USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of the complaints I hear regarding Facebook (and from social media in general) come from people you know. Namely family and friends. They’re more opinionated than people using the platforms for professional reasons.

My feed consists of business associates, personal interests (non political), and a handful of female Christian leaders. They’re kind, encouraging, and drama free.

I don’t see debates, arguments, mudslinging, or politics. And I avoid people who attract controversy or contention. They tend to draw followers of the same stripe and threads become a free for all.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the complaints I hear regarding Facebook (and from social media in general) come from people you know. Namely family and friends. They’re more opinionated than people using the platforms for professional reasons.

My feed consists of business associates, personal interests (non political), and a handful of female Christian leaders. They’re kind, encouraging, and drama free.

I don’t see debates, arguments, mudslinging, or politics. And I avoid people who attract controversy or contention. They tend to draw followers of the same stripe and threads become a free for all.
I’d say the most irksome things I see are posts like “Share if you love Jesus, ignore If you love the devil.” Or “If you don’t share this post, Jesus will pass over you on Judgement Day.” I don’t share stuff a lot, in fact I hardly ever like anything. I also have undiagnosed OCD, and posts like that used to bother me a lot, not that they don’t still.

• Agree
Reactions: .Mikha'el.
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,104.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I’d say the most irksome things I see are posts like “Share if you love Jesus, ignore If you love the devil.” Or “If you don’t share this post, Jesus will pass over you on Judgement Day.” I don’t share stuff a lot, in fact I hardly ever like anything. I also have undiagnosed OCD, and posts like that use to bother me a lot, not that they don’t still.

What's scary to me is how many people fall for that nonsense.

• Agree
Reactions: TenthAveN
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟154,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it's best to stick around the people you are closest to and you truly trust. It's good to get to know people so you can spend time with the ones who you know are going to be fine and avoid the ones who cause trouble. I know the painful and upsetting feeling of being dumped or betrayed by people who seemed like good friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’d say the most irksome things I see are posts like “Share if you love Jesus, ignore If you love the devil.” Or “If you don’t share this post, Jesus will pass over you on Judgement Day.”

I’ve never seen that. I made a decision to keep all personal connections (family and friends) off social media. For their privacy and to avoid problems like doxing.

I don’t follow controversial subjects or like posts about them. That encourages the algorithm to send more of the same.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're right, I think it's best to stick around the people you are closest to and you truly trust. It's good to get to know people so you can spend time with the ones who you know are going to be fine and avoid the ones who cause trouble. I know the painful and upsetting feeling of being dumped or betrayed by people who seemed like good friends.

I limit my connections to professional peers. They’re people I met in paid programs whose behavior I observed elsewhere before friending. I know why they’re using the platform and personal details about their lives and business. When random strangers send requests I decline them.

On venues like CF, I’m less restrictive. I’m not exposing myself in the same measure or threatening my livelihood.

However, I think it takes a long time to really know someone. Especially on this medium. If our conversations didn’t move beyond this space I wouldn’t call them a friend. Acquaintance? Maybe.

Friends are people you share your life with. Ups and downs. Laughter and tears. And they do the same. Above all, they want to be in your life. You’re connected intimately.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just saw this...

Twitter launches crowdsourced fact-checking portal 'Birdwatch'

Twitter announced a new crowdsourced fact-checking initiative called "Birdwatch" Monday. The idea is that everyday Twitter users will be able to add contextual notes to tweets they think are misleading or contain misinformation.

@essentialsaltes you may want to post this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,169,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is interesting to note how hard my heart has gotten this past decade. Before I was emotionally sensitive easily able to feel other's pain. Now it's hard for me to feel moved by something. A combination of life experiences and understanding my own psychology and wanting to be different has stemmed these changes.

I think I like this better. I make a fool of myself less. Currently I'm training myself to be more stoic. Even when engaging with issues I am passionate about. In many ways I want to be the absolute reverse of what I was when I was younger.. although I guess the black and white/extreme thinking still persists if that's the case.. lol.

I'm curious as to what the potential limits of personal change is.. I am someone who is more on the genetic determinism side.. and my old ways will still be there.. albeit a different mask.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently got back on FB. I regret it already. I only have like 50 friends this time around and they're already starting to annoy me. I'm not a misanthrope, so I don't know what's wrong with me. I just want to see something funny or informative.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,169,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently got back on FB. I regret it already. I only have like 50 friends this time around and they're already starting to annoy me. I'm not a misanthrope, so I don't know what's wrong with me. I just want to see something funny or informative.

Yeah.. it's sad to see some friends get so uncomfortably political... lol.. especially when they have really bad takes.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah.. it's sad to see some friends get so uncomfortably political... lol.. especially when they have really bad takes.

So true. That's exactly what it is. "Look, Jim Bob, I know you. You were in remedial math. There's no shame in it, but please spare me your analysis of our economic perils."

• Haha
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,169,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So true. That's exactly what it is. "Look, Jim Bob, I know you. You were in remedial math. There's no shame in it, but please spare me your analysis of our economic perils."

I hate it when a guy you know in real life is so cheerful and carefree.. then you talk to him online and he's ranting crazy right-wing stuff.

Maybe I have it completely wrong.. but I tend to like to have shallow relationships with people in real life.. and more deep ones with strangers online I'll most likely never meet.. lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're right, I think it's best to stick around the people you are closest to and you truly trust. It's good to get to know people so you can spend time with the ones who you know are going to be fine and avoid the ones who cause trouble. I know the painful and upsetting feeling of being dumped or betrayed by people who seemed like good friends.

Well... Little husky...We meet again.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Clean your feed. Follow the topics you enjoy and checkout their updates when desired. You don’t have to see everything they post.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟289,698.00
Faith
Christian

Entrepreneur
:chartingup::chartingup::chartingup::chartingup::chartingup::chartingup::chartingup:
"Living the dream life"
"Rise and Grind"
"Go big or go home"
:memo: = :moneybag:
"I'd rather be put to the task than leave it to someone else"

^ Something to that effect? Or are they still flexing holiday snaps to make out as if they travel all the time?

• Haha
Upvote 0