understand fully

When you say attacked or life threatened do you mean by crazy madman who just wants to hurt anyone and everyone thus it has nothing to do with your belief in Christ to this I would agree. For this is not the same to me at least as

if someone says deny Christ or die you will fight against them physically

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As for my original post I was anwser ing the OP as for after I errored on Constantine I simply am stating what I understand and trying to see if orthadox belief s line up and if not trying to see why for it is possible I error again and am seeking truth
You're asking questions, which is fine. Just be aware that some of those answering are not Eastern Orthodox and their answers do not represent our faith.

• Useful
Reactions: Gregory95
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
NB: I haven't read the entire thread (only the OP and this page), and I'm Oriental Orthodox, not Eastern Orthodox.

But I was Roman Catholic before converting, and when I was still in the RC people there often joked about an "ABC Christian" mentality among some Protestants -- "Anything But Catholic". I would imagine the same follows the Eastern Orthodox (my own communion is usually either not included/known, or is included by default) due to ignorance which focuses on external similarities only -- "these people dress up and wear funny hats and maybe even chant in a language I don't understand...sounds Catholic-ish to me!"

Basically, everything's the same if you're already convinced that it is, so it's not about the actual beliefs, but about what seems to be the case to the outsider. Sadly, even getting them to liturgy might not help, depending on the type of person you're dealing with (though it's still worth it to try, I think, because sometimes repeated exposure will cause something to click), because it could just confirm that "Yes, these people are weird and it looks, smells, and sounds like I thought it would; mission accomplished -- I found the Rome-ish pagans!"

God forbid you tell them you actually do have a Pope, as I believe you guys also honor your Alexandrian Patriarch with that title (please correct me if I'm wrong about that; if I recall correctly, I read that on this very board). Then you'd have to get into early Alexandrian Christian history, and maybe even talk about the Patriarch of Alexandria as the "Judge of the Universe" (my favorite title for any bishop, by far) and things like that, all to explain how and why the Pope of Alexandria is not akin to the Pope of Rome in his claims to authority, theology, etc. Fun times, surely. I know I never tire of that, as a Coptic Orthodox person. :D:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well on what he said about needing a human to guide us in the Bible then he gave the account of Acts but as I stated in my post after the Ethiopian knew what it was saying and asked Phillip if Isaiah was speaking of himself or another

Then about the Word of God didn't tell us all we NEEDED to know

Then my post in response
I think the premise of both of your questions come from a troublesome prerequisite.
That is; I can learn everything I need to know all by myself.
Just me and Jesus, or in your case, just me and my Bible and I can learn it all.

Can you become a follower of Christ just by reading the Bible? Well yes. Will you be able to complete the race, as the Apostle Paul said, by just reading scripture and leaning on your own understanding of it? That's a whole different premise.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well on what he said about needing a human to guide us in the Bible then he gave the account of Acts but as I stated in my post after the Ethiopian knew what it was saying and asked Phillip if Isaiah was speaking of himself or another

Then about the Word of God didn't tell us all we NEEDED to know

Then my post in response

so the Eunuch didn't know what it was saying

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
NB: I haven't read the entire thread (only the OP and this page), and I'm Oriental Orthodox, not Eastern Orthodox.

But I was Roman Catholic before converting, and when I was still in the RC people there often joked about an "ABC Christian" mentality among some Protestants -- "Anything But Catholic". I would imagine the same follows the Eastern Orthodox (my own communion is usually either not included/known, or is included by default) due to ignorance which focuses on external similarities only -- "these people dress up and wear funny hats and maybe even chant in a language I don't understand...sounds Catholic-ish to me!"

Basically, everything's the same if you're already convinced that it is, so it's not about the actual beliefs, but about what seems to be the case to the outsider. Sadly, even getting them to liturgy might not help, depending on the type of person you're dealing with (though it's still worth it to try, I think, because sometimes repeated exposure will cause something to click), because it could just confirm that "Yes, these people are weird and it looks, smells, and sounds like I thought it would; mission accomplished -- I found the Rome-ish pagans!"

God forbid you tell them you actually do have a Pope, as I believe you guys also honor your Alexandrian Patriarch with that title (please correct me if I'm wrong about that; if I recall correctly, I read that on this very board). Then you'd have to get into early Alexandrian Christian history, and maybe even talk about the Patriarch of Alexandria as the "Judge of the Universe" (my favorite title for any bishop, by far) and things like that, all to explain how and why the Pope of Alexandria is not akin to the Pope of Rome in his claims to authority, theology, etc. Fun times, surely. I know I never tire of that, as a Coptic Orthodox person. :D:rolleyes:

yes, his title is the Pope and Patriarch of All Africa, and Alexandria had the title of Pope for centuries before Rome.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the premise of both of your questions come from a troublesome prerequisite.
Just me and Jesus, or in your case, just me and my Bible and I can learn it all.

Can you become a follower of Christ just by reading the Bible? Well yes. Will you be able to complete the race, as the Apostle Paul said, by just reading scripture and leaning on your own understanding of it? That's a whole different premise.

This is confusing to me as Christ the Word of God said when asked who can be saved

Matt 19:26

Then there is Romans 10:9

Etc etc I'm no saying there is no more to learn rather

To get to heaven and be with the Lord

The Word of God told us all we need to do not necessarily all we should do but the need

Right?

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He read the passage and understood it ether spoke of the writter or another (as not many knew of Christ yet)

To which Phillip fold him of Christ the man was baptized then went on his way after Phillip was taken away

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Am I misunderstanding your words?

Because the Word of God seems quite clear to me here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess thiebwould be a simpler way to say it

The Eunuch only lacked context his situation in most cases wouldn't apply to now due to if he was here now he would of been reading complete books not small parts and odds are he would know who Christ is

Right?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He read the passage and understood it ether spoke of the writter or another (as not many knew of Christ yet)

To which Phillip fold him of Christ the man was baptized then went on his way after Phillip was taken away

correct, so St Philip had to explain it. I don't see the issue here.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess thiebwould be a simpler way to say it

The Eunuch only lacked context his situation in most cases wouldn't apply to now due to if he was here now he would of been reading complete books not small parts and odds are he would know who Christ is

Right?

not necessarily. a lot of people who have read the Bible don't know who Christ is, even well meaning people.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those in the ancient world (Israeli Jews, Ethiopian Jews) still have their minds closed on who the Suffering Servant of Isaiah is. They have such a strong image of a Davidic king who conquers the world that this passage dumbfounds them.

-

Although in some circles, at least parts of Judaism teaches that there are actually two Messiahs. Not just the conquering Messiah ben David. But also a Messiah ben Joseph who precedes him.

Messiah ben Joseph - Wikipedia

Messiah ben Joseph, like Joseph the son of Jacob, is meant to suffer and is the Suffering Servant in Isaiah. Once he was killed, Messiah ben David appears and takes vengeance for his death and destroys Messiah ben Joseph's enemies, and then establishes his kingdom.

They don't see that Messiah ben Joseph and ben David are actually one and the same. And Messiah ben David DID come back and take vengeance on his enemies. He is the risen Christ, and the temple was destroyed just as he said, and Israel stripped of their inheritance, just as he did. "Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place." They were the very murderers of Messiah ben Joseph, and even according to their own teachings, deserved destruction.

And to this day, like Judah and his brothers, they do not recognize the face of their brother Joseph, who saves the world from Famine and is a king over them. And they won't know until he feels it's appropriate.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting thread. I was asking someone the other day why Catholics seem to be against other beliefs. I was shunned when I ended up in a Catholic forum by accident. I was totally surprised at the attitude. I have seen that attitude elsewhere also. We are all Gods children no matter our different beliefs. God loves us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Back to the original question (if I understand it) ... I'm sure it's not just a single reason.

But what I've witnessed (and been affected by myself) is that particular slice of Protestantism that has been taught ta great deal of misinformation about history, about what Catholics supposedly believe and do, and so on - and generally taught that at best, Catholics are misguided and "not really Christian". I've even seen some very poorly catechized former Catholics who become Protestant and buy into the whole thing themselves! (Though admittedly they may come from poorly catechized parents who might be among the ones who do go overboard in their devotion to the Virgin Mary or something along those lines, so they are not likely to disagree with their own experiences).

The likes of Jack Chick and his tracts, and the psuedo-history of Hislop and those who followed along after him certainly haven't helped. We see the fake history quoted repeatedly around here and are due for another round soon on "Easter".

And when that mindset is combined with a very surface visual encounter with Orthodoxy, the Protestant in question is unlikely to see a difference between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (and sadly may be resistant to hearing about it if his mind is already made up). I've encountered that in my own home and family.

It's not surprising they react that way really, given what they've been taught. Even some very educated and influential Protestant teachers are guilty of perpetuating the misinformation.

I think it's very telling that Lutherans, for example, who have perhaps a historic reason to be upset with Catholics - or Orthodox who have even more reason - don't vilify Catholicism the way newer Protestants often do. It's really a lack of understanding of historic Christianity more than anything else, and if that's combined with an unwillingness to learn the actual truth, it can be a long-lasting problem.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s actu an ELO board dedicated to Jeff Lynne and Richard Tandy. You can speak freely here, Mr. Blue Sky.

Thank you, Father Matt. I thought so, but had a second of doubt and didn't want to speak out of turn on the EO board.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's very telling that Lutherans, for example, who have perhaps a historic reason to be upset with Catholics - or Orthodox who have even more reason - don't vilify Catholicism the way newer Protestants often do. It's really a lack of understanding of historic Christianity more than anything else, and if that's combined with an unwillingness to learn the actual truth, it can be a long-lasting problem.

This is mostly how I see it. I'm not sure we are particularly upset with the Catholics about the Reformation, we certainly have no reason to bear a grudge and we have our own established spiritual patrimony, making us secure in our self-understanding. The current Pope has good relationships with all sorts of Lutherans, and our two churches have reached more consensus on soteriology.

Also, English speaking peoples had alot of more anti-Catholic propaganda, it was part of their nationalism for centuries, and this just didn't exist in Germany or Scandinavian countries to the same extent.

Upvote 0

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have yet to find a institution which lines up Biblically or that can ease my worries about what I see them do thus I am not a part of one

I tried many different institutions I seen things that looked contrary to the teachings of the Bible

I asked those in charge why

They could give me no anwser
I recommend investigating the history of Christianity from reliable, non-conspiracy theory, sources. I find the Orthodox views on the New Testament to be far superior to the protestant ones I grew up with. Of course it is difficult for some people to put aside the biases they've been exposed to.
Determining if Sola Scripture is something you want to believe in is a good first step. You have shown signs of believing Sola Scripture.

Upvote 0