What is "White Privilege" in american politics and law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s. This system will take many generations to dismantle. It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do. Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people realize that then they might do something about it.

Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s.

A lot has changed in the last 50 years. If you haven’t noticed, take a quick look around you

This system will take many generations to dismantle.

The system you speak of has already been dismantled.

It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do.

The reason they got rid of the Jim Crow laws is because they recognized there was a problem

Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing.

So do you. If you can’t then you are in the wrong neighborhood.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would think white people should have every right to say they are tired of being expected to apologize for being white. And for all manner of colored conflicts that are part of a history they had no part in.

There's a documentary which is basically an all out cradling of white guilt, called "White People".
I have abandoned that channel altogether because I don't want to even in the slightest degree support something so ridiculous.

It's frustrating, because these people on the show are victims. They have been brought into believing that they are unworthy of criticizing and that their opinion is second to others. Instead of making objective observations, they just engage in a montage of guilt or feeling sorry for themselves.
And that's why I said, it's pathetic. Literally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Of course, many white people are going to deny white privilege exists, because (1) It causes conflict, which could threaten their dominant position in this country and all of the social and economic privileges attached to it, and (2) Its reality pricks their conscience, producing guilt and shame, which in turn, produces anger and the defensive retaliation at the mere mention of the term. It seems many of them have become accustomed to being the "top dogs" and they don't want to lose that position and prestige. After all, this country was founded on racism, white supremacy, white nationalism, and white privilege. It has been racist and oppressive of its Indigenous and minority people since before its inception and not a lot has changed since then. I think many white Americans don't want to lose their dominance in this country or even allow any minority people to be seen as superior to them. And for the record, I said many white Americans (KKK for example), which doesn't mean all white Americans are the same way.
Way to poisoning the well by setting up a false dichotomy.

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Way to poisoning the well by setting up a false dichotomy.

Actually it isn't false.

I talked to different white people I know about their feelings on white privilege, and part of what I said was based on some of the answers they gave me.

They weren't afraid to admit that white privilege exists or afraid to admit that they themselves may have benefited from it some time in their life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Why do you assume someone's culture needs to change?

K

I don't. Someone just told me "their" culture has to change. Not my culture, not ours. I'm trying to find out why that is, and what a perfect, or acceptable culture looks like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I would think white people should have every right to say they are tired of being expected to apologize for being white. And for all manner of colored conflicts that are part of a history they had no part in.

Certainly not while non-white people have not bothered to apologize for not being white.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Why would anyone apologize for their race? Why would we expect anyone to?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't expect anyone to apologize for their race. But I do think it would be more honorable to admit that white privilege actually does exist in this country, even to a certain degree, and that white people often do and can benefit socially and economically in this country just for being white.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My grandmother came to this country from Mexico when she was under 10 years old, studied and worked hard, got a degree from a medical school in San Francisco back in the 1940s, and spent over 40 years working as a school nurse, treating kids of all colors, backgrounds, and economic levels. Still some people who think that I must be in agreement with them because I'm light skinned want to use people like my grandmother as evidence that brown people are coming here and 'taking our jobs'. Y'know...because there was a white school nurse who didn't get her job back in the 1940s because my grandmother, a brown person, 'took' it. That's not white privilege (that's just some people being morons), but this is: The fact that because I am lighter-skinned than she was, I don't have to deal with people's ingrained prejudices against Hispanic people (particularly Mexicans, in much of the USA). I get to 'opt out' of experiencing racism entirely because of the color of my skin. It can't be based on other things, because we're in the same family. That's white privilege: if you're white and you speak Spanish and like what white people consider 'ethnic' food, they'll assume you're really cultured. "Ooo, he must've traveled a lot! He must be from Spain! Ooo, European!" No. I'm from the USA, but my grandmother's from Mexico. "Oh, you don't LOOK Mexican!" (Which always means "You're not brown!", but they're too cowardly to come out and say it.) Meanwhile, if you're brown and you speak Spanish and eat weird food and all that jazz, you're not assimilating enough, you're some kind of threat or economic parasite, you're obviously unpatriotic, maybe you're dirty or criminal, you're obviously 'illegal', etc.

That's white privilege right there, and you bet it matters when it comes to making good impressions on people...well, racist people. But racist people often have things that other people need, so...yes, I am definitely a beneficiary of white privilege. It's nothing against me as an individual white person (something a lot of people in this thread don't seem to be understanding), but is definitely an indictment of the society as a whole which would treat me differently -- better -- than another person with virtually the same background, same skill set, etc. In the words of comedian Louie CK (another white Mexican, oddly enough) "it's not that white people are better, but being white is clearly better...if you don't admit being white is better, you're an ______! If it were an option, I'd re-up every year! 'Yes, I will take white again, thank you!'"

Admit it, fellow white people. Just admit it. Admitting it is the first step to helping make it so that being treated fairly isn't a privilege, to paraphrase another poster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other thing people must realize is we are seeing more people being killed by cops because of technology. As in theres so many kinds of devices now that people can record video now so it just appears to be more bad stuff going on. Its just like people seem to think there are more accidents now. its only because we see more videos now because technology has made things easy to record video. And facts are whites are killed just as often by cops too. Today a white teen was shot in the back and killed by a cop. But its not made the main news. WHy? Because the medias main job is to cause chaos. They talk about the black deaths so they make things look worse then they are. If they talked about the white deaths, asian deaths, latino deaths...etc then blacks would have nothing to say because they would see they are not targeted by cops.

I said it doens't mean racism doesn't exist or that people don't stereotype people like asians are smart, latinos are illegals...etc. But for the most part everything is fine. BTW wouldn't saying whites have a privilege technically stereotyping? I mean my card has not got me anything. Disabled, considered poor, get harassment and prejudice because I don't look disabled. Have weight issues...etc. So white privilege is not real. No one will change my mind on that. When my life becomes amazing I will admit to privilege. Until then my card must be expired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peterthepebble

Sep 29, 2004
✟15,299.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
The other thing people must realize is we are seeing more people being killed by cops because of technology. As in theres so many kinds of devices now that people can record video now so it just appears to be more bad stuff going on. Its just like people seem to think there are more accidents now. its only because we see more videos now because technology has made things easy to record video. And facts are whites are killed just as often by cops too. Today a white teen was shot in the back and killed by a cop. But its not made the main news. WHy? Because the medias main job is to cause chaos. They talk about the black deaths so they make things look worse then they are. If they talked about the white deaths, asian deaths, latino deaths...etc then blacks would have nothing to say because they would see they are not targeted by cops.

I guess when I posted this and other links it went unnoticed as it wouldn't fit the narrative that some people on here are trying to create. It doesn't fit in with their oppression olympics.
Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

I said it doens't mean racism doesn't exist or that people don't stereotype people like asians are smart, latinos are illegals...etc. But for the most part everything is fine. BTW wouldn't saying whites have a privilege technically stereotyping? I mean my card has not got me anything. Disabled, considered poor, get harassment and prejudice because I don't look disabled. Have weight issues...etc. So white privilege is not real. No one will change my mind on that. When my life becomes amazing I will admit to privilege. Until then my card must be expired.

That's part of the problem though, is many in this radicalized left group are trying to convince people that racism is only when it's committed by white people. They honestly believe that non-white people can't be racist. This is why people have simply tuned out. It's no different than listening to the incoherent ramblings of a crazy person.

Upvote 0

Peterthepebble

Sep 29, 2004
✟15,299.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I guess when I posted this and other links it went unnoticed as it wouldn't fit the narrative that some people on here are trying to create. It doesn't fit in with their oppression olympics.

That's part of the problem though, is many in this radicalized left group are trying to convince people that racism is only when it's committed by white people. They honestly believe that non-white people can't be racist. This is why people have simply tuned out. It's no different than listening to the incoherent ramblings of a crazy person.

Yes I read your link about whites being shot more than blacks and its true. However in the context of size of population the article also asserts:
Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct,” said PolitiFact.

But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.

“Yes, more whites than blacks die as a result of an encounter with police, but whites also represent a much bigger chunk of the total population,” PolitiFact said in its Aug. 21 post.

and this conclusive fact also:

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

So true and false at the same time depending on your perspective..

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe that Anglo culture, in general, is destructive to non-Anglo whites. Latin Culture groups treated the natives really poorly, but after some time they at least treated the native people as "human", the diversity of many Latin American countries today shows that there was more tolerance to natives and Africans then in other places. Anglo culture however, wiped out the natives of North America and gave slaves no civil rights. At least slaves in Latin America had a decent chance of buying their freedom, some were paid small stipends, and almost all had a right to go to church.

I think that contemporary "American" culture still has many Anglo values in it.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Yet I expect if you belong to one of these groups you want White Privilege to continue and harken back to the glory days of the KKK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:White_supremacist_groups_in_the_United_States

http://people.missouristate.edu/michaelcarlie/storage/white_supremacist_groups.htm

I suppose
Yes I read your link about whites being shot more than blacks and its true. However in the context of size of population the article also asserts:
Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct,” said PolitiFact.

But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.

“Yes, more whites than blacks die as a result of an encounter with police, but whites also represent a much bigger chunk of the total population,” PolitiFact said in its Aug. 21 post.

and this conclusive fact also:

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

So true and false at the same time depending on your perspective..
Looking at things from a "size of population" pov, then how can we ignore that black people also commit more serious crimes (ie murder) despite making up only around 13% of the population? [X]
Whether it's the 'gangsta music' culture or not, but for far too many black people in America, "street cred" is all that matters. I believe even Charles Barkley criticized this with regards to the Seahawks QB who was criticized for acting too white by some in his locker room...oh and then Barkley was quickly labeled an uncle Tom.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Actually it isn't false.

I talked to different white people I know about their feelings on white privilege, and part of what I said was based on some of the answers they gave me.

They weren't afraid to admit that white privilege exists or afraid to admit that they themselves may have benefited from it some time in their life.
Sorry, but no, you falsely assume that everyone have the same settlements based on your anecdotal evidence.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I believe that Anglo culture, in general, is destructive to non-Anglo whites. Latin Culture groups treated the natives really poorly, but after some time they at least treated the native people as "human", the diversity of many Latin American countries today shows that there was more tolerance to natives and Africans then in other places. Anglo culture however, wiped out the natives of North America and gave slaves no civil rights. At least slaves in Latin America had a decent chance of buying their freedom, some were paid small stipends, and almost all had a right to go to church.

I think that contemporary "American" culture still has many Anglo values in it.
Isn't Christianity arguably a major influence though, or rather it's certain Christian sect (can't recall that it's Catholic or Protestant though)?

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, but no, you falsely assume that everyone have the same settlements based on your anecdotal evidence.

No, I said, and I repeat, for the record, I said many white Americans (KKK for example), which doesn't mean all white Americans are the same way.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isn't Christianity arguably a major influence though, or rather it's certain Christian sect (can't recall that it's Catholic or Protestant though)?

Christianity is a major influence, though they way it influences depends on what country we are talking about. Protestants are more influential in Canada and the USA, as well as some other places, while Catholics are more influential in Latin America as a whole

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.