WHERE DOES IT SAY GOD'S SABBATH IS ABOLSIHED AND WE ARE COMMANDED TO KEEP SUNDAY AS A HOLY DAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone please show me where in all the bible does is say (SOLA SCRIPTURA; Scripture only please)...
First show us where in all the Bible does it say that everything we need to know about the true faith is found in the Bible. Start with where it tells us which books are actually supposed to be in the canon, and which aren't.

• Useful
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can anyone please show me where in all the bible does is say ...

1. That God's 4th commandments 7th day Sabbath has been abolished?
Why do Saturday keepers make such a big issue out of Saturday keeping?

If you want a verse or two about the abrogation, abolishing, ending of the ten commandments written on stone tablets for Moses then take a look at:
2 Corinthians 3:1-18 Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some do, letters of recommendation to you, or from you? 2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on your hearts, to be known and read by all men; 3 and you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. 4 Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are competent of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our competence is from God, 6 who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the dispensation of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such splendor that the Israelites could not look at Moses' face because of its brightness, fading as this was, 8 will not the dispensation of the Spirit be attended with greater splendor? 9 For if there was splendor in the dispensation of condemnation, the dispensation of righteousness must far exceed it in splendor. 10 Indeed, in this case, what once had splendor has come to have no splendor at all, because of the splendor that surpasses it. 11 For if what faded away came with splendor, what is permanent must have much more splendor. 12 Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, 13 not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not see the end of the fading splendor. 14 But their minds were hardened; for to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. 15 Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their minds; 16 but when a man turns to the Lord the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into his likeness from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how you are being honest in saying that Sunday worship must be justified by the Bible.
The groups that oppose Sunday worship either follow the self-proclaimed prophet Ellen White, who founded the Seventh Day Adventists, or they are Jehovah's Witnesses
Jehovah's witnesses do not keep Saturday as a sabbath they do not keep any day as sabbath. They usually meet on Sundays.

• Informative
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother nice to meet you and thanks for your thought. Howver, only God's WORD is true
Seems to me that several things are true that are not stated in the bible. For example 27 divided by 9 is three is true and not stated in the bible. Tuesday is the day after Monday and that is true yet not stated in the bible. Donald is currently the President of the USA and that is true yet not stated in the bible. Maybe you are overstating your case when you write "only God's WORD is true"

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My take on it is Titus 3:9- But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.
Thanks for stating the proper response.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. - Acts 20:7

And we have been doing it ever since. No word on worshipping on Saturday.

No mention of the sabbath here.

Sabbath is Saturday (7th day of week), not Sunday (1st).

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The challenge I am putting up here in the OP is for anyone to show even one scripture that says God's 4th Commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) which was spoken and written by God himself to his people, has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

Can anyone please show me where in all the bible does is say (SOLA SCRIPTURA; Scripture only please)...

1. That God's 4th commandments 7th day Sabbath has been abolished?

2. That Jesus is a Sabbath?

3. The Sabbath (seventh day) was ever changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?

4. Where we are told to keep the first day of the week holy?

5. Where the first day of the week (Sunday) is ever called a holy day?

6. That says that Jesus ever kept the first day (Sunday)?

7. That tells us to keep the first day in honour of the resurrection of Christ?

8. Where the first day is ever given any sacred name?

9. That affirms that any of the apostles ever kept the first day as the Sabbath?

10. From any apostolic writings that authorizes Sunday observance as the Sabbath of God?

11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?

12. That says the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day?

13. That says the seventh day Sabbath is ABOLISHED?

14. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

15. Where the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

16. Where the first day of the week is ever called the Lord's Day?

17. That says that the first day of the week was ever sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?

18. That says that the Father or the Son (Jesus) rested on the first day of the week?

19. That says that Jesus, Paul or any other of the apostles taught anyone to observe the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

20. That calls the seventh day the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

21. Telling man to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

22. Authorizing anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

23. Showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

24. Authorizing someone to set aside the fourth Commandment and observe any other day of the week?

25. Where any apostle taught us to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

26. Declaring that the seventh day is no longer the Eternal Sabbath day?

27. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Sabbath or holy day?

Something to think about here because we are all accountable to God come judgment day where we will all be judged by the Word of God (John 12:47-48).

God's Word makes it very clear that if we follow the teachings of men over the Word of God we are not following God...

MATTHEW 15:3-9 [3],
[3], But he answered and said unto them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift devoted to God, whatsoever you might have received from me;
[6], And honors not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God void by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
[8], These people draw near unto me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

If we are KNOWINGLY breaking ANY of God's commandments we are not worshipping God.

Look forward to your thoughts...
Yes brother ..sadly people gather in buildings on a certain day(s) and a certain time and call it worship . They did the same thing in Isaiah 's day and in Amos day . ( Amos 5:22 ) Bring no more vain oblations : incense is an abomination to me , your new moons and SABBATHS , the calling of assemblies , I can not endure . You would be surprised at how many people think they are worshipping God by keeping the old covenant sabbath rather than doing truth and love every day . We are very task oriented by nature ...we want to "do" something for God but we know that He must do something for us ...we must be born again .
Everyone knows that Jesus was Jesus every day ...as is His body ..Not just Friday night to Saturday night . But also as the part is included in the whole , every day is His . Monday is Holy or it is not . Be ye Holy , for I am Holy ( I think Monday is Holy along with every other day . ) But as your and my apostle Paul sent by Jesus Christ says " Some people esteem one day more special than others and others esteem every day alike . " So in answer to your question ..Yes , we are to keep the sabbath for the Lord of the Sabbath said " I will never leave you nor forsake you . "
Now the whole " forsake not the assembling of yourselves together " from Hebrews is what you may be referring to ...which DAY do we assemble ? That is up to the individual but I say as often is possible . ( Just be careful that one does not start patting their selves on the back because they keep the letter of one of the laws . ) It causes a blindness ...a spiritual pride if you will ...It will cause one to take the highest seat at a gathering ..only to be asked to take a lower seat by the Master of the feast .
( I am aware of too many martyrs that have given their lives because of their great love for Jesus ...and some "worshipped"on Sundays and others observed Christmas . ) I hope to be able to see them crowned from the tiny corner of God's Kingdom that I can rightly claim by my sacrifice . How about you ?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we follow your argument here then there would two of the sabbatōn. If one reads the text it's clear that your verse doesn't say one of the sabbaths.

The Greek literally says "one the sabbath".
No. Sabbaton is a plural noun. It is Sabbaths. Study your Greek.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath is the only commandment that can be change because it was linked to the old creation when God created the land, sea, and everything in it and then rested on the seventh day. The Sabbath was linked to the first or old creation.

God has made a new day.....a new creation. It's called the "Lord's Day" because it is the fulfilment in Him of the first creation and the dawn of "the new creation." Sunday replaced the Sabbath for Christians because Christ's Passover fulfills the truth of the Jewish Sabbath.

I'm really glad you brought that up because that was one of the points I was going to make!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ACTS 15 however has nothing to do with God's 4th Commandment or the 10 commandments. The CONTEXT of ACTS 15 is shown in ACTS 15:1-2 which was over the question "IS CIRCUMCISION A REQUIREMENT FOR SLAVATION"

Acts 15 had everything to do with the commandments! Specifically speaking it deals with what is called Halacha in Judaism.

The word "halakhah" (from the root halakh, "to go"), the legal side of Judaism (as distinct from aggadah, the name given to the nonlegal material, particularly of the rabbinic literature), embraces personal, social, national, and international relationships, and all the other practices and observances of Judaism. In the Bible the good life is frequently spoken of as a way in which men are "to go," e.g., "and shalt show them the way wherein they are to go and the work that they must do" (Ex. 18:20). Originally the term halakhah (pl. halakhot) had the meaning of the particular law or decision in a given instance, as in the frequent expression "this is a law given to Moses on Sinai" ( *Halakhah le-Moshe mi-Sinai ). This usage persisted, but side by side with it there developed the use of halakhah as a generic term for the whole legal system of Judaism, embracing all the detailed laws and observances. For instance, the Talmud (Shab. 138b) comments on "the word of the Lord" (Amos 8:12) that this means the halakhah.

Halakhah

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
OK - I'll give a "crack" at this thread.

First off get out an Interlinear Bible. Because I'm going to point out a couple of passages in the Greek.

Every place in the New Testament where you see the phrase "First day of the week". This comes from the transliterated word out of Hebrew "Sabbath". It is 8 places in the New Testament.

Matthew 28:1,
Mark 16:2,
Mark 16:9,
Luke 24:1,
John 20:1,
John 20:19,
Acts 20:7,
I Corinthians 16:2

Now pay real close attention to Matthew 28:1 - A literal Greek translation is: "At the end of the Sabbaths as it began to dawn toward the first of the Sabbaths came Mary Magdalene....."

"First day of the week" and "Sabbath" are exactly the SAME GREEK WORD! Note also, they are in the plural. The "end of the Sabbaths" (plural Sabbaths) and "the first of the Sabbaths" (plural Sabbath).

Mark 16:2 - Same Greek word "Sabbath" also in the plural.
Mark 16:9 - Same Greek word "Sabbath" although in the singular. (This particular one is referencing the day of the resurrection.)
Luke 24:1 - "Sabbath" plural
John 20:1 - "Sabbath" plural
John 20:19 - "Sabbath" plural
Acts 20:7 - "Sabbath" plural
1 Corinthians 16:2 - "Sabbath" singular.

Now it's pretty clear from the Greek here that we have one set of "Sabbaths" and another set of "Sabbaths".

It is also very clear that in Acts 20:7 they are gathering on the "first of the Sabbaths". To say that verse means "7th day Sabbath" would not make contextual sense. How would the church be gathering on the "first of the 7th day Sabbaths" when that "Sabbath" was enacted back in Genesis?

Now for the Hebrew:
The Hebrew has a separate word for "week" than "Sabbath". The Hebrew word for "week" is a derivative of the Hebrew word "seven", not a derivative of the Hebrew word "Sabbath".

Next question - Does the ancient Greek language have a word for "week" that is separate from the New Testament Greek word "Sabbath" used in the Scripture? That, I'm not sure (I would assume they do) but I have not been able to find what that word is.

Now that being said; if the writers of the New Testament took the word "Sabbath" transliterated out of the Hebrew and used that for "first day of the week", they could have just as easily transliterated the Hebrew word for "week" (derivative of the word seven) and used that for "first day of the week" had they not been led by the Holy Ghost in the penning of the Scripture to change the day of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, once Christ rose from the dead.

Now, there is additional information I could pull together related to what Sabbaths and the Old Testament law means; but I won't get into real complex explanations of that.

I will say this though. Here is how redemption works as it is related to "The Law". It is true when Paul says that if you've transgressed one portion of the law, your guilty of transgressing the entire law. This encompasses the entire Old Testament, both what is sometimes called the "ceremonial law" as well as the "moral law".

One who is regenerated by the Spirit of God and redeemed by the blood of Christ is indeed dead to the entirety of the Old Testament law. (Because by the law is the knowledge of sin). When a person is regenerated though; the Spirit of God has inseparably cleaved Himself to the spirit of this individual. So the Holy Ghost Himself now is the "law written on their hearts". The Holy Spirit being a moral agent (because God is holy) cleaved to this person compels them to moral obedience, even though they are "dead to the law" (moral law included); they are "alive unto Christ" - and the agent that makes them "alive" is the Holy Ghost.

So here is how the Christian who is not even technically under the moral law, still follows it because they are possessed of by God through the Holy Spirit and God can not deny Himself.

Can those born of the Spirit still sin? Yes they can and they do. They do not live a "lifestyle of sin" (that is not the fruit of the Spirit) and they still sin because the remnants of the fallen nature they still possess as the seed of the first Adam have not been made perfect. That will not happen until the destruction of this cosmos and the recreation of the new heavens and the new earth. At that point, our redemption will be fully enacted upon.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The "LORDS DAY" According to God's WORD has never been SUNDAY and you cannot show a single scripture to say that the LORD'S DAY is SUNDAY.

So if there is NO scripture in God's WORD that says the LORD'S DAY is SUNDAY then what DAY is the LORD'S DAY according to God's WORD? We real from God's WORD...

MATTHEW 12:8 [8], FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

For a Bible guy, I'm amazed at how unscriptural you are when it suits your purposes!

2 CORINTHIANS 13:1
KJ21 This is the third time I am coming to you. “In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.” (Deuteronomy 19:15, Deuteronomy 17:6)

Proverbs 22:28 New King James Version (NKJV)
28 Do not remove the ancient [a]landmarkWhich your fathers have set.

1 TIMOTHY 3:15
KJ21 but if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou ought to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

It is a historical fact that the Early Church worshiped both on Saturday (the Sabbath) and Sunday (The Day of the Lord, because the resurrection took place on that day). I can quote a multitude of ancient witnesses to establish those facts (and will do so if need be), and the testimony of the Church has never been that Saturday is the Lord's day! But for this time, I will just link this article. https://orthodoxwiki.org/Lord's_Day

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No mention of the sabbath here.

Sabbath is Saturday (7th day of week), not Sunday (1st).
There is an interesting inference in context. Verse six says they stayed seven days in Troas. One of those seven days was the Sabbath, but they met with the church on the first day of the week.

Acts 20:6-7
But we sailed from Philippi after the Festival of Unleavened Bread, and five days later joined the others at Troas, where we stayed seven days. 7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I heard this last night on a radio interview about stem cell research:

"the chicken is the egg's way of making another egg"

And I think this is another way to say it:

"The Torah is the seed's way of making another seed."

Like kind produces like kind. This is how life is perpetuated.

So Torah is like a stem cell...

"Stem cells are cells that can differentiate into other types of cells, and can also divide in self-renewal to produce more of the same type of stem cells."
Stem cell - Wikipedia

So why do people discard this most necessary spiritual process?

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised nobody's brought up Colossians 2:16.

Colossians 2:16

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

Also, we worship on a Sunday because it is the day that Christ rose from the dead. But that's been said already.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I find it truly shocking many cannot agree with each other on the most basic things.

Should we also worry about what color underwear we wear? :clap::clap::clap:

Yes, because I've been wearing black underwear for forever and it's time for a change.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do you suppose Paul is defending and requiring observance of the sabbath? If so based on what?

No, he didn't have to...it was taken for granted. It never entered anybody's mind that it would be unobserved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised nobody's brought up Colossians 2:16.

Colossians 2:16

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

Also, we worship on a Sunday because it is the day that Christ rose from the dead. But that's been said already.

Great passage was brought up at least once in the second page I believe (by an Anabaptist poster), and someone else I think also may have referenced it. And I actually foot noted it in my first post, in the subpoint dealing with the Judaizers in the NT. It doesn't matter as far as the poster goes because he is set to dismiss anything that doesn't fit his SDA agenda and already has dismissed this verse in pertaining to the issue but I don't remember the exact reason he used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.