What to do if one of your Christian Children were homosexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I personally don't think people are born that way but this argument eventually ends with both sides agreeing to disagree. I don't know what specific actions I would take other than bluntly telling them that this is sinful and forbidden. I do not sugar coat things like this because I think it is our duty to speak the truth and provide two clear options. They can choose God or their sins. If I do this then my obligation has been fulfilled and the choice would be up to them.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So, my wife and I were debating the other day that when we are blessed with our children, would we would do if one of our children was homosexual.

I do not believe homosexuality to be a choice. I do believe it to be a sexual orientation that someone is born with. Perhaps as one of the trials that the Lord sets up for us when we're born? However, I also do believe it to be against God and a sin in his eyes. So, I don't know... my stance on homosexuality is very confusing because homosexuality in itself and what causes it is so confusing. I wasn't born bisexual or gay in any form so I have NO clue what it's like. I do however know what it's like to be born not "normal" and what it's like to be shunned by a majority of society. It sucks.

I'm definitely against Gay marriage but, only because they call it marriage and marriage should be between a man and a woman. Call it civil union or whatever and not a godly union such as Marriage and I'd sign the bill (if I was a member of congress).

Anyway, back on topic. We both want to raise our children as Christians. So, this raises the problem. How do we keep them in the Christian faith when... they can't help or control their sexual feelings and a majority of Christians will judge them for being homosexual or in a homosexual relationship? Encourage them to practice celibacy? But, that feels wrong to deny them the right to be happy with someone. Because, I do believe that homosexual couples love each other and are happy.

We don't want our children to hate or resent us or hate or resent God because they are different than everyone else and are experiencing thoughts and emotions that they cannot control. That's why a majority of homosexuals turn away from God in the first place. There has to be a way for homosexuals to live happy lives and be Christian at the same time.

I mean, I can encourage them to be in a relationship with someone but, pray everyday for God to forgive them But, that goes against my own personal religious beliefs. Usually when I'm confronted with a sin I try to not keep doing it. If I encouraged my homosexual child to be happy in a homosexual relationship they wouldn't really be trying to stop the sin they're committing and how would that effect their souls or their Christian faith?

I do not want to be one of those Christians who abandon homosexuals and I definitely wouldn't abandon my children for being homosexual or different in any way so, I'm not afraid of that and I do not think that abandoning your children because they're gay is not a good thing.

I just... don't know. Why does this very topic have to be so controversial and confusing?

To start with, there is a difference between someone who is attracted to people of the same gender and someone who has sex with someone of the same gender, just as the is a difference between someone with alcoholism who is tempted to get drunk and someone who gets drunk. We all struggle with the temptation to sin, but the sin is always in the actions we choose, not in the temptation to do them.

If advertising didn't influence our desires, then a whole lot of people are wasting a ton of money. If someone grew up in an environment where they had gay parents, gay friends, gay role models, and were encouraged to have gay relationships while homosexual relationships were discouraged, then I would be very surprised if they didn't have a greater likelihood of being gay. However, the proof that homosexuality is not just something that you are born with is that people have had their orientation changed, so I think it is caused by a combination of both nurture and nature. However, even if being gay were purely genetic, then someone still has the choice of whether to sin through their actions, just like alcoholism is genetic and alcoholics still have the choice of whether to get drunk. They might think that getting drunk will make them very happy, just as we might think that other sins will make us happy, but something making us happy does not change something that is wrong into something that is right. God knows the right way for us to live and has give commands to His people for how to do so, so we should have faith in God by putting obedience to His commands above our own desires.

Reactions: Paul.
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

What definition of the word homosexuality as it appears in 1 Corinthians 6:9, is being used there?

LOVE,

αρσενοκοιται

arsenokoitēs
ar-sen-ok-oy'-tace
a sodomite: - abuser of (that defile) self with mankind.

Homosexuality is a legitimate translation here. Paul would have understood what homosexuality is. Please don't go down the road of Vines and Bronson claiming that what Paul understood as homosexuality at that time is different than what homosexuality is today, if you do, you are following after a lie. As a matter of fact, homosexuality today is more than likely far more perverse and depraved than it was in the time of Paul.

And if homosexuality (two men "loving" each other, or two women "loving" each other) was righteous, then they would have not need to rescued by God from it. And there can be no mistake that used "such were some of you", not "such are some of you".

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they continue in a habitual unrepentant practice of sin, they are demonstrating that they are not His.

Have you ever come across a scripture in the N.T. that says that if any brother is a fornicator that he is not a brother then? All I see is the command to withdraw from fellowship with them to admonish them as brothers into repentance.

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. 18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

So how we build on that foundation is key; if we sow to the works of the flesh, we shall reap corruption; if we sow to the fruits of the Spirit, we reap life everlasting; that life everlasting is being received as a vessel unto honor in His House or risk being a castaway for not looking to Him for help in departing from iniquity at the pre trib rapture event when God judges His House first.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

So those professing believers that do not look to Him for help to depart from iniquity are the vessels unto dishonor in His House that will be left behind to face the coming fire on the earth ad the subsequent great tribulation, but they will be received later on after the great tribulation as vessels unto dishonor in His House..

1 Corinthians 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Even when a brother that has fallen away from the faith and is wicked & unreasonable, following not after the traditions taught of us and are disorderly, we are commanded to not treat them as the enemy, but withdraw from them to admonish them as brothers still in the hopes that they will be led to repent.

2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. 4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. 5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;...........14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

These are verses that clearly shows not condemning an unrepentant professing believers as if he is not our brother, but an enemy as if he was never saved.

The books of 1 John & 2 John are for guidance towards discerning those that are abiding in Him from those that are not, so new believers shall know who to have fellowship with and who to follow as an example, trusting always Jesus as their Good Shepherd to guide them through the Holy Spirit in them.

Scripture cannot go against scripture. We are not to condemn professing believers as if they were never saved. It is because they are professing Him that they are saved and why they should look to Jesus for help as their Good Shepherd to destroy the works of the devil in their lives to set them free.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Romans 6:10 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Better to see them as the least of the brethren in need of admonishment rather than as the enemy because that is how we are taught to judge; which is to correct; not to condemn as if they were never His.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And God designed everyone to be heterosexual, not homosexual.
I doubt you will be able to defend this claim Biblically, at least in the properly nuanced sense. Yes, I would agree that, Biblically, the "initial design" of humanity is presented in Genesis (allegorically, I believe, but that is not really central to the argument) as entailing a heterosexual orientation. But then the fall happened and all creation is changed. So I do not see how you can rule out the possibility that an innate homosexual orientation is a product of the fall, and not a willful choice that someone makes. Furthermore, it does seem rather implausible that someone would simply "choose" to adopt a homosexual inclination, given all the heat such a person would then end up taking, even in the somewhat more tolerant world of 2016.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

What definition of the word homosexuality as it appears in 1 Corinthians 6:9, is being used there?

LOVE,

Here is where homosexuality comes from in according to the scripture.

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. King James Version (KJV)

There is no way any one can read that without it reproving homosexuality as something that comes about because sinners were loving the creature more than the Creator.

Masturbation is also a sin. Many believers do not believe masturbation falls under the sin of uncleanness, but it does. Just as any fornication does too.

This is why we need Jesus as our Good Shepherd and not just as our Savior. We are defrauding our brothers & sister in Christ when we do not warn them that they will be left behind at the pre trib rapture event unless they look to the author & finisher of our faith to help them lay aside every weight & sin in running that race to be received as a vessel unto honor in His House to attend the Marriage Supper.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: 4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; 5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:

Hebrews 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Hebrews 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

So let's stop empathizing with those that are not resisting sin and lift their sights higher to the One that can destroy the work of the devil in their lives.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Romans 6:10For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt you will be able to defend this claim Biblically, at least in the properly nuanced sense. Yes, I would agree that, Biblically, the "initial design" of humanity is presented in Genesis (allegorically, I believe, but that is not really central to the argument) as entailing a heterosexual orientation. But then the fall happened and all creation is changed. So I do not see how you can rule out the possibility that an innate homosexual orientation is a product of the fall, and not a willful choice that someone makes. Furthermore, it does seem rather implausible that someone would simply "choose" to adopt a homosexual inclination, given all the heat such a person would then end up taking, even in the somewhat more tolerant world of 2016.

Genesis 1:26-28 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." (27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (28) And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Homosexuals have no ability to "Be fruitful and multiply", in the time of Genesis or today. Two males do not produce life and two females do not produce life. Thus God created man and woman to be heterosexual.

Affirmed by Jesus:

Matthew 19:4-6 He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, (5) and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? (6) So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

Further expounded in Romans:

Romans 1:24-27 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, (25) because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (26) For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; (27) and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

------
"given all the heat such a person would then end up taking"

Homosexuality (like all sin) is not a rational choice. But the unregenerate person's nature is to love sin. Additionally, homosexuals deal with a lot of shame. But this is not because Christians are heaping on them. It is because their conscience is calling out to them the immorality of their sexual sin. But homosexuals are suppressing this. And at some point God gives them over to their love of their sin.

----------------
"even in the somewhat more tolerant world of 2016"

I don't see anywhere in the Bible where God commands us to pursue "tolerance". The pursuit of tolerance logically ends in the allowance and support of all manners of evil. Because if you say rape is wrong, you are being "intolerant" in the rapist's view. If you say murder is wrong, you are being "intolerant" in the murderer's view.

The ideal to pursue is truth, not tolerance. And the end of truth is God.

God does command us to love one another, but if you love someone you will warn them with all your ability when they are in grave danger. Love does not say to one who is about to step off of a very high cliff, "It is a beautiful day!" and while not warning them about the cliff that they are about to step off. No, love warns them "Stop! Turn around! You're about to step off a cliff and fall to your death!", love even grabs them and pulls them back from the edge if need be.

Love and tolerance are not synonymous. And disagreement and intolerance are most certainly not the same thing. You can completely disagree with someone and still love them and speak truth to them. It is not "intolerant" to tell someone that they are wrong when it comes to God's truth.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:26-28 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." (27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (28) And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Homosexuals have no ability to "Be fruitful and multiply", in the time of Genesis or today. Two males do not produce life and two females do not produce life. Thus God created man and woman to be heterosexual.
Please read my post more closely. I affirmed that the original "pre-fall" plan was as you say. But the fall did happen and it is entirely plausible that one of the consequences of the fall is that some people are born with an innate homosexual orientation.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Affirmed by Jesus:

Matthew 19:4-6 He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, (5) and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? (6) So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."
Again, this only affirms what God's initial plan was. But then humanity fell and, again, it is therefore plausible that one result of this is that some people are born with an innate homosexual inclination.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Further expounded in Romans:

Romans 1:24-27 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, (25) because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (26) For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; (27) and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
I am not sure what your point is. I have simply argued that the fact of the fall means that it is plausible that some people are "born gay". In saying that, I am not saying that it is not sinful to express those desires through actual activity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Homosexuality (like all sin) is not a rational choice. But the unregenerate person's nature is to love sin. Additionally, homosexuals deal with a lot of shame. But this is not because Christians are heaping on them. It is because their conscience is calling out to them the immorality of their sexual sin. But homosexuals are suppressing this. And at some point God gives them over to their love of their sin.
Once more, I do not see how this is relevant to the assertion that the fall of man could have resulted in some people being born with a homosexual inclination. In saying that, I am not, obviously, saying its ok to act out those inclinations.

I don't see anywhere in the Bible where God commands us to pursue "tolerance". The pursuit of tolerance logically ends in the allowance and support of all manners of evil. Because if you say rape is wrong, you are being "intolerant" in the rapist's view. If you say murder is wrong, you are being "intolerant" in the murderer's view.
I wrote nothing in my post that would justify a conclusion that I am advocating tolerance.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would love my child, and struggle along with them. I would be scared for them - many reasons for that too. I'm a sinner, and so are my children. So are all of us. I would pray for clarity on the subject, and on the approach. Life is hard enough, and they were given to me (my children) as a blessing from God. I would find ways of continuing to treat them as such.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, my wife and I were debating the other day that when we are blessed with our children, would we would do if one of our children was homosexual.

I do not believe homosexuality to be a choice. I do believe it to be a sexual orientation that someone is born with.

Well, then, you haven't been keeping up with the research into homosexuality and its causes. What the research is revealing more and more is that homosexuality is a psycho-social phenomenon, not a genetic one. Family, culture, personality, friends - these all have far more to do with a person choosing homosexuality than anything biological. Geneticists have known for decades now that genes do not exert direct control over a person's behaviour. This is certainly true with homosexuality. So, right off you've got the wrong end of the stick in what you believe about homosexuality. Let me ask you this: If homosexuality is genetic, how is it passed on? Homosexuals don't typically reproduce. Since homosexuality is antagonistic, biologically-speaking, to reproduction, it should have been selected out of the human population long, long ago. But it keeps flaring up. And that's because it isn't a genetic occurrence, but a pscyho-social one. Here's another question: In some Muslim countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the Arab Emirates in particular) there are places where over 50% of the men engage in sodomy and homosexual practices but none of the women do. If homosexuality were just a matter of genetics, why isn't there parity between the men and the women in regards to homosexuality in these places? The answer, I think, is pretty obvious - and in accord with what the research is establishing: homosexuality is not primarily biological in origin.

So, I don't know... my stance on homosexuality is very confusing because homosexuality in itself and what causes it is so confusing. I wasn't born bisexual or gay in any form so I have NO clue what it's like. I do however know what it's like to be born not "normal" and what it's like to be shunned by a majority of society. It sucks.

Homosexuality is not confusing at all -- if you believe the Bible. Paul the apostle wrote,

Romans 1:22-27
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.
27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

When men and women turn from God to make themselves and the things they desire their chief concern, "vile passions" result. It's that simple. I can understand that you have some sympathy for the homosexual person who is ostracized, but these days I don't see that this is the common experience of the homosexual person. Instead, I see homosexuals flaunting their perversion quite openly and bullying any who don't accept and celebrate their sin.

Anyway, back on topic. We both want to raise our children as Christians. So, this raises the problem. How do we keep them in the Christian faith when... they can't help or control their sexual feelings and a majority of Christians will judge them for being homosexual or in a homosexual relationship?

A very fundamental part of being a Christian, a disciple of Christ, is entering into a relationship with God whereby He transforms the Christian such that they become more and more a reflection of Jesus in how they live. Consequently, God is not looking to accommodate our sin. He says to the alcoholic, "Turn from your addiction and live under my control." He says to the adulterer, "Cease your sin and surrender your life to me." And He says to the homosexual, "Repent of your vile behaviour and walk rightly with your Maker." If you think you can be a disciple of Christ and carry on in the way you might be inclined to carry on, you don't understand what it means to be a Christian. Jesus calls all of his followers to die to themselves, to their inclinations and desires, and to follow him:

Luke 9:23-24
23 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

Doing things our way is antithetical to the call of Christ. Being his disciple requires we set aside whatever proclivities, and desires, and goals we might have and be a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God. (Ro. 12:1) This is what it means to be a Christian.

Christ's call to his disciples, to Christians, to deny themselves is predicated upon the truth that they can deny themselves - however strong their selfish, sinful impulses may be. The genuine Christian in whom the Holy Spirit lives has, in the Person of God's Spirit, all they need to deny themselves and follow Christ. So, the idea that homosexual's impulses are just too strong to be denied is a false one for the genuinely saved person. One who is born-again by God's Spirit, one who is truly saved and thus a genuine child of God, has the power of the God of the Universe residing within them and thus is without excuse in following the commands of their Saviour and Lord.

We don't want our children to hate or resent us or hate or resent God because they are different than everyone else and are experiencing thoughts and emotions that they cannot control. That's why a majority of homosexuals turn away from God in the first place. There has to be a way for homosexuals to live happy lives and be Christian at the same time.

Two things: 1.) The Bible is crystal clear that anyone living in a homosexual manner will not enter into God's kingdom. 2.) God is not primarily interested in our happiness. What is far more important is that we are holy, and faithful, and loving, and true, and patient and just. And often in shaping in us these things, God will sacrifice our happiness.

I do not want to be one of those Christians who abandon homosexuals and I definitely wouldn't abandon my children for being homosexual or different in any way so, I'm not afraid of that and I do not think that abandoning your children because they're gay is not a good thing.

Refusing homosexual sin doesn't mean you must abandon the homosexual sinner. Churches are filled with gossips, liars, thieves, the lustful and selfish. But they are walking with God and letting Him put to death their sin and transform them into Christ's pure and holy likeness. This is no less the case for the homosexual. Church is where they need to be. Not to be accommodated in their sin but to be freed from it.

Selah.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

I do not believe homosexuality to be a choice. I do believe it to be a sexual orientation that someone is born with. Perhaps as one of the trials that the Lord sets up for us when we're born? However, I also do believe it to be against God and a sin in his eyes. So, I don't know... my stance on homosexuality is very confusing because homosexuality in itself and what causes it is so confusing. I wasn't born bisexual or gay in any form so I have NO clue what it's like. I do however know what it's like to be born not "normal" and what it's like to be shunned by a majority of society. It sucks.

I'm definitely against Gay marriage but, only because they call it marriage and marriage should be between a man and a woman. Call it civil union or whatever and not a godly union such as Marriage and I'd sign the bill (if I was a member of congress).

Anyway, back on topic. We both want to raise our children as Christians. So, this raises the problem. How do we keep them in the Christian faith when... they can't help or control their sexual feelings and a majority of Christians will judge them for being homosexual or in a homosexual relationship? Encourage them to practice celibacy? But, that feels wrong to deny them the right to be happy with someone. Because, I do believe that homosexual couples love each other and are happy.

I mean, I can encourage them to be in a relationship with someone but, pray everyday for God to forgive them But, that goes against my own personal religious beliefs. Usually when I'm confronted with a sin I try to not keep doing it. If I encouraged my homosexual child to be happy in a homosexual relationship they wouldn't really be trying to stop the sin they're committing and how would that effect their souls or their Christian faith?

I just... don't know. Why does this very topic have to be so controversial and confusing?

I would do nothing. I would do nothing in the sense that I would not treat my son or daughter any different if they were great or straight, but still love and support them. On the other hand, I would do everything for my child. I would move churches, schools, even straight up move schools if my son or daughter was not welcomed for being gay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fromtheAsh

That one girl from that one website.
May 31, 2012
South Dakota
✟9,766.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged

The first thing that I would actually do is make sure my child is gay, especially if it was my daughter. I'd do so to make sure she is not just wanting to be like her moms. Other than that, I wouldn't treat my child any different.

Upvote 0

Jasrocaby

Nov 12, 2015
✟7,715.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The Catholic Church’s view on Homosexuality can be found by following this link http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P83.HTM and no one is damning anyone to hell

I’ll try to summarize, but you should investigate yourself.

Basically it comes down to man-woman-marriage-joined as one-fruitful and multiply.

This can’t happen in a same sex situation.

The other thing that is included for ALL is Chastity, whether married or not, man or woman. The marital act ( we call it sex today) was not created as a toy, game, entertainment or a way to feel good. It was given to us to become one and create life, so even in marriage, if what we do to each other (or ourselves) is not open to create life it is considered sinful.

Therefore it is not having Same Sex Attraction that is sinful, it is the sexual activity (which is not unitive or procreative) that the Church considers sinful, as they would for anybody

I won’t speak for other Christian denominations because I am not familiar with their beliefs.

To make sure I haven’t messed up I do recommend going to the website.

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

IN BRIEF

2392 "Love is the fundamental and innate vocation of every human being" (FC 11).

2393 By creating the human being man and woman, God gives personal dignity equally to the one and the other. Each of them, man and woman, should acknowledge and accept his sexual identity.

2394 Christ is the model of chastity. Every baptized person is called to lead a chaste life, each according to his particular state of life.

2395 Chastity means the integration of sexuality within the person. It includes an apprenticeship in self-mastery.

2396 Among the sins gravely contrary to chastity are masturbation, fornication, inappropriate contentography, and homosexual practices.

2397 The covenant which spouses have freely entered into entails faithful love. It imposes on them the obligation to keep their marriage indissoluble.

2398 Fecundity is a good, a gift and an end of marriage. By giving life, spouses participate in God's fatherhood.

2399 The regulation of births represents one of the aspects of responsible fatherhood and motherhood. Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception).

2400 Adultery, divorce, polygamy, and free union are grave offenses against the dignity of marriage.

Upvote 0

W_McCarthy

Aug 31, 2015
✟19,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Participating in homosexuality with another individual is a choice, but I don't really believe that having homosexual desires is a choice. I can attest to this only because I have had bisexual desires ever since I was young. Praise the Lord that I saw the errors of this and turned from it. I definitely don't practice this, but I did once, and the desires have still arose at times. I'm not sure exactly what the bible says about this other than that it is wrong.

My great uncle is married to a man, but I still love him. If your child became addicted to heroine, or was practicing fornication, was a pathological liar, you would still love them, but you would probably also pray for them throughout the day and definitely let them know what they are doing is wrong.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Homosexual thoughts come from the kingdom of darkness under Satan. More specifically, through demons and how they are able to interject thoughts into our minds.
As the parent you will have authority over your children, so you would simply speak out loud to the enemy and shut him down.
This really works. I used this with a daughter who was being influenced by an ungodly boy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.