What does the Bible say about illegal immigration?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've known and worked with, and advocated for many from other nations who were attempting to gain citizenship here.

Are you referring to those who seek citizenship or those who do not seek it?
I think you'll find that the vast majority of those who don't have correct paperwork strongly wish to get into the system correctly.

But my point is, Let our passion as believers be about Gospel testimony to all nations. Which begins in our locality. Leave the intricacies of immigration paperwork to those whose job it is.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen. And, we know that His sheep are those that believe in Him, and follow Him, He says.

Would you like me to write to you this question: "Are you saying that He is wrong?" when I'm citing whatever scripture, as if you are intending to go against Christ, when we know you are not intending that?

No?

Then, by the rule He gave you in Matthew 7:12, you should not then say that to me, right?

He is correct in all things of course! If you can find Him saying anything like 'send illegal immigrants back to their home countries' here on Earth right now in our mortal lives, then that would be indeed a good thing to learn, but I already know it's not in there anywhere.

Instead, something very close to the opposite is indeed in scripture. Israel was told plainly to treat the foreigners dwelling among them well.

34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

but only if they followed the law...that is the point. Why can't we insist on the same rule that God demanded of the foreigners that came to Israel? Follow the law and you are not only welcome but will enjoy our inheritance (land) as if you were one of us.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's 100% correct I know, and also I agree with it long ago, and still, yesterday and today. Amen!

But the essential requirements for salvation isn't itself the other rule He gave you to follow here and now, today, in your life, in regard to neighbors or in regard to foreigners.

He told you how to treat your enemies even, here and now.

If you feel the illegal Mexican here today nearby is a neighbor or an enemy, either, He gave you instruction on how to treat them.

You missed my post above?

If someone is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and attempting to work towards citizenship, i will advocate for them and if necessary, with the power of my Lord invested in me, spin the world in the opposite direction to help them.

However if they are NOT seeking citizenship and prefer an "illegal" status, they are choosing to be trespassers who are lawbreakers.

Anyone seeking citizenship? i gots their back.

Anyone else? Those laws they are thumbing their noses up at will catch up with them. And they should.

In the meantime they make it more difficult for those who are legitimately seeking citizenship.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not following you, my friend.

I was merely sharing what Jesus Christ Himself said in Revelation about legal and illegal entry through His own gate.

He died for ANYONE who repents and turns to Him as their Savior. He is emphasizing that anyone attempting to enter through His gates other than through HIM is a trespasser.

Trespassers are not allowed through His gates.
I think the No Trespassing analogy can be taken too far.

There was a news story of a deaf boy who delivered papers, and the gun owning householderscalled, No, I don't want it; go away! After repeating the warning he shot the boy dead.

You see, it was trespassing, and he was the home owner! And he got away with it.

This is not how the Gospel is proclaimed (and hopefully not how one treats neighbours and immigrants).

You see how the trespassing analogy can be taken too far.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you'll find that the vast majority of those who don't have correct paperwork strongly wish to get into the system correctly.

But my point is, Let our passion as believers be about Gospel testimony to all nations. Which begins in our locality. Leave the intricacies of immigration paperwork to those whose job it is.

You missed my point?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but only if they followed the law...that is the point. Why can't we insist on the same rule that God demanded of the foreigners that came to Israel? Follow the law and you are not only welcome but will enjoy our inheritance (land) as if you were one of us.

Indeed, I'm not trying to defend those doing criminal acts. (note that a traffic ticket is usually not truly criminal, but sometimes just accidental, I know, having gotten some without noticing a sign for instance, or once even for going 31 mph in a 30 mph expanded school zone (many blocks from the school) on a day that was a school holiday. I kid you not.)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the No Trespassing analogy can be taken too far.

There was a news story of a deaf boy who delivered papers, and the gun owning householderscalled, No, I don't want it; go away! After repeating the warning he shot the boy dead.

You see, it was trespassing, and he was the home owner! And he got away with it.

This is not how the Gospel is proclaimed (and hopefully not how one treats neighbours and immigrants).

You see how the trespassing analogy can be taken too far.

What has that got to do with the subject of this thread?

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does that mean if "those whose job it is" feel the illegals who laughed at the legal path to citizenship need to go back and get in line with the rest who are doing it legally, then you will call it "Christianity" to defy Federal Law?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I know of very few ppl who actually prefer this.

You may need to back that up.

Apparently there are. Otherwise they'd be workin' on legal status, and/or already have started.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, I'm not trying to defend those doing criminal acts. (note that a traffic ticket is usually not truly criminal, but sometimes just accidental, I know, having gotten some without noticing a sign for instance, or once even for going 31 mph in a 30 mph expanded school zone (many blocks from the school) on a day that was a school holiday. I kid you not.)
The fact is, just like bored police officers looking for promotion, and dispensing tickets for marginal infractions, some ppl are determined to beat up on migrants with incorrect paperwork.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does that mean if "those whose job it is" feel the illegals who laughed at the legal path to citizenship need to go back and get in line with the rest who are doing it legally, then you will call it "Christianity" to defy Federal Law?
I think you are weaving my words to suggestions I have not made.

So many migrants have fled to North America because of civil war, drug trade conflict and political strife. You speak of 'laughing at the legal path to citizenship', but if you ask them you would probably find that they would love to take this path.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If someone is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and attempting to work towards citizenship, i will advocate for them and if necessary, with the power of my Lord invested in me, spin the world in the opposite direction to help them.

However if they are NOT seeking citizenship and prefer an "illegal" status, they are choosing to be trespassers who are lawbreakers.

Anyone else? Those laws they are thumbing their noses up at will catch up with them. And they should.

In the meantime they make it more difficult for those who are legitimately seeking citizenship.

I can generally agree with this....but....well, it happens that because of some Native American blood, and the actual fact that lands we had with a treaty were actually forcibly taken away from us (Choctaw and Chickasaw)...well... by careful rule following then...

If you want to be a stickler....

Then...

?....do you want to eject a lot of modern Americans from their illegally taken lands?

And give the land back?

Just asking. I'm definitely not holding you responsible.

Just wondering about following that rule to a stickler level.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

So many migrants have fled to North America because of civil war, drug trade conflict and political strife. You speak of 'laughing at the legal path to citizenship', but if you ask them you would probably find that they would love to take this path.

"Migrants" don't "flee".

"Refugees" do.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The fact is, just like bored police officers looking for promotion, and dispensing tickets for marginal infractions, some ppl are determined to beat up on migrants with incorrect paperwork.
The funny thing is that I hear this argument but have never in my entire life met someone who agreed that they should beat up someone trying to do it correctly. which maybe is the point?! People are not listening to the debate they are just becominging emotionally charged over the arguments they are being told is what it is about.

Like gun control...most people believe in either 1. leaving things as they are or 2. stricter gun laws but we are being told that the battle is over 3. banning all guns which is only true for the government officials...the people are talking (of course for the most part) leave it as it is or tighten the laws...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You may need to back that up.

Apparently there are. Otherwise they'd be workin' on legal status, and/or already have started.
Look at how many people who have been trying to regularize their status have been refused in the US. Many of them come to Canada and are received. This a huge trend which has existed for many years. It's all very well to take the view: "Blame them! Persecute them! and then at the same time, Let them get residence and citizenship in Canada!" :)

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then why didn't they? No money? Well, now that they are making money, why have they not initiated even the first step toward legal status?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can generally agree with this....but....well, it happens that because of some Native American blood, and the actual fact that lands we had with a treaty were actually forcibly taken away from us (Choctaw and Chickasaw)...well... by careful rule following then...

If you want to be a stickler....

Then...

?....do you want to eject a lot of modern Americans from their illegally taken lands?

And give the land back?

Just asking. I'm definitely not holding you responsible.

Just wondering about following that rule to a stickler level.

No problem.

Would you like to research this further and/or hear the perspective of someone who has?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What do you think we should do about this:

Trail of Tears - Wikipedia

It's not an abstract question. My Great Aunt Brunetta told me about this in great detail when I was age 8, 9, 10....

It's quite real.

This really happened.

Upvote 0