What happened to those who believe in UR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please translate those terms, as I cannot cut and paste them into google.

aiwnion = aionian (popular translation eternal).

arsenokoitai = arsenokoite (popular translation homosexual)

bdelugma = bdelugma (popular translation abomination)

How did you resolve those terms and unto "whom?"

I resolved those terms by looking at the general concensus of usage among various religious systems including Mahayana & Shin Buddhism, Shaivite & Vaishnavite Hinduism, Universal Sufism, Restorationist Zoroastrianism, and Esoteric Christian Mysticism. Dipolar Process Theology, Panentheism and Emanationism also helped greatly to deal with the problem of a good/evil, spirt/matter, body/soul, us/them dualism that seems to spring from a literalist, plain reading of the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

TSD

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I resolved those terms by looking at the general concensus of usage among various religious systems including Mahayana & Shin Buddhism, Shaivite & Vaishnavite Hinduism, Universal Sufism, Restorationist Zoroastrianism, and Esoteric Christian Mysticism. Dipolar Process Theology, Panentheism and Emanationism also helped greatly to deal with the problem of a good/evil, spirt/matter, body/soul dualism that seems to spring from a literalist, plain reading of the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

TSD

Literal: Aion: Eon... a period of time like the Bronze Age
Arsenkoitai: anal intercourse

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I resolved those terms by looking at the general concensus of usage among various religious systems including Mahayana & Shin Buddhism, Shaivite & Vaishnavite Hinduism, Universal Sufism, Restorationist Zoroastrianism, and Esoteric Christian Mysticism. Dipolar Process Theology, Panentheism and Emanationism also helped greatly to deal with the problem of a good/evil, spirt/matter, body/soul, us/them dualism that seems to spring from a literalist, plain reading of the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

TSD

A "popular" version and a "?" version of those terms? Pass on the aion, as that has been quite beat to death.

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Literal: Aion: Eon... a period of time like the Bronze Age
Arsenkoitai: anal intercourse

Ahh, but see, with philosphical concepts like inter-being, religious concepts like panentheism, and scientific concepts like the web of relationships in quantum mechanics, I no longer have to worry about how ancient Koine Greek is translated. No one can kick me out of a kingdom, deny me a first resurrection, tell me to depart from them or relegate me to retribution.

TSD

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pass on the aion, as that has been quite beat to death.

That was my point. Christian Universalists have done the aion thing to death. However, they can't be bothered by having to reevaluate their views of human sexuality. Hence, Biblical Universalism did me absolutely no good. I still found myself in temporary post-mortem hell. That is why I jumped into the discussion about where the Christian Universalists had gone, which led to the topic of wrath and punishment. I moved on because of wrath and punishment. I used to be one who spent time on message boards arguing for Christian universalism as the only viable vehicle for human salvation. As a Christocentric pluralist, I no longer have to be hurt or fearful because of how fundamentalist, traditionalist, conservative and Bible-only Christians interpret the Greek Scriptures, including the ones who are Universalist.

TSD

Upvote 0

StudentoftheWord

Steward of the Word
Jun 11, 2004
\
✟9,301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was my point. Christian Universalists have done the aion thing to death. However, they can't be bothered by having to reevaluate their views of human sexuality.

If we consider The Word is "spiritual" then those terms need be evaluated in spiritual manner/matter. I don't for example believe that the term "homosexuality" is in any way connected to the physical act of same any more than viewing "anger reflections" in one's body is an accurate spiritual depiction of the term "anger." Same can be said for many similar terms: malice, greed, envy etc.
Hence, Biblical Universalism did me absolutely no good. I still found myself in temporary post-mortem hell.

You will find Christian Universalism sharply divided on these subjects. Many hold no form of punishment for any of mankind whatsoever. Quite the contrary. So as in the Christian "classes" of any cut, confusions remain and reign.
That is why I jumped into the discussion about where the Christian Universalists had gone, which led to the topic of wrath and punishment. I moved on because of wrath and punishment.

There are solid scriptural spiritual understandings that can be rightly applied to "eternal" wrath and punishment, keeping those terms fully intact and effective, whilst plucking the entirety of mankind from same simultaneously and leaving them quite apart from harm.

for example Paul advises:
-anyone who dies is released from sin." (Romans 6:7)

When the damnation of nearly all of mankind believers read that particular script set, they can hardly believe their own eyes, and will deny that statement to their deaths...;) Insisting that sins will be counted toward mankind AFTER death, when the very opposite is TRUE.

I used to be one who spent time on message boards arguing for Christian universalism as the only viable vehicle for human salvation. As a Christocentric pluralist, I no longer have to be hurt or fearful because of how fundamentalist, traditionalist, conservative and Bible-only Christians interpret the Greek Scriptures, including the ones who are Universalist.

TSD

It may seem somewhat strange that christian fundamentalism in certain matters can be maintained, such as belief in all the eternal torment scriptures, yet believe that all mankind are entirely already and altogether SAVED, but currently suffering in hell in the flesh.

We have a LIGHT in this present HELL. And some good as well in sharing. Thank God it's not "all" bad, yet not completed Perfect, as Perfection NEVER ends.

enjoy!

squint

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except the King

Craig, I know you are passionate about Universalism. If I am not mistaken, you adhere to a Kingdom/Sonship version of UR, correct? I admit that if one looks at Scriptures in a literal, non-allegorical way, they do seem to paint a such a doctrinal picture at first glance. I'm sorry, but that is just not going to work for a man like me (even though I am currently celibate and probably won't ever be in a relationship). However, I still just can't love a God who is going to cast gays and lesbians into a lake of fire till He burns the homo out of them.

TSD

Upvote 0

StudentoftheWord

Steward of the Word
Jun 11, 2004
\
✟9,301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Craig, I know you are passionate about Universalism.

Thanks. I am passionate for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it just happens to preach universalism. :)

If I am not mistaken, you adhere to a Kingdom/Sonship version of UR, correct?

You could be mistaken, I don't know what Kingdom/Sonship version of UR is. I can tell you what I know, but I can't tell you what it is classified.

I admit that if one looks at Scriptures in a literal, non-allegorical way, they do seem to paint a such a doctrinal picture at first glance.

Oh, it isn't what most people think, I agree.

I'm sorry, but that is just not going to work for a man like me (even though I am currently celibate and probably won't ever be in a relationship). However, I still just can't love a God who is going to cast gays and lesbians into a lake of fire till He burns the homo out of them.

TSD

Your funny (honest). There is no homo or hetro in heaven. :D They are not in marriage nor given to marriage in heaven, whether homosexual or hetrosexual. There are no fornicators in heaven, just as there is no virgins in heaven. There are no adultarers, just as their are no partners (homosexual or hetrosexual).

If you were ever in the Kingdom of God, you cannot be kicked out of it. Jesus said, "A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand," and that phrase does not just apply to the kingdom of Beezalbub, but the Kingdom of God as well.

I am going to re-answer the questions above. I agree that people have abused fear tactics, especially fundementalists. Passion for the Gospel must be tempered with knowledge.

Proverbs 19:2
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

Romans 10:2-4
For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

It is not you, who has to worry about missing the way. It is not you, who the warnings were given to. It was those who sought out to establish a righteousness of their own, who did not submit to the righteousness of God, who have found themselves on the brink of destruction.

No one can kick me out of a kingdom,

Reality states, if you belong to a kingdom, the only one who can kick you out of the kingdom is not the citizens, not the ambassadors, but the King. So we must trust on the Character of the King, and we must recognize that a Kingdom divided against itself will not stand. Too many citizens and ambassadors think it is in their power to kick you out of the Kingdom, this power and authority is in the hands of only One. This does not mean no one can kick you out of a kingdom, it just means that not anyone can kick you out.

deny me a first resurrection

Not any one can deny you a first resurrection, only the one with the power over life can grant or refuse the first resurrection. The reality is, you have no control over this authority, so only the 'One' with the authority to grant life, can deny you a first resurrection. We must trust on the character of the one who grants life, to give it.

Tell me to depart from them or relegate me to retribution.

No man has the execute this. Though sometimes you have no choice to be relegated to retribution. We all recieve rewards, some rewards are better than others, but our reconciliation, our salvation, is not based on the reward but on what Jesus already did. So whether you have rewards or not, is not ultimately important, but if you trust in the Lord, you will not be ashamed.

That is how I believe brother, you may think that I sound legalistic by the fact I state facts and information. The reality is, though I may think something is a sin, I have sinnned even greater. Scripture does not say we are judged in accordance to our sins!

2 Corinthians 5:18-19
All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

So we will all be judged according to our words and deeds, but our sins are not counted against us. This is something Christianity has messed up in presenting.

Right now we have an uneven balance.

1) One one side, we are not judged by works and deeds, and unless we have Jesus Christ our sins are counted against us (Most Eternal Torment Doctrine).
2) On the other side, we are not judged by works and deeds, since Jesus Christ died for all, our sins are not counted against us (Most Christian Universalist Doctrine).

The truth according to Scripture is:

3) We are all in Christ Jesus, we are judged by our works and deeds, and our sins are not counted against us.

So we need to understand, if our works and deeds are counted against us, but our sins are not what does that mean? It means God will track the positives, and ignore the negatives. We all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we can only live the life we live and control the things that are in our control. That is why even if we give a cup of water to someone who is thirsty, we will not lose our reward. God remembers are good things.

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You could be mistaken, I don't know what Kingdom/Sonship version of UR is. I can tell you what I know, but I can't tell you what it is classified.

From what I understand it is the idea that a select group of overcommers will attain sonship, firstborn status and a first resurrection based on various criteria such as maintenance of faith, character, lifestyle, behavior, etc. These firstborn sons of the Kingdom are spared the second death and lake of fire. They are supposed to literally rule and reign with Christ during a future millenium.

According to the UR version, the overcommers are to somehow work helping Christ to eventually bring about the salvation of the rest of mankind in the age/ages to come.

The non-UR version usually puts non-overcommer-naughty-backslidden Christians who fail to attain to the first resurrection temporarily into outer darkness and/or hell during the millennial reign, but they eventually get out when death, hell and the unsaved are finally cast into the lake of fire for all eternity (only those who never believed at all suffer the second death).

TSD

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
From what I understand it is the idea that a select group of overcommers will attain sonship and a first resurrection based on various criteria such as maintenance of faith, character, lifestyle, behavior, etc. These firstborn sons of the Kingdom are spared the second death and lake of fire. They are supposed to literally rule and reign with Christ during a future millenium. According to the UR version, they are to eventually somehow help bring about the salvation of the rest of mankind.

TSD
Isn't the first "resurrection" of "Israel/Judah"?

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Luke 2:34 and Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mariam His mother, `Lo, this [one] is set for the Falling and Ressurection/anastasin <386> of many in Israel, and for a Sign spoken against-- [Ezekiel 37 "Valley of the Bones"/Reve 11]

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead-ones not live until should be being finished the thousand years. This the Resurrection/anastasiV <386>, the First.

Upvote 0

StudentoftheWord

Steward of the Word
Jun 11, 2004
\
✟9,301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
From what I understand it is the idea that a select group of overcommers will attain sonship, firstborn status and a first resurrection based on various criteria such as maintenance of faith, character, lifestyle, behavior, etc. These firstborn sons of the Kingdom are spared the second death and lake of fire. They are supposed to literally rule and reign with Christ during a future millenium.

Well there is an elect, they are not chosen by faith, lifestyle or behavior. They are chosen by the Holy Spirit to carry this message. They are the ones, who were born abnormally, as Paul, who did not have a choice in the matter. God supernaturally interceded and they cannot deny what they seen. They are the Thomas's of the Gospel, who have seen and touched the Lord, but Jesus said, "Blessed are those who believe and not seen." They do reign with Christ, they are His ambassador's and you will know them when you see them. With greater responsibility comes greater burden. Everyone keeps rallying up to be an elect, but it is the most pitiful of jobs. It is the lowest of the lowest servants scrubbing the analogical toilets.

According to the UR version, the overcommers are to somehow work helping Christ to eventually bring about the salvation of the rest of mankind in the age/ages to come.

Which is somewhat true, but not true. They are the ones who help bring salvation to the rest of mankind. Though, nobody will know who or what they are. They wait for something that has already been established and is already here.

The non-UR version usually puts non-overcommer-naughty-backslidden Christians who fail to attain to the first resurrection temporarily into outer darkness and/or hell during the millennial reign, but they eventually get out when death, hell and the unsaved are finally cast into the lake of fire for all eternity (only those who never believed at all suffer the second death).

Haha kinda of silly when you think about it huh?

Craig

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there is an elect, they are not chosen by faith, lifestyle or behavior. Everyone keeps rallying up to be an elect, but it is the most pitiful of jobs. It is the lowest of the lowest servants scrubbing the analogical toilets.

I like your idea of the elect. It doesn't sound like a contest to see who can keep the rules and be holier than others to gain a reward and escape fearful temporary punishment. In other words, it looks like it tries to avoid the carrot on a stick (threats and bribes) mentality which underlies eternal torment.

TSD

Upvote 0

StudentoftheWord

Steward of the Word
Jun 11, 2004
\
✟9,301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like your idea of the elect. It doesn't sound like a contest to see who can keep the rules and be holier than others to gain a reward and escape fearful temporary punishment. In other words, it looks like it tries to avoid the carrot on a stick (threats and bribes) mentality which underlies eternal torment.

TSD
It is how I believe since I was 3. If you are elect, you will suffer for it. It is not a position of prestige, power and wealth (like you see those big preachers on t.v. or the Roman Catholic Church process).

I will name someone I believe was elect, Mother Theresa. I am not Catholic, but I know a Saint when I see one. What did she do but dedicate her life to the slums of society to help out the neglected and the poor. She took nothing with her, and she lived with them. Without naming names, look at mainstream Christianity, tell me another who has forfeit the wealth of the world in order to take care of the poor, widow, and orphan?

It says, you shall know them by their fruits. That wasn't talking about their position of power in society, or the size of their bank account. There should not be a teacher or pastor richer than their average parishioner. Take what you need, give the rest to those who are poorer than the average parishioner so that they may be rich.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StudentoftheWord

Steward of the Word
Jun 11, 2004
\
✟9,301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Greetings, all!

My name is Aaron, and I'm a Christian. To all my "partialist" brothers and sisters out there: the label "Christian universalist" is a redundancy, since a Christian, by definition, believes in the good news of universal salvation by Jesus Christ. ;)

In Him,
Aaron
Good one! :D

Upvote 0

apocatastasis

Aug 23, 2005
✟15,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Craig et al,

Here I is. Nice to know that CF has ligtened up on the creedal thing.

John1and1, I, too, am interested in seeing you back your assertion ny providing specific instances where the Alexandrian texts ad a Universalist spin to the text. Don't be shy now.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
the problem with universalism is the doctrine that "all dogs go to heaven"... there is no hell / eternal punsihment ... when Jesus said that there is 1 life , then judgement ...and when God spoke to John about the lake of fire, the beast, fasle prophet and his followers being thrown into the lake of fire ...

scripture supports neither purgatory or parole for the damned ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.