Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for Christians?

• Yes. (they are included in God's the Law of Love, and in the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33)

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No they are not good

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Some of them are good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To clarify things here, please define the Law for me.
depends on context. Uses it in a verse of actual scripture.

Rom 2:13 "it is not the HEARERS of the LAW that are just before God - but the DOERS of the LAW will be JUSTIFIED"

Where Justification is a distinct GOSPEL concept.

As the Baptist Confession of Faith sectn 19
and the Westminster Confession of Faith sectn 19
and D.L. Moody
and R.C.Sproul
And C.H. Spurgeon
and ...

all confess - the TEN are INCLUDED in that moral law of God - the one that defines what sin is - in 1 John 3:4 "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" and this is the LAW that is written on the heart as Spurgeon pointed out.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rom 8:4-12 points to the fact that the born again saints can and do comply with God's Word while the one that is not born again "does not submit to the Law of God - NEITHER INDEED CAN they"

You have free will - and can choose to identify with whatever group you wish.

Rom 8:
4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him

That's Paul's teaching.. according to the Bible I am reading.
There are multitudes of professing Christians, as you know, who have identified with the Gospel and who do not (and even cannot) obey the commandments of the Law.

As usual, you failed to answer my questions. Why do you choose to obfuscate rather than clarify.

To clarify things here, please define the Law for me. How many commandments does it contain? How many are you obligated to obey?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
depends on context. Uses it in a verse of actual scripture.

Rom 2:13 "it is not the HEARERS of the LAW that are just before God - but the DOERS of the LAW will be JUSTIFIED"

Where Justification is a distinct GOSPEL concept.

As the Baptist Confession of Faith sectn 19
and the Westminster Confession of Faith sectn 19
and D.L. Moody
and R.C.Sproul
And C.H. Spurgeon
and ...

all confess - the TEN are INCLUDED in that moral law of God - the one that defines what sin is - in 1 John 3:4 "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" and this is the LAW that is written on the heart as Spurgeon pointed out.
There are multitudes of professing Christians, as you know, who have identified with the Gospel
Indeed and some of those groups are affiliated with the scholarship I note above.

and who do not (and even cannot) obey the commandments of the Law.
Given what Paul says about that idea in Romans 8 -- I choose to let them each speak for themselves before leaping off of that cliff.

Rom 8:4-12 points to the fact that the born again saints can and do comply with God's Word while the one that is not born again "does not submit to the Law of God - NEITHER INDEED CAN they"

Rom 8:
"4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him"

Rev 14:12 "Saints Keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

To clarify things here, please define the Law for me. How many commandments does it contain? How many are you obligated to obey?
So you did or did not read Eph 6:1-2?? OR is Paul obfuscating in your POV?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curiously, the vast majority of professing Christians who, theoretically, have all of God's law written on their hearts, do not (and in many cases cannot) obey that Law. Have you any idea why that is?
Hard hearts . Case and point. It is quite plainly written in Deuteronomy 30 what’s on the heart so that all can see. Yet here we are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Indeed and some of those groups are affiliated with the scholarship I note above.

Given what Paul says about that idea in Romans 8 -- I choose to let them each speak for themselves before leaping off of that cliff.

Rom 8:
"4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him"

Rev 14:12 "Saints Keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

So you did or did not read Eph 6:1-2?? OR is Paul obfuscating in your POV?
Thank you for confirming that the Law of God is not limited to only ten commandments of His, but includes all of the commandments given by God to His covenant people, Israel.

Are you of the persuasion that Gentiles are under covenant obligation to obey the Law?

Upvote 0