What commandments is Jesus talking about?

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The commandments are all the commandments of Christ in the books of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. To say Christians need to keep the law of Moses is to say Christ did not fulfill the law when he died: all the law is fulfilled in this saying, you shall love your neighbor as your self: Greater love have no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

When a man is baptized into Christ, he is baptized into his resurrection. And so being in the person of Christ, he is dead to the law by the body of Christ that was crucified: then he is to fulfill the commandments of Christ in the person of Christ and Christ gets the glory.

Would you say Jesus 2 commandments that follow pretty well cover the commandments we need to be concerned with?

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because the human heart is deceitful and desperately wicked, we need the assistance of the Holy Spirit to get into the dark corners and hook those hidden sins out so they can be confessed and forsaken.

The very reason I say we need the written words on the matter as well. Since our heart is deceitful, we ar every apt to deceive ourselves on what the Holy Spirit is saying.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The very reason I say we need the written words on the matter as well. Since our heart is deceitful, we ar every apt to deceive ourselves on what the Holy Spirit is saying.
I think the deception would be more in the line of the voice saying not to worry about a particular action or habit because it is just something small and not critical to a healthy spiritual life.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Because the human heart is deceitful and desperately wicked

PC, are you saying that the Spirit-filled Christian's heart is still deceitful and desperately wicked? Is that the T in TULIP, and do Calvinists believe there is no difference when we are born again of the Spirit?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
clearpixel.gif

"I am dead to the Law" does not mean either that the Law is dead or that I have no resonsibility to obey the Law.

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law- Galatians 3:13

I suppose this means the law is a blessing and not a curse then?

the law entangles with the yoke of bondage- Galatians 5:1

This must also mean that the law frees us from bondage?

if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law - Galatians 5:18

Not being under the law must mean we are very much under the law?

the law worketh wrath- Romans 4:15

This means the law does not work wrath?

we are not under the law- Romans 6:15

Does this mean we are on top of the law?

we are delivered from the law- Romans 7:6

Maybe this means delivered to the law not from it?

we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter- Romans 7:6

Or maybe they all mean exactly what they say and the law is not for us and we should not serve it?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

OK, you are referring the following as the commandments we need to be concerned about, correct?

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
And if that is correct as it appears to be, what do you think the last line there means? as in:

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Of course it means that all the law, the 10 comments being that or part of that law, are covered if we love God with all our heart, and love our neighbor. Meaning the commandments are still right there among it all.

Or in short, it means if we love God/our neighbor we will keep the commandments, or one causes the other. Making the commandments just as important as always.

So many tend to miss the last part of that scripture.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
OK, you are referring the following as the commandments we need to be concerned about, correct?

And if that is correct as it appears to be, what do you think the last line there means? as in:

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Of course it means that all the law, the 10 comments being that or part of that law, are covered if we love God with all our heart, and love our neighbor. Meaning the commandments are still right there among it all.

Or in short, it means if we love God/our neighbor we will keep the commandments, or one causes the other. Making the commandments just as important as always.

So many tend to miss the last part of that scripture.

When you look at those two commandments you see they fulfill the Ten Commandments. Romans 8 says the Spirit frees us from the law (10C), because by following the Spirit we fulfill the righteous requirements of the law. That is why it is important for us to be born again of the Spirit. IOW, be baptized in the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, you do not belong to Christ - Romans 8:9

1 John 3:23

believe on the name of Jesus - Commandments 1-4
love one another - Commandments 5-10

That covers the law, and there were over 300 prophecies the prophets spoke about the Messiah - that Jesus fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter- Romans 7:6

Or maybe they all mean exactly what they say and the law is not for us and we should not serve it?

Depends on the disposition of the heart...stone or flesh...belief or unbelief...fear or love?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you look at those two commandments you see they fulfill the Ten Commandments. Romans 8 says the Spirit frees us from the law (10C), because by following the Spirit we fulfill the righteous requirements of the law. That is why it is important for us to be born again of the Spirit. IOW, be baptized in the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, you do not belong to Christ - Romans 8:9

1 John 3:23

believe on the name of Jesus - Commandments 1-4
love one another - Commandments 5-10

That covers the law, and there were over 300 prophecies the prophets spoke about the Messiah - that Jesus fulfilled.

Then you agree the 10 commandments are still alive and well?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I think your on track now, the opposite is always true. Your not under the law until you sin then you are doomed.

The law of sin and death reigns over grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then you agree the 10 commandments are still alive and well?
They are in the law (Torah) but you are not under the law.

So you cannot really covet your neighbor's oxen because where there is no law, there is no violation.

Romans 4:15
For the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

You can choose to follow the law but you are cursed if you do, because the law of sin and death comes into play.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The reason why I wasn't arrested today and am currently not in jail is because I didn't break the law...so I'm not under it. But, believe me, it is alive and well and ready to pounce.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

So we being dead to the law frees us from the law as many scriptures affirm. The old law is dead, we are then in response dead to that law and free to re-marry a new husband and law...the law of Christ no longer bound to the old law.

Clarke:

Romans 7:4

Wherefore, my brethren - This is a parallel case. You were once under the law of Moses, and were bound by its injunctions; but now ye are become dead to that law - a modest, inoffensive mode of speech, for, The law, which was once your husband, is dead; God has determined that it shall be no longer in force; so that now, as a woman whose husband is dead is freed from the law of that husband, or from her conjugal vow, and may legally be married to another, so God, who gave the law under which ye have hitherto lived, designed that it should be in force only till the advent of the Messiah; that advent has taken place, the law has consequently ceased, and now ye are called to take on you the yoke of the Gospel, and lay down the yoke of the law; and it is the design of God that you should do so.

Gill:

are become dead to the law, and that to them, as in Rom_7:6, and can have no more power over them than a law can have over dead persons, or a dead abrogated law can have over living ones. They are represented as "dead to sin", and "dead with Christ", Rom_6:2; and here, "dead to the law", as in Gal_2:19, and consequently cannot be under it; are out of the reach of its power and government, since that only has dominion over a man as long as be lives the law is dead to them; it has no power over them, to threaten and terrify them into obedience to it; nor even rigorously to exact it, or command it in a compulsory way

Matthew Henry:

I. Our first marriage was to the law, which, according to the law of marriage, was to continue only during the life of the law. The law of marriage is binding till the death of one of the parties, no matter which, and no longer. The death of either discharges both.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are in the law (Torah) but you are not under the law.

So you cannot really covet your neighbor's oxen because where there is no law, there is no violation.

Romans 4:15
For the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

You can choose to follow the law but you are cursed if you do, because the law of sin and death comes into play.

Did you read back a few posts, and see why i few the commandment are an active part of Jesus's 2 commandments? Meaning yes, it was and still is sin.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The reason why I wasn't arrested today and am currently not in jail is because I didn't break the law...so I'm not under it. But, believe me, it is alive and well and ready to pounce.
Are you saying that you did not commit sin today?

Are you talking about civil law or the Torah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that you did not commit sin today?

Are you talking about civil law or the Torah?

I'm saying that I am not under the law, because, in Messiah, I am obedient to it.

I used civil law as an example. For instance, you didn't kill (thou shalt not kill) anyone today, which is why you aren't under penal code 187 (the law), correct?

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm saying that I am not under the law, because, in Messiah, I am obedient to it.

That's not what the phrase means. To be under the law means you are obedient to it just as a wife is under the rule of her husband and is obedient to him. To be freed from the law means not to be obedient to it and to be free from it's power.

We are not under the old law nor obedient to it because it is dead and Christ and his new law replaced it. We are under and obedient to this new law not any previous law or set of laws. This is what is taught in the NT. What you are teaching does not come from the NT.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0