Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 66:23 simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and new earth, we read there we will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25). How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law?
It is not done under the law. For God has said He will put His laws in our hearts and minds.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The arbitrary legalistic aspect is a common misunderstanding. It is "a day" and more. It's a day of surplus/plenty, pointing to the 7th or divinity in all creation. Shmita, sabbatical year of rest on the 7th year, 49th year of jubilee, etc. Cycles of seven and concepts of holiness, throughout Scripture, in mathematics, building & architecture, anatomy, genetics, DNA, science and astrophysics. It's about heaven, and man's involvement/inclusion.

Your implicit point is valid: Constance and regularity vs merely "one day". To "pray without ceasing" and "love the Lord thy God with all", "to take up your cross daily". That is true, in intent, of the heart. Except "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked" (Jer 17:9) This is the danger or individualism without consulting Scripture, also Spiritualism. An imagined man-made belief, contradictory to God's expressed will.

The purpose of Sabbath is a reminder/remembrance of redemption, symbolically, metaphorically, legally, and actually. It commemorates and aligns the person with God who first rested from his work in Genesis, it's an act of allegiance and affinity. To be holy as he is holy, to do as Christ did.

"And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day." (Deu 5:15)

This is ofc difficult to impossible for Gentiles to understand or accept since we never saw this, we never lived this, and our ancestors certainly never went through this. In fact, we are likely the perpetrators, of cain, of Babylon, Egypt, and Rome. Thus, having the same ideals and practices as the Egyptians, that God hated and condemned. This is perhaps why so many people mis-understand "Sabbath" as about "work" and "rest" as if synonymous for "pleasure" and "punishment". But for someone who understands that this world is cage, that work is hard, and that our parents/employers/government/rulers are often cruel, then God's "rest" is like an oasis. And "holiness" is a divine and royal privilege.

The purpose of Sabbath is liberation. "I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage." (Deu 5:6)

The world's culture enslaves others, benefiting off others. But God's is "rich" and his system is "life". There is no competition, no misery, no deceit.

The "labour" part is commonly misunderstood as mandatory forced labour, but if you study the Exodus the people simply had opportunity to gather manna and quails (free food, clean and holy food). "I will rain bread from heaven" (Ex 16:4) The strong and fit would gather and there would be enough for the sick and unfit. There was no conflict of interest. No struggle. No blaming or marginalising. And each man had his fill, regardless of how much he gathered. Whereas in Egypt, they had lived 3-400 years of brick-making quotas, with insufficient ingredients/materials/inventory to do their job properly. Plus they were blamed, scapegoated, and persecuted. Which is a constant theme in the history of the industrial "built" world, thousands die at the expense of building walls and cities for Kings/emperors. So Sabbath is God's reminder, his lesson, that his "way" is truly the path of life and peace.

"This is the thing which the Lord hath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents. And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less. And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating. ...This shall be, when the Lord shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full." (Ex 16:16-8)

Iow, perfect market equilibrium in supply and demand, for both goods and labour. Unlike modern Capitalism, working more is done to benefit self and others, and demand is always met. No clutching at straws. There is never shortage, no boom and bust, no outliers or wings, no bulls or bears. No hoarding or greed. No poverty and theft. No room to covet. Everyone has enough. For 40 years there was plenty for all. Also no inflation, deflation, or depreciation. The 'market' refreshes itself automatically, daily. And on Friday there's enough to gather a "double portion" for Sabbath/Saturday to allow a genuine time for rest. Whereas in our economies, someone, somewhere, is always on duty forced to work. e.g. power plant, emergency room, etc. But not in God's kingdom.

So the purpose of Sabbath is also a lesson about prayer and faith, true dependence and reliance on God's provision. To "Give us this day our daily bread".

Inversely, Sabbath is also a judgement for the world, for law-breakers, and people who oppose God. There is no "blessing" for work done on Sabbath. It won't be fruitful. We would call it a waste of time, a non-performing asset, or a dead market (black Saturday) or something along those lines. The market collapses. So there's a cyclical concept, and if you study the stock exhange history, every 7 years (shmita, 7th year, God's "release") every stock market will shrink significantly. Following that, historically, the pattern is that nations will go to war. Likewise, working on Sabbath is explicit disobedience, a crime of capital punishment, death penalty.

"Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field. Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none." (Ex 6:28-27)

So the purpose of Sabbath is also a framework for the living vs the dead, God's sheep his elect his children vs the reprobate his enemies and children of Satan. It's a depiction of the spiritual war that began when Lucifer rebelled against Heaven, and the future war between Christ and the Serpent/Dragon per prophecy in Genesis.

Hence "salvation is of the Lord" and Christ is "Lord of the Sabbath". "For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day." (Mt 12:8) And "sabbath of the Lord thy God" (Ex 20:10).

Iow, choosing to work on Sabbath is akin to choosing to gather the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. It's failure to grasp to God's paradise. Like a servant gone rogue. So the Sabbath points to eternal rest, eternal salvation, in a new creation, new covenant, new kingdom, and in paradise.

For me, due to mostly to upbringing, I have tendencies towards workaholism and perfectionism, harsh self-criticism and constant feelings of under-achievement. Thus, Sabbath and God's provision is truly good news, refreshing hope. A weekly reminder to stop just stop. It's Friday night, the sun's gone down, and I've worked 15-18hrs all day everyday for God knows how long. And the project won't get any better. And there's always next week. Time for a break. Time to go home. Where true home and rest is only found in Christ, Lord of the Sabbath.

No judgement from me. Each to their own. The historic opposition to Sabbath was prompted by abuse of it, wrongful use. Ceremonial or ritual supremacy, is seen one way or another in all denominations. So you are right in pointing at the heart, as God weighs the heart, but you're also changing the subject to the matter of internalism vs externalism; obedience inwardly vs outwardly.

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Col 2:16)

Hence Paul wrote,

"Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." (Rom 2:24-29)

So the purpose of Sabbath for Gentiles then is less a ritual/ceremonial practice but an abstract or free-form obedience, varying with our circumstances as how and where the Lord called us to believe. I briefly commented about my personal practice in another thread.

Additionally, ime, the principles in Torah/Pentateuch are universally applicable to Jew or Gentile, or any religious or ethnic group. In Chinese philosophy and culture for example, the dominant group believes filial piety which often becomes abused as filial tyrany (dictator parents, or children who seize power and abuse elders). Whilst there have been minority philosophers who taught universal love (towards all people), specifying to do unto others not expecting a return but for the sake of others. So yeah, it's very much possible to be a "practicing Jew" and simultaneously a "Christian", in say communist and confucianist China, or anywhere in the world for that matter. If you know God's word and your heart is in the right place. But in any case, your conscience and the HS will guide your steps.
you've made some good points and thought out well. I appreciate the neutral focus taken with the requirement of the Sabbath. The requirement may be argued back and forth for ages but the purpose should remain the same which is a focus of principles over laws. I didn't want to get into the back and forth of the requirement but it seems others feel it's necessary. When I hear "The purpose of the Sabbath is to obey the 4th commandment" or "The purpose of the Sabbath is that we no longer keep it" then all that tells me is you missed the point. It's refreshing to see someone who actually knows the difference and can articulate it.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand Hebrews 4 just fine. It’s not me who has missed the big picture.
The whole premise you follow falls apart with the fact that there are Two rests mentioned not one. And the fact that the rest and the ceasing from our own works AS God did from His is a done deal not in part or something that is in the future.

Hebrews 4:10 says, he that entered into his rest. He being us whom are partaking of the Gospel. Have also, in addition to the rest which is in Christ Jesus also cease from our own works as God did from His. The word “as” denotes a direct comparison.
God did not enter to a spiritual rest as we do He is our Spiritual rest. He ceased from work on the Seventh day. So we whom have entered into the rest which is Christ Jesus also cease from our work, our physical work as the commandment dictates on the Seventh day as God did.

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
you've made some good points and thought out well. I appreciate the neutral focus taken with the requirement of the Sabbath. The requirement may be argued back and forth for ages but the purpose should remain the same which is a focus of principles over laws. I didn't want to get into the back and forth of the requirement but it seems others feel it's necessary. When I hear "The purpose of the Sabbath is to obey the 4th commandment" or "The purpose of the Sabbath is that we no longer keep it" then all that tells me is you missed the point. It's refreshing to see someone who actually knows the difference and can articulate it.
Funny, I have never seen the scripture that says, If you love Me, keep My principles and ignore My commandments.

In my opinion, the purpose of the law comes secondary to obeying God. If you trust Him, you will need to trust His laws, that He made them because they are good for us.

The principle behind the Sabbath commandment is spending time with God. It’s an appointment with God every Sabbath spending time in communion with Him through His Word, fellowship with others (holy convocation Leviticus 23:3) not speaking or doing our ways, but speaking His Word. Isaiah 58:13. It’s a day to put aside all of the stress of the world and recharge in His spiritual rest when we keep the Sabbath holy by focusing only on God. Hebrews 4:9-10 God gives 6 days for us Exodus 20:9 and only asks for one for Him. Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Freth and HIM
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does if it changes the meaning, which is something you seem to be doing.

I have no issue with the new moon on the New Earth and it changes not that we will be worshipping the Lord from one Sabbath to another, thus saith the Lord. Isaiah 66:23
Then to you would not have any issue with the bolded verses of the new earth provided in chapter 65?

New Heavens and a New Earth
17 “See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

Yet in chapter 66 verse 24 Isiah negates that supposed fact.
24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.

20 “Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
the one who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere child;
the one who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed.

21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people;
my chosen ones will long enjoy
the work of their hands.

23 They will not labor in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune;
for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.

• Winner
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Then to you would not have any issue with the bolded verses of the new earth provided in chapter 65?

New Heavens and a New Earth
17 “See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

Yet in chapter 66 verse 24 Isiah negates that supposed fact.
24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.

20 “Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
the one who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere child;
the one who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed.

21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people;
my chosen ones will long enjoy
the work of their hands.

23 They will not labor in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune;
for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.
I have no issue with these passages why would I?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no issue with these passages why would I?
No issue???? Then you believe we will remember all the dirty stuff like what is going on in Ukraine, the millions murdered in Russia, Germany, Africa China, north Korea and on the streets here at home, NO ISSUE? You believe we will die in Heaven and there will be those who are accursed. All that is why I have issues and you too should.

• Useful
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No issue???? Then you believe we will remember all the dirty stuff like what is going on in Ukraine, the millions murdered in Russia, Germany, Africa China, north Korea and on the streets here at home, NO ISSUE? You believe we will die in Heaven and there will be those who are accursed. All that is why I have issues and you too should.
So it appears you have the issue with God’s Word. Interesting interpretation of the scriptures you bolded, not how I believe those scriptures to read, but we do have free will. Take care

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Funny, I have never seen the scripture that says, If you love Me, keep My principles and ignore My commandments.
I think you've misunderstood the point of the thread. I wish to discuss the purpose of the Sabbath independent from requirement of the Sabbath. If you are unable to separate these things then I'm afriad this thread isn't for you.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think you've misunderstood the point of the thread. I wish to discuss the purpose of the Sabbath independent from requirement of the Sabbath. If you are unable to separate these things then I'm afriad this thread isn't for you.
No I did not misunderstand and for some reason you did not quote my whole post as I included the purpose. I’ll repost that part again.

I still think you need to consider what is important. When Abraham obeyed God and sacrificed Isaac did Abraham say to God- before I obey, tell me the purpose of your command? Abraham trusted God as should we. It should not be up to us to determine God’s purpose before obeying Him.

The principle behind the Sabbath commandment is spending time with God. It’s an appointment with God every Sabbath spending time in communion with Him through His Word, fellowship with others (holy convocation Leviticus 23:3) not speaking or doing our ways, but speaking His Word. Isaiah 58:13. It’s a day to put aside all of the stress of the world and recharge in His spiritual rest when we keep the Sabbath holy by focusing only on God. Hebrews 4:9-10 God gives 6 days for us Exodus 20:9 and only asks for one for Him. Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Well, it is a "commandment". Both a "principle" and "law". i.e. 'Rule of law', by law, de jure, code. It has reason, a heart, a purpose, more than legislation. It's "God's will", done by him, expressed by him. The law is king. There is no higher authority in the universe, no higher court to appeal to. What God says is the rule of life (or death).

Rule of law: "The mechanism, process, institution, practice, or norm that supports the equality of all citizens before the law, secures a nonarbitrary form of government, and more generally prevents the arbitrary use of power." (Brittanica)

Sabbath is ancient. It's a principle/pattern/precedence from the Creation sequence. Adam's first "day" of existence was a day of rest. Thus, it's "rest" and "holiness" that defines our existence. We were made for a higher purpose. We are not animals or slaves. Also we were made to work, easy work, and we are "consumers" per se. Hence Christ came "eating and drinking".

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. ... And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:" (Gen 2:2-3, 15-16)

Predating Sinai and Mosaic Law (Torah). Predating "law", strict legalism to the letter. Thus it's a "principle" in that it has an implicit or unwritten component, making it a "moral law". Also a "ceremonial law" (inapplicable/unenforceable to Gentiles, per Council of Jerusalem). And a sacrificial law (offering from the heart).

Truly, then no one has authority to "judge" (or condemn) since Sabbath-keeping is practically a priestly practice. It goes deeper than "holy convocation". When you read about it in the context of Creation and God's work with Israel, Sabbath is like a time machine, like a wormhole that rewinds/resets life. It bridges the Garden of Eden with New Creation, restoring divine order. Eradicating Satan, sin, and all the nasties, all enemies. It's good vs evil. Thus, weekly observance is tiny glimpse of hope, of a new life to come. Imo it's something in the very distant future, after death, after Christ's return, after war in heaven and on earth, after kingdom come, when creation is finally restored. All his sheep are gathered. Then we truly "enter into his rest", and "into Christ" as we say.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" (Gen 1:26)

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his." (Heb 4:9-10)

Sabbath also predates Satan's temptation of man, Cain's first murder (Thou shalt not kill). Evident in the order of commandments. Where the first 4 commandments are his, for God, anti-idolatry. And the 4th commandment bridges or segues from God into the human or "neighbourly" commandments.

Hence Sabbath is of God, "for man". That "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" (Mk 2:27) -- If however we practice legalism, the result would be enslavement to sabbath, idolising sabbath, a false man-made sabbath. Following after Pharisaic theology. Becoming ritual/superstitious observance exploited for profit (not benefiting the hungry, poor, oppressed, enslaved). Flipping God's "rest" into enslavement. Thus a road to death; a violation of the commandment to love God and not practice idolatry (visual, conceptual, actual). Becoming an ironic and sad mal-practice of sabbath. A fine line.

"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." (Ex 20:5-6) "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant." (Mt 23:11)

During holy days especially, 'God is at our service', and God's servants at the service of the world. "The elder shall serve the younger" (Rom 9:12) "Even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life as a ransom for many" (Mt 20:28) -- Also the tell as to whether a church or synagogue is true or false, whether the bishop/ministers/elders/deacons exploit office by exalting self, or serving and washing feet (figurative).

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another." (Gal 5:13)

Scripture has 735 occurrences of the number 7, plus multiples and derivatives. Studying this area (numerology?) tells a story about sabbath as God's completion/perfection. A time/event but also vehicle or context for landing in salvation: "And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark ...And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat." (Gen 8:1, 4)

Loving God means keeping the Decalogue. And keeping the Decalogue means loving thy neighbour. Loving thy neighbour means keeping the Decalogue. Truly a "double edged sword". It cuts both ways. It ups the ante. All or nothing. -- Understandably not for everyone. Predestination to life vs reprobation to damnation. Clean vs unclean. Saved vs unsaved.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Mt 7:21-23)

Divine order in the Decalogue: Sabbath (singular, individual, and collective) > Honour parents (procreators, elders, plural/collective) > Do not kill > not commit adultery > not steal > not bear false witness > not covet thy neighbour's anything.
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. Sabbath
  5. Honour parents (procreators, elders)
  6. Not kill
  7. Not commit adultery
  8. Not steal
  9. Not bear false witness
  10. Not covet
Sabbath appeals to man's free will, free choice to practice self-control, self-regulation. It's non-gender specific, non-denomination specific). The individual is independent of the group, and vice versa. "Wheat and chaff". "two men in a field". So the option to keep sabbath, not kill, not commit adultery, starts in the mind and the heart. Where the act of sin, disobedience, is a result of impure/unclean thought/intent. Mind over matter. Thus, sabbath functions as 'repentance' or 'purification', routine house cleaning. "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders" (Mk 7:21)
  1. evil thoughts
  2. adulteries
  3. fornications
  4. murders --- no rest = working to death
  5. (Then the neighbourly commandments)
  6. ...
  7. ...
  8. ...
  9. ...
  10. ...
The next part is social-regulation of others parents/siblings/family/community/church/world. Sabbath is governance, court/justice/judgement. e.g. Blue Laws. The purpose and reminder being that everything "holy" and "good" starts with the divine and proper order: First the individual "loves God" and has idols. A holy order, a hierarchy of duties and responsibilities. Conversely, by default, all else is "evil", wicked, godless, reprobate, damned, unfruitful, unblessed, cursed, etc.

It also means that someone born into family/system is guaranteed of salvation. e.g. Korah and the rebel army, or Esau. That "Birth right" is not above God's Law. And same would apply to contemporary Protestantism, ritual baptism (Baptismal salvation or Baptismal regeneration). Or doctrines like "once saved always saved" that discount/dismiss God's law and personal accountability. Denying that "every one of us shall give account of himself to God." (Rom 14:12)

Therefore, the Decalogue is the Royal Law, united, indivisible. And Sabbath is a central commandment. All historic biblical administration of grace happens on Sabbath.--- I'm not 7th Day Adventist, but writing this I can see why they are. There's a lot of truth to their view.

"The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." (Mk 12:29-30)

Remembering that Gentiles are "Jews in "keeping the righteousness of the law... inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit".

Likewise it's worthwhile studying all the forefathers, and what it means to follow God. In principle. Distinguishing what is applicable to Gentiles, as spiritually part of the nation of Israel, not by genetics, but by sharing the same values as the original forefathers. By "ingraft" from the HS. Citizenship retained "By faith". Hence the importance sabbath and the law.

"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went." (Heb 11:8) --- Likewise, there is uncertainty about the complete and exact "purpose" of sabbath. We know it relates to salvation, but what or where (geographically) should "rest" take place is unclear. All we have are clues in Scripture and evidence in creation.

Ezekiel 20 is rather explicit:

"Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them. ...Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols. ...And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God. Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols."

Know God. Be sanctified (washed holy, 1 Cor 6:11)). Protect the heart and eyes. Abstain from idolatry, historic idolatry.

The toxic environment is perhaps why Elijah went into God's cave for 40 days, why Christ went walking up mountains, hills, higher ground, why Moses vanished into the desert and God met him at a burning bush. All of them went to high points, high altitude. Temple Mount. Mt Jerusalem. Mt Sinai/Ararat. Also where Noah landed.
--- Altitude affects the body in fascinating ways. Analysis of High-Altitude De-Acclimatization Syndrome after Exposure to High Altitudes: A Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial

For Presbyterians/Calvinists, The Westminster Confession of Faith 1646, that I don't completely agree with because of replacement theology (I discuss that in another thread --- pro and anti-sabbath church history), but it starts off by saying:

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He hath particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto Him, (Exd 20:8, 10-11; Isa 56:2, 4, 6-7): which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week, (Gen 2:2-3; 1Co 16:1-2; Act 20:7); ... (switches to replacement theology)

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations, (Exd 20:8; Exd 16:23, 25-26, 29-30; Exd 31:15-17; Isa 58:13; Neh 13:15-19, 21-22); but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy, (Isa 58:13; Mat 12:1-13).

The public and private part is er, religiosity.

The necessity and mercy part is true per liberation. Weekly, but also the 7th Sabbatical year, Shmita Law, releasing slaves/servants/employees. i.e. contractual period of 6 yrs max. 7th year term is a rest or sabbatical year, with option to renew. Applicable to loans (interest free vs "usury" or interest loans that are illegal), work contracts (e.g. Jacob worked 7 + 7 years for Laban). And interestingly is a year for option to marry, taking leave from military service.

"Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the Lord: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard. That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land. And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee, and for thy servant, and for thy maid, and for thy hired servant, and for thy stranger that sojourneth with thee. And for thy cattle, and for the beast that are in thy land, shall all the increase thereof be meat."

Relating similarly to neighbourly care, at an immediate case by case basis, like the Good Samaritan. If you see that someone needs help, you help: "Thou shalt not see thy brother's ox or his sheep go astray, and hide thyself from them: thou shalt in any case bring them again unto thy brother." (Deu 22:1)

But Sabbath and Shmitta is functions locally (a person's foot prints, wherever David walked), nationally, globally, universally. Nation of Israel first, then "all nations", the entire world. All under Christ.

The geographic 'enviro' aspect is real since the Earth/planet is a living organism.

"The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?" (Ps 24:1) --- Duty of care with all of God's creation/property/possession. Matter of holiness in location/geography.

There are real problems with industrialised farming, 24/7 farming and depletion of nutrients in the soil/environment. Exploiting the soil until it becomes lifeless, infertile. Compensating with imported or chemical fertiliser. Poor crop design that destroys eco-systems that historically supported a variety of other plants and animals, inc. bees critical for pollination, that are instead dug up and burnt. Instead planting millions of say almond trees to capitalise on fashionable almond milk lattes... Or denying cattle their natural diet of grass and "chewing the cud" and instead force-feeding grain that poison and kills them, from their gut. It's unnatural. All metaphors for the state of mankind. "Through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you" (2 Pet 2:1)

So sabbath is much more than principle, law, requirement, or regulation. Sabbath rest links man to God, synchronising with him. And all the goodness that comes from him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No I did not misunderstand and for some reason you did not quote my whole post as I included the purpose. I’ll repost that part again.

I still think you need to consider what is important. When Abraham obeyed God and sacrificed Isaac did Abraham say to God- before I obey, tell me the purpose of your command? Abraham trusted God as should we. It should not be up to us to determine God’s purpose before obeying Him.
I don't think we should be discouraging questions about purpose in faith and I'm not sure why you would suggest that. Perhaps you misunderstand the sentiment here as you seem to be taking an offensive stance. I'm not a child talking back to their parent when asked to do something and snap back "What for!" My intent is not to question God but to study his purpose, not to find loopholes but to glorify him. I get it, tone is hard to communicate through online fourms but let's agree that we are all here for a common purpose to glorify God and I would only ask that you read each post with that in mind.

God bless.

I know this is something you have said before regarding the purpose and I do appreciate the engagement of the OP in this regard even if I tried to push you further. I think fundamentally the purpose of the Sabbath is rest (since that is what the word means) and I'm sure we all can agree on that. It's like saying the purpose of a stop sign is to stop. it is the most obvious answer but it does need to be unpacked more (why are we stopping?, why are we resting?) so I will assume that the focus of rest is where your answer begins. Where the values you state are very agreeable they don't seem very unique to the Sabbath itself. Of course, there are biblical examples as you have posted but there are biblical examples of the same things happening on other days too and it almost seems odd to proclaim this for the Sabbath day only.

To me the Sabbath (in purpose) is a greater concept than a law, day or event. I don't mean to challenge the practice of Sabbath here so don't interpret this as such be it yours or another's view (that's for another thread but not this one). The OP is using a broader sense of the word Sabbath than just limiting it to a day but if we were to look at the Sabbath law in a microscope then whatever purpose exists there must agree with a purpose we may see on the 7th day of creation (also in a microscope) or with scripture like Hebrews 4. Sabbath has a spiritual focus too so whatever the purpose it must cover and be agreeable in all aspects and meanings of the Sabbath isolated under a microscope or collectively zoomed out, abstract or concrete, spiritual or physical. the Purpose must be universal to it all and that's the purpose I wish to discuss.

• Agree
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we should be discouraging questions about purpose in faith and I'm not sure why you would suggest that. Perhaps you misunderstand the sentiment here as you seem to be taking an offensive stance. I'm not a child talking back to their parent when asked to do something and snap back "What for!" My intent is not to question God but to study his purpose, not to find loopholes but to glorify him. I get it, tone is hard to communicate through online fourms but let's agree that we are all here for a common purpose to glorify God and I would only ask that you read each post with that in mind.

I know this is something you have said before regarding the purpose and I do appreciate the engagement of the OP in this regard even if I tried to push you further. I think fundamentally the purpose of the Sabbath is rest (since that is what the word means) and I'm sure we all can agree on that. It's like saying the purpose of a stop sign is to stop. it is the most obvious answer but it does need to be unpacked more (why are we stopping?, why are we resting?) so I will assume that the focus of rest is where your answer begins. Where the values you state are very agreeable they don't seem very unique to the Sabbath itself. Of course, there are biblical examples as you have posted but there are biblical examples of the same things happening on other days too and it almost seems odd to proclaim this for the Sabbath day only.

To me the Sabbath (in purpose) is a greater concept than a law, day or event. I don't mean to challenge the practice of Sabbath here so don't interpret this as such be it yours or another's view (that's for another thread but not this one). The OP is using a broader sense of the word Sabbath than just limiting it to a day but if we were to look at the Sabbath law in a microscope then whatever purpose exists there must agree with a purpose we may see on the 7th day of creation (also in a microscope) or with scripture like Hebrews 4. Sabbath has a spiritual focus too so whatever the purpose it must cover and be agreeable in all aspects and meanings of the Sabbath isolated under a microscope or collectively zoomed out, abstract or concrete, spiritual or physical. the Purpose must be universal to it all and that's the purpose I wish to discuss.
I am not trying to be discouraging questions about one's faith, but I was showing you how in scripture one did not ask God His purpose in order to be obedient. I have been providing scriptures on the Sabbath from both the law perspective and from the purpose perspective, but you reject those scriptures and prefer to take one's opinions from people who argue against the Sabbath than from people who keep the Sabbath and are answering your questions directly from scripture. That is your free will, but if one is really trying to understand what God's intent is, you will only find your answer in God's Word, not from opinions from said non-Sabbath keepers.

That said, the first part of the Sabbath commandment is "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy" Exodus 20:8 so its more than just resting from our works, which if one will allow, the scriptures will reveal itself through scripture including the Sabbath which scripture has been provided in this thread.
God bless

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe from studying the New Testament we are not subject to the requirements of any of the old covenant laws. God gave all of them to Israel for a reason, a reason that really does not concern the salvation of new covenant Christians other than providing us much needed history. We can glean so much from those who lived in our past. Those who have the belief that for some reason we are subject to some of the laws of the old covenant have pointlessly used Heb 3 and 4 and many other verses to try to prove their point. They have disregarded Paul's admonition that we are not under the laws of the old covenant by trying to convince others that those admonitions mean something other that what is plainly written. I believe Paul was very explicit when he wrote: Gal 2:16
know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

That understood I believe the thread to be very interesting for history's sake. What really was the purpose of the very restrictive weekly Sabbath? It WAS for physical and mental rest which is something we all have to have in order to stay healthy. I admire those who uphold that principle.

In my first post I brought up the purpose of the old covenant Sabbath to be for salvation. This, I know, is extremely false and those who espouse such a reason are only parroting the originators. Our salvation is not because of something we have done or do, it is what Jesus Christ has done and doing for us. History is full of those who have an agenda and the ability to convince others they have some special truth and the only way to get it right is to follow them. Right now thousands are being killed because of the convincing agenda of Russia's sick leader. Also, a good read is the stories of 19th century William Miller and the second coming. Some remnants of his followers are still around persuading others to believe what they believe is the truth.

I have been duped into believing many things, but I consider being duped into believing I have to keep a day that was given to only one nation or I will loose my eternal reward is the worst dupe I ever once believed. Persuasion is a very powerful tool and churches use many different persuasions to fill their sanctuaries and the pockets of the persuaders. I pray that we all will be extremely wise and not allow anyone to control our minds.

• Winner
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, the purpose of the law comes secondary to obeying God. If you trust Him, you will need to trust His laws, that He made them because they are good for us.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children." (Hosea 4:6) "Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures" (Lk 24:45) "Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee." (Pro 4:5-6)

Gentiles especially lack knowledge, not having nearly the same history/tradition and knowledge base reach back to Moses. Our advantage however is that we were brought by the HS, clueless but unbiased (to an extent). We function as a kind of moral compass to bring the Jews back on track. Since they are the light of world (menorah), the chosen nation. i.e. they have both written and unwritten law (oral law). e.g. the MT + rabbinic network. The Essenes scribed the Dead Sea Scrolls, from perfect authenticated scrolls. We have none of this. In fact, we depend on Jewish texts. The main Gentile contribution is the TR, NT in Greek. And even our very "purest" translations in English don't exactly capture the symbolism or figurative language in Hebrew.

Time, chronology, calendar, order, relates to moedim (Feast of the Lord)... Making sabbath much more than "a day". It refers perhaps "a thousand days" or 7000 years (of human history). Not sure exactly but it's along those lines.

"Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the Lord your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: That thou mightest fear the Lord thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. ...Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee. And thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the Lord: that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest go in and possess the good land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers. To cast out all thine enemies from before thee, as the Lord hath spoken." (Deu 6:1-2, 17-19)

Oral tradition is "Halakhah, (Hebrew: “the Way”) the totality of laws and ordinances that have evolved since biblical times to regulate religious observances and the daily life and conduct of the Jewish people. Quite distinct from the Law, or the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible), Halakhah purports to preserve and represent oral traditions stemming from the revelation on Mount Sinai or evolved on the basis of it. The legalistic nature of Halakhah also sets it apart from those parts of rabbinic, or Talmudic, literature that include history, fables, and ethical teachings (Haggada). That Halakhah existed from ancient times is confirmed from nonpentateuchal passages of the Bible, where, for example, servitude is mentioned as a legitimate penalty for unpaid debts (2 Kings 4:1)." (Britannica)

"And Enoch walked (halak) with God: and he was not; for God took him." (Gen 5:24) "And Noah walked (halak) with God." (Gen 6:9) And Abraham: " I am the Almighty God; walk (halak) before me, and be thou perfect." (Gen 17:1) "And Jacob went (halak) on his way, and the angels of God met him." (Gen 32:1)

Christ said he was "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (Jn 14:6). Christ is the Hodos.

But it can also be said "Sabbath is the way" since the verb hodos relates to Sabbatou hodos or Sabbath day's journey or literally "Journey of the Sabbath". "The distance that one is allowed to travel on the sabbath, Acts 1:12 (see σάββατον, 1 a.). ἡ ὁδός with a genitive of the object, the way leading to a place (the Hebrew דֶּרֶך also is construed with a genitive, cf. Geseuius, Lehrgeb., p. 676 (Gr. § 112, 2; cf. Winer's Grammar, § 30, 2)): ἐθνῶν, Matthew 10:5; τῶν ἁγίων into the holy place, Hebrews 9:8, cf. 10:20, where the grace of God is symbolized by a way, cf. ζάω, II." (Thayers)

Iow, "Way of the Sabbath leading into the holy place". i.e. a mission or pilgrimage.

There are numerous references to "journeys" or sojourneys (temporary stays) throughout OT and NT. Sabbath is also this. A series of times and travels into the holy place. Periods of time that prepare us for end times, and eternal times. The way to God. The way home.

"Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands (Acts 7:48) "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1 Cor 3:16) "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." (1 Pet 2:5)

When person keeps Sabbath timing they are plugging into a universe that is praising God. A collective of individuals who make up the temple of God and the body of Christ. A net out of heaven that unites men under the same Lord. Hence we're taught to pray in secret and in privacy: "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (Mt 6:6) Yet we're taught to use collective pronoun... "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. ...Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" (Mt 6) --- All pronouns are in 1st person plural. Iow, it's universal worship, not bound by location, "church" building, or Temple building. No one has jurisdiction over the worshipper but God himself, not even Christ I'd argue since we're taught to address the Father directly. Same applies with sabbath, it's synchronising with God's being, his time, his essence, his Spirit.

• Informative
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
People have commented about “Sabbath” (singular) except there’s a dualism to Sabbath that no one’s mentioned yet. About light and dark, cycles, journeys, perspective, relating to Christ’s mission/work, stories from the OT, and how it all relates to person at a spiritual level. The divine perspective, and changes in human perspective: visually and mentally. The mind/life/psyche, dream states, sleep cycles, astrophysics and seasonal changes. But even now it sounds complex and convoluted. And honestly it’s quite a psychedelic topic, like describing a deep hallucinatory dream, but I assure you it’s in Scripture. And there’s a way to string it all together to make sense of it. — So if anyone’s genuinely interested, let me know and I’ll see.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe from studying the New Testament we are not subject to the requirements of any of the old covenant laws. God gave all of them to Israel for a reason, a reason that really does not concern the salvation of new covenant Christians other than providing us much needed history. We can glean so much from those who lived in our past. Those who have the belief that for some reason we are subject to some of the laws of the old covenant have pointlessly used Heb 3 and 4 and many other verses to try to prove their point. They have disregarded Paul's admonition that we are not under the laws of the old covenant by trying to convince others that those admonitions mean something other that what is plainly written. I believe Paul was very explicit when he wrote: Gal 2:16
know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

That understood I believe the thread to be very interesting for history's sake. What really was the purpose of the very restrictive weekly Sabbath? It WAS for physical and mental rest which is something we all have to have in order to stay healthy. I admire those who uphold that principle.

In my first post I brought up the purpose of the old covenant Sabbath to be for salvation. This, I know, is extremely false and those who espouse such a reason are only parroting the originators. Our salvation is not because of something we have done or do, it is what Jesus Christ has done and doing for us. History is full of those who have an agenda and the ability to convince others they have some special truth and the only way to get it right is to follow them. Right now thousands are being killed because of the convincing agenda of Russia's sick leader. Also, a good read is the stories of 19th century William Miller and the second coming. Some remnants of his followers are still around persuading others to believe what they believe is the truth.

I have been duped into believing many things, but I consider being duped into believing I have to keep a day that was given to only one nation or I will loose my eternal reward is the worst dupe I ever once believed. Persuasion is a very powerful tool and churches use many different persuasions to fill their sanctuaries and the pockets of the persuaders. I pray that we all will be extremely wise and not allow anyone to control our minds.
Amen brother! Sadly, certain “professing” Christians have fallen into the same trap as the Israelites in Romans 10:1-4. :(

May we never forget that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Believers have entered God’s “rest” and we are resting from our own work. We who have believed enter that rest.. Anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:3-10) The Genesis rest of God, applied to God’s creative purpose can be seen to typify the spiritual salvation of the people of God. That means the weekly Sabbath rest under the Law of Moses is a shadow of the true rest symbolically inaugurated at the seventh day of creation. This makes the weekly Sabbath day a metaphor of the Genesis rest of God, as was the Canaan rest.

In writing to the Hebrews, the author of Hebrews would not consider it necessary that keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law remains. There would have been no point to persuade the Jews to do what they were already doing, which obscures the theme of Hebrews chapter 3 and 4.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children." (Hosea 4:6) "Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures" (Lk 24:45) "Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee." (Pro 4:5-6)

Gentiles especially lack knowledge, not having nearly the same history/tradition and knowledge base reach back to Moses. Our advantage however is that we were brought by the HS, clueless but unbiased (to an extent). We function as a kind of moral compass to bring the Jews back on track. Since they are the light of world (menorah), the chosen nation. i.e. they have both written and unwritten law (oral law). e.g. the MT + rabbinic network. The Essenes scribed the Dead Sea Scrolls, from perfect authenticated scrolls. We have none of this. In fact, we depend on Jewish texts. The main Gentile contribution is the TR, NT in Greek. And even our very "purest" translations in English don't exactly capture the symbolism or figurative language in Hebrew.
Perhaps you misunderstood, I am in no way suggesting we should not seek God, or gain knowledge about God or seek wisdom, of course we should! I don’t think seeking knowledge should take away our ability to trust God or His laws or that He is required to reveal His purpose behind His commandments in order for us to obey. God’s character is revealed through His Word and through His commandments. So we should trust what God commands of us and that it is for our own good.

Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. Romans 7:12

Time, chronology, calendar, order, relates to moedim (Feast of the Lord)... Making sabbath much more than "a day". It refers perhaps "a thousand days" or 7000 years (of human history). Not sure exactly but it's along those lines.
A day is only a thousand years in prophecy.

God created the earth in six literal days and on the seventh day God rested from all of His work, blessed and sanctified the seventh day. Genesis 2:1-3. This has been the example from God of the week from the very beginning. Work 6 days and the seventh day is the holy day of the Lord and He commands us to also work 6 days and keep holy the seventh day Sabbath. Exodus 20:8-11.

The Israelites were told to gather manna for six days, but the seventh day Sabbath there was no manna Exodus 16:26 and to gather double manna on the preparation day (Friday) to eat on the Sabbath day. Exodus 16:22 If the Sabbath was every 1000 years all the Israelites would have died from starvation.

But it can also be said "Sabbath is the way" since the verb hodos relates to Sabbatou hodos or Sabbath day's journey or literally "Journey of the Sabbath". "The distance that one is allowed to travel on the sabbath, Acts 1:12 (see σάββατον, 1 a.). ἡ ὁδός with a genitive of the object, the way leading to a place (the Hebrew דֶּרֶך also is construed with a genitive, cf. Geseuius, Lehrgeb., p. 676 (Gr. § 112, 2; cf. Winer's Grammar, § 30, 2)): ἐθνῶν, Matthew 10:5; τῶν ἁγίων into the holy place, Hebrews 9:8, cf. 10:20, where the grace of God is symbolized by a way, cf. ζάω, II." (Thayers)

Iow, "Way of the Sabbath leading into the holy place". i.e. a mission or pilgrimage.

Acts 1:12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city.

I don’t see in scripture that one is only allowed to travel a certain distance on the Sabbath. This scriptures reads more as a statement to me than a command.

When person keeps Sabbath timing they are plugging into a universe that is praising God. A collective of individuals who make up the temple of God and the body of Christ. A net out of heaven that unites men under the same Lord. Hence we're taught to pray in secret and in privacy: "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (Mt 6:6) Yet we're taught to use collective pronoun... "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. ...Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" (Mt 6) --- All pronouns are in 1st person plural. Iow, it's universal worship, not bound by location, "church" building, or Temple building. No one has jurisdiction over the worshipper but God himself, not even Christ I'd argue since we're taught to address the Father directly. Same applies with sabbath, it's synchronising with God's being, his time, his essence, his Spirit.

There are a lot of opinions about the Sabbath, I am a big believer to go directly to the source, especially when it comes to a commandment written by the finger of God.

1. The Sabbath is a commandment of God written by the finger of God. Exodus 20:8-11
2. God commanded us to keep the seventh day Sabbath holy Exodus 20:8
3. We are to cease working on the Sabbath day -rest from our weekly work Exodus 20:10
4. God sanctifies us through the Sabbath Ezekiel 20:12
5. When we hallow the Sabbath it is a sign between God and His people. Ezekiel 20:20
6. The Sabbath is a holy convocation Leviticus 23:3
7. We are told to not to speak our words, or do our ways on God’s holy day, but the ways of the Lord. Isaiah 58:13
8. Jesus as our example kept the Sabbath by going to the Temples reading God’s Word Luke 4:16-22 like we are told “holy convocation”
9. The disciples preached and shared God’s Word on the Sabbath and reasoned with people on scripture Acts 13:42, Acts 13:44, Acts 15:12, Acts 17:2, Acts 18:4
10. It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath and the example being used-if an animal is in danger on the Sabbath, help it. Matthew 12:12
11. The Sabbath is meant for everyone Isaiah 56:6, Exodus 20:10 Mark 2:27
12: When we keep the Sabbath we enter into Christ’s spiritual rest Hebrews 4:9-10
13. We are blessed when we keep the Sabbath and it pleases the Lord. Isaiah 56:2, Isaiah 56:4, Isaiah 58:14
14. The Sabbath is a perpetual covenant Exodus 31:16 which we see God’s promise fulfilled -Isaiah 66:23
15. In the New Heaven and New Earth the Sabbath will continue to be the Lord’s day of worship Isaiah 66:23. God’s will for us is not different in Heaven as it is on earth.

I think the scriptures reveal a lot about the Sabbath, its the one commandment God said to “Remember” so its not one we should forget!

God bless and Happy Sabbath!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was showing you how in scripture one did not ask God His purpose in order to be obedient.
I think you misunderstand my motivation here because I'm not looking at purpose to define obedience so you might want to reconsider how you're approaching this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think you misunderstand my motivation here because I'm not looking at purpose to define obedience so you might want to reconsider how you're approaching this.
My approach in general is to look at the example that was left in scriptures by God’s prophets, the apostles and Jesus. I shared a lot of scriptures on the Sabbath which seems to reveal God’s purpose, so I hope that helped. God bless and Happy Sabbath!

Upvote 0