Trump businesses received $7.8 million in payments from foreign governments and officials during presidency

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When politicians talk about putting their assets in a trust, they're usually referring to a "blind trust" that's managed by somebody not close to the politician, and where the assets within it aren't visible to the politician (so they can't knowingly make policy that enriches themselves). Better politicians would liquidate their original assets first, so all they put into the trust is cash.

That's not what Trump did. Trump put his original assets into a trust run by his son and CFO. He knew what assets were in there and, even though he allegedly didn't have control over them, he did wield influence over the people managing them.

Hotels keep these records. I'm not going to dig it up now, but I believe the law states that federal officials have to disclose income received from foreign sources (including through legitimate business dealings) and IIRC, Trump's businesses have disclosed that revenue.
Nancy Pelosi, the richest in Congress last I read, didn't put her assets in a qualified blind trust either. And even if she did- people still know what stock they bought, no matter who they are.

Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nancy Pelosi, the richest in Congress last I read, didn't put her assets in a qualified blind trust either.
Did she not or did her husband (the main breadwinner) not?

Either way, I’m not really interested in defending Nancy Pelosi.

And even if she did- people still know what stock they bought, no matter who they are.
You know what goes into the trust, but you don’t know if/when those assets get sold. It’s hardly perfect.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private