Trump Announces His Plan to Change Constitution by Executive Order - End Birthright Citizenship

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the history. And I also know that the words are meaningless today considering half of the nation wants to close it's borders...shut the door and become isolationists.

The need for immigrants today in America is just as strong as it was back in the day. The immigration system needs reformed to allow people in to fill the jobs Americans are unwilling to do.
You're right those 19th century words don't apply well in the 21st century. One has to wonder if Emma Lazarus would have come up with those same lyrics in 1983 if she had been born a century later.

I'm not arguing against immigration you know. The jobs Americans are supposedly unwilling to do usually boils down to picking crops, which migrant farm workers with Green Cards are welcome to do. Or are you in favor of illegal workers being put under sweatshop type conditions working 16 hours a day in the hot sun for minuscule wages?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, you took what I wrote and made it whatever you wanted it to be.

I suggest you take some time and research what asylum in America really is.
I think it's more like you're not getting anywhere with what you wrote.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hitler was a strong man who knew nothing about righteousness. Once a dictator is put in place, their words are law.
Thats why we need to elevate a righteous man like Donald J Trump who with the wave of his little-fingered hand will sweep away obsolete portions of the constitution.

(Also we desperately need Melania's bold and powerful Christmas themes back in the White House asap. Look how its devolved since the stolen election....)

63ac4efea51b3d00185b0368

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You're right those 19th century words don't apply well in the 21st century. One has to wonder if Emma Lazarus would have come up with those same lyrics in 1983 if she had been born a century later.

I'm not arguing against immigration you know. The jobs Americans are supposedly unwilling to do usually boils down to picking crops, which migrant farm workers with Green Cards are welcome to do. Or are you in favor of illegal workers being put under sweatshop type conditions working 16 hours a day in the hot sun for minuscule wages?
Absent immigration US will experience an economically crippling demographic slump. Just one reality to throw into the mix.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Thats why we need to elevate a righteous man like Donald J Trump who with the wave of his little-fingered hand will sweep away obsolete portions of the constitution.

(Also we desperately need Melania's bold and powerful Christmas themes back in the White House asap. Look how its devolved since the stolen election....)

63ac4efea51b3d00185b0368
bravo. Well done. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I think it's more like you're not getting anywhere with what you wrote.
I don't care. It is what I see, and I don't hold back. People coming to America to seek asylum are desperate just to find a stability their home country cannot provide. We, as Christians should do our very best to help these people. Yes, they are PEOPLE, just like you and I, and not just statistics in which politicians can use to further their careers and make money.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It would be nice if a former president and contender to be a future president could pass a basic civics test.

It's not the world I live in but it would be nice.
Indeed. It demonstrates how effective his authoritative populism is on those equally void in the understanding of basic civics.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't care. It is what I see, and I don't hold back. People coming to America to seek asylum are desperate just to find a stability their home country cannot provide. We, as Christians should do our very best to help these people. Yes, they are PEOPLE, just like you and I, and not just statistics in which politicians can use to further their careers and make money.
The US government does help them. And so do private organizations. And people are still welcome to become US citizens. Is there no problem you see with millions of people pouring into the US illegally? As far as politicians exploiting them and the situation for gain, I do see that being a problem. But I'm probably thinking of different set of politicians than you are.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absent immigration US will experience an economically crippling demographic slump. Just one reality to throw into the mix.
Are you saying that not letting millions pour into the US illegally will cripple the economy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's the difference between those coming into the US from the same foreign countries calling themselves asylum seekers and illegal aliens? How do you separate the two?
Asylum seekers immediately turn themselves over to US authorities and ask for asylum.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're right. You said it's up to the US to grant them asylum. But you also brought up those who were not granted asylum, calling it a sickening lack of empathy. So is that it's a sickening lack of empathy for the US to not grant asylum. And aren't asylum seekers required to become legal citizens if they intend on staying in the US?
No, that is not a requirement of asylum. They may seek to be in a different country (Canada, for instance) or they can be permanent resident aliens or even temporary residents.

How many of those asylum seekers do you think were actually planning on going back home?
It depends on their particular reason for seeking asylum and whether those conditions change.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that not letting millions pour into the US illegally will cripple the economy?
That isn't what he said at all. It is you who read "immigration" and transformed it into "illegal immigration".

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you get your head out of you know where, you will see the difference between legal and illegal. Trump's proposal is directed at those in the country illegally. It doesn't have anything to do with legal immigrants. So unless Trump's ancestors or my ancestors were illegal aliens, you're making a false equivalency.
Wouldn't that affect the children of legal immigrants as well, though? Citizenship is not granted immediately upon immigration, even legal immigration -> citizenship can take a good number of years. People can be here on work visas, student visas, tourist visas, etc. legally. They can be here on a temporary visa pending a permanent residency or citizenship.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Wouldn't that affect the children of legal immigrants as well, though? Citizenship is not granted immediately upon immigration, even legal immigration -> citizenship can take a good number of years. People can be here on work visas, student visas, tourist visas, etc. legally. They can be here on a temporary visa pending a permanent residency or citizenship.
Perhaps.

Either way, undocumented immigrant population would increase.

Eliminating birthright citizenship would INCREASE the undocumented population.

• Since children born to undocumented immigrants would presumably be undocumented, the size of the undocumented population would actually increase as a result of the new policy.

• Depending on the details of the changes to birthright citizenship laws, the Migration Policy Institute estimates that the number of unauthorized children living in the U.S. would increase dramatically if birthright citizenship were repealed. For example, if citizenship were denied to every child with at least one unauthorized parent, the unauthorized population in the U.S. would reach 24 million by 2050.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You mean those who go through due process like those who become legal immigrants go through due process.
Claiming asylum and having that claim evaluated by the courts is what makes the distinction between asylum seekers and illegal economic migrants.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The jobs Americans are supposedly unwilling to do usually boils down to…
…Employers not wanting to deal with paying the amount required to have those jobs done without illegal labor pushing wages down.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When they become a US citizen so do their children. Their visas would include their children.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That isn't what he said at all. It is you who read "immigration" and transformed it into "illegal immigration".
That's because the issue isn't immigration. I'm not the one who's lumping the two together.

Upvote 0