What does the Bible say about illegal immigration?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly correct!

Just about every land on Earth has been taken by force, war, killing those already there!

I often make this same point. I guess I've written this about a dozen or more times over the years -- all lands have been stolen in a sense, taken by force and murder and war.

I totally agree. Our own ancestors -- yours and mine -- were on both sides, no doubt!

And so....illegal Mexicans are relatively benign -- they are mostly law abiding and they buy their lands here, with money.

How much of the video did you watch.

And please elaborate on what you mean by:
they are mostly law abiding

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've advocated for many refugees, many times in shelters, where they sought 'refuge" because their very lives were at stake.

Why refugees are referred to as "refugees" is because they are "fleeing".

Migrants are not "fleeing".
Let me tell you about the huge, deep-seated trend of people from Latin America who have been rejected by the US. In the US, then, they are deemed officially not to have "fled". They then come to Canada, and often are accepted.

In any case, it's not the local church's job to scrutinize and make judgments about the often complex backgrounds of people who, between the US and Canada, might be officially treated in a profoundly different manner.

The Great Commission of Matthew 28.18-19 is instead the local church's priority.

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it a local church's job to deport people? and is it the local church's business to scrutinize people's complex backgrounds to decide who should be deported? Matthew 28.19-20 is what Christians' Great Commission is about.

I never said it's a job of the church. The law enforcement agencies must properly enforce the existing laws, that's it.

"For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Romans 13:4)

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never said it's a job of the church. The law enforcement agencies must properly enforce the existing laws, that's it.
Meanwhile you and I have a duty towards those who are in country, whatever their eventual status and outcome.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then why didn't they? No money? Well, now that they are making money, why have they not initiated even the first step toward legal status?
Because they are afraid to. Because of the reputation of politicians who talk about clamping down on them.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much of the video did you watch.

Apparently every bit after that time mark you gave me, as it just now ended (and I can't find the window, so I was listening until this very moment 1:45pm)

Generally if you see a house owned by an illegal immigrant Mexican, they bought it with a loan, for instance, and did not kill the occupant.

Do you think we should deport them, though they work and pay taxes, even federal income taxes typically?

For precision, let's consider such a family, law abiding, kids, owning a home, paying taxes, federal income taxes. Deport them?

What do you say?

• Winner
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Let me tell you about the huge, deep-seated trend of people from Latin America who have been rejected by the US. In the US, then, they are deemed officially not to have "fled". They then come to Canada, and often are accepted.

In any case, it's not the local church's job to scrutinize and make judgments about the often complex backgrounds of people who, between the US and Canada, might be officially treated in a profoundly different manner.

The Great Commission of Matthew 28.18-19 is instead the local church's priority.

Churches and the organizations i work/worked with, including legal channels, began or continued plugging refugees that fled here, into those agencies that would advocate for, defend, and begin legal protection and citizenship processes for anyone in a dire refugee crisis/dilemma.

That's what not only my church did, but others as well.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Romans 13:4)
In some parts of Argentina, the local authorities have even stopped calling migrants without proper documentation "ilegales"; the path to citizenship there is relatively simple and can be completed in 2 years in any case; Canada often accepts those who have been refused in the US.

In any case, your emphasis and mine should be the Gospel and the Great Commission, not on hitting migrants, of complex backgrounds, with legal threats.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Churches and the organizations i work/worked with, including legal channels, began or continued plugging refugees that fled here, into those agencies that would advocate for, defend, and begin legal protection and citizenship processes for anyone in a dire refugee crisis/dilemma.

That's what not only my church did, but others as well.
Good for them! :)

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile you and I have a duty towards those who are in country, whatever their eventual status and outcome.

Meanwhile, the duty of the illégals is to stop breaking the law and to return to their country of origin.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Apparently every bit after that time mark you gave me, as it just now ended (and I can't find the window, so I was listening until this very moment 1:45pm)

Generally if you see a house owned by an illegal immigrant Mexican, they bought it with a loan, for instance, and did not kill the occupant.

Do you think we should deport them, though they work and pay taxes, even federal income taxes typically?

For precision, let's consider such a family, law abiding, kids, owning a home, paying taxes, federal income taxes. Deport them?

What do you say?

If they are, and remain illegal, they are not "law-abiding".

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile, the duty of the illégals is to stop breaking the law and to return to their country of origin.
...if they can. If the authorities deem that their circumstances are such that they should. Meanwhile, it's not for you or I to tell them to "go home", whatever actual words are used. The rule of the believer's life is the Gospel, rather than the law (though the law of the land should be respected).

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they are, and remain illegal, they are not "law-abiding".

For instance, do you want to deport even those here 20 years, with kids that follow the laws and are decent people and pay taxes, etc., law abiding but illegal to begin with?

Asking a real question about real people, not just imagined.

Deport them without any difference vs actual law breakers, like me, who ran a stop sign some years back, I confess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church helps refugees begin and/or maintain their legal status.

Oh, I am so happy to hear you say this!

It is so good to hear of churches where the brothers and sisters are keeping Christ's words!

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

For instance, do you want to deport even those here 20 years, with kids that follow the laws and are decent people and pay taxes, etc., law abiding but illegal to begin with?

Deport them without any difference vs actual law breakers, like me, who ran a stop sign some years back, I confess.

If they've been here 20 years, they've had more than ample time to begin the process for citizenship.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they've been here 20 years, they've had more than ample time to begin the process for citizenship.

Very good. And if your church is aiding such, then we can be encouraged!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Clearing up misperceptions is important, I agree. Should I take it that you are agreeable to the deportation of illegals who have committed crimes here other than the misdemeanor offense of crossing into the country without permission?

Upvote 0