USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbatismos is used here to indicate the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son under the New Covenant in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Old Covenant of the Law. In this verse the writer is referring to a divine rest into which the believers enter in their relationship with God not just in eternity future but (in my opinion) also in the here and now while still on earth (albeit our spiritual rest will not be perfected until we reach glory in the presence of God).

Hagner - The rare Greek word for Sabbath-rest in this verse (sabbatismos) is deliberately used by the author in place of the word for “rest” used previously in his argument (katapausis) in order to emphasize that the rest of which he has been speaking is of an eschatological order-indeed, of the order of God’s own sabbath-rest. God’s sabbath-rest thus becomes a symbol for our rest. (New International biblical commentary: Hebrews)

Craig Evans

The author of Hebrews admonishes Jewish Christians to enter God’s “rest” (Heb 3–4). The author infers from Scripture and Israel’s history that “there remains a sabbath rest [sabbatismos] for the people of God” (Heb 4:9).

The reference here is not to weekly Sabbaths or to any particular holy day, but to the eschatological fulfillment of God’s will.

At this time all believers will enter God’s rest, or sabbath. (Dictionary of New Testament Background : A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship)

Walter Elwell writes that "the author speaks of a Sabbath rest (Gk. sabbatismos) again to connect the rest that the believer will obtain with the rest of God (He 4:4; Ge 2:2, 3). It refers not to the weekly Sabbath but to eternal salvation as different from and following upon this life of work. It should not be thought that this rest is inactivity, however, for God’s rest is not (Jn 5:17). Again, note the author’s characteristic emphasis on the futurity of salvation. (Evangelical Commentary on the Bible)

That was the Sabbath, and the God of the Sabbath of Pharisaism; this the rest, the enlightenment, the hope for them who laboured and were heavy laden, and who longed and knew not where to find the true Sabbatismos!

Unger commenting on Hebrews 4:9,10 writes that "Redemptive rest is available for God’s people. These verses refer to the rest called sabbath-keeping (sabbatismos, ‘a state of rest from labor’) which involves the believer’s resting completely in a perfect work of redemption (Heb 4:3,4) as God rested from a perfect work of creation, Heb 4:10. This rest of redemption reposes wholly in the work of the Cross, and ceases from all self-effort, human merit or legalistic claim as a means either to salvation or sanctification, 10 (cf. Ep 2:8, 9, 10). It projects the victory of faith in conquest over spiritual enemies (the world, the flesh and the devil). (The new Unger's Bible handbook)

Donald Guthrie - The description of the rest as a sabbath rest is important because it introduces a word (sabbatismos) which occurs nowhere else. It may have been coined by this writer (so MM), for it effectively differentiates between the spiritual kind of rest and the Canaan rest (the psalm has the word katapausis). (Hebrews: An Introduction and Commentary)

The related word sabbaton is used in Colossians…

Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath (sabbaton) day-- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Col 2:16; 2:17-notes)

Comment: Jesus fulfilled the Jewish regulations and celebrations by achieving perfectly the intentions they (and related to our present passage, the Sabbath day in the OT) only pointed to. The Sabbath Day was like a "giant finger" pointing to something far better. To go back to the old worn out picture is to miss His available rest. How ironic and how tragic. The very rest some attempt to attain by keeping legalistically the Sabbath they actually lose because they miss God's true rest, which was not a day but a Person, Christ Jesus! It is also relevant to note that the command to observe the Sabbath is the only one of the Ten Commandments not repeated after Pentecost.

Steven Cole

The author here uses a unique word for rest (sabbatismos), translated “Sabbath rest.” Some think that he coined the word.

It calls attention to the spiritual aspect of God’s rest. It goes beyond observing the seventh day as holy. It goes beyond entering the physical Promised Land. This Sabbath rest is a soul-rest.

It is what Jesus promised when He said, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and You will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Mt. 11:28, 29, 30). (Hebrews 4:1-11 Cultural Christianity versus Saving Faith)

Compare rest [katapausis] in [Re 14:13-note]

From the context this Sabbath rest is one in which a believer can enter today (Re 14:10-note) although obviously not as completely and fully as when we are in our future state of glory (Re 14:13-note). This Sabbath Rest for a believer is also described in the next verse as a rest from one's own works. What keeps a person from entering this "Sabbath rest"? (Re 14:11-note) "Disobedience" (which in turn in the context is a manifestation of unbelief - cp Hebrews 3:18, 19-note).

Craig Slane - Hebrews anticipates an eschatological “sabbath rest” (sabbatismos) that remains for the people of God (Heb 4:1-11). The term sabbatismos appears nowhere else in the New Testament, and may be the writer’s own creation to indicate the superiority of the coming rest to that of the seventh day. Though a superior quality of rest, it is still marked chiefly by the cessation of labor patterned after God’s rest on the seventh day. (Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology)

Exodus 31:13

But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Comment: Observe God's own interpretation of the meaning of the Sabbath in this verse -- it is a sign. What is it a sign of? As Youngblood writes "the sign of the Mosaic covenant is the observance and celebration of the Sabbath day (Ex 31:13, 17)." The Sabbath marked Israel out as God’s people. Observing the Sabbath showed that the Israelites were set apart (i.e., holy) to God.

Ray Stedman… in his discussion of The Rest Obtained Is New-Creation Rest (4:8-11)

The use of the term sabbatismos (“Sabbath-rest”) suggests that the weekly sabbath given to Israel is only a shadow of the true rest of God. Paul also declares in Colossians 2:16–17 where he lumps religious festivals, New Moon celebrations and sabbath days together as “a shadow of the things that were to come, the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Thus rest has three meanings: (1) the Promised Land; (2) the weekly sabbath; and (3) that which these two prefigure, that cessation from labor which God enjoys and which he invites believers to share.

This third rest not only describes the introduction of believers into eternal life, but also depicts the process by which we will continue to work and live, namely, dependence on God to be at work through us. “It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Phil 2:13-note).

This is in many ways the lost secret of Christianity. Along with seeking to do things for God, we are also encouraged to expect God to be at work through us. It is the key to the apostle’s labors: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Phil 4:13-note). Also, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal 2:20-note). Note, “I no longer live”—that is, I do not look for any achievement by my own efforts. Rather “Christ lives in me” and the life I live and the things that I do are “by faith”—that is, done in dependence on the Son of God working in and through me.

This makes clear that truly keeping the sabbath is not observing a special day (that is but the shadow of the real sabbath), but sabbath keeping is achieved when the heart rests on the great promise of God to be working through a believer in the normal affairs of living. We cannot depend on our efforts to please God, though we do make decisions and exert efforts.

Dr Robert Morey discusses this passage as it relates to the argument used by some (Seventh Day Adventists) to support the keeping of the OT Sabbath…

The Hebrews 4:9 Argument

The Sabbatarian Position

In this chapter the author of Hebrews clearly states that there remains for the Christian a Sabbath day of rest.

Examination of This Argument

1. This argument’s greatest proponent was the Puritan, John Owen. But the exegetical evidence against his Sabbatarian position is so great that no classic commentator can be cited who agreed with his interpretation. Even some of the Puritans, such as John Brown, rejected Owen’s interpretation.

With almost all the classic commentaries and exegetes against the Sabbatarian position on Hebrews 4, this at once makes us suspicious of its validity.

2. A careful exegesis reveals that Hebrews 4 is teaching the exact opposite of the Sabbatarian position. The context is clear on the following points:

a. God’s “rest” in Hebrews 3:18 stands symbolically for the promised land. Because of unbelief, most of the generation died in the wilderness instead of entering His “rest” (Heb 3:16, 17, 18, 19).

b. From this Old Testament example, the author now informs his audience that the promise of a greater “rest” stands before them (Heb 4:1a).

c. This “rest” is of such a nature that:

• We can fall short of it (Heb 4:1b).

• We fall short if we do not believe the Gospel (Heb 4:2).

• It is entered into by faith (Heb 4:3).

d. This “rest” is now drawn from another Old Testament example: God’s Sabbath rest (Heb 4:4).

e. The author combines God’s Sabbath rest with the “rest” of the promised land (Heb 4:5), and states that disobedience to the Gospel hinders anyone from entering “rest” (Heb 4:6).

f. Even now in the age of salvation, the age of “Today” (Heb 4:7; cf. 2Cor. 6:2), God calls us to enter a “rest”; a rest like God’s Sabbath rest; a rest like that in Canaan (Heb 4:9).The only reason for putting the word “Sabbath rest” (Greek, sabbatismos, Heb 4:9) instead of just “rest” as in the rest of the context is that the author had just used God’s “Sabbath” as an illustration or example.

g. The nature of the “rest” or “Sabbath rest” of Heb 4:9 is explained in Heb 4:10, 11.

• Just as God ceased forever from His works, even so we are to cease from depending upon or trying to produce works to merit salvation. The works we produce are elsewhere called “dead works” (Heb 6:1).

• Let us enter the “rest of faith” in the Gospel and persevere to the end. We must not fall into or rest upon dead works.

The conclusion of the author’s argument is given in Heb 4:14, 15, 16. In order to enter God’s rest, we must “hold firmly to the faith” (Heb 4:14) in Christ’s meritorious priestly atonement. Therefore, let us “approach the throne of grace with confidence” (Heb 4:16) in view of Christ’s work for us.

Conclusion - Hebrews 4 is a passage which shows that God’s Sabbath and the Promised Land were an eschatological foreshadowing of the believer’s rest of faith in the Gospel of salvation, accomplished by the sealing of the New Covenant by the blood of Christ. Heb. 4:9 does not say “Sabbath day” but rather “Sabbath-like rest” (sabbatismos). The context rules out the Sabbatarian interpretation, because the emphasis falls not on a day to be observed in this age, but on an eternal rest awaiting all who live by faith until the end (cf. Heb 3:14). (The encyclopedia of practical Christianity)

Hebrews 4:8-10 Commentary | Precept Austin

You do not need to show outside sources that the majority does not keep the commandments of God, including the Sabbath. It shows this right in the Bible. God’s Word, the scriptures is our only safeguard for God’s Truth, not man that leads people away from breaking the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9, Mark 7:6-8

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Of course you will have commentaries on misleading people to breaking one of God’s commandments, the one God told us to “remember” the devil goes to war with the remnant of God’s people who keep the commandments of God. God’s Ten Commandments found here Exodus 20 are a unit of Ten, not nine.

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:20

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not need to show outside sources that the majority does not keep the commandments of God, including the Sabbath. It shows this right in the Bible. God’s Word, the scriptures is our only safeguard for God’s Truth, not man that leads people away from breaking the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9, Mark 7:6-8

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Of course you will have commentaries on misleading people to breaking one of God’s commandments, the one God told us to “remember” the devil goes to war with the remnant of God’s people who keep the commandments of God. God’s Ten Commandments found here Exodus 20 are a unit of Ten, not nine.

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:20
As long as you continue to mix the old covenant of law with the new covenant there will be no reasoning with you. NOBODY except Jesus Christ has flawlessly obeyed the 10 commandments (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23) so "keep" the commandments of God cannot mean "perfectly obey the commandments of God," but it does means (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) the commandments of God (1 John 2:3) for the body of Christ in the New Testament, which does not include keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law (Colossians 2:16-17) which was for the children of ISRAEL. (Exodus 31:16; Deuteronomy 5:15)

As for the 10 commandments, in 2 Corinthians 3:6-9, we read - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. A ministry of death cannot save you.

The life of discipleship flows out of the new command, to love one another as He loved us. (John 13:34) Love fulfills the law. (Romans 13:8-10) References for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

• Agree
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbatismos is used here to indicate the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son under the New Covenant in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Old Covenant of the Law. In this verse the writer is referring to a divine rest into which the believers enter in their relationship with God not just in eternity future but (in my opinion) also in the here and now while still on earth (albeit our spiritual rest will not be perfected until we reach glory in the presence of God).

Hagner - The rare Greek word for Sabbath-rest in this verse (sabbatismos) is deliberately used by the author in place of the word for “rest” used previously in his argument (katapausis) in order to emphasize that the rest of which he has been speaking is of an eschatological order-indeed, of the order of God’s own sabbath-rest. God’s sabbath-rest thus becomes a symbol for our rest. (New International biblical commentary: Hebrews)

Craig Evans…

The author of Hebrews admonishes Jewish Christians to enter God’s “rest” (Heb 3–4). The author infers from Scripture and Israel’s history that “there remains a sabbath rest [sabbatismos] for the people of God” (Heb 4:9).

The reference here is not to weekly Sabbaths or to any particular holy day, but to the eschatological fulfillment of God’s will.

At this time all believers will enter God’s rest, or sabbath. (Dictionary of New Testament Background : A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship)

Walter Elwell writes that "the author speaks of a Sabbath rest (Gk. sabbatismos) again to connect the rest that the believer will obtain with the rest of God (He 4:4; Ge 2:2, 3). It refers not to the weekly Sabbath but to eternal salvation as different from and following upon this life of work. It should not be thought that this rest is inactivity, however, for God’s rest is not (Jn 5:17). Again, note the author’s characteristic emphasis on the futurity of salvation. (Evangelical Commentary on the Bible)

That was the Sabbath, and the God of the Sabbath of Pharisaism; this the rest, the enlightenment, the hope for them who laboured and were heavy laden, and who longed and knew not where to find the true Sabbatismos!

Unger commenting on Hebrews 4:9,10 writes that "Redemptive rest is available for God’s people. These verses refer to the rest called sabbath-keeping (sabbatismos, ‘a state of rest from labor’) which involves the believer’s resting completely in a perfect work of redemption (Heb 4:3,4) as God rested from a perfect work of creation, Heb 4:10. This rest of redemption reposes wholly in the work of the Cross, and ceases from all self-effort, human merit or legalistic claim as a means either to salvation or sanctification, 10 (cf. Ep 2:8, 9, 10). It projects the victory of faith in conquest over spiritual enemies (the world, the flesh and the devil). (The new Unger's Bible handbook)

Donald Guthrie - The description of the rest as a sabbath rest is important because it introduces a word (sabbatismos) which occurs nowhere else. It may have been coined by this writer (so MM), for it effectively differentiates between the spiritual kind of rest and the Canaan rest (the psalm has the word katapausis). (Hebrews: An Introduction and Commentary)

The related word sabbaton is used in Colossians…

Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath (sabbaton) day-- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Col 2:16; 2:17-notes)

Comment: Jesus fulfilled the Jewish regulations and celebrations by achieving perfectly the intentions they (and related to our present passage, the Sabbath day in the OT) only pointed to. The Sabbath Day was like a "giant finger" pointing to something far better. To go back to the old worn out picture is to miss His available rest. How ironic and how tragic. The very rest some attempt to attain by keeping legalistically the Sabbath they actually lose because they miss God's true rest, which was not a day but a Person, Christ Jesus! It is also relevant to note that the command to observe the Sabbath is the only one of the Ten Commandments not repeated after Pentecost.

Steven Cole…

The author here uses a unique word for rest (sabbatismos), translated “Sabbath rest.” Some think that he coined the word.

It calls attention to the spiritual aspect of God’s rest. It goes beyond observing the seventh day as holy. It goes beyond entering the physical Promised Land. This Sabbath rest is a soul-rest.

It is what Jesus promised when He said, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and You will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Mt. 11:28, 29, 30). (Hebrews 4:1-11 Cultural Christianity versus Saving Faith)

Compare rest [katapausis] in [Re 14:13-note]

From the context this Sabbath rest is one in which a believer can enter today (Re 14:10-note) although obviously not as completely and fully as when we are in our future state of glory (Re 14:13-note). This Sabbath Rest for a believer is also described in the next verse as a rest from one's own works. What keeps a person from entering this "Sabbath rest"? (Re 14:11-note) "Disobedience" (which in turn in the context is a manifestation of unbelief - cp Hebrews 3:18, 19-note).

Craig Slane - Hebrews anticipates an eschatological “sabbath rest” (sabbatismos) that remains for the people of God (Heb 4:1-11). The term sabbatismos appears nowhere else in the New Testament, and may be the writer’s own creation to indicate the superiority of the coming rest to that of the seventh day. Though a superior quality of rest, it is still marked chiefly by the cessation of labor patterned after God’s rest on the seventh day. (Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology)

Exodus 31:13 - But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Comment: Observe God's own interpretation of the meaning of the Sabbath in this verse -- it is a sign. What is it a sign of? As Youngblood writes "the sign of the Mosaic covenant is the observance and celebration of the Sabbath day (Ex 31:13, 17)." The Sabbath marked Israel out as God’s people. Observing the Sabbath showed that the Israelites were set apart (i.e., holy) to God.

Ray Stedman… in his discussion of The Rest Obtained Is New-Creation Rest (4:8-11)

The use of the term sabbatismos (“Sabbath-rest”) suggests that the weekly sabbath given to Israel is only a shadow of the true rest of God. Paul also declares in Colossians 2:16–17 where he lumps religious festivals, New Moon celebrations and sabbath days together as “a shadow of the things that were to come, the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Thus rest has three meanings: (1) the Promised Land; (2) the weekly sabbath; and (3) that which these two prefigure, that cessation from labor which God enjoys and which he invites believers to share.

This third rest not only describes the introduction of believers into eternal life, but also depicts the process by which we will continue to work and live, namely, dependence on God to be at work through us. “It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Phil 2:13-note).

This is in many ways the lost secret of Christianity. Along with seeking to do things for God, we are also encouraged to expect God to be at work through us. It is the key to the apostle’s labors: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Phil 4:13-note). Also, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal 2:20-note). Note, “I no longer live”—that is, I do not look for any achievement by my own efforts. Rather “Christ lives in me” and the life I live and the things that I do are “by faith”—that is, done in dependence on the Son of God working in and through me.

This makes clear that truly keeping the sabbath is not observing a special day (that is but the shadow of the real sabbath), but sabbath keeping is achieved when the heart rests on the great promise of God to be working through a believer in the normal affairs of living. We cannot depend on our efforts to please God, though we do make decisions and exert efforts.

Dr Robert Morey discusses this passage as it relates to the argument used by some (Seventh Day Adventists) to support the keeping of the OT Sabbath…

The Hebrews 4:9 Argument

The Sabbatarian Position

In this chapter the author of Hebrews clearly states that there remains for the Christian a Sabbath day of rest.

Examination of This Argument

1. This argument’s greatest proponent was the Puritan, John Owen. But the exegetical evidence against his Sabbatarian position is so great that no classic commentator can be cited who agreed with his interpretation. Even some of the Puritans, such as John Brown, rejected Owen’s interpretation.

With almost all the classic commentaries and exegetes against the Sabbatarian position on Hebrews 4, this at once makes us suspicious of its validity.

2. A careful exegesis reveals that Hebrews 4 is teaching the exact opposite of the Sabbatarian position. The context is clear on the following points:

a. God’s “rest” in Hebrews 3:18 stands symbolically for the promised land. Because of unbelief, most of the generation died in the wilderness instead of entering His “rest” (Heb 3:16, 17, 18, 19).

b. From this Old Testament example, the author now informs his audience that the promise of a greater “rest” stands before them (Heb 4:1a).

c. This “rest” is of such a nature that:

• We can fall short of it (Heb 4:1b).

• We fall short if we do not believe the Gospel (Heb 4:2).

• It is entered into by faith (Heb 4:3).

d. This “rest” is now drawn from another Old Testament example: God’s Sabbath rest (Heb 4:4).

e. The author combines God’s Sabbath rest with the “rest” of the promised land (Heb 4:5), and states that disobedience to the Gospel hinders anyone from entering “rest” (Heb 4:6).

f. Even now in the age of salvation, the age of “Today” (Heb 4:7; cf. 2Cor. 6:2), God calls us to enter a “rest”; a rest like God’s Sabbath rest; a rest like that in Canaan (Heb 4:9).The only reason for putting the word “Sabbath rest” (Greek, sabbatismos, Heb 4:9) instead of just “rest” as in the rest of the context is that the author had just used God’s “Sabbath” as an illustration or example.

g. The nature of the “rest” or “Sabbath rest” of Heb 4:9 is explained in Heb 4:10, 11.

• Just as God ceased forever from His works, even so we are to cease from depending upon or trying to produce works to merit salvation. The works we produce are elsewhere called “dead works” (Heb 6:1).

• Let us enter the “rest of faith” in the Gospel and persevere to the end. We must not fall into or rest upon dead works.

• The danger to which the author was addressing himself was apostasy, not which day was to be observed by Christians. The audience was tempted to return to Judaism, thus the author exhorts them to persevere in the faith, and he warns them of condemnation if they become disobedient to the Gospel.

The fact that this is the theme of the entire book and the thrust of chapter four is accepted by nearly all commentators. Why do the Sabbatarians ignore this broader and immediate context? The emphasis in Hebrews 4 is on a future rest that yet awaits all who persevere to the end in faith (cf. He 10:38, 39), and the author’s fear that by moving back under the Old Covenant they would fall short of that sabbatismos.

The conclusion of the author’s argument is given in Heb 4:14, 15, 16. In order to enter God’s rest, we must “hold firmly to the faith” (Heb 4:14) in Christ’s meritorious priestly atonement. Therefore, let us “approach the throne of grace with confidence” (Heb 4:16) in view of Christ’s work for us.

Conclusion - Hebrews 4 is a passage which shows that God’s Sabbath and the Promised Land were an eschatological foreshadowing of the believer’s rest of faith in the Gospel of salvation, accomplished by the sealing of the New Covenant by the blood of Christ. Heb. 4:9 does not say “Sabbath day” but rather “Sabbath-like rest” (sabbatismos). The context rules out the Sabbatarian interpretation, because the emphasis falls not on a day to be observed in this age, but on an eternal rest awaiting all who live by faith until the end (cf. Heb 3:14). (The encyclopedia of practical Christianity)

Hebrews 4:8-10 Commentary | Precept Austin

I believe your post here is the teachings and traditions of men over the scriptures and the teachings of the words of website over the Word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As long as you continue to mix the old covenant of law with the new covenant there will be no reasoning with you. NOBODY except Jesus Christ has flawlessly obeyed the 10 commandments (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23) so "keep" the commandments of God cannot mean "perfectly obey the commandments of God," but it does means (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) the commandments of God (1 John 2:3) for the body of Christ in the New Testament, which does not include keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law (Colossians 2:16-17) which was for the children of ISRAEL. (Exodus 31:16; Deuteronomy 5:15)

As for the 10 commandments, in 2 Corinthians 3:6-9, we read - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. A ministry of death cannot save you.

The life of discipleship flows out of the new command, to love one another as He loved us. (John 13:34) Love fulfills the law. (Romans 13:8-10) References for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

Here Dan let me help you here as your missing some scripture for some reason. It is you who is mixing up God's eternal law (10 commandments) with Gods' shadow laws of things to come fulfilled in Christ under the new covenant. According to the scriptures Gods 10 commandments have the same role they always have and that is to teach us the knowledge of good (moral right dong when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right dong when obeyed) as shown in the new covenant scriptures *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and if we break anyone of them according to James we stand guilty before God of sin as shown in James 2:10-11. Everyone of God's 10 commandments including God's 4th commandment are repeated in the new covenant. Here lets' add the scriptures back in that you have left out of your post above.

GOD'S 10 COMMANDMENTS REPEATED IN THE NEW COVENANT
  1. You shall have no other Gods before Me. - Luke 4:8; Matthew 4:10; Revelation 14:7)
  2. You shall make no idols - John 4:24; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 5:5; 1 Peter 4:3; 1 John 5:21; Revelation 2:14
  3. You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain. - 1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Binding on all Christians today - Matthew 24:20; Hebrews 4:9 (Colossians 2:16 is in reference to the annual sabbaths in the feast days) Mark 2:27-28, Hebrews 4:1-9; Matthew 12:8; Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56(Mark 2:28; Matthew 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelations 1:10
  5. Honor your father and mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2; Colossians 3:20; Matthew 15:4; Matthew 19:19
  6. You shall not murder - Matthew 5:44-45; Matt. 5:21-26; Romans 13:9; 1 Timothy 1:9; 1 John 3:15; James 2:11; Matthew 19:18
  7. You shall not commit adultery - Matthew 5:28, 1 Cor. 5:11, 1 Cor. 6:18, Galatians 5:19, Hebrews 13:4, James 2:11, Matthew 19:19, Romans 13:9
  8. You shall not steal - 1 Corinthians 6:10, Romans 2:21, Mark 7:21, Ephesians 4:28, Romans 13:9, Matthew 19:18
  9. You shall not bear false witness - Matthew 15:19, Ephesians 4:25, Col. 3:9; Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9)
  10. You shall not covet your neighbors possessions - Luke 12:15, Romans 7:7, Ephesians 5:3, 1 Timothy 6:10, Hebrews 13:5, Romans 13:9

You might want to consider that the name "Israel" is only a name given by God to His people who believe and follow what Gods' Word says. It is a name given by God that is independent of both the old and new covenant and was given to Jacob and his posterity before Moses. According to Gods' Word in the new covenant scriptures, Gods' people are now all those who are no longer born of the flesh of the seed of Abraham but are now all those who have been born of the Spirit to believe and follow what Gods' Word says (John 3:3-7) see Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:28-29; Romans 2:28-29. There is now no more Jewish and Gentile believers as we are all now one in Christ. Gentile believers have now been grafted in *Romans 11:13-26 and if you are not a part of God's Israel today you have no part in Gods' new covenant promise that was made to Israel *see Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27.

You might also want to consider that 2 Corinthians 3 is not saying that Gods' 10 commandments is abolished. Gods' Word does not teach lawlessness (without law). That is a false teaching. 2 Corinthians 3 is talking about the change of "ministrations". That is the ministration of condemnation and death that the law brings because of sin with the "ministration of the Spirit of life" that God's grace brings through forgiveness of sins through the precious blood of Christ! Your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3 has Paul in contradiction with Paul when he says faith does not abolish God's law like you are teaching in Romans 3:31 where Paul says genuine faith establishes Gods' law.

Now let's look at your claims in regards to Gods 4th commandment not being binding on Gods' people today and Colossians 2:16-17 in the next post.

more to come...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
WHAT IS COLOSSIANS 2:16 REALLY TALKING ABOUT?

As to Colossians 2:16? Yes many take this scripture out of context to the rest of the bible to try and teach that Gods' 4th commandment is a "shadow law" pointing to Christ. However, this teaching is not biblical. I have spent a lot of time prayerfully asking God and studying this topic for myself and I am happy to prove Colossians 2:16 is not a reference to Gods' 4th commandment by Gods' grace through His Word if you are interested. It's time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school. Let's ask God and see what His Word says for ourselves.

The scriptures say
  • Colossians 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day (Feast day), or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]
If you prayerfully look at this topic in detail and not surface read the scripture and separate it from context like many do, you will find Colossians 2:16 is not a reference to Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments but is a reference to the ceremonial "sabbaths" plural in the annual Feast days connected to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices that are shadow of things to come pointing to Jesus.

Paul here is actually quoting old testament scriptures in regards to the annual Feast days and ceremonial laws and sabbaths that were connected to these Feast days. I will show you examples of these shortly but let me ask, did you know that there was many different kinds of sabbaths (plural) in the Old Testament?

For example the annual Feast days included annual ceremonial sabbaths (plural) that unlike Gods' 4th commandment that is every "seventh day" *Exodus 20:10 on a continuous weekly cycle, the annual sabbaths in the Feast days could fall on any day of the week depending on the yearly cycle and were connected directly to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and sin offerings pointing to Jesus. All these shadow laws of remission of sins including the meat and drink offerings the new moons and the annual sabbaths (plural) in he annual Feast days for example included;
It is all these sabbaths (plural) that were connected to the old covenant earthly Sanctuary that were all shadows of things to come pointing to Jesus as the promised Messiah and Savoir of the world.

It is impossible that Colossians 2:16 to be talking about Gods' 4th commandment for God's 4th commandment has never pointed forward to things to come but points backwards to the finished work of creation *see Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11. Gods' 4th commandment was also made before sin and before law when mankind was sinless and there was no need for a gospel pointing to Jesus because there was no sin when God made the Sabbath for all mankind (see Mark 2:27; Genesis 2:1-3) only Adam and Eve created. Gods' 4th commandment points backwards to the finished work of creation (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11) not forward to things to come so cannot be a "shadow law" of anything.

Paul in Colossians 2:16 is actually quoting old testament scriptures..
  • Colossians 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in (1) meat, or in drink, or in respect of an (2) holy day (Feast day), or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]
from..
  • Ezekiel 45:17-21, It shall be the prince’s duty to furnish the burnt offerings, (1) meat offering and drink offerings, at the (2) feasts, the (3) new moons, and the (4) sabbaths, at all the appointed (5) feasts of the house of israel: He shall provide the sin offerings, grain offerings, burnt offerings, and peace offerings, to make atonement on behalf of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel. Thus says the Lord God; in the first month, in the first day of the month, thou shalt take a young bullock without blemish, and cleanse the sanctuary: and the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court. and so thou shalt do the seventh day of the month for every one that erred, and for him that is simple: so shall ye reconcile the house. in the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.
  • 1 Chronicles 23:31 and whenever (1) burnt offerings were presented to the LORD on the (4) sabbaths, at the (3) New Moon (2) feasts and at the appointed festivals. They were to serve before the LORD regularly in the proper number and in the way prescribed for them.
  • 2 Chronicles 2:4 [4] Now I am about to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God and to dedicate it to him for burning fragrant incense before him, for setting out the consecrated bread regularly, and for making (1) burnt offerings every morning and evening and on the (4) sabbaths, at the (3) New Moons and at the appointed (2) festivals of the LORD our God. This is a lasting ordinance for Israel.
  • Numbers 28:8-10 [9] And on the Sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a MEAT OFFERING, mingled with oil, and the DRINK OFFERING thereof: [10] This is the burnt offering of EVERY SABBATH, beside the continual BURN'T OFFERING, and his DRINK OFFERING.
  • Isaiah 1:10-14 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, THE CALLING OF ASSEMBLIES, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
  • Hosea 2:11 [11], I will stop her celebrations: her (2) yearly festivals, her (3) New Moons, her (4) sabbaths and all her (2) appointed festivals.
KEY POINTS TAKEN FROM THE SCRIPTURE
So what you can see here is that Paul is directly quoting old testament scriptures from Colossians 2:16 that are referring to the annual ceremonial sabbaths connected to the Old testament Sanctuary and meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and old covenant laws for remission of sins linked to the annual Feast days not Gods' 4th commandment which was Paul's custom in keeping according to the scriptures (Acts of the Apostles 17:2).

Application to other new covenant scriptures
  • Hebrews 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
  • HEBREWS 10:1-9
    [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins.
    [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME:
    [6], IN BURN'T OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
    [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God.
    [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW;
    [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
All the above new covenant scriptures link in with Colossians 2:16, the meat and drink offerings, and the sabbaths in the annual Feast days and the earthly Sanctuary and its laws for remission of sins. Colossians 2:16 is not telling us that Gods' 4th commandment is abolished.

SUNDAY KEEPING COMMENTARIES ON COLOSSIANS 2:16

I am not one for commentaries but for what it is worth these Sunday keeping scholars are all in agreement here in regards to Colossians 2:16 and what has been shared with you here.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

“... Or of the Sabbath days - Greek, “of the Sabbaths.” The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and particularly to the beginning and close of their great festivals. There is, doubtless, reference to those days in this place, since the word is used in the plural number, and the apostle does not refer particularly to the Sabbath properly so called. There is no evidence from this passage that he would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. If he had used the word in the singular number - “the Sabbath,” it would then, of course, have been clear that he meant to teach that that commandment had ceased to be binding, and that a Sabbath was no longer to be observed. But the use of the term in the plural number, and the connection, show that he had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the Ten Commandments. No part of the moral law - no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as “a shadow of good things to come.” These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal obligation. ...” - Albert Barnes, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Adam Clarke, states on the same passage:

There is no intimation here that the Sabbath was done away, or that its moral use was superseded, by the introduction of Christianity. I have shown elsewhere that, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, is a command of perpetual obligation, and can never be superseded but by the final termination of time. ...” - Adam Clarke, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states:
“... the sabbath — Omit “THE,” which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on Gal_4:10). “SABBATHS” (not “the sabbaths”) of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Lev_23:32, Lev_23:37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Lev_23:38 expressly distinguished “the sabbath of the Lord” from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb_4:9, “rests,” Greek, “keeping of sabbath” (Isa_66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Rom_13:8-10). ...” - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Colossians 2:16 Commentary.

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure if you realise but the punctuation is a distracting and patronising. Anyway.
But not all are as informed as you are. . .nor given to acknowledging the obvious connections.
As degrees of holiness exist as seen in the Holy of Holies, degrees of servility also exists, ranks in heaven (Mt 18) per se. e.g. the parable of the shrewd steward in Luke 16. That is, the weekly 7th day sabbath is an ordinary or unremarkable sabbath in comparison to the annual "high sabbath", etc, culminating in the Lord's Day and "serving God".

Evident in John 12:25-26: "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."

Originating in Exodus 9:1, "Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me."

Paul elaborates on this dichotomy of competing interests. "For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men." 1 Cor 7:22-23

This conveys the essence of sabbath as divine order and reforming of man's priorities/allegiance. Conveying notions both of liberty and servility.

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Rom 6:22)
Clare73 said:
". . .holy is "set apart from servile labor."
Almost but not quite. From what to what? You see.
Isn't that obvious in the context?
From labor to rest.
I'd argue sabbath is a 'from this to that' logic. From difficulty to ease, imperfect to perfected work. From serving the Prince to serving the King.

Psalm 4:3, But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Shadow" is used a lot round here, usually in a replacement theology sense. i.e. "Christ has done away with the sabbath". Which is untrue given that he is "Lord of the sabbath" where sabbath then forms part of his identity/nature/job description. Understood by his priestly ceremonial role/duty, restoring not merely the nation of Israel but "all nations" and all of creation.

Thus, the "when" in sabbath is both a constant/ongoing/weekly thing as much as it is a final/complete thing. Iow, "Christ" does not eclipse or replace sabbath making obsolete but "fulfills" the sabbath, filling it to it's full meaning: global and eternal.

"Shadow" is true as a new light casts a shadow on the former light, indicating progression per Menorah element discussed above. Prefiguration or presage instead may be a more helpful.

Christ entering in the Holy of Holies can be pictured like a rain drop in a still body of water, with concentric ripples emanating into the whole world. Except it is "water and blood".

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Clearly you don't understand types and shadows. The shadows does not continue to exist once it has been fulfilled. Christ is that fulfilment.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Clearly you don't understand types and shadows. The shadows does not continue to exist once it has been fulfilled. Christ is that fulfilment.
Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the shadow laws of remission of sin through animal sacrifices and sin offereing under the Levitical Priesthood that point to Christ from the Mosaic book of the covenant. Not Gods' 10 commandments. Go read the scripture context of Hebrews 10:1-22

Let's add some of the scripture context back in...
  • HEBREWS 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshipers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins.
    [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME:
    [6], IN BURNT OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
    [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God.
    [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW;
    [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
Note as shown above from the scriptures the contexts of Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the laws of remission of sins and sin offerings not Gods' 10 commandments.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the shadow laws of remission of sin through animal sacrifices and sin offereing under the Levitical Priesthood that point to Christ from the Mosaic book of the covenant. Not Gods' 10 commandments. Go read the scripture context of Hebrews 10:1-22

Let's add some of the scripture context back in...
  • HEBREWS 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshipers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    [6], IN BURNT OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
Note as shown above from the scriptures the contexts of Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the laws of remission of sins and sin offerings not Gods' 10 commandments.

Hope this is helpful.

The law is the law. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the law you want to keep. You either keep all of it, or none of it.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The law is the law. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the law you want to keep. You either keep all of it, or none of it.
Not according to the scriptures. The "shadow laws" for animal sacrifices and sin offering under an earthly Sanctuary and the Levitical Priesthood with the physical sign of circumcision from the Mosaic book of the old covenant *Exodus 24:7 written by Moses are not the same as Gods' eternal laws written on stone by the finger of God that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken under the new covenant *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Adding to the earlier for or against point, that sabbath is communion/fellowship with God: sabbath is an opportune time for a person's allegiance to the author of life to connect with his maker, as opposed to denying him.

This sabbath's parashat (Numbers 13:1-15:41) uses Canaan as an example, a nation born from the son of Shem, was cursed by Noah (Gen 9:22-26), that later made child sacrifice to Moloch.--And truly prophecy was fulfilled in this regard since the Jerusalem was built on the territory such sacrifices were made.--The heads of 12 tribes are appointed to "search the land of Canaan" (spy? judge?), with the passage continuing to explain the jurisdiction for God's law as applicable "also for the stranger that sojourneth with you" (Num 15:14-16). That, "One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you." (v 16).

It mentions the sin/error of presumption, for those who operate outside of the law: "But they presumed to go up unto the hill top... Then the Amalekites came down, and the Canaanites which dwelt in that hill, and smote them" (Num 14:44-45) Ignorance as presumption, as the law is both universal and indiscriminate among God's people: "Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them. But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him." (Num 15:29-31)-- This of course speaks to every person's heart, sin causing a rebellion from within.

The passage moves right into application of the law, with a case of capital punishment being dealt to the sabbath-breaker who's made an example of: "Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him. And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day." (Num 15:31-32)

The universality of God's law is hinted at in the conclusion, as freedom from bondage (to sin), in both the literal and metaphorical sense. The Israelites are clearly notable being liberated specifically from Egyptian oppression, but the same kind of liberty or salvation is understood by any slave to Rome, Western capitalism, Islamic tyranny, Chinese communism, etc, etc. Albeit less pronounced and esteemed, less noble, it is nevertheless the same salvation in Christ.

"And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God. I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord your God." (v 39-41)

That the time of itself is a mark of holiness/blessing, set by "I am" who exists independent of time/creation. That time as a creation is a way that God chose to interact/fellowship/commune with his creation. Hence Scripture mentions "appointed times" like appointments with God himself, when he has chosen to condescend himself to creation.

Charlie Garrett discussed the implications of that here:

This also ofc alludes to the obvious, that our God is NOT currently here, and it is thus like Malachi's era that we live in a time of mourning. We're told that "in the last days perilous times shall come" (2 Tim 3).

As I mentioned before that others disagreed with, "sabbath" although offering a moment of hope is for now not necessarily a "happy" event. It is incomplete or imperfect. It is what it is, not to be made an idol of. Knowing that the state of the world is like being in an empty doctor's office where one has no choice but to wait patiently, looking forward to the "Lord of the Sabbath" returning. Amen.

Blessings to all

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I suggest stepping back to see God's grand scheme globally less individually, as this discussion and the mere knowledge and practice of sabbath by Gentiles indirectly provokes jealousy in Israel. That is, en masse a future generation of Israel to repent and accept their Messiah, similar to Gentile experience but occurring within Israel as they are "a stiffnecked people" (Ex 32:9). Intentionally or not this is the effect this topic of discussion has on what is egocentrically seen as 'their religion', where sabbath is genetic and cultural seen to belong to "Judaism" as both individual and national identity, dating back to Moses as an exclusive nation chosen by God. The in-exclusivity then of sabbath bewilders some Jews, intensely infuriating others.

"God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. ...But rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy." (Rom 11:11)

We can be certain this is God's work, since Gentile conversion in Acts, and arguably earlier "by faith" in Abraham leaving Ur/Babylon/Chaldean culture (Gen 12:1).

"But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you." (Rom 10:19)

The historic butchering of "sabbath" by the Early Church, prohibitions against etc, must be seen as one of the first waves of antisemitic movements to unfold in history. A war against God, and against Israel. This separated a momentarily united (spiritually united) group in Acts of "both Jew and Gentile", once again divided. The diaspora from Jerusalem is akin to the diaspora from Babylon.

Plus there's the geographic symbolism that ties sabbath to the Holy Land, promised land, milk and honey, a place for rest and peace: symbolic of heaven, new creation, global restoration. e.g. direction of prayer is often towards Jerusalem.

"But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard." (Lev 25:4)

Sabbath then is truly a "remembrance". A remembrance of one of the earliest memories of the human race when Adam and Eve did not sow seeds or prune branches, once upon a time when mankind did no work. A memory none of us pro-created beings have ever truly known. We only get glimpses. How can any one then have authority to discuss this topic? One can only speculate, which explains the confusion. Yet somehow we must remember, the commandment is to remember. So the very notion of sabbath as a law, as a mandate set by God. Therefore, the sense of frustration and inconvenience surrounding sabbath, is a manifestation of sin/depravity as rebellion against God and his sabbath. Yet it is also a hope promised by God himself. Being for God's purpose, written and legislated.

It is both a "sabbath of the Lord thy God" (Ex 20:10) as well as a sabbath "made for man" (Mk 2:27), in that the will of God and the mankind are in union/agreement as it was originally in Eden.

Edit: Quote from this weeks parashat reinforces the above, land symbolism, and moral/spiritual implications of sin.

"And the land be subdued before the Lord: then afterward ye shall return, and be guiltless before the Lord, and before Israel; and this land shall be your possession before the Lord. But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the Lord: and be sure your sin will find you out." (Num 32:22-23)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe o
The context of the passage says different.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Post #130 seemed to fly over some heads when mentioning that sabbath is not necessarily a state of "happiness" but more than likely time of "sadness". This ought to be clarified since being interrupted.

That is, sabbath is a marker of time less an assured or perpetual emotional state, be it happy, euphoric, sad, depressed, anxious, or whatever state as per man's understanding. Because it is God's established time, for his purpose, yet it is "for man", and Christ is the "Lord of the sabbath". So although sabbath as a term is often used synonymously for 'worship', 'church service', 'synagogue' attendance, 'hallel', etc, the word "sabbath" itself does not necessarily mean these things.

Quoting here again from this week's parashat in Mt 24, in the context of Deu 1-3 and Joshua's military conquests in the Holy Land. "And I commanded Joshua, at that time, saying..." (3:21, also 18). The response being as "We have sinned against the Lord, we will go up and fight, according to all that the Lord our God commanded us. And when ye had girded on every man his weapons of war, ye were ready to go up into the hill". (1:41)

This theme of war and or 'tribulation' correlates with the Lord's words in Mt 24 surrounding the apocalypse. The point being that 'sabbath' is dependent on and determined by God's provision at that time. Emotional state is unassured. In the passage/prophecy 'sabbath' is likened to "Winter" warning explicitly of coming "sorrows", "great tribulation", and that "there no flesh (will) be saved".

So whilst the individual's experience will vary the marker of time itself is fixed, true, and indiscriminate (as to Jew or Gentile, believer or unbeliever, saved or unsaved, elect or unelect, etc), even the apocalyptic events coincide with the sabbath, very possibly triggered by sabbath timing, per patterns/schedules in the Lord's ministry.--"As (in) the days of Noah" (Mt 24:37)--There is no religious exemption or favouritism with God. "For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law" (Rom 2:11).

The physical and geographic context of the passage implies that whether a person is in or outside the temple, or the Holy Land, the event(/s) nevertheless must occur, without partiality. Leniency as to duration however is promised, "for the elect's sake".

The implication is that Joshua pre-figures Yeshua, like a shadow from history, where Yehoshua means 'God is deliverance' and Yeshua means 'to deliver' or 'to rescue'. Implying that such deliverance will come, and ofc from something unideal, not a happy place.--Per both passages: Christ being the great salvation following the great tribulation.-- Per the invasion/conquest of Jericho in Josh 6:15, representing the oldest continuous inhabited city in Mesopotamian/Babylonian civilisation. "And it came to pass on the seventh day, that they rose early about the dawning of the day, and compassed the city after the same manner seven times: only on that day they compassed the city seven times."

"And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. ... But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. (Mt 4-8, 21-22)

Happy Sabbath friend! Faith does not require purpose does it? As if we need to understand is a fallacy and prideful in respect to God’s will. What kind of understanding could have Abraham understood while he was about to sacrifice Isaac?

In history there have been very sad and seemingly hopeless Sabbaths... ...

However, Yom Kippur or Judgement Day is the 'Sabbath of Sabbaths', and we know in Revelation it will be a sad day of tragedy, witnessing the execution of God's enemies and very likely certain family members and people we know. "It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever." (Lev 16:31)

תְּעַנּוּ אֶת־נַפְשֹֽׁתֵיכֶם
ye shall afflict your souls

עָנָה anaw: “the idea of looking down or browbeating); to depress literally or figuratively, transitive or intransitive (in various applications, as follows):—abase self, afflict(-ion, self),” (Strongs) ... “to bestow labour upon anything, to exercise oneself in anything... (2) to be afflicted, depressed, oppressed ... to oppress, to depress, to afflict... " (Gesenius)

This "affliction" involves 'work' for God. De-constructive works for lack of better term. Opening the gates and letting people leave work, go home, to go get food, medical, transport, ‘works of mercy’. The verb “release”.

The doctrine lacks a proper clause about "neighbour". Actual benefit to people. A direct focus on people. Yes, there's "rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath." And "delightful communion with God and one another." Blah blah, but these are blanket statements. After thoughts. Religious gibberish.

"The gracious Creator". Even the opening words are false/inaccurate. It uses the correct word "Sabbath" (Shabbat, שַׁבָּת) yet ironically/contradictorily uses an false/incomplete title for God ("Creator") that he himself didn't use. -- This itself is blasphemy, but anyway that might pass as ignorance. -- Because, out of the 16 OT titles, the title it is most likely referring to, Elohim, means "God, Judge, and Creator". It's this element of judgement/justice, judicial wisdom, weighing of all evidence, balance of probabilities, that your points fail to grasp. Hence complete misunderstanding, unable to differentiate "purpose" with "obedience" (they are not synonymous: i.e empty legalistic obedience vs fulfilling spiritual obedience via the heart/purpose of the law). O.T. Names of God - Study Resources

The verb choice "requires" is telling. Lacking voluntary freedom of choice is tyrannical.

"As a memorial of Creation". Kind of true. Firstly why is "Creation" capitalised as a pronoun? Is that to say "Sabbath is as a memorial of God"? Again, a false title, that's not true. -- This itself is violation of the first 3 commandments, inc. imitation "likeness of any thing that is in heaven" --- This is perhaps the reason for misunderstanding the "purpose" of Sabbath. Because God is not the object of Sabbath. Not at all. Hence the "Sabbath was made for man" (Mk 2:27).

Correct.

"Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place. Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, are these. For if ye throughly amend your ways and your doings; if ye throughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbour; If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt: Then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, for ever and ever. Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit." (Jer 7:3-8)

Blessings to all

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath was surely not meant for all of humanity. If it were our eternal Father who created all would have communicated this to every one His children. Sabbath was a day set aside for the Children of Israel and those who joined their ranks. It was one of the 613 commands of the covenant God gave to His chosen people. His chosen people failed to keep Torah. God has given all mankind a new and better covenant through His Son, Jesus Christ and this new covenant was inaugurated at Calvary and ratified not by the blood of bulls, but by Jesus own blood. The 613 laws of the old covenant are SHADOW laws. Jesus is our reality. Israel believed the keeping of Torah would guarantee their dwelling in the land of Canaan, we believe believing in Jesus and doing His commands will guarantee us eternal life with Him in Heaven and the Earth made new. John 15 verses 9-14 tells us Jesus kept His Father's commandments (Torah) and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. His promise to us is that even though we sin He is able to keep us from falling and present us before the Father white as new snow.

Had Israel kept every jot of the Torah the Torah could not save even one soul, but Jesus Himself through His shed blood has made Jews and Gentiles one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the Torah with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. Paraphrased from Eph 2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟540,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath was surely not meant for all of humanity. If it were our eternal Father who created all would have communicated this to every one His children. Sabbath was a day set aside for the Children of Israel and those who joined their ranks. It was one of the 613 commands of the covenant God gave to His chosen people. His chosen people failed to keep Torah. God has given all mankind a new and better covenant through His Son, Jesus Christ and this new covenant was inaugurated at Calvary and ratified not by the blood of bulls, but by Jesus own blood. The 613 laws of the old covenant are SHADOW laws. Jesus is our reality. Israel believed the keeping of Torah would guarantee their dwelling in the land of Canaan, we believe believing in Jesus and doing His commands will guarantee us eternal life with Him in Heaven and the Earth made new. John 15 verses 9-14 tells us Jesus kept His Father's commandments (Torah) and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. His promise to us is that even though we sin He is able to keep us from falling and present us before the Father white as new snow. Had Israel kept every jot of the Torah the Torah could not save even one soul, but Jesus Himself through His shed blood has made Jews and Gentiles one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the Torah with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. Paraphrased from Eph 2.
Brother, your point of view says that the new covenant of Jesus is something completely different from freeing us from our slavery to sin by separating sin from our character through the new birth of learning our way again thanks to God's cycle of forgiveness, when it was promised from the beginning to Adam and Eve. What He started with Israel with the Ten Commandments is what He continues with the faster cycle of forgiveness from Jesus as our High Priest, as Jesus tells us in the following passage. This faster cycle of forgiveness allows us to "surpass" His previous Ten Commandments by Jesus adding an Eleventh Commandment. In fact, since Jesus obeyed the Ten Commandments and we are to "follow" His example in the Eleventh Commandment, all of the previous commandments are included in the Eleventh Commandment. Jesus' new commandment surpasses His previous commandments in the new covenant with an additional commandment that was not possible before Jesus: to "follow" His example.

Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.’” The man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Luke 18:18-22 NLT)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Had Israel kept every jot of the Torah the Torah could not save even one soul, ...

The Lord said, "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Mt 10:34) "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." (Mt 10:22)

Per Ex 31:14-15,

"Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

The entire nation of Israel most certainly lived whilst one man ("a man", אִישׁ) died by execution, for sabbath-breaking. An exception is not an exemption. It was a unanimous ruling: “And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." (Num 15:32-36)

Post-apostolic council or Council of Jerusalem it is different, having the Messiah come, and the Holy Spirit, certain things like signs like circumcision of the flesh signifying adherence to God's law, the supernatural, etc, although true became redundant or obsolete in light of the Holy Spirit circumcising men's hearts. But this does not render the law untrue or impotent. Certain portions have always applied to certain groups, e.g. women's laws, priestly laws, ceremonial laws. It doesn't make them less true or impotent. Only the application changes.

Likewise, the veil does not signify enmity between JEWS and GENTILES, but between GOD and mankind. Since before Christ there were serious physical barriers to reach the Holy of Holies/Ark/Tabernacle. And even if an outsider reached Jerusalem there had to be annual temple rituals, admin by a priestly class, and sacrifices. A King even was powerless. e.g. King David fasted and King Josiah ate vegetables his entire life. But since God himself entered the world, walked among mankind, divinely sacrificing himself, the physical barrier are no more. He tore his own veil. Thereby, no longer require an intercessor for prayer on behalf of the country etc since God has chosen to dwell in men's hearts, where a man prays directly to the Most High.

Meaning that each believer is his own priest, to an extent. "a royal priesthood of believers" (1 Pet 2:9). Under Christ's Melchizedkian priesthood, distinctly separate from Aaron and Levi. And predates both Aaron and Levi to Abrahamic times. "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith" (Eph 3:17)

Thus, Christ explicitly taught followers to pray directly, "Our Father in heaven" implying the guarantee we will be heard. Without red-heifer, fire, incense, etc. Additionally, there is intercession via Christ's name itself: "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." (Jn 14:13)

Many factions of 'Jews' existed in Christ's time, worshipping in the same synagogues. With all their disagreements they still united in faithfully reading/preaching the same Torah weekly. The Gentile conversion and the early church would have joined them, and the Early Church was that. Excecpt all things 'Jesus Christ' certain Jews rejected. "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not" (Rev 3:9)--Beware of this. And beware of anti-semitism from within Christendom. Both are evils.

I believe Christ refers to the pharisee and sadducee class who became the dominant/mainstream 'Jews' that the Western world thinks of when 'Jew' or 'Israel' are mentioned. Their belief is based on the teacher The Rambam or Maimonides (1138—1204) who's Muslim name was Abu Imran Musa ibn Maymun ibn Ubayd Allah or Servant of Allah.-- The problem with this is that Ruth was a Jew and a Moabite woman. Moses' 2nd wife was a Jew yet an Ethiopian. Etc, etc. So again, genetics is meaningless. It is trumped by behaviour and life choices. Commandment-keeping, truth, faith, love.

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:" (Eph 4:15)

Blessings to all

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture supplies this thesis: "Wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." (Ex 20:11) The anti-thesis then is the opposite, a life unblessed and unhallowed by the Lord. i.e. cursed and evil, by deduction. i.e. a life of slavery or bondage.

See Vice News, 2014 for context in the West. How purchasing habits and the timing of that affects others, the workers. To help understand that sabbath then enriches one's life in all facets, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically, an all round well-being, per God's timing.--n.b. This is intended to be informative, not provocative or offensive.

Quote from comments (2yrs ago): "I was a temp in Seattle. There were other 'temps' who were at my place of employment for 7 years. That is 7 years without a single day off with pay, no benefits and half the salary of the real employees. And we were treated as 'less than' the entire time."

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Sabbath is a divine measurement system, not merely a 'moral' commandment or 'ceremonial' commandment. Time and measurement of time is tantamount to salvation/life/peace/blessing etc. It is throughout Scripture from the beginning. To disregard or ignore sabbath and shmita is blindness. Regardless of dispensation or covenant, time remains constant, as does the unfolding of God's will. Messianic posts that suggest 'Christ as the fulfilment' or 'Christ as the reality' of sabbath is true however those statements alone are lacking. They beg the question of the OP, and leaves a person to wonder, What is then 'the purpose of the sabbath'?

Theology must be understood through the lens of Christ AND Israel. Gentiles being subject to Jerusalem/Israel in the same way that the first council of Jerusalem was an Apostolic Council (50 AD). Likewise the Early Church was never meant to be separate or autonomous, it originally functioned as one within Judaism (Messianic). Everyone gathered, read/heard Torah/Scripture, sang Psalms and worshipped altogether. Gentiles are not supreme or dignified, we have no right or authority to pick and choose commandments. We are privileged members not the primary or ancestral group of the saved/elect. Citizenship came to us ‘by grace’.

Sabbath ignorance and blindness is particularly problematic, worsened by the conceit of the Western world view, and certain historical developments.

Gentiles are “ingrafts” or foreign imports into the Hebrew world/kingdom, into the promise of Abraham that came “by faith”. We are ‘spiritual people’ less by circumcision or any physical ritualism, and this spiritualism or reliance on the Holy Spirit does not ‘replace’ or discount the origin and root. The root being Christ, a Jew. The root promise made to Abraham, by his faith.

The ‘new covenant’ does not preclude the old. i.e. ‘Christ’ does not look backward to reverse/abolish the covenants to Adam, Noah, or Abraham.

The very first word of Torah puts a spotlight on the significance of time - “in the beginning” (Gen 1:1), and according to Rabbinic tradition, the very first commandment given to the children of Israel after being delivered from Egypt was to sanctify the “New Moon” (Ex. 12:1-2), thereby departing from the solar tradition of the Egyptians (Ra worship).

God’s system differs from the world’s, it is ‘set apart’, for Gentiles to be differentiated from pagan ancestry/tradition in the same way Israel was liberated from Egyptian slavery. But in the Gospel age it has become open and applicable to ‘all kingdoms’, via the Holy Spirit. Hence, “There is no new thing under the sun” (Ecc 1:9).

Days in the Hebrew lunar calendar begin at sundown; the climatic day of the week is Shabbat. The moon and its phases mark the months, and seasons are marked with festivals (moedim or appointed times). Every 7th year is a shmita or sabbatical year (Lev 25:2-5), and after 7 cycles is yovel or jubilee year (Lev 25:8-17).

Replacement theologians will disregard this as “old” and thus futile, which is true, IF sabbath or sabbartianism is practiced as ritualism, self-salvifically in place of Christ and the Holy Spirit. This is the error. To place hope in sabbath misses the ‘purpose’ of the sabbath, making it as vain and dead as any man-made practice. Making it a misunderstood commandment and false sabbath theology.

Just as time is universal so too is sabbath universal, or will be universal. Sabbath is therefore relevant to both Jews and Gentiles.

“Beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” (2 Pet 3:8)

“For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.” (Rom 11:25)

World history, in God’s eyes, is then as seven 1000 year “days” corresponding to the seven days of creation. “For in six days the Lord made…” corresponds to six 1000 year “days” of God’s work in the earth and in human history.

According to the Talmud (Avodah Zarah, 9A) the olam hazeh or this world will exist for 6000 years while the 7th millenium will be an era of worldwide shalom or peace, called the olam haba or “the world to come” (Heb 6:5). Hence the Lord distinctly expressed 2 worlds: “neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Mt 12:32)

The current (2021/2022) Hebrew year is 5782.

The model of Creation is a model for expansion. God has used that at scale to bring about the ‘new world’ or the Kingdom of Heaven, pending Israel’s repentance but also for the “fulness of the Gentiles” to enter.

The established kingdoms are subordinate await Israel’s complete to return to the Promised Land, to repent, and to accept their king and God. An extension of the pro-creation mandate to Adam and Eve. “Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth” (Gen 1:28)

Sabbath then points to both the Messianic age AND the union of Heaven and Earth.

A clue to how the decalogue works is this. When the Decalogue was written by God’s own hand it was written on two sides, indicating a 2-part nature of God’s thinking/planning. The sabbath being the 4th commandment would be on Side A so to speak, the side about God directed towards God. Hence, “Loving the Lord thy God”.

It’s often presumed that ‘the law’ is damning and legalistic, “dead”, unable to save etc, but the commandment itself doesn’t imply ‘sin’ or wrong doing has taken place. It is however a “memorial to “remember” that a certain time is important in accord with God’s creation. Not nearly as damning as the later commandments, “thou shalt not kill, not bear false witness, not commit adultery, not covet” etc, which most cultures already accept. So the 4th commandment points to an ultimate future based on God’s work, from the ultimate past and currently.—To be anti-sabbatarian then is to be anti-Messianic.

The sabbath was made for man (ἄνθρωπον anthropon), and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.” (Mk 2:27-28)

“Man” (anthropos) is not “Jewish man” not “Israel”, it is universal and neutral. In the same way Christ is for ‘the world’, sabbath is for the world.

When people argue that ‘fulfilment’ is ‘finished’ in Christ, it is that the ‘filling to the full’ has started but is not yet ‘completed’ or ‘fully realised’. If sabbath had been ‘finished’ there would be eternal rest universally. All biblical prophecies surrounding ‘rest’ and ‘peace’ would be here. Ofc we are still waiting.

That is, Christ is no doubt the object of the sabbath AND the object of the Messianic Age, the Kingdom of Heaven, the new creation, and everything that entails. To be ‘in Christ’ then is akin to all the above, including ‘in sabbath’. Thus, the sabbath was “made for man”. It is applicable to the world of men, in the kingdoms of men, in the family, etc.

In 2 Chronicles 26 the sabbath-breaking of Israel resulted in their invasion/defeat, the land “lay desolate” irrespective of Israel’s theology/practice. And immediately following that sprung the promise for Gentiles: “All the kingdoms of the earth”. No longer exclusive to Israel.

“Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying, Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up.” (2 Chron 36:22-23)

Sabbath then is a premise for Gentile faith. We didn’t go through the wilderness of Sinai but we went through the wilderness of life, from all corners of the world. We are ‘under grace’ in that sense also, that we skipped much of biblical history and entered directly to the Messiah by the Holy Spirit. It does not discount the law because without law there would be no ‘grace’, or mercy. It is because of the law that we are where we are. Plus Israel’s stiff-necked rebellion.

Sabbath being 1 in 7 indicates the proportion of salvation/election to reprobation/damnation.

Hence, “The most High hath made this world for many, but the world to come for few.” (2 Esdras 8:1. Similarly in Mt 7:13-14.

It is easy to break sabbath but sabbath-keeping is pertinent as it is ‘doing God’s will’. Not mandatory but pertinent in understanding God.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Mt 7:21-23)

Because the Decalogue was written by God’s hand himself to be anti-sabbatarian is to sin against God. Making sabbath an immutable commandment, divine and everlasting, direct from the Most High.

“And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables.” (Ex 32:16)

Christ and Christology does not disregard Moses or Mosaic law/teaching, but rather “Moses wrote of Christ” (Jn 5:46) Therefore Christ is the embodiment of Mosaic law/teaching. To accept Christ is to accept all of what Christ represents.

To clarify, sabbath observance is not a moral status or public marker of faith, a matter “not for that any man to judge” (Col 2:16) but for God alone. So although it’s somewhat publicly visible it’s ultimately a private between the individual/household with God himself. An appointment with God so to speak, both spiritually and physically. A divinely appointed custodian, of land, family, and whatever else: The believer’s job is let them rest.

The dispensational view is antinomianism in this regard because it undermines the potency of God’s word, exchanging its meaning and purpose for a man-made statements/declarations. Then it has the audacity to say it is “God’s grace” and “God’s word” when the Lord himself had already been explicit, direct, plain, at Sinai.

Quote: “Dispensational theology affirms that the principles for living a godly life in this present age differ from many of those given in early eras. Thus, the believer in this present church age is said to be “not under law but under grace” (Romans 6:14 ). This not only means that the law cannot condemn us and send us to hell but also that the law does not give us the guidelines for how we are to live our lives. As a result, the believer today does not keep the Sabbath (Romans 14:1-5; Colossians 2:14–17). It does not mean a believer is free to live in whatever manner he desires. God’s grace teaches us how to live. God’s Word says: “The grace of God
hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world” (Titus 2:11,12).

(Myron J. Houghton, Ph.D., Th.D., Dispensational Theology - Faith Baptist Bible College)

“To fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years.” (2 Chron 36:21)

Sabbath is an everlasting ordinance, surpassing the importance of Israel or the Gentiles. The consequence of sabbath-breaking is “desolation”, exile.

“Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.” (Lev 26:34)

The law then is not in-effective but rather ‘double-edged’ in that it applies to both the law giver and the subject. It can blesses both ways and cut both ways.

To underestimate sabbath is underestimate the meaning of ‘salvation’ and life in he coming world. ‘Sabbath’ does not determine salvation but the sabbath-breaker is incompatible with this:

Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord. If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.” (Lev 26)

Grace and peace

Upvote 0