Where in scripture does it say to repent of your sins to get saved?

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It really confuses me why a lot of people say "repent of your sins" in order to get saved. I can't find anywhere in scripture where it says this. We should repent of our sins after we get saved as a sanctification process and to grow in Christ. And of course we should confess our sins to him, do good works, and all that, also part of our walk in him after we are saved and sealed, part of sanctification and the result of salvation. But everywhere in scripture, all I see is Jesus saying "repent". I never see anywhere "repent of your sins" when he preaches the gospel to them to save them. I am not making this thread as a debate or argument, I am generally curious if I am missing something here because I'm confused why so many street preachers and teachers say "repent of your sins" when preaching the gospel because I just don't see this in scripture, I always want to follow scripture and not man's traditions. If someone wants to challenge me on this or show me somewhere in the new testament where it says this please do so.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It really confuses me why a lot of people say "repent of your sins" in order to get saved. I can't find anywhere in scripture where it says this. We should repent of our sins after we get saved as a sanctification process and to grow in Christ. And of course we should confess our sins to him, do good works, and all that, also part of our walk in him after we are saved and sealed, part of sanctification and the result of salvation. But everywhere in scripture, all I see is Jesus saying "repent". I never see anywhere "repent of your sins" when he preaches the gospel to them to save them. I am not making this thread as a debate or argument, I am generally curious if I am missing something here because I'm confused why so many street preachers and teachers say "repent of your sins" when preaching the gospel because I just don't see this in scripture, I always want to follow scripture and not man's traditions. If someone wants to challenge me on this or show me somewhere in the new testament where it says this please do so.
An unsaved sinner cannot repent. Only a regenerated believer can. He has to believe the gospel and be converted first, and then he will be able to repent. Trying to repent to be converted is to try and get right with God through works, because repentance is a work.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An unsaved sinner cannot repent. Only a regenerated believer can. He has to believe the gospel and be converted first, and then he will be able to repent. Trying to repent to be converted is to try and get right with God through works, because repentance is a work.
In terms of turning away from our sinful habits that's what I believe too. But I don't know why when Jesus says "repent" in scripture, people are thinking it means about sins? If repent means a change of mind, isn't a logical conclusion he is talking about repenting from unbelief?

I just don't know where this trend of street preachers saying to repent of your sins to get saved came from because I can't find it in scripture.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where in scripture does it say to repent of your sins to get saved?
Peter to the crowd present at Pentecost,
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts of the Apostles 2:36-39 NKJV

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter to the crowd present at Pentecost,
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts of the Apostles 2:36-39 NKJV
But you didn't answer my question... It doesn't say "repent of your sins" anywhere in that verse...

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't say "repent of your sins" anywhere in that verse...
How do you think Peter meant to use the word repent, then?

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you think Peter meant to use the word repent, then?
Isn't he just saying "Change your mind" from unbelief? (repent, metanoia means change of mind in the Greek definition). Where does sin come in the picture?

• Agree
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm certain that it is deeper than just one's mind.
Where in scripture does it say that and how are you certain? How do you know if it means that in Greek and what is the source?

I was taught that the definition of the word repent literally means change your mind. In Greek, Metanoia, is defined as a change of mind. If someone wants to educate me and prove me otherwise, I'm all ears. If someone sees another definition that it means turning from sins and proves it using sources I will repent from my understanding of the word repent myself lol. I simply want to stick to scripture as close as possible and I simply never heard in scripture Jesus or anyone say "repent of your sins" or "repent of your wicked ways" when preaching the gospel of salvation (though of course we change our mind about our sins and turn from sins as a result of our faith and salvation, but that's after we are saved) and so many preachers do that today so I am confused on where this trend started and how is it biblical when it never says that in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the context of Acts of the Apostles 2:38, what would Peter be telling them to "change their minds" about?
Their unbelief in Jesus Christ. As he proclaims the gospel of Jesus right after he says repent. And Jesus is the only one who can save them from their sins.

I'm not trying to challenge you. I am looking for somebody to challenge me. I was always taught repent in Greek means change your mind. If anyone has any sources that say otherwise, I would like to be challenged. I just don't know where this trend came from.

Also how come throughout some verses in the bible it says God repented? If repent means something related to sins, how can God repent? He has no sin.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't he just saying "Change your mind" from unbelief? (repent, metanoia means change of mind in the Greek definition). Where does sin come in the picture?
The Greek is misleading, Jesus, Yeshua was speaking to the children of Israel, Those to whom the Torah was given. The torah contains what God sees as sin. The word used in Hebrew and translated from Greek to English is 'teshuvah', it does not mean to change ones mind it means to turn away from. Turn from breaking the commandments to keeping them.

Saved means to have eternal life.

Teshuvah also means to return to God, turn away from not keeping the terms of the covenant (the marriage contract) and return back to keeping them.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Without ado, here you go!

Luke 13:3
I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

I'm shocked nobody knows where to find it!
giphy.gif

Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Repent then and turn to God so that your sins may be forgiven (ac 3:19)

Repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Lk 24:47)
But that still doesn't answer my question... Where does it say "repent of your sins" there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Without ado, here you go!

Luke 13:3
I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

I'm shocked nobody knows where to find it!
giphy.gif
Still didn't answer my question. Where does it say "repent of your sins" in that verse? It's nowhere in the bible! Are you adding your own definition to the word repent to make it about sin? If so, why did God repent in scripture?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the OP. Jesus used "repent" not of individual sins but of a change in the direction of your life.

Check a concordance some time. Jesus talks about sinners, by which he seems to mean people fundamentally unconcerned about obedience. He talks about forgiveness of sin, about "sinners" and "sin" as a collective noun. But he does not talk about individual sins or repentance from them except in Mat 5:29-30, which is obvious hyperbole. (He also never attributes purity or holiness to humans.)

My theory: the Pharisees were obsessed by sin and purity. They were Jesus' major opponents. I think at least partly in contrast with them, he taught that we were supposed to get our hearts and our intentions right, though he also said we'd be judged by results. He also seemed to have cared more that we do positive things to help people that that we are free from fault.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean if people really want to say repent of your sins when preaching the gospel (in the context of turning from your sins) they may as well say do good works for others too like feed the poor. Because turning from sin and loving your neighbours are both good works we do after we are saved, and related to following the commandments of loving God because he hates sin and loving our neighbours. Turning from sin is indeed a good work - Jonah 3:10 "And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way;" Sometimes it takes effort to overcome sins and strongholds in our life and these are good works we do after we are saved. When preaching the gospel Jesus said repent to change your mind or direction in believing in Jesus, never talked about sin in that context. We should tell others to turn away from sins and do good works after they get saved by accepting the gospel because you can't clean a fish until you catch it first. So it confuses my why preachers add that, even though it's the right thing to do in your walk after you get saved. We should simply preach the gospel to people as Jesus instructed, to believe that he is Lord and savior over their sins and that he died and got resurrected. And then once they believe and are saved and sealed tell them to turn from their wicked ways and live out their new man, trust God to guide them in their new life. But not say these things which are meant as sanctification after you get saved and place it with salvation... That's not what Jesus did. Just preach the gospel to people and they will repent of their sins after they get saved.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not what Jesus did. Just preach the gospel to people and they will repent of their sins after they get saved.
I agree with you that repent means to change one's mind and believe the Gospel. Part of the changing of the mind is acknowledging that you are a sinner in need of a Savior, that is the Gospel message.

Upvote 0