Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well one positive pro life step was made by Rep Dutton in Texas, who proposed that the state, when forcing women to have ultrasounds, pay the college tuition and healthcare of the child if through the ultrasound, she was convinced not to go ahead with the abortion and have the baby. I thought that was a good thing, providing real support to mothers and decreasing the number of abortions. As far as I know, the Republicans didn't flock to support this, and in fact didn't take it seriously.

Republicans spending money?

They still have their communion money. Well the Cathlic ones do...:D

I love the idea by the way...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟68,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's only fruitless if you let it be. If I have misinterpreted something you have every opportunity right now to correct it.

I was discussing, in particular, your statements about a 'support system'. What do you think needs to happen in terms of a 'support system'?

ok, then ,

lets get back to the point.

You bear the child or a rapist, you have a lifetime of serious issues.

How much are YOU willing to spend to help the women and families after the rapists child is born ?

And for how long ?

Do life issues get into your back pocket or not ?

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ok, then ,

How much are YOU willing to spend to help the women and families after the rapists child is born ?

And for how long ?

So your solution is the death penalty for the child? Kinda unfair, don't you think?

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ok, then , lets get back to the point. You bear the child or a rapist, you have a lifetime of serious issues. How much are YOU willing to spend to help the women and families after the rapists child is born ? And for how long ? Do life issues get into your back pocket or not ?
At the risk of sounding self-righteous, I'm willing to give monetary and non-monetary help. My wife and I make various types of donations to the local Catholic maternity home for girls, which helps pregnant young women ranging from teenage to college age who have either been raped or disowned or have made some poor choices and want to turn their lives around.

In addition to that, they are eligible for WIC and other types of support including health care from the state (we also receive such help.)

So when you say "there is like, no support for these mothers and children" I cannot take you seriously. My wife and I are nowhere near being saints, and there is a whole Church full of people holier than us who are surely helping people in need. In addition to that, there are programs from the state and federal government in place to help these mothers and their children. There is always going to be suffering, and there is always going to be room for improvement, but there is also always going to be the Church and people beside the Church there to help.

When it comes to money, the issue is that the government cannot pay for everyone's problems all of the time and in entirety. It is not sustainable or responsible. Debt is dangerous and reckless. We want to see people helped but we also want to see security for those same people.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He didn't say that.

Then what did he say was his solution? Don't recall him mentioning making use of Church on crises pregnancy centers. And I don't recall any idea of giving the baby up for adotption--if the mother doesn't want to keep it, of course.

But then again, the Guttenbacher Institute reports indicate that rape being the reason for abortion as a pretty small percentage...

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But then again, the Guttenbacher Institute reports ...

Oh yes, the Guttenbacher Institute.

I take it you mean Guttmacher, the same group that is universally lauded by pro-life groups for their alledgedly inaccurate statistical reports on abortion? Here's another chance for you to be an honest person - do you or do you not trust the Guttmacher Institute?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
MikeK,

Just out of curiosity, does agreeing with one bit of data, and using that data automatically necessitate the unreserved acceptance of the institute itself, and of all it may say?

Does using the data one agrees with automatically assume dishonesty if other data by the same institute is disagreed with?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MikeK,

Just out of curiosity, does agreeing with one bit of data, and using that data automatically necessitate the unreserved acceptance of the institute itself, and of all it may say?

Agreeing with bits of data that reinforce your beliefs or preferences while holding as suspect bits of date by the same researchers that do not reinforce your beliefs or preferences is intellectually dishonest.

Does using the data one agrees with automatically assume dishonesty if other data by the same institute is disagreed with?

If no further study is given to the matter? Yes. If one works with equal dilligence to determine the truth behind reposrts that oppose their beliefs as they do those that reinforce them, no.

I know the poster in question's inclinations pretty well.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ok, then ,

And for how long ?

One woman - the one who was given the rape drug - who kept her child had already used the schooling program in welfare reform and owned her own house at the time it happened. She did it on her own. And the other woman is married.... and her husband completely took the child as his own. Fortunately - the child will probably never have to know - even if he has serious health issues - and horrendous eye sight problems - they love him because he is theirs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agreeing with bits of data that reinforce your beliefs or preferences while holding as suspect bits of date by the same researchers that do not reinforce your beliefs or preferences is intellectually dishonest.

If no further study is given to the matter? Yes. If one works with equal dilligence to determine the truth behind reposrts that oppose their beliefs as they do those that reinforce them, no.

I know the poster in question's inclinations pretty well.
I figured there was more going on than an innocent question, that's why I asked. Thanks for the answer.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then what did he say was his solution?
Well he sure didn't say what you suggested, but I am curious as to what his solution is as well. I don't have a solution. Nobody has a solution besides God and his Mother. Everybody just has to put forth their best efforts.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well he sure didn't say what you suggested, but I am curious as to what his solution is as well. I don't have a solution. Nobody has a solution besides God and his Mother. Everybody just has to put forth their best efforts.

Where are these best efforts when people put forth ideas that would really help (but cost the taxpayer money) and they are ignored?

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well he sure didn't say what you suggested, but I am curious as to what his solution is as well.

Well since the situation is either "let the baby live" or "terminate the life through abortion" and the person seems to have a bunch of problems with letting the baby live, the obvious is that "or" choice. If it isn't I'd sure like to know what his solution might be. There isn't a third choice.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Of course it *is* possible that the link was just one that most liberals would support and the poster in question actually is using other research to support his beliefs. Therefore he is not being "intellectually dishonest" at all but it instead shows an understanding of his critics and a willingness to frame the argument to their understanding. Just a consideration.

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0