When Someone Refuses to Learn About God, What Do You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT

Posts are missing or edited due to mocking, goading, flaming, swearing.

Bless you. Thank you, Truth Frees.

John C8
31 those Jews who believed in him, "If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free
."

I think what I posted may have caused the OP to "not cool off" or to "not attain spiritual cooling" as the OP so eloquently put it, but instead caused an avalanche (one could say I did the OP a service here) to occur (in retrospect I thought the OP jumped out of the pot and into the fire to cool off) requiring the services of one of our beloved moderators. I am not sure because my post was deleted, I was not present after posting my post and so cannot be certain of what happened and I think there were other posts that were deleted as well.

I do not apologise about my post because the intent of the post was to pass my opinion of my observation of a person purporting to be a defender of the Faith, defender of God on what I perceived the OP to be and how the OP's poor inability to keep mental poise in the face of different opinions shows a lack of understanding of the Op's self. If the OP doesn't even understand the Op's self, how can a person like the Op even begin to extrapolate on the Holocaust and interrelate that event to the Infinite Majestic Creator.

I believe my post was actually polite and instructive in nature in consideration of that person and the prevailing circumstances.

What do you do when someone refuses to learn about God?

Bless them. Thank them for giving one the time of day and letting one be the centre of attention on the thread which one created for oneself for that purpose, and let them know how grateful one is for learning from them. Apologise to them for not being able to shine the Light of God's Mercy upon them if they are unbelievers due to one's inadequacies. Thank God and ask forgiveness from God in case one has not done one's job properly, promising more sacrifice for future engagements.

Glory be God.

Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What do you do when someone refuses to learn about God?

I wonder, genuinely, if the original poster and some others here have ever put this up against a mirror, to consider what it looks and feels like to be on the other side of this idea.

"What do you do when someone refuses to see the validity and truth in their being no god?"
Whatever rises in your mind may get pretty close to what possibly could be found in the minds of considered atheists faced with the original expression.

"I'm certain I'm right" (can imply: so you must be blind or foolish to hold any different position).
is a real killer of motivation to discuss.
"What would be the point?" pretty much applies from *both* sides in such a circumstance.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was on a forum having a long discussion about God and the Bible. It was fine until the Holocaust was brought up. I mentioned how God would lift his protection on people if they rejected his ways, theorizing that that's why the Holocaust happened. God lifted his protection, and the devil stepped in to terrorize them as he's done in the past, hence Exodus and Judges. But then this man I spoke with stated that turning away from dead people made God as bad as Hitler. Angrily, I brought up the book of Revalations and how this guy clearly never read it, and somehow thinks he can judge God when he doesn't know anything about him. Obviously, he was looking for bad points about God instead of trying to learn about it, so I left. But he'll obviously reply, so I don't want to go back. But a part of me keeps wondering. How do you try to forget about it? He doesn't want knowledge. What do you do in a time like this?

First, calm your anger. Then
Read scripture to learn more, of course:

2 Thessalonians 2
10 and with every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. 11 For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, 12 in order that judgment will come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
AmbassadorFlame_zpsb1ea6e68.jpg

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
MOD HAT

Posts have been removed for flaming and going off-topic.

Please discuss only the topic of the OP

Debating Christianity is not allowed in Ethics and Morality as per the SOP

General Apologetics: This is not a forum where Christians are asked to defend their faith against objections and criticism from non-believers. Non-Christian members who would like to challenge Christian theology, beliefs and practices, should start a thread in the Christian Apologetics forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I was on a forum having a long discussion about God and the Bible. It was fine until the Holocaust was brought up. I mentioned how God would lift his protection on people if they rejected his ways, theorizing that that's why the Holocaust happened. God lifted his protection, and the devil stepped in to terrorize them as he's done in the past, hence Exodus and Judges. But then this man I spoke with stated that turning away from dead people made God as bad as Hitler.

Angrily, I brought up the book of Revalations and how this guy clearly never read it, and somehow thinks he can judge God when he doesn't know anything about him. Obviously, he was looking for bad points about God instead of trying to learn about it, so I left. But he'll obviously reply, so I don't want to go back. But a part of me keeps wondering.

How do you try to forget about it? He doesn't want knowledge. What do you do in a time like this?
When someone questions my authority, I get mad and sad. ;)
In the next stage I ask myself: What good reason does he have to accept me as an authority on the matter?

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was on a forum having a long discussion about God and the Bible. It was fine until the Holocaust was brought up. I mentioned how God would lift his protection on people if they rejected his ways, theorizing that that's why the Holocaust happened. God lifted his protection, and the devil stepped in to terrorize them as he's done in the past, hence Exodus and Judges. But then this man I spoke with stated that turning away from dead people made God as bad as Hitler.

Angrily, I brought up the book of Revalations and how this guy clearly never read it, and somehow thinks he can judge God when he doesn't know anything about him. Obviously, he was looking for bad points about God instead of trying to learn about it, so I left. But he'll obviously reply, so I don't want to go back. But a part of me keeps wondering.

How do you try to forget about it? He doesn't want knowledge. What do you do in a time like this?

A better question would be WHY are YOU so upset that he doesn't agree with you? Why are you compelled and challenged and unpeaceful about this?

This dilemma you speak of is a personal problem in you. You NEED him to agree with you for some reason, whenever you discover what that reason is THEN you might be able to learn what to then do about it.

You also haven't talked about how maybe you're the one who's wrong. Maybe he has every right to be upset about the idea of people being tortured, butchered and raped, who wouldn't be?
I love my mother very much but if I found her killing people, or torturing people I'd be really upset and reject her, that's my own mom. If I wouldn't trust my own mother to hurt people this way, what makes you think I'd trust some other being to do it? ...there's no really no room for discussion. You can't cut someone's head off and then whisper that you love them, no matter who or what you are.

But the real problem is why you NEED him to agree with you, why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think if you went door to door witnessing you'd probably solve this problem and understand it quickly.
You'd knock on a door and sometimes people would shut the door in your face and you would have two options

1. Leave
2. Have the police called because you won't leave

Staying and figuring out a way to MAKE them agree with you is not an option. You'll have to find your own self worth, your own value, your own self esteem, your own peace within yourself and not in anyone else.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Truthfully?

Forgive me please, some of this may not be pleasant. But you asked in the OP "what do YOU do" so I'm going to take it that way ....

Firstly, I realize that if *I* am upset and angry or whatever because of someone's decision not to believe ME ... that really points to a problem within myself. What is it about ME that thinks they MUST agree with me and accept MY words? If I am upset on that count, it is really a matter of pride or something along those lines, and I have some work to do on myself.

Now, I may be GRIEVED that they reject Christ. That is an appropriate response. In that case, use that grief and pray for them fervently. That is one thing a caring heart can do.

And another thing is that if we are trying to explain things like "why God let the Holocaust happen" .... wow, that gets difficult anyway. Do we know the counsels of God? There are a number of "Christian" answers .... God's respect of human free will, God's knowledge and bringing all things to good for the sake of those who will believe, and so on. But if a person is hurting, especially, those things can sound like something different than what we mean - rather like if your father beats you within an inch of your life for pilfering a cookie and tells you that "it's for your own good" or some other personal issue that jumps into their minds. I believe God DOES respect free will, and DOES bring all things to good if we cooperate in allowing it, but that can be difficult to see or accept, and telling people so can drive them further away. The real reasons God does or allows something - we often don't really know. It can be more honest and better to say that if there is real dialogue.

It is true we ought not judge God, and we don't know. But when we toss out possible answers, not knowing, people can judge God by OUR answers, and that might not be something we want to make ourselves responsible for.

One thing that has helped me a great deal is something my priest shared with me some months ago. He said that he learned to look at people as sick and in need of healing. Our Tradition views sin in terms of a sickness that people need healing from anyway, and not as a legal infraction that people need to pay a penalty for. And when we go into a hospital and see people who are infirm, we don't tend to judge them for their limitations or how they respond because of their illness. Sin is the same way. Evil things happen to people, reaches into the depths of their hearts, and they react to the injury or illness caused by that. If we consider them like those people who are physically sick in the hospital, only they are spiritually sick and walking around among us, it is much easier to have compassion and mercy on them.

They just haven't found and taken the right medicine yet. May the Lord have mercy on them, and on us all.

Oh, and if I'm going to be upset by reading someone's responses .... I try not to read them. If it's not going to benefit anyone, let them have the last word. We ought to speak the truth in love, as we are able, but you can't beat people over the head with it. We can pray for them. But we have a responsibility to our own spirits as well, and getting angry over someone's words and escalating the situation isn't going to help them, or us, or anyone else who reads it.

God be with you. I hope I have not offended you. Please forgive me if I have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.