Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for Christians?

• Yes. (they are included in God's the Law of Love, and in the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33)

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No they are not good

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Some of them are good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for mankind?

If good -- then what day of the week does the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?

Why is Sunday often kept instead of the 7th day of the week?

======================================

Ex 20:10 "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)?"

Is 66:23 in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for mankind?

If good -- then what day of the week does the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?

Why is Sunday often kept instead of the 7th day of the week?

======================================

Ex 20:10 "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)?"

Is 66:23 in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"
God’s law is most certainly good for all! But it is only required to be kept by those under the law.
The law was given to the Jews only. Gentiles were not under the law.
if the Jews were unable to keep the law then why would anyone expect the Gentiles to keep the law and why would any Gentile want to put himself under the law that’s called ‘the ministration of death”
It’s good for anyone to have at least one day of rest.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God’s law is most certainly good for all! But it is only required to be kept by those under the law.
The law was given to the Jews only. Gentiles were not under the law.
if the Jews were unable to keep the law then why would anyone expect the Gentiles to keep the law and why would any Gentile want to put himself under the law that’s called ‘the ministration of death”
It’s good for anyone to have at least one day of rest.
So something that is good for everyone and is based in love is impossible to keep and has been done away with by God? How is it easier to love your neighbor as yourself than to love him enough not to sleep with his wife. not steal from him, not covet anything that he owns, etc... and to love God supremely no longer means to actually love Him supremely as we can ignore the day He told us to worship Him on?

Do you think your wife will think you love her if you consistently don't do the things she asks you to do?

Upvote 0

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So something that is good for everyone and is based in love is impossible to keep and has been done away with by God? How is it easier to love your neighbor as yourself than to love him enough not to sleep with his wife. not steal from him, not covet anything that he owns, etc... and to love God supremely no longer means to actually love Him supremely as we can ignore the day He told us to worship Him on?

Do you think your wife will think you love her if you consistently don't do the things she asks you to do?
Love fullfils the law. However, breaking the sabbath as given by God was punishable by death.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Love fullfils the law. However, breaking the sabbath as given by God was punishable by death.
So was adultery. theft, not honoring your mother and father, idolatry, consulting a witch, wizard, or necromancer, and a host of other laws under Israel's theocracy. Your objection is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So was adultery. theft, not honoring your mother and father, idolatry, consulting a witch, wizard, or necromancer, and a host of other laws under Israel's theocracy. Your objection is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.
My point is that it doesn’t matter whether the sabbath begins on Saturday or Sunday. If you want to put yourself under the sabbath law as God has given it to His people then to break it means death.
under the New Covenent Christians are not under the Old Covent law to keep them. And just as the Jews were unable to keep them, so are you.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My point is that it doesn’t matter whether the sabbath begins on Saturday or Sunday. If you want to put yourself under the sabbath law as God has given it to His people then to break it means death.
under the New Covenent Christians are not under the Old Covent law to keep them. And just as the Jews were unable to keep them, so are you.
You misunderstand the entire NT. Look at what Jesus and Paulo had roi say about traditions.

Mark 7: 1 THEN came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.
3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.
4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

The Talmud which the Pharisees followed has hundreds of laws concerning hand washing, washing dishes, etc. They had thousands of laws governing every aspect of human behavior. There was nothing about life that was untouched. They also had hundreds of laws governing how to keep the Sabbath and accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath when He healed people on Sabbath.

This is why Jesus called them hypocrites multiple times and told the people during the sermon on the mount that unless their righteousness exceeded the righteousness of the Pharisees they would never enter heaven.

Paul was a Pharisee. He went around killing and persecuting Christians before his conversion.

Galatians 1: 13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews’ religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Phillippians 3: 4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

So does keeping the law of God cause a person to kill and persecute Christians? Was Paul blameless before the law of God? If not, to what law is he referring?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Neither does the Great Commandment of loving your neighbor.
You did not answer the questions. Was Paul blameless before the law of God and if not what law was he he talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You did not answer the questions. Was Paul blameless before the law of God and if not what law was he he talking about?
No Paul wasn't blameless because he didn't follow Love your neighbor by persecuting them. Love fulfills the law.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Paul claimed to be blameless because he thought that bringing Christians to justice was the right thing to do.
Jesus told him that he was persecuting Him.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No Paul wasn't blameless because he didn't follow Love your neighbor by persecuting them. Love fulfills the law.
So what law was he speaking to when he said as to the law blameless?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul claimed to be blameless because he thought that bringing Christians to justice was the right thing to do.
Jesus told him that he was persecuting Him.
Oh, so killing people was OK for him to do according to the 10 commandments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Comparing the Talmud, with the Mosaic law is unreasonable - The Mosaic Law was given by God, the Talmud (as in Jesus' understanding was not). Therefore Jesus is condemning the pharisees for placing value on the Talmud, over and above the Mosaic Law.

Under the Law (i.e. the Law of God, i.e. the Mosaic law which we read about in Leviticus etc), the penalty for sin was death, so yes, keeping the Law of God did cause people to kill other people - those who broke the law got killed. God was very clear in the Old Testament that the Israelite nation should remain pure, and that anything or anyone that would turn them away from him should at least be cast out of the assembly, if not killed. So again, from Saul's (Paul) perspective as a Pharisee, the Christians were a sect which encouraging Jews to commit Idolatry essentially, because they worshiped Jesus as God, but the Jews could not accept that Jesus was God - so they thought he was just a man, so the Christians were worshiping a man rather than God (in their eyes). The penalty for Idolatry was death.

So yes, Paul was blameless before the Law, even in spite of killing (I don't think he actually killed anyone, but he approved of their deaths) and persecuting Christians. Similar to the fact that the Church even up to Luther and Calvin's time (and beyond), the Christian leaders considered that heretics should be killed - the Catholics burned them at the stake, the Protestants beheaded them. (But I guess we would argue that the Church was wrong?)

Upvote 0

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so killing people was OK for him to do according to the 10 commandments?
Yes! In the Jewish mind. The first commandment, 'You shall worship no other God's before me! The second commandment, you shall have no idols. The Christians worshiped, Jesus, who to the Jews was not God, so that was breaking the first and second commandment. The penalty for breaking the law was death - as specified in the law. Admittedly the Law is a larger corpus of instructions that the 10 commandments, and the 10 commandments specifies you shall not kill. So I get your point.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Law is blameless but love fulfills the law. Are there any other parts of the Ten Commandments you want to talk about?
In other words you want to completely ignore the law that Paul was blameless before when committing murder. I understand why, but I can't understand wanting to dodge the question rather than face the truth.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other words you want to completely ignore the law that Paul was blameless before when committing murder.
The law was given to the Jews.

Now if you think about it hard, if you love your neighbor including all humankind would you do any of those things you mention? Not because of law but because of unconditional love. Loving your neighbor encompasses more than the written law. If you love your neighbor it shows you love God.
Your objection is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.

Now this is a loving statement, not. I think his statement was relevant.
Your statement and mine were unloving and none of these are written in the law but it violates the Great Commandment.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The law was given to the Jews.

Now if you think about it hard, if you love your neighbor including all humankind would you do any of those things you mention? Not because of law but because of unconditional love. Loving your neighbor encompasses more than the written law. If you love your neighbor it shows you love God.

Your statement and mine were unloving and none of these are written in the law but it violates the Great Commandment.
I give up getting you to answer my questions. God has given you the right to believe what you choose. I can do no less. Believe what you want. I will not discuss this any further with you as it is fruitless.

Upvote 0