Where in scripture does it say to repent of your sins to get saved?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It really confuses me why a lot of people say "repent of your sins" in order to get saved. I can't find anywhere in scripture where it says this. We should repent of our sins after we get saved as a sanctification process and to grow in Christ. And of course we should confess our sins to him, do good works, and all that, also part of our walk in him after we are saved and sealed, part of sanctification and the result of salvation. But everywhere in scripture, all I see is Jesus saying "repent". I never see anywhere "repent of your sins" when he preaches the gospel to them to save them. I am not making this thread as a debate or argument, I am generally curious if I am missing something here because I'm confused why so many street preachers and teachers say "repent of your sins" when preaching the gospel because I just don't see this in scripture, I always want to follow scripture and not man's traditions. If someone wants to challenge me on this or show me somewhere in the new testament where it says this please do so.

Acts 3:19

English Standard Version
Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Strongs

Repent - Greek
Strong's Concordance
metanoeó: to change one's mind or purpose
Original Word: μετανοέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: metanoeó
Phonetic Spelling: (met-an-o-eh'-o)
Definition: to change one's mind or purpose
Usage: I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.

Strong's Greek: 3340. μετανοέω (metanoeó) -- to change one's mind or purpose

“But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” - Luke 13:3 (NIV)

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for replying. I did not attack, use sarcasm, or deny your testimony (which sounds awesome). Still, your testimony is NOT conclusive, that is just a fact. Only Scripture is conclusive.

I missed the Acts 2 reference in earlier posts. It still begs the question re: "Where in scripture does it say to repent of your sins to get saved?".

Regardless. I'm glad you ARE saved and are walking in Truth! Be blessed today!

Read #71. It shows that we must be born again to be saved, and to be born again, we must REPENT. I had believed in Jesus all my life, but not until I repented (that obeyed scripture) did I receive the Holy Spirit. Paul said in Romans 8:9 if we don't have the Spirit of Christ we don't belong to Jesus. IOW, we are not saved. That is not just for Jews, but for everyone. Teaching that Gentiles (most of us) don't need to repent from sin is a doctrine of demons. A doctrine of demons is any false teaching that will lead you to hell. That is not the only false teaching in the church, but you can always tell because they will have something in them to justify our remaining in sin. Of course, there are false religions as well, but I'm talking about in the Church. Knowledge of Jesus is not enough, as even the demons believe and tremble. Unfortunately, there will be many who can never accept that the doctrine they grew up with is false. They will forever believe to their doom that the sins they willfully commit are covered and forgiven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I gave scripture he wouldn't accept, and it appears, neither do you. He claims Gentiles don't have to REPENT to be saved. My life is a confirmation that you do. "Repent...and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Acts 2:38 (That's scripture by the way, in multiple posts, pardon the sarcasm, but you attacked)

Acts 2:38 was said among Jews only. Peter was addressing in a Jewish festival, Pentecost, and he deliberately addressed the "Men of Israel" only.

You should be using scripture directed to the Gentiles instead, if you want to establish church doctrine. This is called "rightly dividing the Word of Truth".

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Acts 2:38 was said among Jews only. Peter was addressing in a Jewish festival, Pentecost, and he deliberately addressed the "Men of Israel" only.

You should be using scripture directed to the Gentiles instead, if you want to establish church doctrine. This is called "rightly dividing the Word of Truth".

So what do you think a Gentile should do about sin?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what do you think a Gentile should do about sin?

Let's look at how Paul handle what was probably the most carnal church under the grace dispensation, The Corinth Church, 1 Cor. They were suing one another, getting drunk at the Holy Communion, sleeping with temple prostitutes and so on and so forth.

At no point did he ever said anything about "Repent of your sins!" Instead he reminded them of who they are (and still are!) in Christ. Some examples

1 Cor 3
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

1 Cor 6
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

And to top it all of, Paul even reminded them way down in 1 Cor 15 that all of them will be eligible to be raptured, despite the works of the flesh they are committing now.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

What should a Gentile do about sin? My lesson from the Apostle Paul is this: Declare out with his mouth that "I am the righteousness of God in Christ", and let it be a reminder that he is dead to sin (as a noun), and renew his mind to that truth always.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's look at how Paul handle what was probably the most carnal church under the grace dispensation, The Corinth Church, 1 Cor. They were suing one another, getting drunk at the Holy Communion, sleeping with temple prostitutes and so on and so forth.

At no point did he ever said anything about "Repent of your sins!" Instead he reminded them of who they are (and still are!) in Christ. Some examples

1 Cor 3
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

1 Cor 6
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

And to top it all of, Paul even reminded them way down in 1 Cor 15 that all of them will be eligible to be raptured, despite the works of the flesh they are committing now.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

What should a Gentile do about sin? My lesson from the Apostle Paul is this: Declare out with his mouth that "I am the righteousness of God in Christ", and let it be a reminder that he is dead to sin (as a noun), and renew his mind to that truth always.

Paul wrote a pretty scathing letter to them pointing out what they were doing wrong, but look at the response in the second letter.

2 Corinthians 7:
8 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. 9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Can you repeat for me what two things their godly sorrow produced and lead to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul wrote a pretty scathing letter to them pointing out what they were doing wrong, but look at the response in the second letter.

2 Corinthians 7:
8 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. 9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Strange passage that you are using as a proof text for your point.

Are you saying that he did not regard them as saved in 1 cor in the midst of those works of the flesh that they were committing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Strange passage that you are using as a proof text for your point.

Are you saying that he did not regard them as saved in 1 cor in the midst of those works of the flesh that they were committing?

Exactly.

2 Peter 2
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

Fortunately, they truly repented.

It is interesting that they still had the gifts of the Spirit, but as Romans 11 says, the gifts of God are without repentance. In other words, He doesn't take them back. That is why Matthew 7 shows those who started out believers, but fell back into willful sin.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Read 2 Peter 2 about false teachers. You may want to rethink repentance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly.

2 Peter 2
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

Fortunately, they truly repented.

It is interesting that they still had the gifts of the Spirit, but as Romans 11 says, the gifts of God are without repentance. In other words, He doesn't take them back. That is why Matthew 7 shows those who started out believers, but fell back into willful sin.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Read 2 Peter 2 about false teachers. You may want to rethink repentance.

So even though the passages I used from 1 Cor clearly show Paul using the present tense to describe them, "is" and "are", of God, you still want to insist otherwise, Paul regarded them as unsaved?

Okay, I can see that nothing else will change your mind here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It really confuses me why a lot of people say "repent of your sins" in order to get saved. I can't find anywhere in scripture where it says this. We should repent of our sins after we get saved as a sanctification process and to grow in Christ. And of course we should confess our sins to him, do good works, and all that, also part of our walk in him after we are saved and sealed, part of sanctification and the result of salvation. But everywhere in scripture, all I see is Jesus saying "repent". I never see anywhere "repent of your sins" when he preaches the gospel to them to save them. I am not making this thread as a debate or argument, I am generally curious if I am missing something here because I'm confused why so many street preachers and teachers say "repent of your sins" when preaching the gospel because I just don't see this in scripture, I always want to follow scripture and not man's traditions. If someone wants to challenge me on this or show me somewhere in the new testament where it says this please do so.

My Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).​

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most today do not understand these basic truths in Scripture I have shown on repentance. They latch on to what some popular preacher or teacher says on repentance instead. I know. I used to be one of them. I used to believe that repentance was to forsake sin, when in reality the Bible teaches that "forsaking sin" is the "fruits of repentance"; And "repentance" is "seeking forgiveness with the Lord."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
So even though the passages I used from 1 Cor clearly show Paul using the present tense to describe them, "is" and "are", of God, you still want to insist otherwise, Paul regarded them as unsaved?

Okay, I can see that nothing else will change your mind here.

When the Word of God will not change your mind, you've become your own master.

Jesus said, he that believes on Me AND ENDURES TO THE END, shall be saved.

10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation,

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

2 Corinthians 7:

Paul was confident about the future salvation of this awful wayward Corinthian church member.
Notice how he says in the first letter like this, in verse 5

1 Corinthians 5 New King James Version (NKJV)
Immorality Defiles the Church
1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

However there is a process taking place in the life of this elect believer who sinned, and he ultimately would not be lost by Christ. God was not finished with him. A similar story to the one Jesus told about the young man who demanded his inheritance early and wasted it in a life of dissipation, eventually living among the pigs. it says he came to himself and decided to go back to the Fathers house. So the young man repented of his evil ways and was received back by his father, and they celebrated as if one had come back from the dead. In every case of elect believers in Christ who stray, God works in their life situations and in their hearts to bring them to their senses so that they return to Him, because He has promised that none of them that He has given to Christ will be lost.

John 18:8-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
8 Jesus answered, “I have told you that I am He. Therefore, if you seek Me, let these go their way,” 9 that the saying might be fulfilled which He spoke, “Of those whom You gave Me I have lost none.”

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Paul was confident about the future salvation of this awful wayward Corinthian church member.
Notice how he says in the first letter like this, in verse 5

1 Corinthians 5 New King James Version (NKJV)
Immorality Defiles the Church
1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

However there is a process taking place in the life of this elect believer who sinned, and he ultimately would not be lost by Christ. God was not finished with him. A similar story to the one Jesus told about the young man who demanded his inheritance early and wasted it in a life of dissipation, eventually living among the pigs. it says he came to himself and decided to go back to the Fathers house. So the young man repented of his evil ways and was received back by his father, and they celebrated as if one had come back from the dead. In every case of elect believers in Christ who stray, God works in their life situations and in their hearts to bring them to their senses so that they return to Him, because He has promised that none of them that He has given to Christ will be lost.

John 18:8-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
8 Jesus answered, “I have told you that I am He. Therefore, if you seek Me, let these go their way,” 9 that the saying might be fulfilled which He spoke, “Of those whom You gave Me I have lost none.”

All they lacked was repentance. They had become carnal. If they didn't repent, what would have happened to them? Do slaves of Satan go to heaven?

Jesus said He hadn't lost any of them the Father had given Him, except the son of perdition that scripture might be fulfilled. He was speaking of His disciples. You have to look at all three Synoptic gospels to find the missing pieces to get the whole truth. Otherwise, you'll make up your own doctrine and contradict the rest of the Word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter to the crowd present at Pentecost,
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts of the Apostles 2:36-39 NKJV

So, what is the sequence?

First, Peter was explicitly talking to people who were already believers in God and in scripture.

Second, Peter gave them the essentials of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as it could be given to people who already believed in God and scripture.

Third, they were "cut to the heart" by the Gospel--they accepted it.

Last, Peter told them to repent. The call to repentance came at the end of the process, not at the beginning.

C'mon, folks. Aren't those of us who have been Christians for years still finding sins to repent of?

Upvote 0