The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree that many members are moving from one Protestant denomination to a Pentecostal denomination. Is this a movement toward true spiritual Christianity, or is it related to other factors?

I would say other factors. I do not regard Pentecostal churches to be an authentic spiritual Christianity but rather take a view best articulated by Fr. Seraphim Rose in Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future, which was written before Pentecostalism arguably became worse with the “Toronto Blessing” and other disturbing new actions which in a best-case scenario, an absolute best-case, I would chalk up to mass hysteria or prelest (spiritual delusion).

I should state, without wishing to cause any offense, that my opinion of Pentecostal churches is one of actual fear: I do not wish to enter in them, and if offered the use of one for an Orthodox mission I would politely decline. I strongly advise all Christians to go elsewhere. Even to churches that I would ordinarily object to, such as extremely low church reformed Baptist parishes.

Now, I have a relative, by marriage, who is a retired Pentecostal minister who I quite like, and since I know him personally I would make an exception in his cases or certain others, where I know that nothing particularly untoward occurs, but from the long-established snake handling Pentecostals of the Appalachians, who have been around for many decades, to more recent developments, there is a lot in Pentecostalism and the related Charismatic movement which I personally react to with fear and horror. Perhaps they might react the same way to Orthodox worship. Although I will say even the most shall we way challenging aspect of Orthodoxy, the relics of the saints, cannot cause actual harm, whereas “being slain in the spirit” and dropping to the floor has the obvious potential for fall injuries, and handling venomous snakes and some other Appalachian practices is a very good way to get a life-changing injury or worse.

I would also argue that even the modern alleged “speaking of tongues” could be potentially hazardous in terms of mental health. In general, the signs and wonders Pentecostals and Charismatics seek are not a strong foundation for the Christian faith.

I would also add this is setting aside the more disturbing possibility raised by Fr. Seraphim Rose, which is that the spiritual activity in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is real, but the cause of it has been misidentified, and it is not of divine origin but rather is something altogether more unpleasant. This is in fact what most Orthodox theologians have discerned when examining the more unusual aspects of Pentecostal and Charismatic worship.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
from the long-established snake handling Pentecostals of the Appalachians, who have been around for many decades, to more recent developments, there is a lot in Pentecostalism and the related Charismatic movement which I personally react to with fear and horror.
I agree with much of what you wrote regarding strange phenomena that may take place in some Pentecostal churches. And I did read Fr. Seraphim Rose's book many years back. I also listened to other Orthodox preachers who warned of these manifestations and sometimes connected them with the end-time Antichrist.

But there are moderate Charismatic churches such as the Assemblies of God and some Charismatic Catholics and Anglicans. Perhaps your relative belongs to these groups.

Did John Wesley have an opinion regarding “speaking in tongues?”

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Did John Wesley have an opinion regarding “speaking in tongues?”

The phenomenon in its present form was first documented at the Azusa Street Revival in, i think, 1906, or thereabouts, in Los Angeles, which if I recall was founded as a pueblo in the 1780s while John Wesley was still alive, but obviously there was no contact there and I have no inclination to speculate as to what he would say about the practice.

On the other hand, I suspect Luther, Calvin, Cranmer, and Pope Pius V would be equally horrified. But perhaps not some of the Anabaptists or someone like George Fox, as indeed there is a certain parallel between the Azusa Street Revival and what was known as Enthusiasm (which Wesley was, I think falsely, accused of).

• Winner
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0