What does the Bible say about illegal immigration?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh, I am so happy to hear you say this!

It is so good to hear of churches where the brothers and sisters are keeping Christ's words!

This has always been going on...the church, along with advocacy organizations, and legal channels have ALWAYS helped refugees in dire crisis, begin and/or complete their legal citizenship process to become "lawful" citizens.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mean, you want the government to tell them to go home?
I do want certain of those who are here illegally to be sent home, yes. And I note that much of the outrage, real or feigned, coming from supporters of sanctuary, etc. appear to be set against deporting anyone.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do want certain of those who are here illegally to be sent home, yes. And I note that much of the outrage, real or feigned, coming from supporters of sanctuary, etc. appear to be set against deporting anyone.
So what matters more, the flag waving drumbeat of deportation or the Great Commission of Matthew 28.18-19?

(I agree that some people should indeed be deported; but it's healthy to search one's heart about motives and priorities.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will be happy to take on any serious question. :)
See post #84 for a serious question. Your answer to it already is revealing.

I agree that some people should indeed be deported; but it's healthy to search one's heart about motives and priorities.

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In some parts of Argentina, the local authorities have even stopped calling migrants without proper documentation "ilegales"; the path to citizenship there is relatively simple and can be completed in 2 years in any case; Canada often accepts those who have been refused in the US.

In any case, your emphasis and mine should be the Gospel and the Great Commission, not on hitting migrants, of complex backgrounds, with legal threats.

Again, law is law. Be it Argentina or where else. Laws must be obeyed and enforced. It's God's will. Try and be an illegal in Saudi Arabia, Japan, Korea, UAE etc etc. You will be in migration jail and on an airplane home before you can say "but, but". It is silly and totally irresponsible to allow illegals to break the law of the land where they chose to come to. And worse of all, it creates a very fertile soil for all kinds of crime and other social problems like sex exploitation etc, and economic burdens. Labour and taxation law violations, you name it. Just a chain reaction of crime and poblems. It's a total disaster. Tough immigration laws that are enforced is the best deterrent. Similar to a store persecuting shoplifters us the best deterrent. I'm from a real sh*itwhole country originally, and you know, people try to go to USA, Canada, Western Europe, Australia and some other countries of the developed world illegally, because thry are certain that it's possible to come in illegally, but then later somehow get a legal status. Therefore, millions upon millions try. Those poor countries lose their best citizens meanwhile. Doctors, teachers, engineers etc. And so they remain even in worse sh*whole... It's very immoral to condone illegal immigration

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, law is law. Be it Argentina or where else. Laws must be obeyed and enforced. It's God's will. Try and be an illegal in Saudi Arabia, Japan, Korea, etc etc. You will be in migration jail and on an airplane home before you can say "but, but". It is silly anf irresponsible to allow illegals to break the kaw of the land where they chose to come to. And worse of all, it creates a very futile sole for all kinds of crime and other social problems like sex exploitation etc. Labour law, taxation, you name it. It's a total disaster. Tough immigration laws that are enforced is the best deterrent. Similar to a store persecuting shoplifters us the best deterrent. I'm from a real sh*itwhole country originally, and you know, people try to go to USA, Canada, Western Europe, Australia and some other countries of the developed world, because thry are certain that it's possible to come in illegally, but then later somehow get a legal status. Therefore, millions upon millions try. Those poor countries lose their best citizens meanwhile. Doctors, teachers, engineers etc. And so they remain even in worse sh*whole... It's very immoral to condone illegal immigration
Would you advise the authorities in jurisdictions where the path to citizenship is simple and which have a strong record of accepting migrants to create more barriers than there are already?

In other cases it can take a long, drawn out procedure with much paperwork and research for the competent authorities to decide whether or not a particular family's status conforms to regulations for settlement or not.

Meanwhile, it's not for nationalists and the populist politicians who feed on nationalism to raise the temperature and use the term "illegals!" to beat them with, when the competent authorities are already scrutinizing the matter and they are in receipt of the legal guidance to which they are entitled.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
(I agree that some people should indeed be deported; but it's healthy to search one's heart about motives and priorities.)
So perhaps we are making some progress. Deporting criminals should not be an issue, right? And that is what the government has been trying to do so far, plus attempting to keeping unknown people from simply walking across the border, as we have always done. So what is the problem with that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So perhaps we are making some progress. Deporting criminals should not be an issue, right? And that is what the government has been trying to do so far, plus attempting to keeping unknown people from simply walking across the border, as we have always done. So what is the problem with that?
It can take a long, drawn out procedure with much paperwork and research for the competent authorities to decide whether or not a particular family's status conforms to regulations for settlement or not.

Meanwhile, for the local church, its priority is the Great Commission of Matthew 28.18-19.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile, it's not for nationalists and the populist politicians who feed on nationalism to raise the temperature and use the term "illegals!" to beat them with, when the competent authorities are already scrutinizing the matter and they are in receipt of the legal guidance to which they are entitled.

It seems you are really not all that mad at the immigration policies, but at the American people who you see--the whole lock, stock, an barrel of us--as hateful nationalists. Is that right? And if so, why are we talking about the immigration laws?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile, for the local church, its priority is the Great Commission of Matthew 28.18-19.
Is there are problem there? You were just told that the churches do a lot of work in this area, which I know to be true myself.

• Winner
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems you are really not all that mad at the immigration policies, but at the American people who you see--the whole lock, stock, an barrel of us--as hateful nationalists. Is that right? And if so, why are we talking about the immigration laws?
I didn't use the h-word.

From up here, I guess I'm trying to look at the matter practically, from the point of view of local churches and from the point of view of the motives of the individual Christian.

As far as Canada is concerned, you may find that British Columbians, Ontarians, Québécois (Ah, oui! justement!) and others might take profoundly different perspectives on immigration issues, depending on how they define 'nationalist' matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you advise the authorities in jurisdictions where the path to citizenship is simple and which have a strong record of accepting migrants to create more barriers than there are already?

In other cases it can take a long, drawn out procedure with much paperwork and research for the competent authorities to decide whether or not a particular family's status conforms to regulations for settlement or not.

You make it more complicated than it is. Law is broken? Law must be enfirced. That's it. Easy.

I talk about existing laws. I don't suggest any legislature body of any country what laws to pass. But whatever laws are in place, are God's laws, and laws enforcement agencies are God's servants.

Church must stay away from taking part in illegal activities. Should a Christian provide a getaway car to a bank robber? No. Should a Christian in any way support illegal immigration? Absolutely not. It's a sin of Satan and is a door to more sin.

I personally bought one way tickets to rwp illegal immigrants from my home country. Both young ladies. Both came on student visas and then overstayed. Sexual abuse, physical abuse, labour abuse, hardships, no medical care, shoplifting, their life was a nightmate. They still tried every option to get legal status, while being illegal and basically easy pray to criminal sphere. Poor girls! The first one took about a year to take me up on my offer to buy the ticket. The other one took about 6 months. Just today I received pictures and updates from one of them. As happy as one can be. Happily married with a wonderful daughter. Tgey are a million times better off in their homelands than suffering illegals far away. It's cruel and It's a deception. They come for a better life only to plunge into a real life horror movie.

Buy one way tickets home. That's the best Christian help we can and must do. Dont be foolish hypocrites who perpetuate sin and tragedy.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So since the OP asked about scripture and we have gotten away from that a bit let me ask a question designed to return us to scripture....why did God command Israel to accept the immigrants if they conformed to the law of the land? Why didn't He say invite everyone in without question whether they want to accept your ways and laws or not?

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You make it more complicated than it is. Law is broken? Law must be enfirced. That's it. Easy.
You make it seem more simplistic than it actually is. I've worked for years with Latin American immigrants. Sometimes it can take a long, drawn out procedure with much paperwork and research for the competent authorities to decide whether or not a particular family's status conforms to regulations for settlement or not.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I didn't use the h-word.
I believe you are right about that. I was asking if you dont view the people that way, though, considering that you characterized them as talking like this--

"We the correct nationalists are the pure! those from someplace else with incorrect paperwork are the impure! let's beat up on the impure!"

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe you are right about that. I was asking if you dont view the people that way, though, considering that you characterized them as talking like this--
And you used the term lock, stock and barrel - meaning all. No, I certainly don't view all in this way.

Upvote 0