Trump Announces His Plan to Change Constitution by Executive Order - End Birthright Citizenship

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ah, so it's flexible rather than absolute.
Only in the sense that there is only one kind of citizenship and all citizens have the right to renounce said citizenship. (Usually. International law now forbids it if the person would be rendered stateless.)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A child born to those in the US legally isn't ambiguous.

As for my analogy, what if Canadians who unintentionally have a child while technically in America, don't want their child to be an American? There's lots of people who don't like America and Americans after all.

Well they'll raise their kid in Canada, and the child can choose to renounce their American citizenship once they become an adult. It's not that hard.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well they'll raise their kid in Canada, and the child can choose to renounce their American citizenship once they become an adult. It's not that hard.

-CryptoLutheran
I'm pretty sure they aren't obliged to take American citizenship anyways.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People weren't coming into the US illegally to expoit the 18th amendment.

As a side note I'll say Trump is just making an empty campaign promise in my opinion. I think if he could, he probably would, but I don't think he can. However if he becomes president, that's a good indication that the majority of American voters are in favor of ratifying the 14th Amendment.
The 14th Amendment was already ratified; perhaps you mean it shows the majority are in favor of amending it. However, it really wouldn't... even if Trump won the election by a majority of the vote, it would only mean that a majority of voters voted for him. People vote for candidates for a wide variety of issues, someone winning a majority doesn't mean a majority agree with them on any specific issue. Thus it would prove absolutely nothing about their thoughts on the specific question of the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment.
A child born to those in the US legally isn't ambiguous.

As for my analogy, what if Canadians who unintentionally have a child while technically in America, don't want their child to be an American? There's lots of people who don't like America and Americans after all.

There is little disadvantage to American citizenship, or any citizenship really. Worst case scenario you never come to America and it never matters, but if you ever do want to go to America for any reason, or perhaps move there, having citizenship makes a lot of things way easier. While in some cases it might be required to renounce citizenship (for example, if you're trying to gain citizenship of a country that does not allow dual citizenship), even that leaves you no worse for having been an American citizen previously.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not think that President Trump (47) would have the political capital to Amend the Constitution.
Ain’t gonna happen.
I don't think so either by himself. But a ratification could happen. It could be that the majority of Americans have become in favor the kinds of immigration laws and tactics espoused by Trump and DeSantis. It could be that ever since they've gotten a taste of what passive border control and passive law enforcement has lead to, they're going to want tougher standards put in place, and therefore a president who wants to put tougher standards in place. There's still over a full year for things to get worse before voters start casting ballots.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so either by himself. But a ratification could happen. It could be that the majority of Americans have become in favor the kinds of immigration laws and tactics espoused by Trump and DeSantis. It could be that ever since they've gotten a taste of what passive border control and passive law enforcement has lead to, they're going to want tougher standards put in place, and therefore a president who wants to put tougher standards in place. There's still over a full year for things to get worse before voters start casting ballots.
You do realize it takes a 2/3rds majority in BOTH the House and Senate to even propose an amendment and then ratification by 3/4th of the state legislatures, or do you?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do realize it takes a 2/3rds majority in BOTH the House and Senate to even propose an amendment and then ratification by 3/4th of the state legislatures, or do you?
Yes I do. The way things have been going downhill and the dissatisfaction of voters rising, the number of politicians needed might be put in office.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes I do. The way things have been going downhill and the dissatisfaction of voters rising, the number of politicians needed might be put in office.
The people who constitute Trump supporters are only about 23% of the general population.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, no, raw numbers, 333,000,000 x .23= 76,590,000
I'm not seeing Trump supporters are 23% of the general population on that page. Or are you going by how many votes he got last time? Besides if Biden is the only other choice, that might motivate voters and electors to pick Trump when they normally wouldn't have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0