Trump Moves Convention Out Of North Carolina

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why it was so unreasonable for Roy Cooper to want the convention to follow CDC guidelines. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes for anyone to complain about that.

Donald doesn't see the problem; he wouldn't let any of the peons come within 6 feet of him regardless.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why it was so unreasonable for Roy Cooper to want the convention to follow CDC guidelines. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes for anyone to complain about that.
Highlighted why Donald's claims don't make sense to you.

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Donald doesn't see the problem; he wouldn't let any of the peons come within 6 feet of him regardless.

...unless they're tall, thin, blonde, and young.

• Haha
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why quote me if you’re not even going to address anything I wrote?

You asserted that other cities would require the same kinds of conditions as Charlotte, CDC restrictions that are not accepted by the President or the Republican Party. I pointed out that I believed that there would be lots of cities in republican areas where local and state politicians would be more than glad to host a convention without following conditions not acceptable to the president.

And, of course, within a day, states and cities have stepped up.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They’ll be lucky if it’s in 3 months. Large convention venues don’t just sit empty waiting for last minute bookings generally (although with Covid happening, that might create some availability).

???

You truly believe that in these pandemic times the conventions centers are full?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good grief. It matters to the thousands of people making reservations and to the convention planners spending tens of millions on a long-planned event to know if they will be allowed to have it or not.

This should not be difficult to understand. It is not simply about following the CDC guidelines, but it if were, the governor ought to spell out which guidelines he will go by and how they will be implemented by him. He can do almost anything he chooses, just as with his fellows in NY, MI, Il, MN, NJ, PA, WI, CA, and elsewhere.

So far, the Republican Party has not been successful in getting the governor to say much of anything...except that it's "unlikely" that he'll allow it. Moving it now is just about the Party's only choice.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
You asserted that other cities would require the same kinds of conditions as Charlotte, CDC restrictions that are not accepted by the President or the Republican Party

Doesn’t that bother you, even a little bit? I mean, look at that sentence - the President wants to ignore the instructions and guidelines set out by the CDC. His CDC. It’s not like this is some independent agency, they’re a part of the government that he runs, and he wants to ignore their own safety measures.

How is that not a problem to you?

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Good grief. It matters to the thousands of people making reservations and to the convention planners spending tens of millions on a long-planned event to know if they will be allowed to have it or not.
Keep in mind, Roy Cooper is among those spending millions. He only stands to lose by not having the convention here.

This should not be difficult to understand. It is not simply about following the CDC guidelines, but it if were, the governor ought to spell out which guidelines he will go by and how they will be implemented by him. He can do just about anything he chooses, just as with his fellows in NY, MI, Il, MN, NJ, PA, WI, CA, and elsewhere.
As you can see in his letter, he was perfectly willing to call and discuss those exact things with them.

So far, the Republican Party has not been successful in getting the governor to say much of anything...except that it's "unlikely" that he'll allow it. Moving it now is just about the Party's only choice.
How is choosing a new venue for an event two years in the making with only three months left less of a hassle than just sticking with the current one and talking to Roy Cooper (a man who seems perfectly willing to discuss things, stands to make money off the covention and is not, as your emptily claimed, 'hostile') about the best ways to implement? I'm not an expert, I admit, but the latter seems like way less of a hassle than the former.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind, Roy Cooper is among those spending millions. He only stands to lose by not having the convention here.
The Democratic governors of all those states I mentioned have been willing to damage their states' economies and play favorites among the groups and people either favored or disfavored by their edicts, so what makes you think Cooper would be any different when faced with a Republican National Convention in his own state? It's always assumed that holding a nominating convention in any state gives that party a boost for the coming election.

As you can see in his letter, he was perfectly willing to call and discuss those exact things with them.
Which he has been doing for months without saying anything definite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
It's always assumed that holding a nominating convention in any state gives that party a boost for the coming election.
Perhaps.

But Roy Cooper has been the governer of my fine state for, oh, about 1250 DAYS now.

If he didn't want it here, you'd think he would've taken measures to nix it far earlier. It's not like he could've known the coronavirus would come along and complicate things. As I seem to recall, there was even a push from the legislature for him to not have the convention here, and he insisted on it.

Which he has been doing for months without saying anything definite.
Has he? The impression I got from the letter was that they were more or less on the same page until Trump insisted that they get a 100% convention, throwing things into disarray.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure that Trump will find a site in FL or TX. I suspect that this decision won't help his political chances in NC.

I'm not sure why we fuss so over the election. Trump will quite likely invoke emergencies powers and delay the election until after a COVID vaccine is generally available. And yes, his Supreme Court might well back the Executive of the US, as they backed the Executive of California.
There must be good money in holding the convention - why else bother when the outcome is so preordained?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to assume that Trump will obey the law. His AG says that he cannot commit any crimes while in office.
Not quite - a sitting president can not be charged with a crime, but he can certainly commit them.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There must be good money in holding the convention - why else bother when the outcome is so preordained?

With all of the Hollywood productions shut down, Scott Baio and Antonio Sabato Jr could both probably use the work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...in keeping with Trump's campaign objectives (blame the outsider) -- I think they should have the convention at the border wall....

Attendees can pitch tents in the desert (plenty of space) and sign up to:
1) patrol the border complete with uniforms and AR-15's
2) paint the border wall black (Trump's latest wall wish)

...plus, in 110 degree heat and tents pitched 6' apart, the risk of covid 19 infection would be slight...

190918-donald-trump-border-wall-ew-653p_fa13466892eac0c59f7212deed93e59e.jpg

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not quite - a sitting president can not be charged with a crime, but he can certainly commit them.

The SC has not ruled. It is an open issue as of now. As of now, no action committed by the president while he is president is a "crime".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

???

A lot more happens at a convention than a nomination, which obviously doesn't need more than a phone poll. The same is true of the Democratic convention.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn’t that bother you, even a little bit? I mean, look at that sentence - the President wants to ignore the instructions and guidelines set out by the CDC. His CDC. It’s not like this is some independent agency, they’re a part of the government that he runs, and he wants to ignore their own safety measures.

How is that not a problem to you?

No one asked for my opinion. But, yes the behavior of the president is troubling to me, in this matter, and in many others.

However, even I won't go overboard. The CDC recommendations do not have the force of law. States and cities are not bound by their recommendations. This is obviously true or almost no states would be opening, certainly not past Phase One.

Upvote 0