Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Your scenario counts on MI, which is very up in the air.

If the President loses NC, it is unlikely that can win the election. Biden will most likely win PA, as he has roots in Scranton. Biden will probably win MI, as Trump only won it by 10,000 votes in 2016. The President has somewhat better odds to win WI, but as I recall, WI only gets him to either a tie or a narrow 2 vote win. He won 306 Electoral Votes in 2016, less 20 for PA and 16 for MI gives you 270. However, the 270 figure assumes that he wins the Northern Maine Congressional District and the one for Omaha and it's suburbs. If he loses either of those, then you are at a 269-269 tie, but that assumes that he wins NC. I believe that he won NC by about 3 pts. How much ground he might lose in NC by moving the RNC Convention is iffy, but why chance it?

It is very helpful to win TX and FL, though FL is by no means a certainty. However, it takes a lot more to get to 270 and NC is a real key. It might be better for him and the party to stay in NC.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure why we fuss so over the election. Trump will quite likely invoke emergencies powers and delay the election until after a COVID vaccine is generally available. And yes, his Supreme Court might well back the Executive of the US, as they backed the Executive of California.

this is perhaps the fifth or sixth time the thoughT has been brought up about delaying the election.
Interesting to note not once by the President.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) There are lots of sites in northern and central FL who will be more than happy to accommodate the president. Northern FL will not impose any pandemic conditions, and will allow large crowded rooms.

2) In my personal opinion, Trump has taken many actions that contradict US law, US precedents and the Constitution. Why stop now? Any delay of the elections will be litigated, and eventually be decided by the Supreme Court. This president just yesterday indicated that he would personally send in the US military to police the cities (even if the governors say no), if the governors continued to do a poor job. Will the Supreme Court prevent them from doing this? Perhaps, perhaps not. Trump has threatened to cut off federal aid from states who have to much of their election based on mail-in ballots. Will the Supreme Court stop him? Trump has threatened to stop aid to states that allow sanctuary cities. There is a very. very long liftoff such actions. And be clear, his 40% strongly support his actions.

You seem to assume that Trump will obey the law. His AG says that he cannot commit any crimes while in office. I suspect that delaying an election during the second wave of the worst medical emergency since WWI will qualify for a reason to delay the election, and that even the Supreme Court might agree.
=========================
And just BTW, if there is a 2nd wave in the Fall, many Americans will support a delay. Will we really take to the streets to demand that we have a mail in election? Some states have accepted this, some not.
=========
AND JUST BY THE WAY
What do you think will happen when Trump is "declared" the loser after the last counting of the mail-in ballots. How many court cases do you think will be started in how many states and counties? Trump, as he did last time, will declare that there has been rampant fraud and that he is the winner, no matter the result.

This country is a very long way from having president other than Trump.
Yes, people don't realize how easily what we call "America" -- freedom, liberty, the right to vote -- can all be greatly reduced or even...can just end.

"America" can just end.

It can happen here, and it can happen in just a handful of years.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
this is perhaps the fifth or sixth time the thoughT has been brought up about delaying the election.
Interesting to note not once by the President.

Now even Kushner doesn't count? He indicated the WH position that delaying the election cannot be ruled out.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that upset MI voters over the Governor's lock down could help Trump's cause?

Given that lock down ended last week, and it's 5 months to the election, I'm going to go with "no".

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think that upset MI voters over the Governor's lock down could help Trump's cause?

I do. Trump has backed their protests.

Also, blacks in Detroit may look at the dispute and be less likely to vote.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure that Trump will find a site in FL or TX. I suspect that this decision won't help his political chances in NC.

I'm not sure why we fuss so over the election. Trump will quite likely invoke emergencies powers and delay the election until after a COVID vaccine is generally available. And yes, his Supreme Court might well back the Executive of the US, as they backed the Executive of California.

List of Republican National Conventions - Wikipedia

2012 Tampa

1992 Houston

1988 New Orleans

1984 Dallas

1976 Kansas City

and I suspect that they also could consider Las Vegas or Orlando, the two most popular cities for large conventions.
====
To be clear, lots of cities have facilities than North Carolina comparable to North Carolina.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Good luck finding a site that can host an event of this complexity on such short notice in the context of a global pandemic and societal unrest.
Even money sez it goes to a Trump Brand Property®

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Even money sez it goes to a Trump Brand Property®

Hopefully it all falls apart. That I don't agree with republicans doesn't mean I want a proportion of them to die or be permanently disabled by preventable exposure to a pathogen.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
To be clear, lots of cities have facilities than North Carolina comparable to North Carolina.
Why would those cities give Trump concessions that Roy Cooper wouldn’t?

I’d really like someone to explain to me what about Roy Cooper’s request was so unreasonable. All he asked was that the convention meet the CDC guidelines...you know, the same CDC that’s headed by the government that Trump is (supposed to be) running?

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We're talking about a political convention. This is a political issue. There are cities that national, state, and local Republican political leaders can convince.

Why would those cities give Trump concessions that Roy Cooper wouldn’t?

I’d really like someone to explain to me what about Roy Cooper’s request was so unreasonable. All he asked was that the convention meet the CDC guidelines...you know, the same CDC that’s headed by the government that Trump is (supposed to be) running?

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
List of Republican National Conventions - Wikipedia

2012 Tampa

1992 Houston

1988 New Orleans

1984 Dallas

1976 Kansas City

and I suspect that they also could consider Las Vegas or Orlando, the two most popular cities for large conventions.
====

They’ll be lucky if it’s in 3 months. Large convention venues don’t just sit empty waiting for last minute bookings generally (although with Covid happening, that might create some availability).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They’ll be lucky if it’s in 3 months. Large convention venues don’t just sit empty waiting for last minute bookings generally (although with Covid happening, that might create some availability).

They’re all empty now. I still keep tabs on some stagehand/production groups and those folks are all out of work, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From two days ago.

"The governor's announcement came hours before President Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday evening that North Carolina would no longer be hosting the RNC. .."
GOP/Nashville

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They’re all empty now. I still keep tabs on some stagehand/production groups and those folks are all out of work, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Must be a really tough time for those guys.

• Friendly
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are cities all over the country to whom Trump owes millions of dollars for unpaid security expenses. When he visits a city for campaign purposes, such as holding a rally, the government doesn't reimburse the city for all the police overtime and other expenses. His campaign should do it but he thinks he is above the law and paying his bills.

Can you imagine the security bills that Charlotte would incur if he had a convention there? Think Chicago 1968. Miami 1972. And in neither of those cases was the candidate a polarizing sociopathic rabble rouser. He will wreak havoc wherever he goes and leave the host city with the bill as he swigs hydrochloroquine while his delegates infect themselves and spread disease all over the country.

Who will want his convention? Nobody.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you imagine the security bills that Charlotte would incur if he had a convention there?
Not as much as the monies gained from having tens of thousands of convention goers be in town for a week, plus all the millions that are spent by the host organization simply setting up the convention.

Who will want his convention? Nobody.
The governors of several states have already urged the Party to relocate the convention to their states.

Upvote 0