What is "White Privilege" in american politics and law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Nope. Thankfully most people keep to themselves around here. Plus I also never said I attended church every Sunday, did I?
Nothing encourage a sense of community, understanding and love for thy neighbour like thankfulness that most people keep to themselves.

Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Nothing encourage a sense of community, understanding and love for thy neighbour like thankfulness that most people keep to themselves.
Why assume everyone wants a "sense of community" though? I'm much more of a self sufficient and independent type of person. None of this is to say I don't get along with them either, I just have no interest in petty and meaningless conversations with them.
I look forward to next year when I move, and my nearest neighbour will be 300+ metres away.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It seems to me that the idea of privilege could easily be extrapolated by the old "blue eyed" experiment by Jane Elliot. The only hiccup (theoretically being) nobody ever said "Okay, all white people are good!" Well, that was said ALL over the place a few decades ago. The fact that we, as a culture are still getting over that:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/

It seems inane to think that there is no such thing as white privilege. It is to be a blue eyed student in Ms Elliot's class and not even recognize how much better you have it. The beauty of children is that they are much more honest and upfront about it. Adults can be subtle and subconcious.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why assume everyone wants a "sense of community" though? I'm much more of a self sufficient and independent type of person. None of this is to say I don't get along with them either, I just have no interest in petty and meaningless conversations with them.
I look forward to next year when I move, and my nearest neighbour will be 300+ metres away.
Being self sufficient and independent has NOTHING to do with not wanting to foster a sense of community. If you want to keep up your distaste in your heart for your neighbour (or for interacting with your neighbour), don't talk to them or try to be friends with them. I don't assume everyone wants a sense of community BUT your profile indicates you are Christian, Love your neighbour as yourself is a preeeeeetty basic standard.

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, this conversation has gone better than most. I've been in conversations where I've tried to give my opinion the moment they find out I'm white they scream privilege at me and then say that everything I say is automatically racist because I am white. Pretty much all the conversations on race relations end up like that. It's only a matter of time for this one to go the same way.

And people wonder why white people don't want to talk about race relations.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, this conversation has gone better than most. I've been in conversations where I've tried to give my opinion the moment they find out I'm white they scream privilege at me and then say that everything I say is automatically racist because I am white. Pretty much all the conversations on race relations end up like that. It's only a matter of time for this one to go the same way.

And people wonder why white people don't want to talk about race relations.

Did you watch the video?
White privilege, the slur , check your privilege, is a new label afforded as a racist pejorative intending to silence white people and in the process making for the admission that people of color are victim. Therein the label becomes a double insult, a narrative that marginalizes all people who invoke it.

Unfortunately, now with the advent of DNA there's a new narrative arriving that thinks to afford a new schism into civilized society. Attempting to argue that race is a myth, this narrative states that people should be afforded consideration due to ethnicity.
It seems a more gentle approach. Less visually biased.
It's the new racism only build on deeper ignorance.
It originated with the hyphenation of citizenship in this country based upon the superficial appearance and therein allusion to probable ethnicity.
The foremost community made subject to this anti-American racist pejorative was, African-Americans.

The idea that all black people were of a common ethnic origin.

And then it went further so as to hyphenate all American's based on superficial characteristics.
This fails enormously. Because it presumes all people are pure blood. It presumes all people of an ethnic origin look the same. And that is racism.

A few generations ago, possibly with the advent of the civil rights era in America, the word Caucasian became a slur. In fact in Anthropology it is a term no longer in technical use. Which says a great deal about PCism and its impact on society and anthropology generally.

Caucasian is defined as:Relating to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, marked by fair to dark skin, straight to tightly curled hair, and light to very dark eyes, and originally inhabiting Europe, parts of North Africa, western Asia, and India.

Contrary to what PCism would like to impart, Irish, English, Scottish persons are Caucasian. As example.

After that schism that fractured American identity with hyphenation that makes a racist superficial identity to preceded citizenship of the American so described, America has witnessed a slow evolution toward finding adjectives that invalidate Caucasian identity all together. And in its stead attach the pejorative labeling of white privilege onto any reckoning of Caucasian identity so as to impart a divisive social margin into the national community.
Whites are better, non-whites are victims of whites.

The White Privilege label then in and of itself destructs the new PC language that thinks it shall replace, race and racism, with , ethnicity , so as to avoid the idea of marginalizing someone based on superficial appearance.

Folly of course. But that's PCism itself. Because unless someone takes a DNA swab of all people they meet so as to scientifically determine their ethnic heritage, they are going to continue to recognize peoples racial characteristics based on the superficial appearance pertaining to those. Just as they always have.

"White Privilege", is a racist pejorative that insults everyone equally.

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The White Privilege label then in and of itself destructs the new PC language that thinks it shall replace, race and racism, with , ethnicity , so as to avoid the idea of marginalizing someone based on superficial appearance.

Folly of course. But that's PCism itself. Because unless someone takes a DNA swab of all people they meet so as to scientifically determine their ethnic heritage, they are going to continue to recognize peoples racial characteristics based on the superficial appearance pertaining to those. Just as they always have.

I'm going to repeat myself from earlier here just to expand on this.

People may attempt to replace race with ethnicity, but they don't know what they're talking about. Race and ethnicity are NOT the same thing. The concept of race is based on classifying the physical characteristics of others. The concept of ethnicity is based around a shared nationality or culture. Ethnicity is not based on physical characteristics. For example, two people of the same race can be of different ethnicities from each other. In fact, two people of different races can be the same ethnicity. Again, I think a great many people confuse ethnocentrism with racism and they are not the same thing.

What you say about DNA is true. My parents have actually taken the DNA swabs. For them it showed mostly Western European (from France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg areas) heritage and the rest was Irish, Scandinavian, Greek, North African, Middle Eastern, and South Asian. So, DNA wise, I'm all over the place. If someone wanted to one drop me, I'd have to go around claiming to be black, which is ridiculous, because I look white and that's how everyone automatically classifies me, because the concept of race entirely revolves around the classification of perceived physical characteristics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
It seems to me that the idea of privilege could easily be extrapolated by the old "blue eyed" experiment by Jane Elliot. The only hiccup (theoretically being) nobody ever said "Okay, all white people are good!" Well, that was said ALL over the place a few decades ago. The fact that we, as a culture are still getting over that:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/

It seems inane to think that there is no such thing as white privilege. It is to be a blue eyed student in Ms Elliot's class and not even recognize how much better you have it. The beauty of children is that they are much more honest and upfront about it. Adults can be subtle and subconcious.
Rambot that link you posted is not evidence that white privilege exist.
Do you define "white privilege" as not being discriminate against as implied in the link that you posted?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what is white to begin with? I mean I am a 3rd generation italian american. So really I'm yellow/whiteish. White is not a race. And obviously "white" skinned people are more common in alot of countries whether it be russia, america....etc. Just like black skinned people don't realize they to are not "black". Its not a race. There are plenty of people with "black" skin that are different because they are from different countries. Such as a man from jamaica and a man from nambia are not the same.

The one thing I always say when people say whites have privilege is what about the people that come here from mexico? They get treated really bad alot of times and are exploited because they will work for like $3 an hour. They if anything have bigger issues on their hand. And yet they work their butts off and do what they can to make life better for their family. So maybe blacks should rethink things.

Though one friend, who is black (well jamaican/polish) who was raised down south said she found alot of the problem with other blacks is the older generations tend to teach the negative views about whites because of slavery and issues like that. So when they becomes teens they start to blame society instead of putting much effort into education, jobs....etc. Just as a few older generation whites down south teach that racist aspect of treating blacks poorly. I think 100 years from now this won't be an issue anymore because the older generations will be gone and not influencing in a negative way.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟20,317.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's about pumping life into a subject that is slowly loosing it's palatability. After awhile labels get old and loose their shock factor. This is another label the thought police have created to promote their disgust for everything else. It's a seed that implants misery by people who wallow in it to make themselves feel relevant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Rambot that link you posted is not evidence that white privilege exist.
Do you define "white privilege" as not being discriminate against as implied in the link that you posted?
No. It's a forest through the trees argument. There have been numerous studies showing that white privilege exists. There is certainly a measure of discrimination with white privilege but it is covert, subtle, and easily dismissed because...well, I'm not sure why. I just see all the studies being dismissed.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On the name thing: I have noticed among my Middle Eastern Christian friends that many times those with less 'normal-looking' (~ 'white') names will go by their middle names or completely make up names because otherwise it's too much of a hassle to go through every day with the majority of people you deal with butchering your name, asking you to repeat it 500 times, and then just calling you by a nickname that's easier for them to pronounce anyway (it's almost as if they don't want to be bothered to learn your name, which is very disrespectful). Hence I have Coptic friends who are magically named "Sammy" (Raafat), Palestinian friends named "Frank" (Farid), Lebanese friends named "Charlie" (Khalil), etc. This is also common among Ethiopians I know, like my friend Mekdem who goes by "Mark" because he says nobody bothers to get his name right anyway (I don't know why; it's pronounced as written). Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for this, like my poor friend Maged who had to endure being called "Maggot" by every non-Egyptian until he finally got fed up and started going by "Mike", or the Jordanian guy I used to know named Fady. I can't remember what name he went by, but in Arabic [æ] (like the a in "cat") and [ɑ] (like the a in "father") are contrastive, so you can't just switch one for the other and be guaranteed that you won't be saying an entirely different word than what you meant to say. In the case of Fady, my friend's name was pronounced [fædy]; he's a Christian, and his name means "my redeemer" in Arabic (referring to Christ). But most Americans apparently pronounce it [fɑdy], with the "ah" vowel in "father", so it came out as "Fahdy", which in Arabic means "empty"! So he would be called "Empty" all day, no matter how often he corrected them (and despite the fact that English has both of these vowels in it already, so it shouldn't have been that hard).

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
No. It's a forest through the trees argument.
How? :scratch:
There have been numerous studies showing that white privilege exists. There is certainly a measure of discrimination with white privilege but it is covert, subtle, and easily dismissed because...well, I'm not sure why. I just see all the studies being dismissed.
What "studies" are you referring to?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟725,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Did you watch the video?
White privilege, the slur , check your privilege, is a new label afforded as a racist pejorative intending to silence white people and in the process making for the admission that people of color are victim. Therein the label becomes a double insult, a narrative that marginalizes all people who invoke it.

Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s. This system will take many generations to dismantle. It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do. Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people realize that then they might do something about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.