Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The SC has not ruled. It is an open issue as of now. As of now, no action commuted by the president while he is president is a "crime".

Freudian slip?: committed vs commuted.

But show something to back up your point that it would not be a crime vs a president cannot be charged while still in office.

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So far, the Republican Party has not been successful in getting the governor to say much of anything...except that it's "unlikely" that he'll allow it. Moving it now is just about the Party's only choice.

Moving it where?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There must be good money in holding the convention - why else bother when the outcome is so preordained?
Both parties hold their conventions for a variety of purposes. For one thing, nothing is "preordained" if the duly-elected delegates do not get to vote for their preferred nominees for President and VP! That's what happens in a national convention.

Also, the party platform on which the nominees run is drafted and approved by a vote of the delegates.

The nominees speak to the nation, in effect kicking off the campaign.

Like it or not, and whether or not anyone cares about nominating candidates according to the Party's rules and the directives of state primary elections across the nation, they matter. I can assure any doubter that if all of this were simply bypassed, there would be no end of complaints about "rigged" nominations, no chance for the people to have a say in the nominee (through electing delegates to the convention), and lack of transparency.

Upvote 0