What is the value of one's confidence in salvation?

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
just did, didn't actually say what I quoted you as saying so...
Chapter 12 explains quite clearly that Tongues is one of the 9 Gifts given to certain believers within the Body of Christ; not given to every one.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (We see from that verse that tongues are spoken expressly to God alone cos no one has a clue to what the specific utterance is only God alone)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chapter 12 explains quite clearly that Tongues is one of the 9 Gifts given to certain believers within the Body of Christ; not given to every one.

we don't dispute that, and that has nothing to do with what I asked.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (Further proof that an utterance of Tongues is addressed to God)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (We see from that verse that tongues are spoken expressly to God alone cos no one has a clue to what the specific utterance is only God alone)

well, your exegesis isn't exactly what that verse says.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
However, an utterance of Tongues, unless a believer who has the Gift of Interpretation moves in their gift, is of no use to the congregation

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (Further proof that an utterance of Tongues is addressed to God)

no one disputes that the tongue is spoken to God. what this verse DOES say is if aloud, there should be an interpreter. if there is no interpreter, it should be silent.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, an utterance of Tongues, unless a believer who has the Gift of Interpretation moves in their gift, is of no use to the congregation

right, which is why if there is no interpretation, it's to be silent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pray that you may interpret

that's irrelevant, of course we should pray for whatever gift God chooses to give. however, if there is no interpretation, praying in tongues should be silent.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
that's irrelevant, of course we should pray for whatever gift God chooses to give. however, if there is no interpretation, praying in tongues should be silent.
Tongues is of no use whatsoever unless it is spoken audibly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read a short story in college in my (English?) Lit class. It has always stuck with me. It was the interior dialogue of a man facing his death, and the whole focus was (1) whether Christ would actually meet him, or if there would be nothingness, and more importantly (2) that the fact of his inability to drum up absolute certainty would damn him to hell if there was one. It was a pitiful story.

And yes, it reflects an attitude which was apparently prevalent somewhere that there was a belief that it was only with absolute certainty that it was possible to be saved.

Misunderstanding in the English-speaking world about what "faith" means, as well as some theological errors. And yes, the entire burden of salvation is really on oneself in that case. They THINK they are giving glory only to God by "not trying for works" ... but in reality they turn the entire focus onto self. And not to anything potentially important, like showing love for others, but in simple mental gymnastics of being able to convince yourself of something hard to believe.

In some cases, this is the reason for the mocking by atheists.

Upvote 0