What is "White Privilege" in american politics and law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am talking about arrests here. I don't know what the rest of your sources have to do with arrests.

Key word: arrests.

not police bruality or hate crimes.

I said arrests.
That word again is arrests.

My point is, I don't think white people have it that bad, particularly in encounters with the police, as it has been apparently perceived.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am talking about arrests here. I don't know what the rest of your sources have to do with arrests.

Key word: arrests.

not police bruality or hate crimes.

I said arrests.
That word again is arrests.

Not that I'm proud of these statistics....

Bureau of Justice Statistics - American Indians and Crime, 2004

Bureau of Justice Statistics - American Indians and Crime, 1992-2002

Created Equal - Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the US Criminal Justice System

New Admissions to Prison: African Americans were admitted to prison at a rate 6 times higher than that for Whites. Hispanics were admitted at 2 times the rate for Whites. Native Americans were admitted at over 4 times the rate for Whites. - Created Equal - Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the US Criminal Justice System

*The two Bureau of Justice reports appear to be different, although I'm not completely sure if they are or not.*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Often the slogan you're speaking of is said to be valid because of the number of minorities in American prisons and on death row.
Whereas the truth is people are in American jails and prisons because they did something to be there.
No doubt they did something to be there. But what is it that makes people of one race more likely to commit crime than people of another race? What is the driving force behind crime and why is it only affecting certain people?

If I had to guess, I'd say unequal opportunity and lack of education leads to crime. Black culture in America has this "hustle" attitude.... That they need to hustle and 'play the system' to come out on top and when they see and hear their favorite rappers talking about doing just that, and making millions doing it.... where do you think that leads them? Part of the blame goes to Blacks that perpetuate this mentality, but part of the blame is also on the racist institutions that were created long before Blacks were ever committing the amount of crimes they are being incarcerated for. (Most of them being non-violent drug charges that I believe no one should go to prison for, but that is for another thread.)

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
White privilege is the excuse some people use to blame others instead of asking their culture to change things. I have plenty of friends that are african american who hate when others use the white privilege card.

Is it fair to interpret your statement as saying that white people do not have to "change things" in their culture, or that there is nothing to change?

If yes, what are these other non-white cultures in our society that need to be changed? Why is that not a part of our collective culture? If we're saying that white culture is good, but the others need to change, is that not a kind of white privilege?

If you're not saying that white culture is fine as it is, how does white culture need to change?

Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people that then they might do something about it.
I'm certain these white people agree with you that they enjoy the respect of police:
Police Killed An Unarmed White Man In Iowa And His Community Didn't Seem To Notice
An ‘unarmed’ white teen was shot dead by police. His family asks: Where is the outrage?
Black Officer Shoots White Man, No Media Outrage
Ferguson-like attack in Utah escapes media notice; race bias seen
Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part of the suppressive weight that decimates any culture of people is the false premise that they are victims first because of the color of their skin. Be they of color or not, as whites are poor, uneducated, and in prison just like every other race convicted and sentenced there.

Prohibition does not make for a moral society. While vice leads to avarice. Easy money doing bad things.

No doubt they did something to be there. But what is it that makes people of one race more likely to commit crime than people of another race? What is the driving force behind crime and why is it only affecting certain people?

If I had to guess, I'd say unequal opportunity and lack of education leads to crime. Black culture in America has this "hustle" attitude.... That they need to hustle and 'play the system' to come out on top and when they see and hear their favorite rappers talking about doing just that, and making millions doing it.... where do you think that leads them? Part of the blame goes to Blacks that perpetuate this mentality, but part of the blame is also on the racist institutions that were created long before Blacks were ever committing the amount of crimes they are being incarcerated for. (Most of them being non-violent drug charges that I believe no one should go to prison for, but that is for another thread.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@ebia
I don't visited this website only, I visited other websites as well, after events surrounding gamergate, I been exposed to the term "SJW", people exemplifying that term and among other things. I am skeptical of certain aspects such as "rape culture" and "white privilege" that is promoted by the SJW crowd.
I had assumed "sjw" in a prior post of yours was a typo. I have no idea what it means, and seeing your 'tude here, I no longer care to read further in this thread. PM me if you wish me to know.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it necessary to repeat oneself when what is being discussed is visual bias.

Synonyms for race
noun ethnic group
Genetic evidence has undermined the idea of racial divisions of the human species and rendered race obsolete as a biological system of classification. Race therefore should no longer be considered as an objective category, as the term formerly was in expressions like the Caucasian race, the Asian race, the Hispanic race. Instead, if the reference is to a particular inherited physical trait, as skin color or eye shape, that salient feature should be mentioned specifically: discrimination based on color. Rather than using race to generalize about national or geographic origin, or even religious affiliation, it is better to be specific: South Korean, of Polish descent. References to cultural affiliation may refer to ethnicity or ethnic group: Kurdish ethnicity, Hispanic ethnicity. Though race is no longer considered a viable scientific categorization of humans, it continues to be used by the U.S. Census to refer to current prevalent categories of self-identification that include some physical traits, some historical affiliations, and some national origins: black, white, American Indian, Chinese, Samoan, etc. The current version of the census also asks whether or not Americans are of Hispanic origin, which is not considered a race. There are times when it is still accurate to talk about race in society. Though race has lost its biological basis, the sociological consequences of historical racial categories persist. For example, it may be appropriate to invoke race to discuss social or historical events shaped by racial categorizations, as slavery, segregation, integration, discrimination, equal employment policy. Often in these cases, the adjective “racial” is more appropriate than the noun “race.” While the scientific foundation for race is now disputed, racial factors in sociological and historical contexts continue to be relevant.

I'm going to repeat myself from earlier here just to expand on this.

People may attempt to replace race with ethnicity, but they don't know what they're talking about. Race and ethnicity are NOT the same thing. The concept of race is based on classifying the physical characteristics of others. The concept of ethnicity is based around a shared nationality or culture. Ethnicity is not based on physical characteristics. For example, two people of the same race can be of different ethnicities from each other. In fact, two people of different races can be the same ethnicity. Again, I think a great many people confuse ethnocentrism with racism and they are not the same thing.

What you say about DNA is true. My parents have actually taken the DNA swabs. For them it showed mostly Western European (from France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg areas) heritage and the rest was Irish, Scandinavian, Greek, North African, Middle Eastern, and South Asian. So, DNA wise, I'm all over the place. If someone wanted to one drop me, I'd have to go around claiming to be black, which is ridiculous, because I look white and that's how everyone automatically classifies me, because the concept of race entirely revolves around the classification of perceived physical characteristics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazy_Proverb

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your argument promoting the evils of White Privilege while affirming the deficits of minority class were just zapped of all credibility.

Presenting your arguments as one who condemns the imbalance in the contemporary racial dynamics, you responded to my observations by first denigrating those observations through your assumption and bias, thinking you were speaking to a Caucasian man.

Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s. This system will take many generations to dismantle. It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do. Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people realize that then they might do something about it.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is it fair to interpret your statement as saying that white people do not have to "change things" in their culture, or that there is nothing to change?

If yes, what are these other non-white cultures in our society that need to be changed?
Why do you assume someone's culture needs to change?

K

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s. This system will take many generations to dismantle. It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do. Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people realize that then they might do something about it.

Of course, many white people are going to deny white privilege exists, because (1) It causes conflict, which could threaten their dominant position in this country and all of the social and economic privileges attached to it, and (2) Its reality pricks their conscience, producing guilt and shame, which in turn, produces anger and the defensive retaliation at the mere mention of the term. It seems many of them have become accustomed to being the "top dogs" and they don't want to lose that position and prestige. After all, this country was founded on racism, white supremacy, white nationalism, and white privilege. It has been racist and oppressive of its Indigenous and minority people since before its inception and not a lot has changed since then. I think many white Americans don't want to lose their dominance in this country or even allow any minority people to be seen as superior to them. And for the record, I said many white Americans (KKK for example), which doesn't mean all white Americans are the same way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
White liberal guilt is pathetic, and 'white privilege' is far more myth than fact.
I would think white people should have every right to say they are tired of being expected to apologize for being white. And for all manner of colored conflicts that are part of a history they had no part in.

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.