What commandments is Jesus talking about?

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
To be freed from the law means not to be obedient to it and to be free from it's power.

So, as an illustration, to be free from penal code 187 (murder) means to disobey it and be free from the punishment of it?

So, be disobedient ("not to be obedient") and be free from its power?

So you believe that you will no longer reap what you sow?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
To be free from something means you are not in bondage to it by having to do it,e.g., kill, steal, lie, adultery, etc...

The burden is having to commit the sin not getting to abstain from it. We don't got to follow the law, we get to

You are free, because you don't do it and, hopefully, you do the opposite: give life, give possessions, spread the truth, and be a loving spouse, etc...

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, as an illustration, to be free from penal code 187 (murder) means to disobey it and be free from the punishment of it?

No one is free from that law. We are freed from the old law because it no longer exists. 187 still exists doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No one is free from that law. We are freed from the old law because it no longer exists. 187 still exists doesn't it?

So what does your being free from..."thou shall not kill" look like?

How about "thou shall not have any mighty ones before Me"?

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So what does your being free from..."thou shall not kill" look like?

It's part of the new law. How are you loving your brother if you murder him?

How about "thou shall not have any mighty ones before Me"?

It's covered by the new law not that it says mighty ones anyways but that's a small error vs. teaching obedience to the old law which is a false teaching.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
PC, are you saying that the Spirit-filled Christian's heart is still deceitful and desperately wicked? Is that the T in TULIP, and do Calvinists believe there is no difference when we are born again of the Spirit?
The time for comprehensive confession of all known sin is right after receiving Christ as Saviour. We know that faith in Christ saves us, and so the confession of all known sin is the essential first step in the sanctification process. This is not that we start to try and reform ourselves - something we cannot do without ending up being self-righteous. But discussing the sins with God fulfills 1 John 1:9, and as soon as we confess them, God forgives, cleanses and forgets that we ever sinned in those areas. This can be a real cleansing process and the lightness, joy and relief is so real afterward. It is not enough to say, "God forgive me all my sins". We have to name them before God one by one, and if we need to make restitution to someone we have wronged, we do our best to do it.

For example, when I left one city, I had photos that I had put into the shop for developing which I never collected. Two years later, the Holy Spirit reminded me of them, and I contacted the shop, paid for the photos and had them posted to me.

If we have a known sin that we are refusing to discuss with God, then it may be that we are not fully converted to Christ. This is because we cannot hold on to sin and have Christ as well. We may be saved as of by fire, but there will be a blockage in the Spirit for us until we get it right with God.

It is not so much that the converted heart is deceitful and wicked, but the devil is very much so, and he can give prompts to cause us to believe that the particular sin is not so serious and we can take our time getting it right; or that when we need to go and get something right with someone we have wronged, the devil may tempt us to procrastinate and intensify the sense of embarassment and fear - which is basically pride preventing us to humbling going to someone and telling that we were wrong in what we did to them.

Having said that, it may not be possible to go to a person when we have lost contact with them, and the Holy Spirit understands this. But we can pray that the Holy Spirit organise a way to contact if He thinks it is critically important that we put it right.

But certainly, if we have stolen from or cheated someone, we should make every effort to pay them back what we have stolen from them.

The main deception from the devil is to make light of the need to confess every known sin and to request the Holy Spirit to hook out hidden and forgotten sins, in the same way that my ginger ninja cat (the one on the left of the post) can hook cockroaches out of places I would never know were there.

The other deception is once we discover sins that need to be confessed, we try to get the victory over them in our own strength instead of doing nothing about them in the flesh and trusting the Holy Spirit to work in us to enable us to forsake them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would anyone assume he doesn't mean the 10 commandments?

Because that's reading a particular piece of literature (the Gospel of John) out of context in a way that the text itself does not suggest. In the context of the Gospel of John, Jesus commandments are clear, to love one another.

• Agree
Upvote 0

psalm911

Feb 26, 2019
kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would you say Jesus 2 commandments that follow pretty well cover the commandments we need to be concerned with?

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

The answer to your question is yes. The first commandment is to love the Lord Jesus and the second commandment is like it, to love your neighbor/brother as your self. All of The Commandments of Christ are fulfilled by loving the brethren which is to fulfill the first commandment, as it is written: he that has my Commandments and keeps them, he it is that loves me. I hope you can understand these things.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because that's reading a particular piece of literature (the Gospel of John) out of context in a way that the text itself does not suggest. In the context of the Gospel of John, Jesus commandments are clear, to love one another.

Then put it in context and tell me what it does mean?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The answer to your question is yes. The first commandment is to love the Lord Jesus and the second commandment is like it, to love your neighbor/brother as your self. All of The Commandments of Christ are fulfilled by loving the brethren which is to fulfill the first commandment, as it is written: he that has my Commandments and keeps them, he it is that loves me. I hope you can understand these things.

Then by saying the commandments are fulfilled, you agree you are saying the commandments still matter? In saying what he did, we can see, Jesus was concerned the commandments, all of them, were kept. I hope you can understand what I'm saying as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

psalm911

Feb 26, 2019
kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then by saying the commandments are fulfilled, you agree you are saying the commandments still matter? In saying what he did, we can see, Jesus was concerned the commandments, all of them, were kept. I hope you can understand what I'm saying as well.
I think you are confusing the law of Moses with the Commandments that I'm talking about which came out of the mouth of Jesus Christ in the books of Matthew mark Luke and John.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the old law is dead and gone and was replaced by the NC law.

Jesus would not have told us the commandments/law are all contained within Jesus's 2 commandments if the 10 commandments/law did not matter.

If you disagree, please tell me what the last line in bold here does mean?

, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Then put it in context and tell me what it does mean?

I think I already explained that, Jesus commandments are to trust in God and love one another. He's gives an example of servant leadership on how his community is to love one another: it's interesting that the Gospel of John, unlike the Synoptics, has no narrative of the Lord's Supper. Instead it has the narrative of Jesus' washing the disciples feet, an act that scandalizes Peter.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your confusing the old covenant law with the law of Christ.

No at the end of Christ telling us what his laws are, he ads what I put in bold in the following scripture. So if you disagree Christ was saying the 10 commandments/law hanging on his 2 commandments meant all other commandment/law are held within his 2 commandments, ( meaning they matter)then tell me what the bold below does mean?

, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I already explained that, Jesus commandments are to trust in God and love one another. He's gives an example of servant leadership on how his community is to love one another: it's interesting that the Gospel of John, unlike the Synoptics, has no narrative of the Lord's Supper. Instead it has the narrative of Jesus' washing the disciples feet, an act that scandalizes Peter.

No, you had not explained already, nor did you right there. One more time and then I'll assume you can't, or refuse to answer.

What does this mean?

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

You claimed I read it out of context, so If you want to put it in context, use the following, the verse in question is in bold:

, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, you had not explained already, nor did you right there. One more time and then I'll assume you can't, or refuse to answer.

What does this mean?

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

You claimed I read it out of context, so If you want to put it in context, use the following, the verse in question is in bold:

You are quoting from a different Gospel as if they are a single piece of literature, and they are not . They were written by different people with different audiences and address different needs.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are quoting from a different Gospel as if they are a single piece of literature, and they are not . They were written by different people with different audiences and address different needs.

I'm quoting from the scripture that entails Jesus's 2 commandments, or, the subject. But, ok, forget all that and just tell me what it means? It means something, right?

I've given you every possible chance here....thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What commandments is Jesus talking about in -

Jn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Heb 8:6-11 says it is Jesus that is speaking the TEN Commandments.
Matthew 19 - Jesus quotes from the TEN Commandments

Paul says the Commandments being used are the ones where "the 5th commandment is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

Bible details so obvious that BOTH sides of the classic Sunday vs Bible-Sabbath debate agree!

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow! this thread took of like a rocket. I don't have time this morning to respond to much of the posts. Sorry:( I would like very much for some of you to show how your response relates to Jn 15:10. I think there are some theology problems. I think some of the responses are to questions and statements of others which isn't a problem. I may not be able to catch up until tomorrow. Keep posting away.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said to the young man:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 10:19 - Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

I'm sure that is not an exhaustive list, but it's a start. We would have to go through the entirety of the new testament to list them all.
What I'd like for you to show is how these commandments relate to being the commandments of Jesus. Jesus did say "My commandments."

Upvote 0