Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This may too abstract (or too concrete) So then, what is Eden? And how does God's Rest get us there?

This may be a nuanced debate, a digression.

I'm not an expert in this area. There are specific references to Eden/Paradise or Abraham's Bosom, also hints/clues about a worldwide future kingdoms under Christ. "In my Father's house are many mansions" (Jn 14:2) could refer to a 'holy of holies' concept of concentric circles, centred around Christ in Jerusalem, with light that reaches every corner of the world. How this works I don't know.

eden (עֵדֶן) = delight/pleasure
Gesenius, H5731 - ʿēḏen - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)

"The Gospels all agree that Jesus died on a Friday during Passover on the Day of Preparation for the Sabbath (cf. Matthew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:42), that he shared a "last supper" with his disciples, and was crucified in the reign of Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judaea (AD 26–36); Caiaphas, high priest in Jerusalem (AD 18–36); and Herod Antipas, tetrarch of Galilee (circa 4 BC–AD 39) (Tacitus, Annals, XV.44; Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, XVIII.2.2, XVII.8.1; Luke 3:1-2)." When Did Jesus Die?

Luke 23:42-45,

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

Iow, mortification of sin.

"Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. ...For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Rom 6)

The daily ritual of laying down and rising up mirrors Christ, paralleled in baptism (descent and ascent from water/hades/underworld), the voluntary/necessary laying down of one's life (as a fact of life).

Daily rest as we know is insufficient. Research (data from sleep timer apps) find interesting facts internationally. Some days people sleep better/longer/deeper and other days not so. Perhaps why people look forward to the "weekend" and public holidays, for a loong rest. Sleep tracking: A systematic review of the research using commercially available technology

But for us this rest, sleep, moments of paradise, are but fleeting moments. We wrestle with sin constantly. But with Christ it's once and for all. The power or effect of sin no longer present in the new kingdom, allowing God's will/law to be done with "ease". Work not being painful. Rest not being for body only, but eternal rest for the spirit/soul. "Ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Mt 11:29) This is the eternal sabbath. This is what we strive for, achieved fully through the "Lord of the Sabbath".

And that mortification, taking up the cross daily, laying one's life down for his friends, etc, is the way "to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." i.e. "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (Jn 14:6) or "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." (Jn 10:9) -- A metaphorical entrance/exit. A binary and repetitive action. A mode to discovery.

"Entering Sabbath" and "through Christ" are equivalent. The object being to be "alive unto God". A full and fullfilled life. "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (Jn 10:10)

"For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden (עֵדֶן), and her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody." (Isa 51:3)

"And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden (עֵדֶן); and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited." (Ezek 36:35)

All of these quotes are abstract, sketches of a life to come. -- You could say, Sabbath rest is to make 'something out of nothing'. Mortification of sin, submission of self, in such a way as to produce fruit: first to self, then to benefit to others. Which is the Shabbat rituals work, also the essence of the Gospel, as a seed that bears fruit in men: info/knowledge, spiritual maturity, behavioural change, holiness.

"I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase." (1 Cor 3:6)

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
if we look at a stop sign what is the purpose? most would be tempted to say "to stop" when in fact this is not the purpose, stopping is just a means to the purpose. If you arbitrarily place stop signs everywhere then the stop sign has no purpose and is meaningless (except for maybe some sort of anarchy) typically a stop sign wants you to stop for the purpose of control. controlling an intersection or going through some sort of checkpoint or marking a point to wait. The stop sign itself is just an instruction to achieve that goal, which is an instruction to stop but the goal is not "stopping" it's something else and even without the stop sign, that goal may still be there. You may not actually need to stop to achieve the goal but if we place a stop sign then you're under obligation to keep it and if you don't you're liable and come under judgment.

The Sabbath law is like a stop sign to achieve a greater purpose. it shows instructions on how to achieve a goal of Sabbath on a broader level or "God's rest". but before the Sabbath law there was no instruction yet the goal was still there. after the law the instruction may not apply in the same way yet the goal is still there. so what is that goal?

Do you know the answer? The purpose of the Sabbath is not singular; but to put it in a nutshell the Sabbath is to do with communion with God; in the case of Israel coming out of Egypt, the Sabbath became communion enforced; had communion with God been a feature of Israel then the enforcement of the Sabbath may not have bee necessary. It is an assumption that Abraham didn't keep it.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know the answer? The purpose of the Sabbath is not singular; but to put it in a nutshell the Sabbath is to do with communion with God; in the case of Israel coming out of Egypt, the Sabbath became communion enforced; had communion with God been a feature of Israel then the enforcement of the Sabbath may not have bee necessary. It is an assumption that Abraham didn't keep it.
I agree. The creation account can be viewed as a salvation metaphor, light starts a transformation that ends in rest and the 7 day fully contains the completeness of creation, and in this completeness is perfect harmony with God and this is where his rest can be found. We can only get there through Christ. This is the purpose of the Sabbath, complete restored communion with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Shabbath is for a people, is a "sign between God and His people" not individuals or 50.000 denominations of divided religion, but a people who are ONE like the Father and the Son!
The question is:
Has the Holy Spirit explicitly led you to keep the Sabbath? If so, are you special? Why isn't the Holy Spirit leading all mankind in this direction?

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question is:
Has the Holy Spirit explicitly led you to keep the Sabbath? If so, are you special? Why isn't the Holy Spirit leading all mankind in this direction?
A friendly heads up, Bob S, you're now on the "What is the purpose of the Sabbath?" thread.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Leaf. I knew that was the heading of another thread, but the question seemed relevant and I like it.

I would think SDAs would like to know the answer to that question since the church is using their contributions to hold big evangelizing events to gain membership. They could just allow the Holy
Spirit to lead everyone to what they believe is the real truth.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the purpose of the Sabbath?

The purpose of the Sabbath "WAS", not "IS". God gave Israel two reasons; one was to remind them of Him and His creating and the other was to commemorate their release from Egyptian bondage.

I believe it was to be a day of celebration. Actually, there is not much information given as to what they were to do. At first God had them stay in their tents and later with no instruction found in scripture they were outside taking offerings to the Levites and other activities. I would imagine their tents covered a huge area of land and many had to walk a distance to give their offerings. Isaiah 58 rebukes the Israelites for thinking and doing certain things, but was not specific in the rebuke.

Today, among those who insist the day must be kept, there are many ideas as to how and even in some cases when.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy mean?
"Holy" means "to set apart."
In this case, set apart from labor.
It seems like worshipping God on a day God deemed to do all thy work and labor Exodus 20:9 instead of the day God commanded us to keep holy Exodus 20:8 blessed and sanctified Genesis 2:1-3 doesn't that seem odd to you? The Sabbath day is a holy convocation Leviticus 23:3 the day the Lord told us to turn from our own pleasures and our ways and to do the way of the Lord. Isaiah 58:13 the day Jesus as our example was reading the Word of God every Sabbath Luke 4:16 and the disciples. Acts 18:4 Acts 13:44

The Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27 and man was created on the sixth day Genesis 1:26 right before the very first Sabbath celebrated in the presence of God the way God intended before sin. Genesis 2:1-3. Once Jesus comes His saints will once again worship Him in His presence on His chosen day for eternity. Isaiah 66:23
I always find it interesting that more people put effort in discrediting the undisputed holy day of the Lord Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13 than they do trying to find scripture that says we are commanded to keep the first day holy. That the first day is holy to God or to us.
When did Saturday become the first day of the week?
That the day is sanctified or blessed. Once God blesses something man cannot reverse. Numbers 23:20.
The purpose of the Sabbath is to point to (foreshadow) our full-time salvation rest in Jesus Christ,
from our works to save, and in his work which saves (Hebrews 3:7-4:10).

"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath," (Matthew 11:28),
that he rest (Deuteronomy 5:14; Exodus 31:14-15, Exodus 34:21),
a theme running through both the OT and the NT (Joshua 1:13; Joshua 22:4; 1 Kings 8:56;
Matthew 11:28; Hebrews 4:1-11),
pointing to our full-time salvation rest in Christ (Hebrews 4:6-10),
as God rested full-time from all his work (Hebrews 4:4).

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. The creation account can be viewed as a salvation metaphor, light starts a transformation that ends in rest and the 7 day fully contains the completeness of creation, and in this completeness is perfect harmony with God and this is where his rest can be found. We can only get there through Christ. This is the purpose of the Sabbath, complete restored communion with God.

About that, the duality of dark and light is perhaps as important as light itself. And it's imperfection or incompleteness of the current 7th day sabbath that necessitates a better solution; after Armageddon imo.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

There's an odd expression in Isaiah 9:6 amidst descriptions/titles of the Messiah, "Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace". The Greek LXX translation of the Hebrew for some reason mentions "peace" twice. Mid-sentence there's this expression: "bring/to lead/guide/direct peace" or "I will bring peace/quiet/rest" (ἄξω εἰρήνην, akso eirenen). If the LXX is accurate Christ would then also be, at least by inference, "Peace/quiet/rest Bringer". Which when cross referenced to Matthew 11:28-29 makes a lot of sense: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest... rest unto your souls".

Δεῦτε πρός με πάντες οἱ κοπιῶντες καὶ πεφορτισμένοι κἀγὼ ἀναπαύσω (anapauso) ὑμᾶς
ἄρατε τὸν ζυγόν μου ἐφ᾽ ὑμᾶς καὶ μάθετε ἀπ᾽ ἐμοῦ ὅτι πρᾷός εἰμι καὶ ταπεινὸς τῇ καρδίᾳ καὶ εὑρήσετε ἀνάπαυσιν (anapausin) ταῖς ψυχαῖς ὑμῶν·

"Rest" anapauo is written twice implying a double or complete rest: for body and soul; beginning and end. Relating to resurrection of the dead. Hence 1 Thes 5:23, "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord."

Hence the NT emphasis on "spiritual" life vs "carnal".

Lev 16:29-34:

And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you: For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever. And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments: And he shall make an atonement for the holy sanctuary, and he shall make an atonement for the tabernacle of the congregation, and for the altar, and he shall make an atonement for the priests, and for all the people of the congregation. And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year. And he did as the Lord commanded Moses.

It's the "difference", at least in pre-Messianic times, between Israel and the Goyim or Nations that's a recurrent emphasis. Holy vs profane; clean vs unclean; rest vs no rest.

“Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.” (Ezek 22:26)

So it also refers to Christ's Melchizedekian priesthood, an ability to enter at will into the Holy of Holies, Ark, or Most Holy Place. Where the fulfilment of this office completely restores all of creation and all kingdoms (that believe in Christ) on earth. Thereby bringing a complete peace/quiet/rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
"Holy" means "to set apart." In this case, set apart from labor.

"Labour" connotes 'industrial relations' and 'HR', master and slave dialectic, or bourgeois and proletariat. There are many examples. Parent and child. Husband and wife. It's this interplay between serving Mammon and the Lord that the majority of believers wrestle with. That we must rest in order to connect with God, one's life even depends on it. Sabbath is a reminder of the impermanence of aforementioned institutions and the permanence of Christ.

To understand how a person is supposed to "rest" or cease from work is hinted at in the phrases "servile work". Lev 23:25 "Ye shall do no servile work (מְלֶאכֶת עֲבֹדָה malaka aboda).

Aboda
means labour or service. It relates to 'ministry', also servants or slaves.

Malaka
, quoting Strong's, is rather meaningful: "Properly, deputyship, i.e. ministry; generally, employment (never servile) or work (abstractly or concretely); also property (as the result of labor):—business, cattle, industrious, occupation, ( -pied), officer, thing (made), use, (manner of) work((-man), -manship)." And Brown elaborates with almost a dozen sub-definitions. H4399 - mᵊlā'ḵâ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)

Much broader and deeper than say the 'Protestant work ethic' understanding of an 8hr day with strict 'work and recreation' schedules, and strict Saturday and or Sunday religious observance. I sense this is an area of confusion when Sabbath is dogmatised into strict religiosity whilst lacking a full understanding. Becoming superstition.

Truly, God was demonstrating to the Israelites in the Exodus what it means to be married to him, that survival and life with him is completely unlike the way of life in Egypt. To be holy or kadosh, "of God, as separate, apart, and so sacred, holy" and "separate from human infirmity, impurity, and sin" H6918 - qāḏôš - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)

Jacob entered Egypt as an esteemed guest/citizen. 430 years later his descendants were brickmaking slaves under the Egyptian Captivity. The mentality shift would have been unshakable for most. Like slavery in Mauritania. It takes serious remedial effort to reform the system, and even still the reformer's slave still sees himself as a slave, even after reform and liberation. See 12:33.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Labour" connotes 'industrial relations' and 'HR', master and slave dialectic, or bourgeois and proletariat. There are many examples. Parent and child. Husband and wife. It's this interplay between serving Mammon and the Lord that the majority of believers wrestle with. That we must rest in order to connect with God, one's life even depends on it. Sabbath is a reminder of the impermanence of aforementioned institutions and the permanence of Christ.

To understand how a person is supposed to "rest" or cease from work is hinted at in the phrases "servile work". Lev 23:25 "Ye shall do no servile work (מְלֶאכֶת עֲבֹדָה malaka aboda).

Aboda
means labour or service. It relates to 'ministry', also servants or slaves.

Malaka
, quoting Strong's, is rather meaningful: "Properly, deputyship, i.e. ministry; generally, employment (never servile) or work (abstractly or concretely); also property (as the result of labor):—business, cattle, industrious, occupation, ( -pied), officer, thing (made), use, (manner of) work((-man), -manship)." And Brown elaborates with almost a dozen sub-definitions. H4399 - mᵊlā'ḵâ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)

Much broader and deeper than say the 'Protestant work ethic' understanding of an 8hr day with strict 'work and recreation' schedules, and strict Saturday and or Sunday religious observance. I sense this is an area of confusion when Sabbath is dogmatised into strict religiosity whilst lacking a full understanding. Becoming superstition.
Truly, God was demonstrating to the Israelites in the Exodus what it means to be married to him, that survival and life with him is completely unlike the way of life in Egypt. To be holy or kadosh, "of God, as separate, apart, and so sacred, holy" and "separate from human infirmity, impurity, and sin" H6918 - qāḏôš - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)
Yes, that is holy (set apart from) as it relates to God and his people being "set apart from sin."
As it relates to the seventh day of the week, holy is "set apart from servile labor."
Jacob entered Egypt as an esteemed guest/citizen. 430 years later his descendants were brickmaking slaves under the Egyptian Captivity. The mentality shift would have been unshakable for most. Like slavery in Mauritania. It takes serious remedial effort to reform the system, and even still the reformer's slave still sees himself as a slave, even after reform and liberation. See 12:33.

• Useful
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is holy (set apart from) as it relates to God and his people being "set apart from sin."

Not sure if you realise but the punctuation is a distracting and patronising. Anyway.

As degrees of holiness exist as seen in the Holy of Holies, degrees of servility also exists, ranks in heaven (Mt 18) per se. e.g. the parable of the shrewd steward in Luke 16. That is, the weekly 7th day sabbath is an ordinary or unremarkable sabbath in comparison to the annual "high sabbath", etc, culminating in the Lord's Day and "serving God".

Evident in John 12:25-26: "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."

Originating in Exodus 9:1, "Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me."

Paul elaborates on this dichotomy of competing interests. "For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men." 1 Cor 7:22-23

This conveys the essence of sabbath as divine order and reforming of man's priorities/allegiance. Conveying notions both of liberty and servility.

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Rom 6:22)

... holy is "set apart from servile labor."

Almost but not quite. From what to what? You see.

I'd argue sabbath is a 'from this to that' logic. From difficulty to ease, imperfect to perfected work. From serving the Prince to serving the King.

Psalm 4:3, But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath is a type and a shadow. Christ is the true sabbath. When we enter into Christ, we rest from our own works, and he does his works through us.
Believers find their "sabbatismos" rest in Christ (Hebrews 4:9) in contrast with keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law, which was a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used nowhere else in the Bible.

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The sabbath is a type and a shadow. Christ is the true sabbath. When we enter into Christ, we rest from our own works, and he does his works through us.

"Shadow" is used a lot round here, usually in a replacement theology sense. i.e. "Christ has done away with the sabbath". Which is untrue given that he is "Lord of the sabbath" where sabbath then forms part of his identity/nature/job description. Understood by his priestly ceremonial role/duty, restoring not merely the nation of Israel but "all nations" and all of creation.

Thus, the "when" in sabbath is both a constant/ongoing/weekly thing as much as it is a final/complete thing. Iow, "Christ" does not eclipse or replace sabbath making obsolete but "fulfills" the sabbath, filling it to it's full meaning: global and eternal.

"Shadow" is true as a new light casts a shadow on the former light, indicating progression per Menorah element discussed above. Prefiguration or presage instead may be a more helpful.

Christ entering in the Holy of Holies can be pictured like a rain drop in a still body of water, with concentric ripples emanating into the whole world. Except it is "water and blood".

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No that is not true at all. Did you know there are many types of ceremonial sabbaths in the old covenant that are not the same and have a different purpose to the creation Sabbath of God's 10 commandments that can fall on any day of the week? It is impossible for Gods' creation Sabbath or 4th commandment to be a "shadow law" of anything as it was made before sin and law when mankind was sinless and no plan of salvation was given to man because of sin. There was no sin, no law, no Moses, no Israel, no Jew when Jesus says that God made the Sabbath for all mankind in Mark 2:27. There was only Adam and Even made on the sixth day of the creation week in Genesis 1:26-29. Gods creation Sabbath points backwards not forwards to things to come as a memorial of creation and a celebration of creation and God as the creator of heaven and earth so it is impossible for Gods' 4th commandment that gives us a knowledge of what sin is to be a shadow of anything.

Take Care.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Believers find their "sabbatismos" rest in Christ (Hebrews 4:9) in contrast with keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law, which was a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used nowhere else in the Bible.

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonInex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

The section you highlighted in your post in Vines is not written in the Greek. It is Vines personal opinion and what he think it means. The literal Greek interpretation of Sabbatismos Vines shows in the first part of the quote you ignored and did not highlight where he says this...

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath. SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.)

This agrees with every other Greek Dictionary and Interlinear

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath keeping) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

GREEK LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, Abbott-Smith - G4520
*† σαββατισμός, - οῦ, ὁ(< σαββατίζω, to keep the sabbath, Exod 16:30, al.), a keeping sabbath, a sabbath rest: metaph., as in Mishna (Zorell, s.v.), Heb 4:9.†

LIDDEL/SCOTT/JONES GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON - G4520
σαββατισμός Σαββᾰτ-ισμός, ὁ, a keeping of days of rest, Ep. Heb 4:9, cf. Plu. 2.166a (codd., βαπτισμούς Bentley).

STRONGS Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. THAYER - G4520
G4520 — σαββατισμός σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

Hope this is helpful Dan.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sabbatismos is used here to indicate the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son under the New Covenant in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Old Covenant of the Law. In this verse the writer is referring to a divine rest into which the believers enter in their relationship with God not just in eternity future but (in my opinion) also in the here and now while still on earth (albeit our spiritual rest will not be perfected until we reach glory in the presence of God).

Hagner - The rare Greek word for Sabbath-rest in this verse (sabbatismos) is deliberately used by the author in place of the word for “rest” used previously in his argument (katapausis) in order to emphasize that the rest of which he has been speaking is of an eschatological order-indeed, of the order of God’s own sabbath-rest. God’s sabbath-rest thus becomes a symbol for our rest. (New International biblical commentary: Hebrews)

Craig Evans

The author of Hebrews admonishes Jewish Christians to enter God’s “rest” (Heb 3–4). The author infers from Scripture and Israel’s history that “there remains a sabbath rest [sabbatismos] for the people of God” (Heb 4:9).

The reference here is not to weekly Sabbaths or to any particular holy day, but to the eschatological fulfillment of God’s will.

At this time all believers will enter God’s rest, or sabbath. (Dictionary of New Testament Background : A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship)

Walter Elwell writes that "the author speaks of a Sabbath rest (Gk. sabbatismos) again to connect the rest that the believer will obtain with the rest of God (He 4:4; Ge 2:2, 3). It refers not to the weekly Sabbath but to eternal salvation as different from and following upon this life of work. It should not be thought that this rest is inactivity, however, for God’s rest is not (Jn 5:17). Again, note the author’s characteristic emphasis on the futurity of salvation. (Evangelical Commentary on the Bible)

That was the Sabbath, and the God of the Sabbath of Pharisaism; this the rest, the enlightenment, the hope for them who laboured and were heavy laden, and who longed and knew not where to find the true Sabbatismos!

Unger commenting on Hebrews 4:9,10 writes that "Redemptive rest is available for God’s people. These verses refer to the rest called sabbath-keeping (sabbatismos, ‘a state of rest from labor’) which involves the believer’s resting completely in a perfect work of redemption (Heb 4:3,4) as God rested from a perfect work of creation, Heb 4:10. This rest of redemption reposes wholly in the work of the Cross, and ceases from all self-effort, human merit or legalistic claim as a means either to salvation or sanctification, 10 (cf. Ep 2:8, 9, 10). It projects the victory of faith in conquest over spiritual enemies (the world, the flesh and the devil). (The new Unger's Bible handbook)

Donald Guthrie - The description of the rest as a sabbath rest is important because it introduces a word (sabbatismos) which occurs nowhere else. It may have been coined by this writer (so MM), for it effectively differentiates between the spiritual kind of rest and the Canaan rest (the psalm has the word katapausis). (Hebrews: An Introduction and Commentary)

The related word sabbaton is used in Colossians…

Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath (sabbaton) day-- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Col 2:16; 2:17-notes)

Comment: Jesus fulfilled the Jewish regulations and celebrations by achieving perfectly the intentions they (and related to our present passage, the Sabbath day in the OT) only pointed to. The Sabbath Day was like a "giant finger" pointing to something far better. To go back to the old worn out picture is to miss His available rest. How ironic and how tragic. The very rest some attempt to attain by keeping legalistically the Sabbath they actually lose because they miss God's true rest, which was not a day but a Person, Christ Jesus! It is also relevant to note that the command to observe the Sabbath is the only one of the Ten Commandments not repeated after Pentecost.

Steven Cole

The author here uses a unique word for rest (sabbatismos), translated “Sabbath rest.” Some think that he coined the word.

It calls attention to the spiritual aspect of God’s rest. It goes beyond observing the seventh day as holy. It goes beyond entering the physical Promised Land. This Sabbath rest is a soul-rest.

It is what Jesus promised when He said, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and You will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Mt. 11:28, 29, 30). (Hebrews 4:1-11 Cultural Christianity versus Saving Faith)

Compare rest [katapausis] in [Re 14:13-note]

From the context this Sabbath rest is one in which a believer can enter today (Re 14:10-note) although obviously not as completely and fully as when we are in our future state of glory (Re 14:13-note). This Sabbath Rest for a believer is also described in the next verse as a rest from one's own works. What keeps a person from entering this "Sabbath rest"? (Re 14:11-note) "Disobedience" (which in turn in the context is a manifestation of unbelief - cp Hebrews 3:18, 19-note).

Craig Slane - Hebrews anticipates an eschatological “sabbath rest” (sabbatismos) that remains for the people of God (Heb 4:1-11). The term sabbatismos appears nowhere else in the New Testament, and may be the writer’s own creation to indicate the superiority of the coming rest to that of the seventh day. Though a superior quality of rest, it is still marked chiefly by the cessation of labor patterned after God’s rest on the seventh day. (Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology)

Exodus 31:13 - But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Comment: Observe God's own interpretation of the meaning of the Sabbath in this verse -- it is a sign. What is it a sign of? As Youngblood writes "the sign of the Mosaic covenant is the observance and celebration of the Sabbath day (Ex 31:13, 17)." The Sabbath marked Israel out as God’s people. Observing the Sabbath showed that the Israelites were set apart (i.e., holy) to God.

Ray Stedman… in his discussion of The Rest Obtained Is New-Creation Rest (4:8-11)

The use of the term sabbatismos (“Sabbath-rest”) suggests that the weekly sabbath given to Israel is only a shadow of the true rest of God. Paul also declares in Colossians 2:16–17 where he lumps religious festivals, New Moon celebrations and sabbath days together as “a shadow of the things that were to come, the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Thus rest has three meanings: (1) the Promised Land; (2) the weekly sabbath; and (3) that which these two prefigure, that cessation from labor which God enjoys and which he invites believers to share.

This third rest not only describes the introduction of believers into eternal life, but also depicts the process by which we will continue to work and live, namely, dependence on God to be at work through us. “It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Phil 2:13-note).

This is in many ways the lost secret of Christianity. Along with seeking to do things for God, we are also encouraged to expect God to be at work through us. It is the key to the apostle’s labors: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Phil 4:13-note). Also, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal 2:20-note). Note, “I no longer live”—that is, I do not look for any achievement by my own efforts. Rather “Christ lives in me” and the life I live and the things that I do are “by faith”—that is, done in dependence on the Son of God working in and through me.

This makes clear that truly keeping the sabbath is not observing a special day (that is but the shadow of the real sabbath), but sabbath keeping is achieved when the heart rests on the great promise of God to be working through a believer in the normal affairs of living. We cannot depend on our efforts to please God, though we do make decisions and exert efforts.

Dr Robert Morey discusses this passage as it relates to the argument used by some (Seventh Day Adventists) to support the keeping of the OT Sabbath…

The Hebrews 4:9 Argument

The Sabbatarian Position

In this chapter the author of Hebrews clearly states that there remains for the Christian a Sabbath day of rest.

Examination of This Argument

1. This argument’s greatest proponent was the Puritan, John Owen. But the exegetical evidence against his Sabbatarian position is so great that no classic commentator can be cited who agreed with his interpretation. Even some of the Puritans, such as John Brown, rejected Owen’s interpretation.

With almost all the classic commentaries and exegetes against the Sabbatarian position on Hebrews 4, this at once makes us suspicious of its validity.

2. A careful exegesis reveals that Hebrews 4 is teaching the exact opposite of the Sabbatarian position. The context is clear on the following points:

a. God’s “rest” in Hebrews 3:18 stands symbolically for the promised land. Because of unbelief, most of the generation died in the wilderness instead of entering His “rest” (Heb 3:16, 17, 18, 19).

b. From this Old Testament example, the author now informs his audience that the promise of a greater “rest” stands before them (Heb 4:1a).

c. This “rest” is of such a nature that:

• We can fall short of it (Heb 4:1b).

• We fall short if we do not believe the Gospel (Heb 4:2).

• It is entered into by faith (Heb 4:3).

d. This “rest” is now drawn from another Old Testament example: God’s Sabbath rest (Heb 4:4).

e. The author combines God’s Sabbath rest with the “rest” of the promised land (Heb 4:5), and states that disobedience to the Gospel hinders anyone from entering “rest” (Heb 4:6).

f. Even now in the age of salvation, the age of “Today” (Heb 4:7; cf. 2Cor. 6:2), God calls us to enter a “rest”; a rest like God’s Sabbath rest; a rest like that in Canaan (Heb 4:9).The only reason for putting the word “Sabbath rest” (Greek, sabbatismos, Heb 4:9) instead of just “rest” as in the rest of the context is that the author had just used God’s “Sabbath” as an illustration or example.

g. The nature of the “rest” or “Sabbath rest” of Heb 4:9 is explained in Heb 4:10, 11.

• Just as God ceased forever from His works, even so we are to cease from depending upon or trying to produce works to merit salvation. The works we produce are elsewhere called “dead works” (Heb 6:1).

• Let us enter the “rest of faith” in the Gospel and persevere to the end. We must not fall into or rest upon dead works.

• The danger to which the author was addressing himself was apostasy, not which day was to be observed by Christians. The audience was tempted to return to Judaism, thus the author exhorts them to persevere in the faith, and he warns them of condemnation if they become disobedient to the Gospel.

The fact that this is the theme of the entire book and the thrust of chapter four is accepted by nearly all commentators. Why do the Sabbatarians ignore this broader and immediate context? The emphasis in Hebrews 4 is on a future rest that yet awaits all who persevere to the end in faith (cf. He 10:38, 39), and the author’s fear that by moving back under the Old Covenant they would fall short of that sabbatismos.

The conclusion of the author’s argument is given in Heb 4:14, 15, 16. In order to enter God’s rest, we must “hold firmly to the faith” (Heb 4:14) in Christ’s meritorious priestly atonement. Therefore, let us “approach the throne of grace with confidence” (Heb 4:16) in view of Christ’s work for us.

Conclusion - Hebrews 4 is a passage which shows that God’s Sabbath and the Promised Land were an eschatological foreshadowing of the believer’s rest of faith in the Gospel of salvation, accomplished by the sealing of the New Covenant by the blood of Christ. Heb. 4:9 does not say “Sabbath day” but rather “Sabbath-like rest” (sabbatismos). The context rules out the Sabbatarian interpretation, because the emphasis falls not on a day to be observed in this age, but on an eternal rest awaiting all who live by faith until the end (cf. Heb 3:14). (The encyclopedia of practical Christianity)

Hebrews 4:8-10 Commentary | Precept Austin

Upvote 0