Trump Announces His Plan to Change Constitution by Executive Order - End Birthright Citizenship

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, that is not a requirement of asylum. They may seek to be in a different country (Canada, for instance) or they can be permanent resident aliens or even temporary residents.
But they still have to go through due process and obtain an alien registration card (Green Card).

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps.

Either way, undocumented immigrant population would increase.

Eliminating birthright citizenship would INCREASE the undocumented population.

• Since children born to undocumented immigrants would presumably be undocumented, the size of the undocumented population would actually increase as a result of the new policy.

• Depending on the details of the changes to birthright citizenship laws, the Migration Policy Institute estimates that the number of unauthorized children living in the U.S. would increase dramatically if birthright citizenship were repealed. For example, if citizenship were denied to every child with at least one unauthorized parent, the unauthorized population in the U.S. would reach 24 million by 2050.

Or perhaps less people would illegally enter the US in order to have their baby automatically become US citizen.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When they become a US citizen so do their children. Their visas would include their children.
That's not how it works. Look it up.

That's because the issue isn't immigration. I'm not the one who's lumping the two together.
You read "immigration" as "illegal immigration". You are correct that that is not lumping them together, but it is mistakenly taking one for the other.

But they still have to go through due process and obtain an alien registration card (Green Card).
?? Yes, there is a process but the process for a Green Card is only if they apply for permanent residency, which is different that temporary asylum. One of the problems facing asylum seekers (and their hosts) is that they all too often do not have work permits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,090.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Or perhaps less people would illegally enter the US in order to have their baby automatically become US citizen.

There is no evidence that undocumented immigrants come to the U.S. just to give birth.

Fact-checking the claims about 'anchor babies' and whether illegal immigrants 'drop and leave'​

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's not true. Look it up.
I misspoke. Their child would also need a visa. Like an H-1B visa for the parent and an H-4 visa for the child. But I'm not sure what that has to do with a child born to illegal aliens automatically becoming a US citizen.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,199,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A “Green card” refers to permanent residency. Having your asylum claim heard or granted (the majority, 58% last year, are not) does not confer permanent residency.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,199,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is no evidence that undocumented immigrants come to the U.S. just to give birth.
There is a good bit of legal birth tourism but typically they leave after the birth.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I misspoke. Their child would also need a visa. Like an H-1B visa for the parent and an H-4 visa for the child. But I'm not sure what that has to do with a child born to illegal aliens automatically becoming a US citizen.
There are people here legally who may or may not be in the process of becoming citizens here. Some time during that process, they may have a child or two born here. Currently, that child is automatically a birthright citizen of the US (and may retain a citizenship from their parents' country of origin). Donald's edict, should he attempt it, would complicate matters of this kind.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Fact-checking the claims about 'anchor babies' and whether illegal immigrants 'drop and leave'​

I'm seeing claims being made by a private organisation.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟768,001.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Today, the right doesn't see a difference. Florida and Texas took asylum seekers, called them illegal aliens and transported them to democratic states.

The lack of empathy from the right is sickening.

What's wrong with that? The democrat run states are the ones that want more immigrants anyway. Sanctuary cities are overwhelming run by democrats.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,199,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Donald's edict, should he attempt it, would complicate matters of this kind.
If it gets to take a breath prior to being smacked down by the 14th amendment.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So sweatshop labor.
So much more than that! I think field work is the most common, but there is also manual labor, household help, restaurant work, hotel/motel industry...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are people here legally who may or may not be in the process of becoming citizens here. Some time during that process, they may have a child or two born here. Currently, that child is automatically a birthright citizen of the US (and may retain a citizenship from their parents' country of origin). Donald's edict, should he attempt it, would complicate matters of this kind.
What would be so complicated about someone here on an H-1B visa obtaining an H-4 visa for their child?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So much more than that! I think field work is the most common, but there is also manual labor, household help, restaurant work, hotel/motel industry...
With no worker protection and miniscule wages. A quasi slave force. That doesn't sound like something the left would fight for, so I find it perplexing.

Also I have done manual labor, household help and restaurant work with lots of other Americans, so that's not work Americans won't do.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With no worker protection and miniscule wages. A quasi slave force. That doesn't sound like something the left would fight for, so I find it perplexing.
Who is fighting for it?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seriously? What newborn needs a permit to work or study?
An H-4 visa is issued to dependent family members of H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 visa holders.

Did you tell me to look this stuff up without having looked it up yourself?

Upvote 0